Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 17th Aug 06, 11:50 AM
    • 2,517Posts
    • 3,130Thanks
    annie-c
    August Update: What are you growing in 2006? Tips for fruit/veggies/flowers
    • 17th Aug 06, 11:50 AM
    August Update: What are you growing in 2006? Tips for fruit/veggies/flowers 17th Aug 06 at 11:50 AM
    This is a (very belated) continuation of the 'What are you growing' thread.

Thanks to everyone who has posted throughout the year! Please join in below with updates, questions and queries on how to make your garden grow!

I have learned loads in this, my first year, of growing fruit/veggies and flowers in the garden.

Sadly I haven't produced loads.... but I've had respectable crops of new potatoes, chillis, peppers and tomatoes - all grown in buckets, and I have started off an apple tree and a selection of soft fruits that I hope will fruit well next year...

I am struggling at the moment because the heatwave ended before my tomatoes and peppers ripened... so now I have a lot of green produce out in my cold, wet back garden.. and I'll just have to start ripening it on the windowsill soon if the bad weather continues.

But it's been fun! I plan to stick in a few late crop spuds for Christmas and will keep a few herbs going for as long as possible, but once the tomatoes etc are done then, to be honest, I am almost looking forward to tidying up the garden and having a rest for a couple of months - I never realised gardening was such hard work!!!!!

It's been a lot of fun though, and I am so grateful for the tips I received from these threads. I'm going to keep them going til the end of the year and then look back over them and compile a selection of the best tips and use the month-by-month sections to help me plan my garden for next year... well, I will need something to fill the time when I no longer have a brood of hungry tomato plants to tend to!!!!

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 22-08-2006 at 3:35 PM.
Page 1
  • kjl26
    • 17th Aug 06, 12:36 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 12:36 PM
    Hi Annie,

Just a quick note, as I have had the same problem with some of my tumbler toms (also my first year of growing) - my OH's mum mentioned that if you put a ripe red tomato in with/close to your green ones it will cajole them into ripening (something to do with a chemical which causes ripening?). Anyhow, someone will correct me if this is very wrong, but it seems to have worked with mine (some fell off the bush while green and after I put them next to a ripe one they've all gone red).

Katie
    • CCStar
    • By CCStar 17th Aug 06, 12:47 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    CCStar
    • 17th Aug 06, 12:47 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 12:47 PM
    My apples are coming along a treat - I have cookers and eaters

the courgettes and beans are tailing off.

I have two lovely sunflowers just flowering.

My toms are still green

My sage and oregano is going strong
    An average day in my life
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 17th Aug 06, 1:43 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 17th Aug 06, 1:43 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 1:43 PM
    Hi Annie,

Just a quick note, as I have had the same problem with some of my tumbler toms (also my first year of growing) - my OH's mum mentioned that if you put a ripe red tomato in with/close to your green ones it will cajole them into ripening (something to do with a chemical which causes ripening?). Anyhow, someone will correct me if this is very wrong, but it seems to have worked with mine (some fell off the bush while green and after I put them next to a ripe one they've all gone red).

Katie
    by kjl26
    Thanks Katie. I tried the tomato thing too, but it didn't work on the green ones, and the red one got over ripe and split! (didn't work quickly enough for impatient me anyway!!! ). Then I was advised to try putting them into a bag or a drawer with a ripe banana - I have done this now and am awaiting the results.....
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 17th Aug 06, 1:44 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 17th Aug 06, 1:44 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 1:44 PM
    Mmm, I forgot; I have sage too. Does anyone know if it is an annual or a perennial? I'd like to keep it going so I can have HM sage and onion stuffing for Christmas... along with my new pots!!
  • kjl26
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:22 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:22 PM
    Thanks Katie. I tried the tomato thing too, but it didn't work on the green ones, and the red one got over ripe and split! (didn't work quickly enough for impatient me anyway!!! ). Then I was advised to try putting them into a bag or a drawer with a ripe banana - I have done this now and am awaiting the results.....
    by annie-c
    Oh I guess it's not that great a tip then!! (I think you can remove the red one once it's got the green ones started btw...if it ever does!!) Thanks for the bag/banana tip, might need that later on - lots of green ones yet.... (Any ideas on ripening chillis/peppers? My chillis all look great hanging off the plants but don't seem to be growing much bigger and/or ripening.)
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 17th Aug 06, 2:31 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:31 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:31 PM
    Oh, sorry to have bad news about the ripe tomato tip... To be honest, I may have picked the green ones way too early - they were not vaguely ripening, they were like green bullets!!!

My chillis and peppers are also green - but I have just been using them up green....

Hopefully they will still be alive and not floating off down the back path when I get home - we are getting torrential rain at the moment!!!!!!!
  • kjl26
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:45 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:45 PM
    Oh, no worries. I also have some cherry toms on plants that I think I grew too tall and leggy (in pots) that are always strewn across the path when I get home at the moment...they seem to be taking forever to go green. We seem to have avoided the rain so far today (unlike yesterday) -whereabouts are you?

I think I will start using the chillis green - there are enough to experiment with leaving some on the plants anyhow. My peppers haven't even flowered, I think traumatised by an early encounter with hungry insects.
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 17th Aug 06, 2:48 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:48 PM
    • 17th Aug 06, 2:48 PM
    If I have a sprouting potato, can I put it into a bin with some soil and grow my own potatoes??? if so, when will I know when they are ready??? :confused: And any ideas for what I can grow in a studio flat would be much appreciated!!! (just one big window and sill)
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082!
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 16,956 Debt now: 0.00
    Aims: clear debt, get married, buy a house ALL DONE!!
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 17th Aug 06, 4:33 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    Hi Purpleprincess.

You can do this, I suppose, but it could get messy if you are doing it inside....and you will need to make sure it gets plenty of light and fresh air, and not too much warmth from the central heating....

As the potato grows, you'll need to keep filling the bin with soil to cover the growing leaves. Then it will continue to grow 2-3 feet higher than the top of the bin. You'll need to have put holes in the bottom of the bin for drainage and then you'll have to have some way of collecting the drained water each time you water it.

Personally I would try growing something a bit simpler for the windowsill. Next year you could do tomatoes peppers and chillies, for example. This year you still have time to grow salad leaves and herbs and garlic.
    • pickledtink
    • By pickledtink 17th Aug 06, 4:48 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    pickledtink
    If I have a sprouting potato, can I put it into a bin with some soil and grow my own potatoes??? if so, when will I know when they are ready??? :confused: And any ideas for what I can grow in a studio flat would be much appreciated!!! (just one big window and sill)
    by **purpleprincess**
    You can but with such limited space it probably isn't the best use of your space.
    Too late for much this year but one window sill can be a great little mini produce provider. If you screw a couple of brackets into the wall either side and hang a couple of baskets you could grow tomatoes in them too ( next year though now)
    Even now you could put a window box outside on the sill and a line of pots inside.
    Grow radishes, herbs, chard, cut and come again salad and spinach. All these could be sown now to give you something to eat within weeks!
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 17th Aug 06, 4:58 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    Oh, forgot to say that I was planning on doing the potatoes in boyf's mum's garden!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082!
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 16,956 Debt now: 0.00
    Aims: clear debt, get married, buy a house ALL DONE!!
    • Lychee
    • By Lychee 17th Aug 06, 5:04 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Lychee
    As the potato grows, you'll need to keep filling the bin with soil to cover the growing leaves. Then it will continue to grow 2-3 feet higher than the top of the bin. You'll need to have put holes in the bottom of the bin for drainage and then you'll have to have some way of collecting the drained water each time you water it.
    by annie-c
    is it too late to try growing potatoes? How long does it take for potatoes to grow?

Also, when do you stop filling the bin with soil to cover growing leaves?

all help much appreciated!! Thanks
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 17th Aug 06, 6:20 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    Oh, forgot to say that I was planning on doing the potatoes in boyf's mum's garden!!
    by **purpleprincess**
    In that case, no it's not too late. Potatoes take 3-5 months to grow depending on the variety and the weather. Ideally you would use specially cultivated seed potatoes from a garden centree, but lot of people on the site have had success with a sprouted one from the veg bag. It's not a good idea to plant ordinary ones 'loose' in the garden, as they can spread potato disease, but if you are growing in buckets, then you'll do fine..

Here is a link to a post on the May Update thread, with a photo showing what you do when the potato reaches the top of the bucket:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=2086461&postcount=29
  • Mermaid
    Cheaper alternative to using bucket
    Here is a link to a post on the May Update thread, with a photo showing what you do when the potato reaches the top of the bucket:
    by annie-c
    This has just reminded me about an item I saw on Gardener's World a couple of years ago. They grew new potatoes in a used compost sack with holes punched in with a garden fork for drainage. You start with the sack rolled down and then roll it up as you add more soil. You then split the side of the sack to get the potatoes out.

They didn't show you the end result, but mentioned in a later program that it had worked. If I recall correctly, they said that if you started the potatoes off in August, they'd be ready in time for Christmas dinner...

Happy gardening,

Mermaid
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 18th Aug 06, 12:47 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    This has just reminded me about an item I saw on Gardener's World a couple of years ago. They grew new potatoes in a used compost sack with holes punched in with a garden fork for drainage. You start with the sack rolled down and then roll it up as you add more soil. You then split the side of the sack to get the potatoes out.
    by Mermaid
    Yes thanks for adding this, a few people on the earlier threads have used this method - there are photos somewhere of potato plants in grow bags.

The only thing with this method is that I don't know how stable the bags would be in freak weather - and this summer, along with all the lovely sunshine we have had one freak hailstorm and several torrential downpours - and my buckets have happily survived to tell the tale.....
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 19th Aug 06, 11:31 AM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 13,306 Thanks
    cathybird
    Last year I planted some potatoes in August and harvested them a couple of months later. The leaves seemed to die off more quickly than the spuds planted at the start of the year. Got a respectable crop tho. I love potatoes so much - easy to grow and so delicious fresh, a meal in themselves. I got quite a nice crop this year too. My only problem is I keep putting the damn fork through them when I'm trying to dig them up!
    No. 15 in Save 12K in 2018. 6,732.53/12,000
    Nov AFDs: 16/21. 2018 AFDs: 269/260. 2017: 306/252
    Mortgage 1/6/18: 46,436.38. 40,700.00 Paid off: 5,736.38
  • wigginsmum
    I'm awaiting some Carlingford seed potatoes, and we'll be growing them as new potatoes for Christmas. Haven't decided yet whether we'll put them in the ground on the allotment or in a stack of old tyres up there.

Still picking loads of Swiss chard and tomatoes from the garden.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • QueenB.
    • By QueenB. 19th Aug 06, 12:11 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 2,887 Thanks
    QueenB.
    Wish i had found this thread earlier:rolleyes:

This year we have really been trying to get our large garden into some type of order, we only moved in last year and the garden tends to get left with just the odd mow now and then to make sure we don't lose the children

But as it is so big i really want to use part of it to grow my own herbs and veg and fruit, plus one day would like to keep some chickens.

Feel a bit sad that its too late for most bits now and i am not in anyway green fingered so i feel abit daunted by the whole gardening prospect, but at least i can spend the dark winter months reading through these gardening threads and getting all the tips for the coming year
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
    • pickledtink
    • By pickledtink 19th Aug 06, 1:40 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    pickledtink
    Wish i had found this thread earlier:rolleyes:

This year we have really been trying to get our large garden into some type of order, we only moved in last year and the garden tends to get left with just the odd mow now and then to make sure we don't lose the children

But as it is so big i really want to use part of it to grow my own herbs and veg and fruit, plus one day would like to keep some chickens.

Feel a bit sad that its too late for most bits now and i am not in anyway green fingered so i feel abit daunted by the whole gardening prospect, but at least i can spend the dark winter months reading through these gardening threads and getting all the tips for the coming year
    by QueenB.
    It's not to late if you hurtle out there and dig a bit over quickly. You could still sow a few things to give you some quick crops; Chard, Radishes ( leaves can be cooked and eaten like spinach) cut and come again salad leaves, Rocket, basil and coriander grow fast. Sow garlic, cabbage, carrots and onions which you'll be eating in March/April
    You could always get some plug plants from some of the online seedling suppliers. Probably still time for some Broccolli, Kale etc. Leeks definately and onions.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.rocketgardens.co.uk/about-us.asp
    http://www.organicplants.co.uk/

Dig over a bit of ground, fork out the worst of the weeds and big stones, fork in handfuls of fish, blood and bone fertiliser and get them in!
    There are some terrific gardening/veg growing forums online with lots of helpful experts ready to give tons of advice. The Grapevine is one of my favourites. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/index.php
    Good luck and let us know how you get on!
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

2,728Users online

Martin's Twitter