Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lisawood78
    • By lisawood78 4th May 10, 7:28 PM
    • 3,572Posts
    • 6,043Thanks
    lisawood78
    Travel Food Help Please
    • 4th May 10, 7:28 PM
    Travel Food Help Please 4th May 10 at 7:28 PM
    Hi, love this board and know how many wonderful ideas you ladies/gents have.
    I'd like to pick your brains if I may?

We are going to an event in Scotland in a couple of weeks time. We travel up on the Friday, Event on Sat/Sun and drive home on the Monday morning.

There is 8 of us altogether and I need to feed us all during the day time on the Sat/Sun

We are stopping in a hotel, but will be away from there all day at the event and while you can eat on site the food is expensive and it's all chewy burgers and soggy chips. We will have breakfast/evening meal at the hotel but I need to feed 8 hungry mouths (all adults) during the day time.
    Ideally I need food I can prepare on the Fri morning and take with me, we have 2 car fridges and multiple cool bags etc.
    Drinks is not a problem, we always take multiple 2 litres of basics water frozen and a couple of bottles of squash.
    Usually it's sandwiches and crisps but tbh it is getting pretty darn boring and i'm really looking for inspiration! I'd rather not go to the shops while we are away if at all possible but I can see this is going to be tricky.
    I'm not adverse to ready made foods or getting my hands dirty, but stuff needs to last 3 days and be well less boring than plain old sarnies!
    Thanks for reading and any help you can offer.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 11-05-2010 at 7:08 PM.
    2 angels in heaven
Page 1
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 4th May 10, 8:06 PM
    • 4th May 10, 8:06 PM
    I'd probably make quiches and pasties of some sort if sandwiches are out of the question.
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 4th May 10, 8:16 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    • 4th May 10, 8:16 PM
    • 4th May 10, 8:16 PM
    Are ALL sandwiches completely out of the question? Maybe try making them a bit more interesting by using pitta, bagels, other different types of bread rather than just the usual sliced loaf.

Aside from that, certainly quiches, pasties, pies, Scotch eggs, pasta salads, Oriental-style noodle salads, dips with crudites and breadsticks... Maybe you'd be able to make a couple of large frittatas/Spanish omelettes to be cut into slices and eaten cold?
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 4th May 10, 8:22 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 4th May 10, 8:22 PM
    • 4th May 10, 8:22 PM
    Hi lisawood,

What about some sausages that you've frozen before setting off...leave them in one of the car fridges or packed in with the frozen bottles of water to defrost slowly, some bread rolls and and a disposable barbeque to cook them on to make hotdogs? Depending on the weather stew or soup and some wheaten bread which keeps well?

Actually as you have the fridges to keep the food cool, you could take almost anything. This thread has lots of ideas that may give you some inspiration:

Any ideas for picnic food??

Pink
    • lisawood78
    • By lisawood78 4th May 10, 8:57 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    lisawood78
    • 4th May 10, 8:57 PM
    • 4th May 10, 8:57 PM
    Thanks for the ideas so far folks, we usually end up with bread rolls or standard sliced loaves so variations on sandwiches would be ace.

BBQ would be good but not allowed where we are going unfortunately.

I think someone else can do the food next time!!
    2 angels in heaven
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 4th May 10, 9:04 PM
    • 4th May 10, 9:04 PM
    Perhaps it's not sandwiches per se that are boring but that the choice of fillings needs a change. I also agree with CupofChai's suggestion about using different types of bread. Mmmm smoked Bavarian ham, swiss cheese and mustard on rye bread. Yummy!
  • wogglemaker
    • 4th May 10, 9:44 PM
    • 4th May 10, 9:44 PM
    Are the little camping stoves allowed on site?

The flat style with a small sit inside the unit gas bottle does hubby & I brill for days out mostly cuppas and sausage sarnies, but if he manages to catches me a mackrel on the south coast, that will be cooked within 10 mins of coming off the line!!
    It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.
    Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    • lisawood78
    • By lisawood78 4th May 10, 9:46 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    lisawood78
    • 4th May 10, 9:46 PM
    • 4th May 10, 9:46 PM
    Hmm, it is a possibility, i'll look into that, thanks wogglemaker!
    2 angels in heaven
  • angelicmary85
    • 4th May 10, 10:06 PM
    • 4th May 10, 10:06 PM
    Are you going to Rockness?!!

ETA - Oops...that's not until June...getting a bit too excited!
    Last edited by angelicmary85; 04-05-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    Started PADdin' 13/04/09 paid 7486.66 - CC free 02/11/10
    Aim for 2011 - pay off car loan 260.00 saved
    Nerd No. 1173!
    Made by God...Improved by the The Devil
  • Tregemred
    As well as different bread, fillings, quiche, pasties, etc., mine always take HM flapjack, apples and bananas. MRE's from Army surplus are good but expensive.

The pasties they like can be either sweet or savoury (stewed fruit or jam/leftover curry/chilli/bolognese sauce, etc). I make 250g pastry, roll to approx. 5mm, cut out circles with 11cm cutter, put approx. a dspn of filling brush edges with egg, fold over and seal, brush top with egg, small slit to allow steam out, bake for approx 20mins. Good hot or cold. You could freeze them and use to keep all else cool.

Or use phyllo/filo pastry, fold sheets in half to make long, thin rectangle, put filling at top left, leaving 1cm space along left edge. Bring right hand corner over to cover filling, continue folding until you end up with a triangular shape IYSWIM.

HTH
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 6th May 10, 2:20 PM
    • 5,586 Posts
    • 41,351 Thanks
    joedenise
    I always make cornish pasties when we're going out at the weekend. They are really nice cold and are easy to eat.

Denise
    • julie777
    • By julie777 12th May 10, 12:42 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    julie777
    Nuts
    Speaking for myself, I could live on nuts and fruit! No need to chill, prepare or plan. Don't suppose everyone would agree though?
    • Maitane
    • By Maitane 12th May 10, 9:24 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 2,030 Thanks
    Maitane
    I quite like making P! Bagnat for picnics, you can play around with the fillings to suit.
    I know the French one is basically a salad nicoise inside a round hollowed out loaf or a hollowed out baguette but the one I used to make when I lived in Barcelona that seemed to be the one I got at the shops was:

Either a large round loaf (Like a grand rustique at Mr T's or something round that you can cut the top off then hollow out) or a hollow-out-able bread you like.

Tomatoes, a little garlic, olive oil and salt whizzed or mashed together so you can spread it all around the inside.

Chicken, ham, cheese and salad-y stuff you like on sandwiches, layered up.
    Sometimes I'd drizzle a little pesto mixed with olive oil over before putting the top back on, wrapping it in clingfilm and weighting it good.

I know it's a sandwich still - but it's an interesting sandwich! Pain Bagnat is also tasty if you like salad nicoise.

I also like making a pie or quiche and if I'm at a festival where any kind of cooker is allowed (even a trangia), I always take a chorizo sausage, a leek, stock cubes and a packet of risotto rice. I'm sure you can see where that is going.. It tends to be for the later days though, especially as we go to Download and it's five days camping. Pot Noodle gets a little boring after the first one.
    I also like taking dried pancetta and spagetti to make the old classic, spagetti and bacon. *drool* but make sure you take fruit or something that tastes fresh!
    "We always find something, hey Didi, to give us the impression we exist?" Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot.
    DFW Club number 1212 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 12th May 10, 11:16 AM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    We prefer to make our own variations so I take 'buttered' bread & rolls but keep the fillings in little tubs; people then can make the final decision of whatever they fancy. For example I'm partial to a little sliced onion in with my tuna or corned beef sometimes, while other days I go for just lettuce & cheese. I'm afraid I am one of those people who will bring home the sachets of condiments when they have been brought with my meal & already on the plate but I also have some little spice jars that are perfect for dollops of things.
    Take flasks to use the kettle in your hotel room or do you have travel ones for the ciggie lighter in the car, to have hot water for a cup of soup or instant pot snack if you'd like a warming lunch? Even with the fridge, I'd be very wary of taking something like a rice salad or cooked chicken but I think veggie pasta & couscous is not so much of a danger. Perhaps a couple of tins of tuna
    so you could open them & stir thru, & I know folk use tinned chicken in white wine sauce for vol au vents but have no idea if you cook it first
    May I suggest you have a look at the first page of the monthly Grocery Challenge as there are a multitude of recipes & links for things like biscuits, cereal bars & of course the notorious Twinks & you might find some inspiration from there.
    I am so envious of your trip, so just make sure you have enough fun for the both of us OK

Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Thriftybynature
    How about Anti-Pasta style for the second day? I was in Aldi/Lidl recently and got some jars of roasted peppers and artichoke hearts. There are lots of other jars and tins of stuff and even ambient packaging that would mean that you wouldn't need refrigeration. Tins of mixed bean salad, tuna salad, vac-pac salamis & meats (in the cooler), olives etc. Tinned potatoes mixed with sachets of mayo to make a pot salad. Make sure you have other (legally obtained!) sachets of stuff like mustards & other sauces. You can get some tortilla wraps in ambient packaging so they won't need refrigeration. It's more expensive than just sarnies but much nicer and cheaper than eating out. Make sure you add a nice tablecloth and pretend you are Italian! And don't forget the Prosecco if you are in Aldi/Lidl...

This is the basis for my 'emergency picnic' that I keep in the back of the car. We live in the Yorkshire Dales so if it's nice in the summer we can have a picnic tea after work at the drop of a hat.
  • Thriftybynature
    Forgot about jars of Feta Cheese in olive oil (bought or even home made if you are organised) and jars of Rollmops and Gherkins. And those big salamis that you have to slice yourself.

I am sooooooooooooo hungry now!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th May 10, 12:37 PM
    • 8,805 Posts
    • 10,109 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    If you have some large thermoses of hot water you can produce noodles and other dehydrated foods (instant mash, dried peas, some cold meat from the coolbox and you have a hot meal). Or use hot water from the kettle in the hotel room and keep the food hot and cooking slowly in a haybox

If you are driving to the event you might be able to cook or reheat food on the engine block.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th May 10, 12:39 PM
    • 8,805 Posts
    • 10,109 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I know folk use tinned chicken in white wine sauce for vol au vents but have no idea if you cook it first
    Originally posted by BigMummaF
    No, just heat through. You can also get tinned mince in gravy, tinned curries, beef stew, etc. Would make toppings for rice cooked in thermos or baked pots on the engine block.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th May 10, 1:05 PM
    • 12,807 Posts
    • 8,666 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Cheats Coronation Chicken?

We use it for all picnics. Can stuff it into pitas too if you like them.

Roast a chicken, let it go cold and then strip it.

Put a small tub of plain yoghurt with 2-3 large tablespoons of mayo in a bowl. Beat well. Add curry powder/chilli powder to taste.

Add a tin or peaches/mangos or whatever fruit you like.

Plonk in the chicken. Stir well and chill. Bring to room temperture before serving, sprinkled with some flaked almonds.

You can either use it as a sandwich/baguette filling or eat on its own/with salad. We use those cheap camping Sporks (a knife, fork and spoon in one - always handy in the glovebox).
    • lisawood78
    • By lisawood78 12th May 10, 2:47 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    lisawood78
    Thanks for everyones great ideas.
    Am planning to use many of them, and got a Tesco order coming tomorrow with all the bits I need.

Will definitely be needing some warm food as we're off to Bonny Scotland and it's gone rather chilly this week!

Thanks again everyone.
    2 angels in heaven
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin