Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aliasojo
    • By aliasojo 16th Apr 10, 8:46 AM
    • 22,264Posts
    • 48,387Thanks
    aliasojo
    iTunes prob - half my songs have vanished.
    • 16th Apr 10, 8:46 AM
    iTunes prob - half my songs have vanished. 16th Apr 10 at 8:46 AM
    One day, I had several complete albums happily stored in iTunes, the next day there are songs missing here and there and iTunes says it can't locate them.

How could this have happened and is my only option finding all the cd's again and loading the songs back on?

I'm secretly blaming my OH for this as he has a new ipod touch and I suspect he's done something as he's seriously not pc savvy at all, but he's denying doing anything other than loading a cd. I could be wrong of course but it does seem odd that I've not had this happen before in years of using iTunes and he comes along and lo and behold...my music is stuffed.
    Herman - MP for all!
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Apr 10, 8:51 AM
    • 34,851 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    • 16th Apr 10, 8:51 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 8:51 AM
    go into the folder your itunes stores its music library and check if they are physically there
    also check the recycle bin
    im wondering if your OH deleted the songs from itunes than from his ipod
    • aliasojo
    • By aliasojo 16th Apr 10, 8:56 AM
    • 22,264 Posts
    • 48,387 Thanks
    aliasojo
    • 16th Apr 10, 8:56 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 8:56 AM
    Just checked. They are not in the Itunes folder and the bin is empty.

Looks like I'm cd hunting this afternoon then!
    Herman - MP for all!
  • davethekitkat
    • 16th Apr 10, 8:58 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 8:58 AM
    my itunes has done this to me before, completely erasing albums off my laptop. i'm the only person who uses my laptop, and it is passwords protected so no one else could have used it.

not sure why it does it, but itunes isnt the best piece of software in the world, even if ipods are amazing.
    Kit Kats are Amazing!
    • aliasojo
    • By aliasojo 16th Apr 10, 9:00 AM
    • 22,264 Posts
    • 48,387 Thanks
    aliasojo
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:00 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:00 AM
    Thanks dave, you've just spoilt my 'this is all your fault' speech.
    Herman - MP for all!
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Apr 10, 9:02 AM
    • 34,851 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:02 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:02 AM
    well in years of itunes use ,i cant recall it ever losing/deleting songs
  • Redman30
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:15 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:15 AM
    well in years of itunes use ,i cant recall it ever losing/deleting songs
    Originally posted by custardy
    Me either and I've used it for years also! In fact the only time I've lost half of my itunes collection was when I had 2 drives running in RAID (is it RAID0 where it saves half to each drive for faster access?) and one of them died, my that was fun.

I'd still blame the other half if I was you, he's probably synched it the wrong way round, realised it was deleting and pulled the plug
    • aliasojo
    • By aliasojo 16th Apr 10, 9:21 AM
    • 22,264 Posts
    • 48,387 Thanks
    aliasojo
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:21 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:21 AM
    i'd still blame the other half if i was you, he's probably synched it the wrong way round, realised it was deleting and pulled the plug
    Originally posted by redman30
    I wouldn't be surprised!
    Herman - MP for all!
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Apr 10, 9:24 AM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 6,918 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:24 AM
    • 16th Apr 10, 9:24 AM
    Hi Have you looked at the properties for the disk on where they were stored,
    check previous versions, you may have a previous version in a restore point. I just deleted a file on my disk and got it back from yesterdays restore point. Mind you I am using W7
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th Apr 10, 9:26 AM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 6,918 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Just to clear up, I did not do a restore I used properties of C drive , previous versions, then selected one and opened it , the copied the file back to where it was.
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
  • travis.b
    i've had this problem before, its has often been to do with this ridiculous option they have of how to organise your music, so not just playing them, but making folders for individual artists etc. in this case the song might have moved into different folders, or could have just been deleted somehow. at least you have them on cds, my ipod broke with 13,000 tracks that i didnt have anywhere else! had to buy a new ipod with my earning since i sell my gold, i thought i should have gone for something other than an ipod seeing as my last one of rubbish
    Last edited by travis.b; 21-04-2010 at 8:45 AM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Apr 10, 10:20 AM
    • 34,851 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    i've had this problem before, its has often been to do with this ridiculous option they have of how to organise your music, so not just playing them, but making folders for individual artists etc. in this case the song might have moved into different folders, or could have just been deleted somehow. at least you have them on cds, my ipod broke with 13,000 tracks that i didnt have anywhere else!
    Originally posted by travis.b
    what,all your music was on your ipod with no back up?
  • epatolles
    if your tracks are on your ipod you can easily restore... theres hundreds of sites online that show you how to do it!

don't need a download or anything - its just a few steps - time it takes depends on how many songs you have... but its DEFO worth it!
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Apr 10, 12:08 PM
    • 34,851 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    if your tracks are on your ipod you can easily restore... theres hundreds of sites online that show you how to do it!

don't need a download or anything - its just a few steps - time it takes depends on how many songs you have... but its DEFO worth it!
    Originally posted by epatolles
    how are you going to use software to 'restore' your songs without downloading anything?
    or are you saying theres a website than can access your ipod and restore songs to itunes?
    • googler
    • By googler 16th Apr 10, 12:27 PM
    • 15,340 Posts
    • 10,094 Thanks
    googler
    how are you going to use software to 'restore' your songs without downloading anything?
    or are you saying theres a website than can access your ipod and restore songs to itunes?
    'Software' in this case being iTunes. You import the contents of the iPod into iTunes, hence restoring the library to a mirror of the iPod.

Lots of websites detail how to do it. Google "restoring itunes library from ipod" and variations thereof to find them.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Apr 10, 12:43 PM
    • 34,851 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    'Software' in this case being iTunes. You import the contents of the iPod into iTunes, hence restoring the library to a mirror of the iPod.

Lots of websites detail how to do it. Google "restoring itunes library from ipod" and variations thereof to find them.
    Originally posted by googler
    there are far easier ways using 3rd party apps which are free
    Last edited by custardy; 16-04-2010 at 12:46 PM.
  • Leopard

Thanks dave, you've just spoilt my 'this is all your fault' speech.
    Originally posted by aliasojo
    Just as well. He'd probably have replied that he didn't think you were stupid enough not to have backed it up!

custardy,

(Personal note)

I do hope that you have by now made a full recovery from your eyesight problem.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Apr 10, 1:46 PM
    • 34,851 Posts
    • 29,558 Thanks
    custardy
    fraid not,nowhere near as bad as it was but still niggling
    holding off going to the docs and hoping time will fix it
  • Leopard

Hang in there; be realistic but don't give up hope. Moorfields did great things for me. Ask your doctor for a referral there, even if it involves travel. They're the best.

Good luck with it!

(PS. Apologies for the brief interruption to your thread, aliasojo. )
    Last edited by Leopard; 16-04-2010 at 2:13 PM. Reason: added a postscript.
  • epatolles
    there are far easier ways using 3rd party apps which are free

i tried the apps and tbh doing it the way i eventually did it turned out the easiest and quickest plus you dont need any software downloaded to do it so its simple really!

just a case of unticking a few boxes and copy and pasting... doubt its beyond most people's capabilities! plus the instructions on it are so easy i did it whilst half asleep!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,076Posts Today

8,541Users online

Martin's Twitter