Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    • 7,007Posts
    • 48,048Thanks
    newgirly
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun!
    • 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun! 15th Apr 10 at 11:02 PM
    I have been reading other peoples posts for a while,trying to get myself in the right frame of mind to start overpaying on the mortage.DH and I have a house worth about £220,000 with a mortgage of £159,000 although we only paid £120,000 for it (£93,000 mortgage) to start. So as you can see we have been not so great in the past! Last year we also owed about £20,000 on credit cards which is now down to £10,000. I really want to get rid of the mortgage before our youngest turn 18, the twins are nearly 10 now. So any words of encouragement would be great, I need keeping on the straight and narrow.

Xmas paid for by saving £1 a day minimum in a sealed tin, plus homemade/sale stuff.
    Birthdays now in monthly budget, plus extra vouchers earned

I am taking part in the earn £2012 in 2012 challenge on the up your income board, so whatever earned from that will be split between op's and holidays fingers crossed.

Budget from may 2012 onwards:

income.................2092.00
    child benefit..........188.60
    child tax cr..............0 no longer!
    total....................£2280.60

mobiles x 2...........32.00
    tv licence..............12.37
    elec/gas................140.00
    water....................60.00
    council tax............125.83
    home insurance.......11.83
    pension..................21.90
    life ins....................15.17
    sky ........................21.00
    car tax....................15.83
    car ins.....................22.00
    car maintenance.........8.33
    petrol.......................60.00

school dinners............48.00 (1 dinner/1 bacon sarnie each pw)
    pocket money.............20.00
    clothes.......................30.00
    birthdays....................50.00

grocery.......................250.00
    (food/pets/cleaning)
    DH's money.................100.00
    0%cc ................................32.35
    mortgage interest.........425.00
    mortage overpayment....778.39

money in: £2280.60
    money out:£2280.60

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by newgirly; 16-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Page 409
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Jan 20, 10:37 AM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    themadvix
    Budget all sounds in hand.

So sorry to hear about DD's placement though. It sounds awful, no wonder she needs cheering up! I agree about leaving - being there is clearly of no benefit at all. Good luck to her finding something new - from what you've said she's really bright and super motivated so I'm sure she'll find something soon!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Jan 20, 10:50 AM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Thanks vix, fingers crossed!
    MFW 38

2020 start bal:£73,119, current bal: £73,119 target £18,000, £ opíd
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Jan 20, 10:31 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Great news today, dd has another work placement where she had previously interviewed for before Xmas , somewhere sheís much happier with she starts Monday. Its in soho with no mention of travel reimbursements, so itís great but a bit as to how much it will cost altogether as you often need money for meetings out and about. Previous budget of £200 we had allocated may not touch the sides! It could be great experience though which is the main thing.
    In other good news ds2ís girlfriend has a new job too today

Not so good at our work though, planned business relocations of other acquired business by the boss is not going the way we had hoped, with dh doing the moving from the midlands (for no extra money of course) and putting in all the machines to another business in central London not ours in east London as we had hoped.

The upside is we have had a really good chat about everything tonight and have come to an agreement about what we are both trying to work towards- he wants more money and less stress (being taken over has not been the easy solution we hoped for as it feels as though our jobs are still at risk) and the chance to move elsewhere or reduce hours. To be honest I just want to pay the mortgage off and leave

Still itís good to be clear about the reasons for oping and the more onboard he is the easier it is for me to be a tightwad, as long as we can afford the cinema still he is pretty much happy

Mse bits today:

Leftovers and freezer batch cooked food for dinner

Cinema with unlimited card (may have paid for dd too though )

£1 op made

Gas and electric meters read and updated
    MFW 38

• South coast
    • By South coast 11th Jan 20, 6:49 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    South coast
    Well done to DD for getting a new placement so quickly!
    Good to have DH on the same page about money as well, even if the reason for it isn't positive. A push factor can be a much better motivator than a pull one

Good luck for the decorating and new flooring
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 11th Jan 20, 8:54 AM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi southcoast, I doubt he would ever leave when it comes to it though southcoast, heís been there his whole adult life. I guess the option to leave if you want to is a huge bonus though when things get difficult.

Lots needs doing this weekend:

Washing, then ironing when dry

Stripping walls

Maybe take dd to see dhs parents

Pack up some stuff downstairs to get out of way

Food shop

Meal planning for week

Bq trip to choose paint and possibly wallpaper for one wall in the hall

Hopefully cinema to see 1917

Wrap (2) birthday presents and do cards for four this week

Doubt all that will get done to be honest
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 11th Jan 20, 9:35 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Lots needs doing this weekend:

Washing, then ironing when dry.....lots done

Stripping walls ... dh has started

Maybe take dd to see dhs parents ....cancelled sheís going next week

Pack up some stuff downstairs to get out of way .....all done except hallway

Food shop .....did huge shop spent too much!

Meal planning for week .....done

Bq trip to choose paint and possibly wallpaper for one wall in the hall.....got samples and almost decided

Hopefully cinema to see 1917

Wrap (2) birthday presents and do cards for four this week ....done

Getting there
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 12th Jan 20, 9:19 AM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Iíve spent money

Iíve booked a sun holiday for September I have been following a thread on the days out board where they post the code words to book online. I was thinking of Devon or Scotland perhaps (stopping at York either way) but in the end plumped for butlins Bognor Regis. I was looking for caravan in Sussex but that popped up and we used to take the kids when little so it seemed nostalgic

The main point of all this though is itís only 19 mins away from goodwood and I booked for revival weekend we have not been since my 40th when we paid a silly amount for a nearby hotel and havenít been back due to cost and everything usually being fully booked.

Dh doesnít know and can have the ticket for his birthday (only ten days before ) and Iíll get my ticket for my birthday too. Holiday cost so far £40.80 plus £10 pp due on arrival for entertainment passes, which we will buy for a nose around even though we probably wonít stay all weekend and go Sunday morning. Costumes, dh can wear an old flying jacket of my dads and Leviís /white T-shirt and I have a 50s dress that will do.

Slight issue as when I paid it said no service charges and after I paid it said £14 per unit per night so Iíve emailed them, but either way itís a really cheap break Cost for break will come from person spends next month (canít believe Iím paying for a holiday from small personal spends ) and tickets from birthday pot where Iíll borrow mine and give back from birthday money, a bit presumptuous I know but I always get money
    MFW 38

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 12th Jan 20, 2:14 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 7,554 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Great to mix 2 things you enjoy

We've collect our local papers tokens. For GD and DD1... I'm now thinking give them the tokens rather than go with
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950
    Re mortgage August 19 £110470, HSBC £3000cc, Hfx £6500, NW £5150 M&S £1100,
    CC 16150 Ö Mortgage £107900
    plus car £6000 , it's coming down
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 12th Jan 20, 4:10 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    They are certainly good value, could you do one with and one without them?

Ouch Iíve just checked and my tesc@ big shop yesterday has tipped the budget from squeaky to impossible £205 left to last until the 10th February for groceries/petrol tax. There is also £67.50 cash in my purse for misc. bits (best friends birthday coffee and lunch out for example).

If I stick to the budget there will be a £270 surplus next month to op, however.... dh has stripped the downstairs and three of the walls in the living room have blown and need plastering possibly the guy doing the floor can do it. Plus we need to buy plug sockets and light switches. So that along with the lining paper and paint Iím sure will wipe out the extra.

Still on track to make this months first proper big mortgage payment of 2020 though and thatís the main thing

Mse stuff today:

Dh stripping the walls not paying somebody

Found a kiplin@ bag in the hall drawers whilst clearing out for the builder and washed it ready to list on flea bay along with a third hand ted baker purse also found dhs sander which saves him buying a new one.

Huge savings in my switch to tesc@ value tea bags lately too, we are getting through a box a week currently still have leaves for those times only a pot will do
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 12th Jan 20, 7:21 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Too much time my hands today as I’ve been doing the finances again

I thought it would be a good idea when on a super tight budget this year to make a list of all the “extras” I think I’m going to pay for with no money allocated.

Goodwood /butlins trip sept :

Tickets- birthday presents £0
    Extra booking charges £65 max
    Diesel £50
    Spending money £85

Total : £200

Alton towers scarefest :

Cottage balance. £178
    Tickets. £88 max
    Photos £15
    Misc. drinks out £30
    Diesel £50

Total: £361

Cruise :

Spending money £240 (+ cabin credit & cash from dh)

Big birthdays :

Ds2’s girlfriends 21st £100 extra
    DD’s boyfriends 30th £100 extra

Total: £200

Total yearly extra : £1001

That’s clearly not going to be paid for as and when I have extra money, the best way I think is to spread it over the tens months in which it required. So I’m reducing my food and grocery budget by £60 and my personal spends by £40 pm starting now, which also reduces the surplus I can spend on the living room expenses by £100.

£17.89 op made
    Last edited by newgirly; 12-01-2020 at 8:13 PM.
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 14th Jan 20, 6:59 AM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    £9.03 op made today, dipped 97p under in the zero accounting so I reduced my “fun fund” for next month to round it down by £10.

Not much to report as everything is ticking over ok, £3 out of daily budget spent in £1land on washing liquid and cheap face moisturiser to try, plus a box of matchmakers to go with the birthday cash for best friends sons birthday.

Coffee and toasty bought for dd is c@sta using points , not many left now

I got the email confirmation from sun holidays and there is no service charge as I went room only £40.80 paid and £20 to pay on arrival for entertainment passes. So pleased it’s so cheap and just us going
    MFW 38

• South coast
    • By South coast 14th Jan 20, 7:07 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    South coast
    Morning NG, your accounting methods make my head spin, but if it works for you then (and as I have just posted a very complicated description of my thought process on my own diary, think I may be in a bit of a glass house....)
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 14th Jan 20, 11:13 AM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    themadvix
    You sound very on top of things NG! And a great way to do Goodwood too! (DH and I are/were thinking about volunteering - you camp and do a six-hour shift each day but get free passes ). Not sure we've given it too much thought yet though.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 14th Jan 20, 9:23 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi south coast, I know itís way over complicated Iíll go and have a look at you diary now I think!

Hi vix, thatís interesting and a much cheaper way of doing it especially if your are going the whole weekend. Let us know if you go and Iíll give you a wave

Arghhh, stress out tonight! Mil has rung dh and wants him to take her to spain in three weeks time to see her brother (sheís Spanish) who has Parkinsonís. She canít take fil and clearly his two other brothers wonít go. Apparently elder brother (no kids, mortgage free, non stressful job, plenty of money) is looking at flights to book for her and dh to go soon- before asking him of course. In exactly three weeks he is supposed to be relocating the new factory in the midlands to London.

Mil canít wait longer than three weeks as he might not remember who she is by then and dh said ages ago he would go at some point with her so now feels guilty/obliged. It will be for at least a week and the timing couldnít be worse. Younger brother is an Uber driver so I would have thought has a bit more flexibility.

Iím leaving it to dh to decide what to do and saving my moaning for here
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 16th Jan 20, 6:27 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Work has been very stressful this week, especially for dh. He has told his mum that he wonít be able to take her to Spain imminently but will do later in the year, sheís going anyway though. He feels bad but the timing couldnít be worse with work.

Heís now looking for a new delivery driver after our lovely but elderly guy wrote off his car on the way home last night, luckily heís fine but he wonít be back driving again. Itís all happening at the moment!

Still today has been a good day, Iíve had a very nice posh breakfast with friends, it was expensive but a posh breakfast is still cheaper than an average dinner out £18 spent including tip. Iíve also spent on a couple of c@th kidston purses in the sale for birthday presents for dd and a friend, half price then another 10% off and free delivery, all from the birthday pot.

Not much to report, Iím hanging on for payday even though itís a different day/date every month which is very annoying. As it stands at the moment this months op will be slightly higher than was planned and that was quite stretching
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 17th Jan 20, 10:55 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Today I went out for lunch for best friends birthday (part 2) as planned and I treated her to lunch at prezz@ £26 for both of us for 1&1/2 drinks , starters and mains each- pretty good

Also got myself some £1land cleanser and moisturisers as Iíve run out of everything and tried their day cream recently and itís really good, so £5 spent on everything else they do that I normally use.

Dhs new hsb@ account is open and switched so Iím eagerly waiting for a switching bonus so I can op it.

Still hanging in with the food budget and we wonít starve just yet! Iím managing so much better with the budget due to spending so much time in the kitchen. Iím not meal planning as such , more in reverse really - seeing whatís a good price and working around it, for example Tuesday night was going to be chicken curry (frozen chicken breasts) but I came across some very reduced potatoes so I did lots of roast spuds and a quick ďroast dinnerĒ with frozen veg. Normally Iím too lazy for this after work but itís big savings day after day and we are eating better for it even if itís not too fancy
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 18th Jan 20, 9:45 AM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Broken nights sleep due to tiptoeing returners in the early hours, one of whom is on the sofa still, luckily itís ďsleepy tommyď so the wallpaper stripping can be continued around him and he wonít wake up, I once hoovered him when I found him amongst a load of crisps one morning, he never woke up

Decision made on paint colour, overtly olive on the chimney breast and the cheapest off white I can source everywhere else. It was half price in wilk@ yesterday and they didnít have that colour and it couldnít be ordered online it now full price and back in stock, what a coincidence!

No spend weekend planned, not for dh though who has been to the bakers round the corner to buy a £2 sandwich loaf as itís a bit nicer than the white m&s sandwich loaf I bought yesterday! To be fair he shouldnít be expected to slum it with m&s bread
    MFW 38

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 18th Jan 20, 7:57 PM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Very boring day today, mostly ironing and feeling miserable about my lack of ideas to earn extra to op at the moment. After Xmas I always have a flurry of mse extra cash earning and savings then it gets harder to find ideas to earn and cutting back gets harder the longer you do it as more stuff creeps along you need to pay for that canít wait. Itís only January still too, I canít give up just yet

Off to check tcb and main account for any extra that may have magically appeared and perhaps read some frugal blogs.
    MFW 38

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 19th Jan 20, 9:09 AM
    • 2,693 Posts
    • 14,755 Thanks
    themadvix
    ‘Sleepy Tommy’ made me lol!

Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint - it’s hard when the first flurry of motivation wanes, but you’ve got to ‘just keep swimming’.... that’s why I have a repetitive list of all the daily things I do on my diary - it reminds me that I am achieving things every day.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 19th Jan 20, 9:21 AM
    • 7,007 Posts
    • 48,048 Thanks
    newgirly
    Morning vix, I feel like itís more of a sprint at the moment as I donít want to extend the term think I just need to get settled into in to a new low spending routine so itís normal (again) and not hard work. Keeping a daily check list is a good idea though , I shall start

The downstairs in a mess, dh is happier stripping the walls on his own - hooray nearly finished now and just one wall in the hall left to do. I was hoping to get him to the cinema later for a rest.

Todayís plans:

- try and clean up downstairs hopefully

- cinema

- post signature paperwork to HSBC

- check if I can log on my new account there too

- cook up what might go to waste in fridge for the week

- work out daily planned budget left until 10th feb
    MFW 38

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,674Users online

Martin's Twitter