Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bertiebots
    Help please new MP3 player won't work?
    • 17th Apr 10, 3:40 PM
    Help please new MP3 player won't work? 17th Apr 10 at 3:40 PM
    Hi I am really hoping someone here can help please.
    I just got my Sandisk sansa clip MP3 player today and have spent all afternoon trying to download one podcast. Although I have no instruction manual I thaught this would be very easy..but nothing is working!
    I am using windows media player and then dragging the podcast in the "sync" box for the mp3 player and it is going through the sync process .
    But then its not showing (says empty) on the mp3 - even though when I try to repeat the download it says its on the device!
    I even downloaded a song from the internet , created a playlist and did the same thing (dragged etc) the playlist name came up on the mp3 but said it was empty. Now I have just deleted the song by mistake and am at the end of my tether lol!!!
    Sorry this is a bit long but I thaught the more info the easier it would be for someone to help.
    Is it possible I have got a dodgy mp3 or am I doing this all wrong??
    I am a complete disaster when it comes to stuff like this so be gentle
    Ta
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200 FEB GC £197.31 out of £180. MARCH GC - out of £200
Page 1
    • googler
    • By googler 17th Apr 10, 4:31 PM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    • 17th Apr 10, 4:31 PM
    • 17th Apr 10, 4:31 PM
    A google search for "sandisk sansa clip mp3 player", and two clicks later, it seems the User Manual can be found at;

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4303/session/L3NpZC95eDRTeUVaag%3D%3D/sno/0
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 17th Apr 10, 5:17 PM
    • 7,965 Posts
    • 13,553 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    • 17th Apr 10, 5:17 PM
    • 17th Apr 10, 5:17 PM
    For syncing with a program like WMP use MTP in settings.

For copy & Paste use MSC in settings.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • bertiebots
    • 17th Apr 10, 6:34 PM
    • 17th Apr 10, 6:34 PM
    For syncing with a program like WMP use MTP in settings.

For copy & Paste use MSC in settings.
    Originally posted by Dreamnine
    Thanks I have changed to MTP on the mp3 player settings but it still wont work. I will keep trying.....I will try the MSC now.
    • Freebyman
    • By Freebyman 18th Apr 10, 1:47 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Freebyman
    • 18th Apr 10, 1:47 AM
    • 18th Apr 10, 1:47 AM
    Strangely enough, I received mine today and it works perfectly fine.

However I didnt bother with syncing it as I have tried in the past with other devices and they never seem to work. I simply plugged it in and then it checked for a firmware update (might be the problem) and then I unplugged and plugged it back in again.

To transfer music over I went into my music folder and copied and pasted into the music folder on my sansa clip. I hope some of this helps!
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevardís white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • bertiebots
    • 18th Apr 10, 11:02 AM
    • 18th Apr 10, 11:02 AM
    Thanks ....I am about to stamp on the flippin thing as I still cant get it to work! I am going to try from scratch and NOT use wmp.
  • bertiebots
    • 18th Apr 10, 12:03 PM
    • 18th Apr 10, 12:03 PM
    Ok so I have opened the mp3 in windows explorer now and dragged the podcast into the mp3 podcast folder but it says:

...it will transfer for storage & transportation but will not play on the device itself. If possible use a media program that can convert the file before copying. If copied now it will be stored but will not be presented on the device user interface.

Before I could download the podcast I had to add a file association to the file to get it to work. I did this by selecting the wmp option and then windows explorer. neither worked (so that I can download it to the mp3) so have I done this wrong too? (it will play on the computer through wmp)

I am completely at a loss (and yes I have read the manual too now) lol!!
    help please??
  • bertiebots
    • 18th Apr 10, 1:03 PM
    • 18th Apr 10, 1:03 PM
    I have now found the firmware update download and updated the mp3 and it STILL will not work. I copied the podcast into the folder, it downloaded but didnt show on the mp3. Can someone please give me any advice on what I need to do???
    • FireFox
    • By FireFox 18th Apr 10, 1:20 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    FireFox
    • 18th Apr 10, 1:20 PM
    • 18th Apr 10, 1:20 PM
    You need to establish the file format of the podcast - they come in different flavours - and whether the Sansa supports it. As far as I can see the Sansa Clip supports mp3/WMA/WAV but there may be more.
    The fact that Windows asked for a program association suggests that the file was maybe not an mp3 or had no file extension at all (if not did you add one?).
    If you open Windows Explorer again navigate to the podcast file, right-click on it and select 'Properties' it should tell you the file type.
    Better still, post a link to the original podcast (if it's not too embarrassing) and we'll have a look.
  • bertiebots
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html

Not too embarrassing, I am following this on here The embarrassing thing is that I have been trying to sort this out for approx 8 hours!!!!!!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2357621

Says MP3 format sound...god my head hurts lol!!
    • FireFox
    • By FireFox 18th Apr 10, 4:44 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    FireFox
    Yeah, as bat999 says, the file looks okay but 40+MB!!... for a podcast!!

Do you have any other mp3s you could try?

If not, try one of the free mp3s from Last.fm (right-hand side of the homepage)

Does the Sansa not come with any samples preloaded?
  • fiddiwebb
    Yeah, as bat999 says, the file looks okay but 40+MB!!... for a podcast!!

Do you have any other mp3s you could try?

If not, try one of the free mp3s from Last.fm (right-hand side of the homepage)

Does the Sansa not come with any samples preloaded?
    Originally posted by FireFox

Yes, the Sansa Clip + does come with preloaded mp3 samples.

It should be just a matter of downloading a mp3 to your desktop on your computer/laptop and then plugging in your Sansa clip + and dragging it into whatever folder you want it in.
  • bertiebots
    Well thanks everyone but I have finally figured out what the problem was. For some reasom the files where downloading onto my pc as mp2 files. These would not work on the sansa clip so I have found a nifty free file converter and converted everything into the correct mps3 files. Success!! its only taken me all weekend

What a carry on lol...still not sure why everything is downloading in mp2 but at least I have a solution.

Here is a link for anyone with a similar problem.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/
    • Freebyman
    • By Freebyman 18th Apr 10, 8:59 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Freebyman
    Well at least it works now, something very similar happened to me years ago but not with an mp3 player. Its amazing how the littlest things can annoy you all weekend!!!
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevardís white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • SussexDon1
    I have a Sony MP3 which is not working, tried to format it, after that I can add MP3 files and I see them when I attach to the computer but the MP3 player says "no DATA" !!
    Its a Sony NW-S203F
    Do I need to put back on the software that came with the player (dont see why as this was another Windows Media type program).
    Thanks !
    • The Grandmaster
    • By The Grandmaster 16th Jun 10, 11:35 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    The Grandmaster
    Think you might as the sony player may not know how to play those files for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

6,996Users online

Martin's Twitter