Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    gaz_jones
    Word crashing each time I click 'Save' or 'Save As'
    • 16th Apr 10, 10:54 AM
    Word crashing each time I click 'Save' or 'Save As' 16th Apr 10 at 10:54 AM
    Hi all,

I've got a bit of an issue I was wondering if you could help with. I have a user that is running Office 2003 Standard Edition. Each time they write a report and go to save it, their word hangs and they loose the file.

I checked the Microsoft KB and they suggested making a change in the registry which I did (can't find the KB article at the moment). The problem kept occuring though. My next idea was to just do a fresh install of Office. I uninstalled Office, made sure any left over files were gone, restarted and then reinstalled. The issue is still happening though.

I'm unsure what to do next. I thought it was worth posting up on here in case any of you had any ideas.

Cheers everyone.
Page 1
  • omen666
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:29 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:29 AM
    I would delete the normal.dot first before anything, it will probably be that. You will find it here:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\\application data\microsoft\templates\

You will need to make sure that Word is closed. Delete the normal.dot and maybe there will be a Normal$$.dot too.

When you reopen the Word these will be rebuilt, it is the default word template which can sometimes become corrupt.

Get the user to open word again and type some words and save the document to see if it occurs again. Should be fine

If it is not do a detect and repair instead of a full reinstall. Goto Help>Detect and Repair

HTH's
  • gaz_jones
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:34 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:34 AM
    Thank you very much Omen. I will get the user to try this and report back
  • omen666
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:46 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:46 AM
    cool lets us know how you get on.
    • Lil306
    • By Lil306 16th Apr 10, 11:48 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    Lil306
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:48 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 11:48 AM
    My thoughts / suggestions

- Normal.dot
    - Profile Corruption (if roaming) / Corrupted ntuser.dat (256kb)
    - Profile permissions
    - Bad sectors on disk (check event viewer, when it crashes)

If it crashes for another user on that machine the issue is with the machine itself (registry, service packs, software, registry permissions.....)

If it crashes for just the one user, get them to logon another PC. If it crashes again then it's a problem with profile. If the issue is specific to the one PC then look at doing a local profile refresh of that users profile (basically far end of a fart to fixing a normal.dot, but more thorough if renaming normal.dot doesn't wokr)
    • jtaubman
    • By jtaubman 17th Jun 10, 6:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jtaubman
    • 17th Jun 10, 6:38 PM
    • 17th Jun 10, 6:38 PM
    A final option would also to check the registry for the last used folder, I have see this sort of problem when the last folder used is on a disk which is no longer available.

If they open an existing document does it crash if they re-save it (not save as)?

If you open a text file from the desktop and then save it does that save?

It could also be a permissions issue of some sort.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,028Posts Today

7,700Users online

Martin's Twitter