Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies
    • 24th Apr 10, 8:57 PM
    Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies 24th Apr 10 at 8:57 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Penlope Penguin for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from tinting your hair with cabbage to a heap of uses for rhubarb leaves.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven!!!8217;t already,
    join the forum.

Back to the original post...

The original Sneaky Ways thread is now very long so time for another

My Sneaky Way - always ask yourself if you really need a non-essential item, and even if you do, wait a week to see if you still need it This has saved DH and I loads

What are your ways of sneakily saving pennies that your family doesn't notice? I challenge you all to come up with a brand new Sneaky Way that isn;t on the original thread

Penny. x

If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply! Thanks to Penelope Penguin for posting the tip originally.
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-11-2017 at 2:46 PM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 121
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 26th Jan 18, 6:28 AM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,360 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Wilko sell some for £1.75 for 500g
    Originally posted by SuperMoose
    Thanks, well worth knowing: http://www.wilko.com/traditional-cleaning-/wilko-original-bicarbonate-of-soda-500g/invt/0264235

Now where did I put my white vinegar?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 26th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    Thanks, well worth knowing: http://www.wilko.com/traditional-cleaning-/wilko-original-bicarbonate-of-soda-500g/invt/0264235

Now where did I put my white vinegar?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    If you can't find it Wilko do that too
    white vinegar

It's part of their tradtional cleaning range.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 26th Jan 18, 1:00 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 5,199 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    I think Asda is one of the cheapest cleaning things places. They still do basics washing up liquid and dish tabs for 1.60. Wilco is good too. DD was asking where the cheapest place for bicarb for cleaning is, anyone spotted any?
    Originally posted by Katieowl

Yes, Wing Yip https://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/ the Chinese wholesalers/supermarket. They do Bicarb in the convenient 2kg bag. Last time, I bought a box worth (5 or 6 bags). It was less than £10, but that was several years ago. They're also a great, cheap source for vinegar (sold in gallon/4.5L bottles) and rubber gloves. I bought Marigolds there recently for 1/3 the price of Sainsbugs. And, of course, they sell food in catering quantities: spices (by the 500g bag), dried pulses (in 2kg bags), rice (10kg bags) and concentrated Chinese sauces (if you love a Chinese curry, chances are it was made from a tub of concentrate sold by Wing Yip).

They have branches in London, Birmingham and Manchester. They also sell on-line.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 27th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    when cooking potato waffles for one, I pop them in the toaster from frozen, just turn it up to its highest setting and put them through two cycles of toast, this is usually enough to cook them.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 27th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Gave myself a pedicure whilst watching a film this afternoon. Saved £20+.
    Also did my finger nails (another £10 saved). I find that as long as you put a base coat and top coat on it will last you at least a week.
    I don!!!8217;t like Shellac it ruins your nails if not taken off properly.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 +
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £2280/£6,000
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 27th Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Friend gave me a L!!!8217;occitaine Gift set for Xmas. Inside was a bottle of hair shampoo. Popped into to L!!!8217;occitaine and got two free samples of conditioner to try with it. It was lovely, but it don!!!8217;t plan in spending lots of money on shampoo and conditioner. Next week, I will be going out with my friend and the later with my mum, to different towns, if they have a L!!!8217;occitaine theee I will go in and try and get some more free samples. I find travelling around the country can have its benefits!
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 27th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    If you can't find it Wilko do that too
    white vinegar

It's part of their tradtional cleaning range.
    Do you find that you save money? Or is it a chemical / environment choice?
    What proportions do you use?
    I had a go with cleaning the kitchen sink with some out of date bicarbonate of soda and the end of the bottle white vinegar.
    Washing powder and lemon juice also has a chemical reaction just like bicarbonate and vinegar. Has anyone tried this?
    • janb5
    • By janb5 27th Jan 18, 11:55 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 6,559 Thanks
    janb5
    I was given a great cleaning combination from another MSE`er.

General purpose cleaner

1 part washing up liquid
    2 parts lemon juice ( 32p @ Lidl)
    4 parts white vinegar
    5 parts water

( 50 mls, 100 mls, 200 mls and 250 mls respectively to make 600 mls for

Stir together in a jug and decant into spray bottle. Use for kitchen surfaces, paintwork, bathrooms etc.

I find it brilliant on my hob and also windows and my friends like it too.

I havent bought cleaner in a long time.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Jan 18, 1:50 AM
    • 15,890 Posts
    • 134,698 Thanks
    JackieO
    Friend gave me a L’occitaine Gift set for Xmas. Inside was a bottle of hair shampoo. Popped into to L’occitaine and got two free samples of conditioner to try with it. It was lovely, but it don’t plan in spending lots of money on shampoo and conditioner. Next week, I will be going out with my friend and the later with my mum, to different towns, if they have a L’occitaine theee I will go in and try and get some more free samples. I find travelling around the country can have its benefits!
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    You have a fantastic friend there I treat myself to a bottle of their shampoo now and again. I love the verbena one,I bought myself a bottle of the hair conditioner with some of my Christmas money and its £17.00 a pop but it is beautiful conditioner, and I use it about once a fortnight to eke it out. In between I use Lidl's Cien conditioner.

years ago when my children were small you used to be able to buy household quality cotton wool in the chemist for around half a crown a roll It was brilliant for babies butts, or small cleaning jobs, no baby wipes back then
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • sootypea
    • By sootypea 28th Jan 18, 12:50 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 535 Thanks
    sootypea
    I got these and have put them away for next years Xmas hampers and birthdays.

https://www.onlinepoundstore.co.uk/product-category/loccitane/
    an GC. £180.00/£300
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 28th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    You have a fantastic friend there I treat myself to a bottle of their shampoo now and again. I love the verbena one,I bought myself a bottle of the hair conditioner with some of my Christmas money and its £17.00 a pop but it is beautiful conditioner, and I use it about once a fortnight to eke it out. In between I use Lidl's Cien conditioner.

years ago when my children were small you used to be able to buy household quality cotton wool in the chemist for around half a crown a roll It was brilliant for babies butts, or small cleaning jobs, no baby wipes back then
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Yes, my friend is lovely. She uses their shampoo and conditioner all the time.
    I like the almond shower gel and body lotion as well as the verbena hand wash. I bought some hand wash when in Canada as it was much cheaper. We have that upstairs and Lidl’s downstairs.
    I’m taking hubby to Paris for his 60th and will be interested to compare the price.
    • evuka
    • By evuka 28th Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    evuka
    Wilko sell some for £1.75 for 500g
    Just been to Wilko yesterday to buy white vinegar (£1 for 1 litre in a spray bottle) and saw the bicarb as well. Popped into Home Bargains after it and they have 500 g bicarb for 99p only!

I'm in a cleaning group on fb and they sing wonders of Zoflora disinfectant, found it in Wilko for £1 (also in HB for 99p so not much of a difference there).

On the coffee topic - I usually drink instant and buy the Nescafe Gold blend in HB or Poundland. They sell the 200g jar for £5 while it costs £7 in Sainsbug. (I already have two empty and will use these as containers in my kitchen cabinets.)

I love the idea of instant during the week and proper brewed at the weekends so I'm gonna try that from now on. I have a french press and I do foam my milk with it (based on a "life hack" video - just heat up your milk/soya/almond milk, etc and the french press makes it soooo foamy )

If you buy ground coffee and turns out you don't like the taste, you can improve it with a pinch of cinnamon. Just put it in the machine with the coffee and it will brew you tasty
    SwagBucks
    Make £10 a day challenge need to join again
    Sell 100 items 11/100
    GC: Jan 175.07/100
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018 £823.65/£8,965.88
    NSD: Jan 5/15 Feb 7/15
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 29th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 47,173 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I was given a Nespresso coffee machine to review by Amazon, and it was a treat twice a week machine, with capsules from CRU Kafe, (Fairtrade), until Aldi relaunched their range of capsules. Now, it's my all-day-treat. I get the decaff capsules mail-order, I alternate between Aldi and CRU Kafe for these.

Both brands are completely fine to use, and equivalent in quality to Nescafe's own, very expensive, capsules.

The Nespresso compatible brand to avoid is Taylor's, unfortunately - I love their tea.
    Three out of ten in every box jammed, and one nearly broke my machine. Only my incredibly strong DS forcing the jammed machine back open rescued it.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 29th Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,360 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm in a cleaning group on fb and they sing wonders of Zoflora disinfectant, found it in Wilko for £1 (also in HB for 99p so not much of a difference there)
    Originally posted by evuka
    I did wonder about Zoflora so bought a load in the scents I could tolerate from Poundland (French Lavender? Hyacinth? Uurgh! ) and used it for a while. Shortly afterwards I bought into Method instead, smells lovely and although expensive can often be found on offer in supermarkets. Wild rhubarb, anyone? Grapefruit, perhaps? These days bathroom smells divinely of eucalyptus and mint and my wooden floors of almond

Mumsnet has a lot to answer for

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • evuka
    • By evuka 1st Feb 18, 5:22 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    evuka
    I did wonder about Zoflora so bought a load in the scents I could tolerate from Poundland (French Lavender? Hyacinth? Uurgh! ) and used it for a while. Shortly afterwards I bought into Method instead, smells lovely and although expensive can often be found on offer in supermarkets. Wild rhubarb, anyone? Grapefruit, perhaps? These days bathroom smells divinely of eucalyptus and mint and my wooden floors of almond

Mumsnet has a lot to answer for
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I will defo check it out after I used up the Zoflora, now I went for the linen scent. They had "bouquet" and something else (lavender perhaps?) but although I love flower scents, I'm not sure I want my home smell like them, especially when trying something for the first time!
    SwagBucks
    Sell 100 items 11/100
    • fedupfreddie
    • By fedupfreddie 1st Feb 18, 6:08 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    fedupfreddie
    I have found that a couple of drops of zoflora in the toilet after use does a wonderful job of removing nasty smells.
    • evuka
    • By evuka 1st Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    evuka
    I have a Spitz with a coat approx 6" long and 2 white cats . I had a the original Dyson DC01 which died after 12 years loyal use. I was fortunate enough to be given a Miele CatnDog via freecycle which puts anything else I've ever used in the shade...except on a couple cheapish 'felted' rugs which only respond to dragging the edge of my trainers across them. While wearing them, of course
    Originally posted by sparrer
    Reading earlier posts on the thread and found a discussion about carpet sweepers and vacuums. When my previous vacuum died I was longing for a Dyson. But even a refurbished one cost £99 and it was way over my budget. I looked up some reviews on Arg0$ and found really good ratings/comments about their own bagless one. I think it cost me £37 and it works really well with my maine coon's long hair, it's lightweight and I love the no-need-for-bags cylinder! Easy to carry, to store and clean as well. It only has one suction power but it's strong enough for carpets.
    SwagBucks
    Sell 100 items 11/100
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 5th Feb 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 18,578 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Saving pennies: one year, I asked for a year!!!8217;s subscription to Gardeners World for my birthday, and dh gave it to me. I had found a deal somewhere, so it was cheaper than normal. I have kept all the issues and read through them again every year, by month. I find that I usually have forgotten what was in them Now and then I buy or get given a newer issue, and I will replace the older one, and give it to a friend. She gives me her old interior decorating mags
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 508,05 = £ 443.74
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 5th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Redye hubbys black jeans with Dylon. Breathed a new lease of life into them.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 05-02-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 25,631 Posts
    • 54,360 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Reading earlier posts on the thread and found a discussion about carpet sweepers and vacuums. When my previous vacuum died I was longing for a Dyson. But even a refurbished one cost £99 and it was way over my budget. I looked up some reviews on Arg0$ and found really good ratings/comments about their own bagless one. I think it cost me £37 and it works really well with my maine coon's long hair, it's lightweight and I love the no-need-for-bags cylinder! Easy to carry, to store and clean as well. It only has one suction power but it's strong enough for carpets.
    Originally posted by evuka
    Is it this one?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin