Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • anguk
    • 6th May 10, 10:52 AM
    • 6th May 10, 10:52 AM
    I voted in the last election without a polling card. I went along to the polling station and realised I'd forgot the card, I was actually surprised that I just had to give my name and address (I had no ID on me).
    • Mankysteve
    • By Mankysteve 6th May 10, 12:02 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mankysteve
    • 6th May 10, 12:02 PM
    • 6th May 10, 12:02 PM
    I'm register to vote at my parent address, can i vote at uni address in Wales? I also don't have my card, but they do?
    • lilian1977
    • By lilian1977 6th May 10, 12:09 PM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 18,375 Thanks
    lilian1977
    • 6th May 10, 12:09 PM
    • 6th May 10, 12:09 PM
    Steve - I may be wrong but I don't think I am - you can only vote in the constituency you're registered in.

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    • Mankysteve
    • By Mankysteve 6th May 10, 12:18 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mankysteve
    • 6th May 10, 12:18 PM
    • 6th May 10, 12:18 PM
    Ok thanks, They only sent the card to parents the week before the dead line 20th(was it) and I was away on feild trip with uni. so that gave me a hole two days to sort it out, My fault really should have sorted it early.
    • Bufger
    • By Bufger 6th May 10, 12:21 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    Bufger
    • 6th May 10, 12:21 PM
    • 6th May 10, 12:21 PM
    Ok thanks, They only sent the card to parents the week before the dead line 20th(was it) and I was away on feild trip with uni. so that gave me a hole two days to sort it out, My fault really should have sorted it early.
    Originally posted by Mankysteve
    My friend is in the same position as you. I would feel really bad for him but he's going to vote for a party i hate so its not so bad. haha

Its an unfortunate situation. I would have a check on the government website to check before you completely write the whole thing off.
    MFW - <90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
    • MERFE
    • By MERFE 6th May 10, 12:36 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 5,933 Thanks
    MERFE
    • 6th May 10, 12:36 PM
    • 6th May 10, 12:36 PM
    This is good to know for the future, we have recently moved so I thought we wouldn't be able to vote as we havent changed our address at the electoral role yet, but then our old landlady brought our cards round that were delivered to the old address. Bless her. I wouldnt have been able to do it without it actually as I haven't a clue where the polling station is, its in the rough bit I don't go near normally.

bufger I'm also pleased my OH is away and won't be able to vote for someone stupid, he has some crazy ideas sometimes.
    Save 12k in 2018 no 45 4276.48/6000
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 6th May 10, 1:06 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    • 6th May 10, 1:06 PM
    • 6th May 10, 1:06 PM
    The polling station staff are not permitted to ask for ID or to take the slightest notice of it if you show it to them.

The sole requirement is that you positively identify yourself by verbal declaration as the person recorded on the register.

Having worked on a polling station it's easier in some ways if the voter doesn't have his card.

Typical scenario:

poll clerk 'Are you.....' (reads name and address off polling card)
    voter 'grunt'

Not exactly positive is it?
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 6th May 10, 1:12 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    • 6th May 10, 1:12 PM
    • 6th May 10, 1:12 PM
    Steve - I may be wrong but I don't think I am - you can only vote in the constituency you're registered in.
    Originally posted by lilian1977
    Correct.

Either in person
    or by post - too late
    or by proxy - too late unless it's a medical emergency, and probably impractical even if it is
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 6th May 10, 1:50 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    glider3560
    I'm register to vote at my parent address, can i vote at uni address in Wales? I also don't have my card, but they do?
    Originally posted by Mankysteve
    Too late now, but you are actually eligible to be registered at both your home and uni address. This allows you to vote in either location in the case of a general election.
    http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/faq/registering_to_vote.aspx

• WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 6th May 10, 2:04 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    What's even more bizarre is that you don't need a card to carry out a proxy vote - I had to vote three times this morning - once was mine and the other 2 were friends who found out after the postal vote deadline that they would be abroad on business. However the proxy cards for them hadn't turned up, so I asked electoral services who confirmed that just like my vote I simply needed to state I was me, and provided that tied up with their lists (the electoral roll and in the case of the proxy votes the proxy list) all was OK. I did make the effort to go down early this morning so it would be quiet and the staff wouldn't be trying to deal with my 3 votes at the same time as others were queuing.
    Adventure before Dementia!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 6th May 10, 2:04 PM
    • 15,987 Posts
    • 30,521 Thanks
    onlyroz
    The sole requirement is that you positively identify yourself by verbal declaration as the person recorded on the register.
    Originally posted by dzug1
    Isn't that a bit dodgy? Couldn't you turn up again pretending to be your neighbour and use their vote as well?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 6th May 10, 2:08 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    glider3560
    Isn't that a bit dodgy? Couldn't you turn up again pretending to be your neighbour and use their vote as well?
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Yes, you could although it would be illegal.

In Northern Ireland you are required to present photo ID when voting. If you don't have any photo ID, you have to apply in advance for an Electoral Identity Card, which contains your photo. I think this is a much more secure system which we should adopt across the whole country.

• Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 6th May 10, 2:09 PM
    • 5,306 Posts
    • 169,506 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    I have never taken my card to vote and never had a problem.

My husband always thinks you have to take it with you, but I tell him year after year that you don't need it.
    Winging it since 1972

SW is like the Hotel California - "You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave".
    • dancingfairy
    • By dancingfairy 6th May 10, 2:17 PM
    • 8,961 Posts
    • 7,344 Thanks
    dancingfairy
    Manky Steve - it depends on whether your uni has registered you or not. If you are in halls of residence they may have registered you. If private renting then you would have needed to have organised something in advance.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 6th May 10, 3:57 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    You could

But the polling station staff might remember you
    the neighbour might already have voted - possibly by post
    the person behind you in the queue might notice and dob you in

and as glider says it's illegal
  • emmylou83
    We havent long mover, so i havent recieved a card to my new address, and we r 190 miles away from the old place, so if i got to the polling place, can i still vote??? I`m sure we have registered since moving! but even if we havent, is there anything i can do?! any help appreciated!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 6th May 10, 7:30 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    glider3560
    We havent long mover, so i havent recieved a card to my new address, and we r 190 miles away from the old place, so if i got to the polling place, can i still vote??? I`m sure we have registered since moving! but even if we havent, is there anything i can do?! any help appreciated!
    Originally posted by emmylou83
    It is your responsibility to make sure that you are registered at the new address. If you aren't registered, you can't vote.

• dzug1
    • By dzug1 6th May 10, 7:31 PM
    • 13,359 Posts
    • 6,125 Thanks
    dzug1
    Originally posted by emmylou83
    If you have registered at your new address you willl be able to vote there. Just get to the right polling station before 10pm. Preferably a little bit before...

If you haven't you will have to make the 190 mile trip and vote there - bit late now......
  • fly dragon fly
    great i wish i'd seen this earlier i didn't vote because i thought i couldn't as i misplaced my card grrr

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,653Posts Today

6,773Users online

Martin's Twitter