Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mortgage op made as usual this month, £1398 plus an extra £88 on top that would have been left after all the bills come out this month.

I feel quite rough today, I'm hoping it's just tablets I have recently started taking that are doing it - I feel nauseous and have a tight throat all the time, think I may have to go to the doctors Monday which will be a pain as I'm supposed to start work by 5am ish as it's half term so I can be back for the kids.

Dh was not working today so we went to romford to visit some £1 shops, I rarely go there as it's not my favourite place and is so busy. However it was well worth it as I bought the popcorn tubs I've been after for the last few weeks. Red and white striped retro plastic tubs that I'm going to make some xmas eve cinema hampers for, for my lot and my best friends little boys.

I also found some clear cellophane in hobbycraft in the sale for wrapping £4 for 20m, just need a couple of DVDs and some popcorn, I already have xmas mugs , hot chocolate , marshmallows and chocolate shavings -all also from £1 shops :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Glad you enjoyed your cruise, but sorry to hear you aren't feeling too good at the moment.

Back in my Essex childhood, Romford was *the* shopping destination for my mum and I.

To get there we'd get a train to Upminster, then change trains by charging over the bridge to get the connecting train, which left a minute later.

I haven't been to Romford for about 30 years. If I still lived in Essex, I think Lakeside would be my first choice.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • newgirly
    Hi Goldiegirl, we were very close by then ;) lakeside is by far my favourite especially since they put a huge three storey primarni right in the middle of it :D

No plans for today, dh is already up and watching films on his laptop which will probably take up most of the day unless we go out,I'm still feeling sick and not getting much sympathy from him :( plus I got woken up early by some random idiots having a shouting match in the street at 5 am this morning.

Anyway moaning over, I do need to get organised for the week as I'm working so and the kids are home alone a bit - first stop make them clear out theory rooms "shudder"!
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Very strange, I goggled when the clocks go back yesterday and it came up with next Sundays date, today I've just realised its already happened! We did have the curtains shut early to watch saving mr banks yesterday so I didn't notice it get dark early :o

I'm supposed to be at work now but am booking a Drs appointment , usually they fit me in the same day. I should have gone Friday really as I've spent the weekend worrying, which can't have helped.

Not much sorted for half term yet, I have bought a couple of bits from £1 land to decorate and will get a pumpkin of course, we have vouchers for the rides at Southend to use up so could go there one day maybe, me and dd are going to see the theatre version of Frankenstein at the cinema (again!) this year on thurs other than that it may well be a quiet one this year.
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hope you manage to get in to see the Dr today xx
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hope you are ok Newgirly and manage to get into the doctors. I am off much of half term but not many plans. Mine are easy to entertain at a cheaper cost though. We might go for a few walks as weather meant to be fine.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Thanks pink poppy and cath, I did get an appointment, she couldn't find anything (I feel like I have a lump/tightness in my throat) she said of it's still there in two weeks she will start to investigate. I think if she was worried she would have referred me straight away but I don't feel that much reassured! I did do a bit of googling at the weekend :eek: and it can be caused by stress.
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Glad you managed to get an appointment. Try & relax over the next couple of weeks (you do seem to have been constantly on the go lately) & stop googling!! xx
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • newgirly
    Thanks pink poppy you are very kind, and I shall try :)

Trying to rest on the sofa tonight, blanket and cat on lap , dog by feet :D

Another mr t delivery today £42, I'm enjoying never having to shop anymore, if aldi did deliveries then it would be perfect. So far tescos have been ok including the fruit and veg which was a pleasant surprise, even value strawberries have lasted four days or so.

I'm wondering what other parts of my life can be streamlined to make it easier, I suppose training my kids to help more is the most important step, they have been spoilt by having a sahm up until last year and I've done way to much for them which doesn't help me or more importantly them.
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    newgirly wrote: »
    I had a good look last night on the op spreadsheet, trying to decide whether to continue as I am - oping £1398 to finish the term on time April 2022 whilst keeping half the loft extension costs (£12k ish) on 0% ccs and paying off slowly. Or, clear all the cards next year and then probably struggling to clear the mortgage by end of term.

I think I'm going to stay as we are, it still seems easy to shuffle them and the fee is less than the mortgage rate is.

This is quite similar to us as we have a large balance on 0% cards from home improvements like yourself. We have a good 5 year fix (4.5 years left on 2.99%) and I feel like we should be maximising OP's to take advantage of this as there will always be 0% switching deals around. I might do some figures and see what I can come up with.
    newgirly wrote: »

Another mr t delivery today £42, I'm enjoying never having to shop anymore, if aldi did deliveries then it would be perfect. So far tescos have been ok including the fruit and veg which was a pleasant surprise, even value strawberries have lasted four days or so.

I'm wondering what other parts of my life can be streamlined to make it easier, I suppose training my kids to help more is the most important step, they have been spoilt by having a sahm up until last year and I've done way to much for them which doesn't help me or more importantly them.

I start a new mon-fri full time job next week and fitting in the supermarket shop is something I need to address. Think I will go back to online shopping and ask DH to do top up shop on way home from work if time. He has to race round picking the children up so it's always busy. Definitely get your 3 on board with helping in the house, will definitely help you out and I am sure they will be happy to help after some initial persuasion!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback