Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Triker
    • By Triker 12th Aug 06, 9:40 PM
    • 7,071Posts
    • 82,151Thanks
    Triker
    I'm fat, my daughter has nits and I've ran out of money.
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:40 PM
    I'm fat, my daughter has nits and I've ran out of money. 12th Aug 06 at 9:40 PM
    Hello, think I'm having my lightbulb moment. Been in tears most of today, have gone from being fairly pleased with myself midweek having been really careful with my money to sobbing my eyes out today when I went to the cash machine and am am overdrawn on my £3000.00 overdraft and won't get paid until the end of the month.

Really felt that I'd started to get a grip on my finances. Had a huge sort out last weekend of stuff for ebay, cleared loads of junk from my compulsive shopping. This used to happen regularly set off by thoughts such as, oh the house needs cleaning, I know instead of cleaning it I'll go out and buy something that will magically transform my messy home into.......a more cluttered, messy home.

As a generally upbeat and positive person I've compiled a list of positives and negatives.

Negatives

Being overdrawn on overdraft. No savings. My daughter has nits.......well if I cast my mind back it's hard to think of a time when she hasn't had nits. Seemed to stem from nursery and I don't think there has been many times that I have managed to get her completely clear without the next hairwash finding more of the b@ggers. Before you all say 'ugh', I promise you I have tried everything, every lotion, potion, oil, chemical and nit zapper going. Short of shaving her head or napalming her hair I have to carry on regardless. Always clears in the hols but when back at school or when she plays with some other kids it starts again.

I'm fat, yes I truly am. I am point blank refusing to buy any more clothes (actually have no choice as have no money) but if I had the option then I wouldn't. Was a happy size 12/14 many centuries ago, something happened (think it was connected to excess food consumption in some way !!) and erm well I'm fat and fed up.

Of the mountain of clothes that I left, I think only 3 items fit.I have about £8000 credit card debt and a CCJ.Can appeal my CCJ but haven't quite got round to it probably because I'm disorganised and lazy. (Reminder to self please give (me) a strong kick up the b-m)Can't get smilies or any gaps in my postings to work so this is going to look like one great big paragraph.

Positives.

lovely hubby who has given me £300 to try to clear the overdrawnness on my overdraft. Says will support me throughout the rest of the month, financially. Two lovely children along with lovely hubby, nuff said, love them all to bits.A house to sell as soon as I can get down to it (I live 250 miles away)have booked leave from work and will be going to sort out getting it on the market in next 2 weeks.Our cat, who loves me whether I'm fat and skint or not.Brackets, I love them (do you?) they are all I've got as I have no smilies. MSE, my new addiction, great 'ere innit? Right I'm off, feel a lot better for getting that lot off my (ample) chest, sending you all a wry smile and a 'right I'm going to get on with it' look. Cheerio

Last edited by MSE Martin; 22-08-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Page 1
  • hankc35
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:46 PM
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:46 PM
    Ewwww buy a coconut and rub the milk stuff on the childs head. How awful for you, they say that there is always somebody worse off, but with you i'm not sure.

HanK
    • elantan
    • By elantan 12th Aug 06, 9:47 PM
    • 19,729 Posts
    • 53,100 Thanks
    elantan
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:47 PM
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:47 PM
    stop right there ..take a huge deep breath ...breathe in breathe out ....and again ...you will get there ..one step at a time and you will find that when you get control of one thing the others will soon follow... there is so much help here and so many people willing to help so you have came to the right place firstly as everyone on here will say post an soa look at the sticky by ss he hit's the nail on the head ..once you have done that we will see what we can work on next ...but remember deep deep breath and chill help is on it's way
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
  • Guinea
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:48 PM
    BIIIIIIIIGGGGGGG HUG goes out to you!

Sorry to hear about all of this going on with you.

Regards to nits.....have you tried putting conditioner on your daughters hair and leaving it on, then taking a nit comb and going through all strands of her hair. This does take a while but you have to go through it in detail to make sure that any eggs/nits are out of her hair. Then when you're sure that they have all gone you can wash the hair through. This seems to be the best way!

Sorry can't be any help with anything else!
    Baby Bump born 4th March 2010!

• Triker
    • By Triker 12th Aug 06, 9:48 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 82,151 Thanks
    Triker
    Hi Hank, cheers for that does this mean I'm famous? You've got me giggling.
  • hankc35
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:53 PM
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:53 PM
    Hi Hank, cheers for that does this mean I'm famous? You've got me giggling.
    by Triker

lol, probably, i got a coconut to rub on my kids head but I couldnt open it so I threw it against the wall of my house to break it, it bounced and cracked my car windscreen lessons learnt.
  • michellenealemum
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:54 PM
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:54 PM
    keep your chin up
    do you know the song {i get knocked down but i get up again} well it always helps me.Things can surely get no worse,if you have started to sort your finances then things will get better.
    I too have a s***t couple of months,but things looking better just got a job after a nearly 6 year break start in sept when dd goes to school fulltime,that is also very sad.
    well keep your chin up big hugs
    • Triker
    • By Triker 12th Aug 06, 9:55 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 82,151 Thanks
    Triker
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:55 PM
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:55 PM
    Hi elantan and guinea, cheers for your replies.Elantan, I am breathing, I really am, in and out and again. LOLCheers for replying, all helps.Guinea I kid you not I have tried everything for the nittage crisis. I have also cried tears of frustration over this but just nitcomb daily and use a oil with neem in it which appears to put the little b@ggers off slightly.
    • lynsayjane
    • By lynsayjane 12th Aug 06, 9:58 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 5,762 Thanks
    lynsayjane
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:58 PM
    • 12th Aug 06, 9:58 PM
    oh darling. i really don't know where to start. big hugs for everything. afraid i can't help with the nits thing, good news- they nly go to clean hair. so maybe don't wash her for a few weeks :confused:

the money situation. get yoru soa on here (if you haven't already done so) and let the vultures(term of affection!) pick over it and see if we can't help you somewhat. dont let it get you down, it's not always uphill, there will be good times and bad times, but you'll get there. and we are always here to hold your hand at the bad bits.

the fat situation i can relate to most. until recently i was fat, and by some folks standards i still am. i tried dieting but it never helped. i suffer from an underactive thyroid which doesnt affect meon a daily basis, but lowers my metabolism making it a hundred times harder to lose weight. i joined a gym again in jan and lost a stone since (lost two stone the first time i joined two years ago). i still have about a stone to lose till i reach my perfect weight, tho the doc said a couple of weeks ago my current weight is of no risk to my health tho i havent lost in the past couple of months, i've hit a rut. anyway the point is i know how you feel, but with a little effort you can shift that belly! and just remember, it sound slike you have a lovely hubby who obvioulsy adores you just the way you are!
  • Guinea
    Argh! Right....who does she get them from? Shave THAT childs' hair! I find that as a teacher I am at risk of getting the dreaded nits but so far I (touch wood) have not had them. I am told that this is because I always plaster my hair in conditioner. No, I do not go into school with conditioner on my hair but I wash my hair in it ever night. Just the cheap Tesco's stuff but it's worked for me. Actually, knowing my luck, when I go back to school in September I will probably get them the first day!!
    Baby Bump born 4th March 2010!

• bikerqueen
    get out of the house tomorrow. strap up the children, get walking, start slimming back down into those clothes. as something gets too big for you, sell it, then you wont be able to afford to put weight on.

you obviously have a good sense of humour and a good relationship. we can work on the rest
  • sallypurple
    I have just found a fab nit comb - it is called a nitty gritty and it gets rid of asolutely everything. If you go to their website they have a letter to print so you can get your Doctor to give you a free one on prescription. I only found this out after I had paid 9.99 for mine
  • Baggiebird1nil
    Try pure lavender oil on your daughters hair. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles but I've had to giggle at you! Have you complained to the school because I'm sure your daughter isn't the only one with them. Somebody must be re-infecting. Reminds me of my Mum on a sunday night with Johnson's baby shampoo (no conditioner in those days!) and a bloody steel nit comb, my head used to ring, and Nitty Nora the school nurse. Go try get a good night's sleep it will all be better inthe morning!

LOL

Kate
    We finally did it! Debt free 28/6/10
  • hankc35

the fat situation i can relate to most. until recently i was fat, and by some folks standards i still am. i tried dieting but it never helped. i suffer from an underactive thyroid which doesnt affect meon a daily basis, but lowers my metabolism making it a hundred times harder to lose weight.
    by lynsayjane

EWwwww I'm not fat, its my glands!!!
    • Triker
    • By Triker 12th Aug 06, 10:12 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 82,151 Thanks
    Triker
    lol, probably, i got a coconut to rub on my kids head but I couldnt open it so I threw it against the wall of my house to break it, it bounced and cracked my car windscreen lessons learnt.
    by hankc35
    I think you're funny, lol
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 12th Aug 06, 10:15 PM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 7,219 Thanks
    carolbee
    sorry for all your problems. You have an asset (yes asset, as in a gift) for writing though!
    Carolbee
    • elantan
    • By elantan 12th Aug 06, 10:18 PM
    • 19,729 Posts
    • 53,100 Thanks
    elantan
    carolbee love your sig so true
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • wendym
    • By wendym 12th Aug 06, 10:18 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 3,705 Thanks
    wendym
    When my daughter started teaching, her Head said 'I have one piece of advice to give you'. She expected something Wise, but it was 'have you ever wonder why primary school teachers have such dated hair? It's because they use enough hairspray to form a kind of helmet, and avoid nits.'

She didn't spray her hair, and got nits. Her regime was tea tree shampoo, then tea tree conditioner,combed through religiously.

Would it be worth trying some hairspray on your daughter?

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time....you sound like a great Mum, by the way.
    • Triker
    • By Triker 12th Aug 06, 10:21 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 82,151 Thanks
    Triker
    Erm, hello all, well here's another negative, I can't seem to thank anyone as I keep getting thrown to the top of the page, not literally but you get what I mean,when I press the 'Thanks' button, I think my computer has it in for me today. For all of you who posted replies Big Thanks to you all.
  • Brummie73
    Nits!!
    Best advice out there for nits is at [URL="http://www.nits.net/bugbusting"]. (Hope that works,haven't tried links before).

The site is from Community Hygiene Concern, they've done loads of research on the little b******s & know their stuff. You can buy a Bugbusting pack with combs etc for 5.95 & P&P or you can ask for it on prescription. I first heard of them from the health visitor as I was getting so stressed using all the chemmy stuff that costs a tenner a go, & my daughter still getting them. The combs are designed really well & make it much easier & the info pack dispels all the myths about having to wash bedding to get rid of em & stuff like that. Apparently the money made goes back into research which has gotta be good, but even if not the pack is good value for money compared to what you can spend on lotions & potions & blitzing wid essential oils.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter