Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kazire
    • By kazire 24th Apr 10, 9:59 PM
    • 447Posts
    • 2,268Thanks
    kazire
    do you have to pay for items picked up at the dump/tip/waste centre
    • 24th Apr 10, 9:59 PM
    do you have to pay for items picked up at the dump/tip/waste centre 24th Apr 10 at 9:59 PM
    Hi as the title says do you havto pay for items that are avaiable at the dump? thanks
Page 1
    • ragz
    • By ragz 24th Apr 10, 11:38 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 24th Apr 10, 11:38 PM
    • 24th Apr 10, 11:38 PM
    Yes, it's the perk for the poor guys/gals that sort through the rubbish lol

Most don't charge much though, I paid 2 today for a lovely mug tree and a huge blind!

Have got a lot of my furniture, DH's tools, kids bikes, pictures etc from dumps too (Or household recycling centres to give them their proper name!)
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • lindos90
    • By lindos90 24th Apr 10, 11:50 PM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 20,097 Thanks
    lindos90
    • 24th Apr 10, 11:50 PM
    • 24th Apr 10, 11:50 PM
    Its not allowed at our tip, for 'health and safety' reasons

We dont go often, as we recycle/freecycle/charity whatever we can.

I find visits totally depressing, I cant believe what people chuck away!
    • hermum
    • By hermum 25th Apr 10, 8:53 AM
    • 7,012 Posts
    • 6,887 Thanks
    hermum
    • 25th Apr 10, 8:53 AM
    • 25th Apr 10, 8:53 AM
    At ours, there's a company who I assume pay for the stuff & they collect it & then sell it on from a warehouse. The public aren't allowed to buy direct from the tip now.
    Great for a days rummage.
    No more expensive then it was when sold direct. Of course the electrical goods all have to be tested, & they deliver. I paid a couple of quid for a pressure washer.
    Ask at yours there could be a similar scheme in your area.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 25th Apr 10, 9:03 AM
    • 6,456 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    roddydogs
    • 25th Apr 10, 9:03 AM
    • 25th Apr 10, 9:03 AM
    Whats your council? your not allowed to take anything from dumps, and their not allowed to charge or make money on anything.or take anything themselves.
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 25th Apr 10, 9:13 AM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    • 25th Apr 10, 9:13 AM
    • 25th Apr 10, 9:13 AM
    Our Council retrieve things that have been dumped and sell them to the public for a nominal fee from large containers on site.
    They even retrieve scrap wood which they turn into kindling and distribute to low income families and have volunteers who make bird boxes and furniture out of better pieces of wood.
    So far this year we have had a dvd player, an antique book case, shelving unit and art deco plant stand as well as several rolls of loft insulation.
  • meliaalison
    • 25th Apr 10, 10:39 AM
    • 25th Apr 10, 10:39 AM
    our council your not allowed either and they dont appear to have anyone taking the stuff including themselves. I remember once I saw something in the back of someones car and asked the man whoose car it was if I could have it for a nominal fee rather than him throwing it only to be told off by a very large council person who told me that I was not allowed to do that the man had to put it in the tip and that if I tried to do that again I would be banned! I cant remember what it was now but it put me off!
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 25th Apr 10, 11:09 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    • 25th Apr 10, 11:09 AM
    • 25th Apr 10, 11:09 AM
    Not allowed where we live.
    Also just left local freecycle as so fed up of the 'wanted' ads!
    • kerleytops
    • By kerleytops 25th Apr 10, 1:21 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    kerleytops
    • 25th Apr 10, 1:21 PM
    • 25th Apr 10, 1:21 PM
    [QUOTE=OrkneyStar;32179721]Not allowed where we live.
    Also just left local freecycle as so fed up of the 'wanted' ads![/QUOTE]

me too!
  • anguk
    We used to be able to buy things at our local tip but now there is a private firm who run them, there's about 4 blokes who go through the skips removing things I assume to sell on elsewhere?

Freegle bugs me now, for every offered post there must be at least 10 wanted and normally for things like "leather suite must be in excellent condition" or "42in plasma, widescreen, flatscreen all the bells & whistle tv"!
    • angeltreats
    • By angeltreats 25th Apr 10, 2:20 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 6,687 Thanks
    angeltreats
    I feel a bit guilty about Freecycle at the moment, I gave away lots of stuff when we lived in London including a bike and a nice food mixer, but since we moved here I've received stuff from two ads and I've just placed a wanted post begging for some bacopa cuttings, but I haven't given anything away yet in return. I really need to have a bit of a clearout. Our Freecycle doesn't really seem to have huge numbers of wanted posts though and they are usually for reasonable requests (although today someone did ask for a car!).

No idea if you're allowed into the local tip to have a rummage but next time I'm over that way I'm going to see if they'll let me.
    • jexygirl
    • By jexygirl 25th Apr 10, 3:21 PM
    • 750 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    jexygirl
    our local tip is council run, and I got a wheel barrow that apparently needed a new tyre - it actually just needed blowing up! I asked the chap if I could buy it, and he said no, but you can donate to the tea fund, which I duly did

As for freecycle, mine is run it seems by total control freaks, unless you follow their EXACTING guidelines for posting items, they are not posted. I offered a swimming pool, however, because I didnt put the word OFFERED in caps at the beginning of the subject, i received a curt email, a copy of their "rules on posting" and it was never posted!! It also took me about 2 weeks to get through their "vetting" before I could even join! So I think its a great thing, but I wont be offering anything again!
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig!
    • welshsue
    • By welshsue 25th Apr 10, 4:27 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    welshsue
    Our local recycling centre has an area for items that are too good to be dumped. They sell them on for a pittance and all the money goes to local schools. There are always things like tables, chairs, bathroom suites, exercise bikes etc etc
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 25th Apr 10, 5:21 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 36,046 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Yes here too. When my oldest bike got stolen we got one from the tip and it was in brand new condition for 5. All the money collected is donated to charity. A couple of years back we got a wide screen TV which only needed the fuse inside the TV replacing. I love it when OH goes to drop something off cause I know he'll bring something back!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    2 Savers club 2019 20p Savers Club 2019
    BLTW Feb
    2/19
    Pay all your debts by Christmas 2019 #20 paid 100
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 25th Apr 10, 9:26 PM
    • 10,771 Posts
    • 38,966 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Its not allowed at our tip, for 'health and safety' reasons ..... I cant believe what people chuck away!
    Originally posted by lindos90
    Same here, it's as if charity furniture collections /Freecycle/ etc didn't exist. Still, won't have to make our monthly tip-trip soon, the local council have finally decided to give us a door-to-door plastic collection

I'll just have to take big cardboard, foil & tetra packs to the tip - probably 3 monthly now
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,321Posts Today

8,076Users online

Martin's Twitter