Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • singlehouseholder
    • By singlehouseholder 10th Aug 06, 3:23 PM
    • 1,075Posts
    • 624Thanks
    singlehouseholder
    Snail Farm anyone??
    • 10th Aug 06, 3:23 PM
    Snail Farm anyone?? 10th Aug 06 at 3:23 PM
    The ultimate in oldschool moneysaving, get snails from your garden clean them out, well get them to clean the poo out of their system and eat them, as per the delectable Gordon Ramsey on last nights F word. Has anyone got any hints/tips on how to attract snails, where to keep them, what to feed them?? Anyone "kept" them before? I want to be a "snail-keeper."
    Ooo, I love snails me, best of all they're free!!!!!!!

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 15-08-2006 at 11:42 AM.
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
Page 1
    • tanith
    • By tanith 10th Aug 06, 3:36 PM
    • 7,982 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    tanith
    • 10th Aug 06, 3:36 PM
    • 10th Aug 06, 3:36 PM
    I saw that too but nothing on earth would entice me to eat snails .. its the next thing to eating slugs and I don't even want to think about that

His kids sure seemed to enjoy they obviously have been brought up to try anything... unlike me....
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • dumpy
    • 10th Aug 06, 3:40 PM
    Really couldn't imagine anything worse..... shudder.....
  • wigginsmum
    Personally I don't think it's worth the effort; they taste like wellyboots in garlic.

In my garden they like delphiniums, strawberries, herbs and beans.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 10th Aug 06, 3:41 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 10th Aug 06, 3:41 PM
    • 10th Aug 06, 3:41 PM
    I can't inagine eating them, but after it has been raining they are always travelling accross my path.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • liz..
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:09 PM
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:09 PM
    could sell them to the nearest French restaurant on a regular basis. Double whammy, offer to clean up people's gardens for a small fee, clean out snails and then flog to eatery!

I think you just starve the blighters for a few days to clean them out. Remember to put a lid on the container or they will all crawl away. I had a French grandma and this happened to her when she first got married.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Aug 06, 4:12 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,648 Thanks
    Floss
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:12 PM
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:12 PM
    Think Gordon said to starve them for 3-5 days, just washing with clean water. Then feed a carrot, till you see its poo turn orange (honest, thats what he said!), then clean sealed jar for 24 hrs, then 24hrs in fridge to send them to sleep before you boil them alive.

Rather you than me.....watching was more than enough for me!
    • tim_n
    • By tim_n 10th Aug 06, 4:26 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    tim_n
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:26 PM
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:26 PM
    Beer. They love it. Just stick a few trays down and check regularly. You'll get plenty of slugs too - just feed them to the birds!
    Tim
  • Lillibet
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:45 PM
    • 10th Aug 06, 4:45 PM
    I saw GR last night. Now I have eaten many things, including goat, guinea pig, kangaroo, crocodile & frogs legs but I cannot induce myself to swallow snails. Garden or gourmet variety Yuck.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • point3
    I once met a French restaurateur who set up an escargot farm in Ecuador and then had the things shipped back to France. The blighters enjoy the cool, humid mountain air there apparently. They are grown in huge black polytunnels with misting humidifiers. I wonder if you could recreate the effect with a dustbin liner?
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 10th Aug 06, 6:13 PM
    • 6,924 Posts
    • 44,208 Thanks
    Pooky
    could sell them to the nearest French restaurant on a regular basis. Double whammy, offer to clean up people's gardens for a small fee, clean out snails and then flog to eatery!

I think you just starve the blighters for a few days to clean them out. Remember to put a lid on the container or they will all crawl away. I had a French grandma and this happened to her when she first got married.
    by liz..
    Visions of your Grandma crawling out the jar when her new hubbie wasn't looking......
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 10th Aug 06, 6:40 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Has anyone got any hints/tips on how to attract snails, where to keep them, what to feed them?? Anyone "kept" them before? I want to be a "snail-keeper."
    Ooo, I love snails me, best of all they're free!!!!!!!
    by singlehouseholder
    Hi, SHH! I need to do nothing to attract the blighters, they're completely attracted to me and my garden

Come round here, and you can have as many as you like!

Loads of garlic butter, and french bread with them, but though I've eaten plenty in France, couldn't eat those from my garden.

Luckily, my chooks fight over them, and they don't need garlic

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • Kazonline
    I thought they had to be a 'special' kind! I had them as a child and loved them - but it might just be that I loved the garlic butter and champagne they were drowned in
    I did try eating a mussel at a beach once - yuck, was sick for days. Haven't been able to eat them since!
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) 320.
    Week 1 - 73.99 Week 2 5.10 (so far )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol 20.41, Clothes 8.50, House 3.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 10th Aug 06, 7:20 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    I normally love the 'f' word, but last nights wasnt one of the best, veal, snails and then his poor piggies!!!!! i know his children said they liked the snails, but the little blond one didnt look to sure when she was eating it, maybe clever editing!!!!!
  • V Chic Chick
    Please note it is a different variety of snails you eat to the common or garden snails that you can find anywhere.
    • singlehouseholder
    • By singlehouseholder 10th Aug 06, 7:52 PM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    singlehouseholder
    Thanks y'all. The big fella Gordon just got his out of his garden, starved ,cleaned em then cooked 'em. I was dubious abut eating them at first, but shut my eyes popped one in and enjoyed the taste without thinking about what they were. I dont do feathers , hair or fur, butr if its got scales, or a shell, i'm in there. To me, the texture is quite meaty, haven't eaten meat for about 16 years so that could be way off the mark. They are juicy and sweet,I 'd rather eat a snail that one of those big green lip mussel things!! I'm going to go on a mission, I shall be snail woman!! Thanks everyone!
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • liz..
    crawling grandma
    Visions of your Grandma crawling out the jar when her new hubbie wasn't looking......
    by Pooky
    Nice one Pooky, I had a laff over that one!
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 10th Aug 06, 7:58 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,181 Thanks
    comping cat
    Please note it is a different variety of snails you eat to the common or garden snails that you can find anywhere.
    by V Chic Chick
    Not according to Gordon, he collected normal garden snails from his garden, cleaned them (took a few days and involved feeding them carrots!!!) and then cooked them!!!!
    • moggins
    • By moggins 10th Aug 06, 9:47 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Yep you can eat the ones out of the garden although the ones normally eaten are Roman Snails I think? If they don't stop eating the contents of my garden then snails are all I will have to eat. I did have huge football sized cabbages until the snails got savaged them in one night, I was just on the verge of harvesting them too
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • Jay-Jay
    Ooooh I find about 50 snails every day at the field where we keep our neddies. I hate them with a passion and have to get someone to remove them before I can get on with my jobs.

They seem to like hiding down behind our feed bins but the place to find them is on the empty plastic feed sacks that are stuffed down behind the feed/water/rug barrels.

If you want to encourage them then scrunch up some thick plastic, add a few buckets here and there, scatter a handful of animal feed around, squirt some water on it and leave it.

Or come and see us and I can give you a few dozen a day.... s long as I don't have to touch them.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,690Posts Today

4,449Users online

Martin's Twitter