Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cheekymonkeb0y
    • By cheekymonkeb0y 29th Apr 10, 3:56 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 2Thanks
    cheekymonkeb0y
    Mortgage without permanent job?
    • 29th Apr 10, 3:56 PM
    Mortgage without permanent job? 29th Apr 10 at 3:56 PM
    Ok this question might sound a bit stupid, but wondered if I could get other's views.

I started a new job in March so am still in my probation period, will it cause me a problem when I try to get a mortgage with my wife (who herself is in a permanent position)?

Cheers in advance.
Page 1
    • suisidevw
    • By suisidevw 29th Apr 10, 3:58 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    suisidevw
    • 29th Apr 10, 3:58 PM
    • 29th Apr 10, 3:58 PM
    What sort of figures are you talking about?

What job were you in before/transferred etc?
    • suisidevw
    • By suisidevw 29th Apr 10, 3:59 PM
    • 2,351 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    suisidevw
    • 29th Apr 10, 3:59 PM
    • 29th Apr 10, 3:59 PM
    PS, we got a mortgage when my wife was working as a temp on a pretty good wage and had been for 18 months or so and was being ring-fenced for another higher job........
    • Money Doctor
    • By Money Doctor 29th Apr 10, 8:09 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Money Doctor
    • 29th Apr 10, 8:09 PM
    • 29th Apr 10, 8:09 PM
    First Direct would not take my partners income into account at all after she changed jobs and had only been in the new job for one month,
  • RedSoleShoes
    • 29th Apr 10, 9:24 PM
    • 29th Apr 10, 9:24 PM
    I started a new job in March so am still in my probation period, will it cause me a problem when I try to get a mortgage with my wife (who herself is in a permanent position)?
    Originally posted by cheekymonkeb0y
    Probably, yes. When is your probation up? If it is 3 months, then should be fine as you won't have long to go but if it is 6 then you probably will have problems, unless you have a substantial deposit.
  • wurlycurly
    • 30th Apr 10, 8:54 AM
    • 30th Apr 10, 8:54 AM
    I was given a mortgage in my probation period.

My mortgage is with Abbey. I found as I've been in constant employment since I left Uni and my job is a permenant job a lot of the lenders were happy to accept my application. If you ask they'll happily tell you if it's a problem, it meant I couldn't get the best deal I could find as it was with First Direct and won't accept people in probation, but my current deal isn't a lot more.
  • Fairdo
    • 30th Apr 10, 9:06 AM
    • 30th Apr 10, 9:06 AM
    The reply is same as usual really. It depends on other factors. If you are on a proby period, previous poster is right that you may be able to get conditional offer on confirmation that you have passed the proby period when you need to draw down the new mortgage. Puts you in a better light if the job move was from a similar field, you didn't have a break between jobs and it was for improved or similar terms.

Wife is in a permanent position so that helps. Bigger deposit also adds weight.

A&L used to be good for flexibility and C&G, but I would advise you to get a reputable Broker to do the research for you. (With all the usual Caveats!)
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • wurlycurly
    • 30th Apr 10, 9:34 AM
    • 30th Apr 10, 9:34 AM
    I've moved into the property and I'm still on probation, my lender know's this. It was never a condition of the offer that I would be out of it by the time I took up the mortgage....
  • herbiesjp
    • 30th Apr 10, 10:17 AM
    • 30th Apr 10, 10:17 AM
    Some lenders will be ok with you in your probation, others will not and may delay the draw down until you have completed that period, or unless you can get a letter from your employer stating that you will be retained full time.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Fairdo
    I've moved into the property and I'm still on probation, my lender know's this. It was never a condition of the offer that I would be out of it by the time I took up the mortgage....
    Originally posted by wurlycurly
    Bloomin Eck! I forgot how specific the wording had to be sometimes! Well done Wurlycurly and congratulations on being in. I know it is acceptable in some circumstances to still be in a probationary period.

I am trying to give general hints on what will help to allow more choice, so in essence, the more weight a household has towards their own individual case, the better for them and the more likely they are to have more Lenders and therefore more choice!

Is that okay????
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,692Users online

Martin's Twitter