Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    John_V85
    Warning about Fires Galore.
    • 11th May 10, 9:55 PM
    Warning about Fires Galore. 11th May 10 at 9:55 PM
    Just a quick warning in case anyone is thinking of ordering a fireplace. Do not order from fires galore (www.firesgalore.co.uk). I placed an order several weeks ago and upon hearing nothing from them tried to get into contact last week. The sales number redirected to an insolvency practitioner who said they were going into insolvency and I would not receive my fireplace.

Thankfully I paid by Visa so can claim my money back, but it looks like they're still operating the website and the sales line (which has incidentally changed) now refers to no problems.

Be careful, very careful.
Page 1
    • Nile
    • By Nile 12th May 10, 12:00 AM
    • 14,361 Posts
    • 14,313 Thanks
    Nile
    • 12th May 10, 12:00 AM
    • 12th May 10, 12:00 AM
    Hi, Martinís asked me to post this in these circumstances: Iíve asked Board Guides to move threads if theyíll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • paullavis
    • 21st May 10, 11:17 AM
    Problem with fires galore
    • 21st May 10, 11:17 AM
    John thats interesting, I ordered a fire from there 9 days ago. This hasnt come so I called the mobile on the website yesterday and spoke to a lady called Corinne. She claimed that they had just bought fires galore at the end of last week and that they werent sure if this order was pre this time or post this time. It was later in the day and so she advised a call back at 0830 this morning when she was in the office.

No call, now this line is disabled and so is the landline I found on the internet.

I paid with a visa debit, what can I do???
  • mikkykitten
    • 21st May 10, 3:57 PM
    • 21st May 10, 3:57 PM
    John thats interesting, I ordered a fire from there 9 days ago. This hasnt come so I called the mobile on the website yesterday and spoke to a lady called Corinne. She claimed that they had just bought fires galore at the end of last week and that they werent sure if this order was pre this time or post this time. It was later in the day and so she advised a call back at 0830 this morning when she was in the office.

No call, now this line is disabled and so is the landline I found on the internet.

I paid with a visa debit, what can I do???
    Originally posted by paullavis

Having had the same problem i did get a reply by email from the new website owners and the said::
    "
    Good morning,

Please contact Rhys Wordsworth of Walsh Taylor on 0871 222 8308. The company that owned Firesgalore at the time of your order has gone into liquidation.
    We have just bought Firesgalore domain name and website. Please contact the liquidators to be advised of the procedure you need to follow.

Kind regards"

I rang the number which connects you with the office secretary, and she put me through to Nicola Smith instead of Rhys. Very helpful and she posted forms off yesterday afternoon. Mum received them this morning but they are quite confusing (she is in north wales and i cant get away from cornwall to help her for 2 weeks due to my shift work). But i got Mum to ring her bank (HSBC) yesterday who are sending a form to her to complete and sign and have stated as it was paid with Visa they will reimburse the £305.50. she is eldery and just getting over chemo...so hopefully the bank option and help will be the easiest for her as she gets really confused and upsed trying to navigate through the options on these helplines at the bank.

So may i suggest anybody else having probs get hold of the above number ASAP as Nicola stated final liquidation and representation at that meeting will take place on the 8th June.

good luck...Mikky
    Last edited by mikkykitten; 21-05-2010 at 4:01 PM. Reason: typo!
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 21st May 10, 4:09 PM
    • 79,292 Posts
    • 9,733,691 Thanks
    weeowens
    • 21st May 10, 4:09 PM
    • 21st May 10, 4:09 PM
    post #5 by hezitate passed to abuse
  • mikkykitten
    • 22nd May 10, 4:41 PM
    • 22nd May 10, 4:41 PM
    i have also sent info to SagePay about the problems. asked them to stop anymore payments being processed via that site as they are the active card clearance people....would not want anybody else to trip into the problems of no fire and no refund. dont know when the site will be taken down...
    • waqas
    • By waqas 25th May 10, 3:15 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    waqas
    • 25th May 10, 3:15 PM
    • 25th May 10, 3:15 PM
    Hi, I ordered from these guys on 08/04/10 but my order did not arrive and they said it would take longer as they need to order the parts. I waited a week but they said it will still take longer so cancelled the order. Oddly enough they said it would take 30 days for a refund.

Telephoned a few days ago and they said that the company was in liquidation, telephoned
    insolvency practitioner who said that they could not give my money back.
    I paid by Visa Debit, and went to my bank, the lady said they can’t do much and filled a fraud form and said we’ll see where we go.
    Can I get me money back? What should I do?
    Thanks
  • mikkykitten
    • 25th May 10, 7:18 PM
    claim fraud
    • 25th May 10, 7:18 PM
    Hi, I ordered from these guys on 08/04/10 but my order did not arrive and they said it would take longer as they need to order the parts. I waited a week but they said it will still take longer so cancelled the order. Oddly enough they said it would take 30 days for a refund.

Telephoned a few days ago and they said that the company was in liquidation, telephoned insolvency practitioner who said that they could not give my money back.
    I paid by Visa Debit, and went to my bank, the lady said they canít do much and filled a fraud form and said weíll see where we go.
    Can I get me money back? What should I do?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by waqas
    you ordered on the 8th? well the company applied for insolvency/liquidation on the 7 May 2010. So by rights they should not have processed your order after they had stopped trading and therefore can only suggest you woul be right to claim for fraudulent debit of your card. Today i received from Mum via the post, the documentation from Walsh Taylor. It clearly states therein that application was made and signed and dated the 7th May 2010, by John Hughes

hope this helps....Mikky
    • waqas
    • By waqas 25th May 10, 9:45 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    waqas
    • 25th May 10, 9:45 PM
    • 25th May 10, 9:45 PM
    you ordered on the 8th? well the company applied for insolvency/liquidation on the 7 May 2010. So by rights they should not have processed your order after they had stopped trading and therefore can only suggest you woul be right to claim for fraudulent debit of your card. Today i received from Mum via the post, the documentation from Walsh Taylor. It clearly states therein that application was made and signed and dated the 7th May 2010, by John Hughes

hope this helps....Mikky
    Originally posted by mikkykitten
    Hi, it was the 8th of April though, not May.

As they never sent or even dispatched the goods and charged me, do I not have any protection under the SGA?
  • mikkykitten
    oh sorry, i misread your post. look like they have been in trouble a while..i notice the website is still capable of taking orders by the looks of it...lets just hope we can get our banks to refund us.
  • mikkykitten
    visa chargeback
    just been doing a lil more reading before i set off for work (last night then a cupple day of )

hxxp://www2.visaeurope.com/contact/main.jsp?src=home_page

is interesting reading...site states>>

Q: Does Visa offer me any protection if I am unhappy with a transaction?

A: There is no safer way to pay than with a Visa card. If you are an innocent victim of fraud, do not receive goods or services you have ordered, if the goods are lost or if you received the wrong goods, you can get your money back (subject to your bank’s terms and conditions).

To start the process you need to contact your issuing bank and explain what happened. This facility applies to all cards issued by Visa but not to all non-Visa cards.

If your bank representative is not familiar with the scheme you need to tell them you are asking them to pursue a ‘chargeback’ through the Visa system.

I have sent mums forms from Walsh Taylor back..i think that the bank would be interested in that. anyway mum far too poorly to attend even if she could. I have included all the email communication of confirmation of order and the Sagepay confirmation page. She should get it tomorrow then complete the claim form she received from HSBC, post them all off and hopefully be reimbursed quickly..... i am now emailing Black Ram Web Site services advising them of the liquidation asking for them to shut the site down. am still concerned people could place orders
    Last edited by mikkykitten; 26-05-2010 at 3:33 PM. Reason: addendum
  • mikkykitten
    number changed AGAIN!
    i see there is a new number on the website??

Had a reply from Black Ram...firesgalored are now hosted by 1&1..have emailed their fraud team. given the relevant information. asked them to consider taking the site down!

checking the NEW number on the web...i see it comes up a:

IKEA home sofas wardrobes kitchens bookcases tables chairs lighting
    Holden Ing Way Batley West Yorkshire WF17 9AE
    T: 01924 423296

so i am not sure what is going on...... i there a new company buying fires galore....will our orders be fulfilled??

• spire1
    firesgalore
    Hi everyone
    I ordered a fire and surround for £439 on the 26 march from corinne at
    firesgalore.For the next 6 weeks i had every excuse from them that you
    could think of.Every time i rang them they said they would ring me back in
    10 mins,they never did.They were waiting for delivery or it had been delivered to them damaged.After 6 weeks id had enough,when i rang then again a lady was very nasty on the phone,she said they had gone bust and i would after contact walsh taylor and take it up with them.I Rang them and because i paid with my maestro debit card they said i had no protection and i would not get any money back.I was gutted i am not a rich man and carnt afford to lose that kind of money.Ive filled the forms out from walsh taylor but im not holding my breath.I rang my bank but they did not want to know.Tried trading standards who took all my details but didnt think they could do anything.I rang firesgalore again who tried to sell me a fire before i told them why i had rang,she then changed her tone.She said it was a new company that had bought the name firesgalore.I asked her if she had worked for the old company and did she now work for the new company,she refuse to say.I asked her if it had the same owners,she refused to say and hung up on me.Sounds to me that corinne and co are working for both and are still taking people's money.Sorry for the long reply but i feel very hard done by and had to get it off my chest. I had have my fire taken out because i had to have boiler changed,so now ive got a hole in my wall where my fire should be.
    BE CAREFULL WITH THIS COMPANY
  • mikkykitten
    sorry to hear that spire.....seems Maestro cards are pants too....for future protection are you going to change banks and use Visa??.......i cant seem to get to firesgalore website anymore..so perhaps, finally, after contacting 1&1 they have blocked the site to stop more frauduelnt bizznizz taking place......still waiting to hear if mum will get her money back from HSBC Visa....
    Last edited by mikkykitten; 01-06-2010 at 7:59 PM. Reason: dixlesia edit !
  • spire1
    In future everything i buy will by credit card and then payoff with debit card after.When i looked for a fireplace i checked out firesglore and didnt find anything wrong with them,how wrong was i.I Feel like they stole from me.They knew that they had problems but they still took mine and everybody elses money.It really got my back up,but im a firm believer of what goes around comes around.
  • John2010
    I ordered an fire suite from Firesaglore, after 7 weeks I was getting no answer, bear in mind I was told it was in stock and be with me within 5 days. I luckily paid on my Visa so I was covered. I saw the suite on Fireplacesaver.co.uk when I rang them I wanted to make sure i was dealing with a proper company and not cowboys like the last lot, the lad I spoke to, James, was very helpful told me how long they had been going, they had there own warehouse, items in stock. I explained my experience with Firesgalore and he suggested that I could pick the fire suite up from there warehouse, I ordered the suite and I picked it up 2 days later. There are some genuine companies out there, like this one. Firesgalore are now back up and running, I just rang them to speak to somebody but went to voicemail, I would advise people to avoid Firesgalore at all costs.
  • John2010
    sorry to hear that spire.....seems Maestro cards are pants too....for future protection are you going to change banks and use Visa??.......i cant seem to get to firesgalore website anymore..so perhaps, finally, after contacting 1&1 they have blocked the site to stop more frauduelnt bizznizz taking place......still waiting to hear if mum will get her money back from HSBC Visa....
    Originally posted by mikkykitten

the site is back up and running
  • John2010
    firesgalore are up and running answering the phones again
  • mikkykitten
    monkeys
    yes i see the site is accessable again. hmmm...

ma still waiting to here from bank re refund..

not heard anything else....maybe will ring Walsh again next week..see if they are still trading...if i get time ill see if i can find info on the internet regarding the wind up meeting held on the 7th, dont know if theres public records of these meetings??
  • mikkykitten
    More letters
    Mums had more confusing paperwork as a "creditor"!! from Walsh and Taylor regarding repayment of money. cant get up there to help here this week, but her brother their..cant find any more info on whats happening..just have to play the waiting game....nothing from the bank yet not even an acknowledgement of the paperwork sent to them..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,512Posts Today

8,312Users online

Martin's Twitter