Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    • 6,264Posts
    • 43,271Thanks
    newgirly
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun!
    • 15th Apr 10, 11:02 PM
    Pay off mortgage and start having fun! 15th Apr 10 at 11:02 PM
    I have been reading other peoples posts for a while,trying to get myself in the right frame of mind to start overpaying on the mortage.DH and I have a house worth about 220,000 with a mortgage of 159,000 although we only paid 120,000 for it (93,000 mortgage) to start. So as you can see we have been not so great in the past! Last year we also owed about 20,000 on credit cards which is now down to 10,000. I really want to get rid of the mortgage before our youngest turn 18, the twins are nearly 10 now. So any words of encouragement would be great, I need keeping on the straight and narrow.

Xmas paid for by saving 1 a day minimum in a sealed tin, plus homemade/sale stuff.
    Birthdays now in monthly budget, plus extra vouchers earned

I am taking part in the earn 2012 in 2012 challenge on the up your income board, so whatever earned from that will be split between op's and holidays fingers crossed.

Budget from may 2012 onwards:

income.................2092.00
    child benefit..........188.60
    child tax cr..............0 no longer!
    total....................2280.60

mobiles x 2...........32.00
    tv licence..............12.37
    elec/gas................140.00
    water....................60.00
    council tax............125.83
    home insurance.......11.83
    pension..................21.90
    life ins....................15.17
    sky ........................21.00
    car tax....................15.83
    car ins.....................22.00
    car maintenance.........8.33
    petrol.......................60.00

school dinners............48.00 (1 dinner/1 bacon sarnie each pw)
    pocket money.............20.00
    clothes.......................30.00
    birthdays....................50.00

grocery.......................250.00
    (food/pets/cleaning)
    DH's money.................100.00
    0%cc ................................32.35
    mortgage interest.........425.00
    mortage overpayment....778.39

money in: 2280.60
    money out:2280.60

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by newgirly; 16-03-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Page 330
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 21st Jun 17, 7:10 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Sorry to hear your sad news NG x
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 21st Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 16,586 Posts
    • 109,529 Thanks
    gallygirl
    OH that is sad news NG. It sounds like he is already part of your family and I'm sure you will all support him. Sometimes there really is nothing you can say, but a hug always works xx
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 21st Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 22,913 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    So sorry to hear this.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 5% paid Overpayments: 592.38 Emergency Fund: 61%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 21st Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    newgirly
    Thanks guys, they have popped round tonight so Dd can get clothes for the week as she will stay with him, as he doesn't want to leave his younger sisters.

Super hot here today, the heat has clearly meant the poor builders have had to work for just a few hours at a snails pace!
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/11,092 paid so far

Mortgage 38,275 4yrs 1mth left. Total owed 50,898 plan to clear in 14 months
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 21st Jun 17, 11:42 PM
    • 6,066 Posts
    • 32,094 Thanks
    AlexLK
    NG:

Re. neighbours: you may be overreacting if it's a one-off incident but I'd keep note of it for if it carries on.

Re. your daughter's boyfriend's mum: I'm very sorry to hear what has happened and quite shocked to read such sad news (it is usually inflatable flamingos and highly-flammable house coats on here ). I cannot really imagine what your daughter's boyfriend is going through at the moment and also be prepared to support your daughter. This may sound rather callous but I say this from my own experiences; choosing to live sometimes doesn't seem the right choice to make and it is that individual's choice. A great deal of anguish will have led to the decision. Please encourage your daughter's boyfriend, his sisters and possibly your daughter to seek counselling.
    2018 totals:
    Savings 7,600
    Mortgage Overpayments 1,750
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 22nd Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi Alex, thanks for the comments. I will suggest counselling to him for sure, at the moment he seems to think he is ok and 'almost expected it one day' how he feels will change many times though as he comes to terms with it. He is a very sensible strong young man, but I believe this is his first experience of death and grief. I just feel so sad for him as even if you can move on it's a cloud that will always be there.

No work today thank goodness, I'm going out with my best friend for the day shopping and for breakfast and lunch (very low cal as it s weigh in day) I am so looking forward to it, everything at home and at work has been quite stressful lately and a bit of shopping and aircon may help.

Payday tomorrow, I've not updated last months figures -or lack of them! Dad said he would pay for the bathroom bedroom switch including fittings etc. But I do feel a bit awkward asking for money for what I've bought so will probably end up paying for some of it.

Also trying to pull together a break for dh and I, not sure how where or when but I am desperate to get away for a bit and he could really do with a rest, not sure how the logistics of that would work at the moment though.
    MFW 21

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 22nd Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 16,586 Posts
    • 109,529 Thanks
    gallygirl
    I'm going out with my best friend for the day shopping and for breakfast and lunch (very low cal as it s weigh in day)
    Originally posted by newgirly
    No, no, no. It's not the calories that count on weigh-in day, it's how heavy the food is .
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 22nd Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    newgirly
    souffle for lunch then?
    Last edited by newgirly; 22-06-2017 at 8:38 AM.
    MFW 21

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 22nd Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 9,595 Thanks
    themadvix
    So sorry to hear your news NG. Wise words from Alex re counselling, when the time is right. x
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = 626
    OPs 2016 = 6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Dec 2017: 96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 23rd Jun 17, 11:35 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    newgirly
    I've done something very spontaneous

I've booked a WEEK LONG cruise leaving this Thursday. It's the only time dh can go before prices go up a lot in the the holidays, coupled with us having the builders working, along with the fact I can use that as an excuse to get the boys to stay at my parents (no worries about parties etc!) and Dd and her boyfriend can have the house to themselves if they want it.

It's done and now I am panicking a fair bit!

I had a long chat with dd and she is fine with it, we have sorted out as much as we can for the moment to help out, but the arrangements they are making will take time due to the circumstances.

Everything was fully booked up except a Cunard cruise to Italy and croatia, I almost booked it but couldn't find my passport, spent a couple of hours searching and eventually found it. Thought I'd read some reviews before paying and although it seemed great the dress code was really strict, along with a much higher cost. Then I noticed a p and o one suddenly available which had not been earlier today. Gave them a ring and booked it quickly 679 each compared to 1100 for the Cunard one.

We will be flying (I don't like flying!) to Malta and sailing mostly around Greece.

Can't believe I've done it and am really worried about missing the kids and being homesick - I get homesick even if I'm away with he kids, dh and my parents but we have been a bit bogged down with life lately and it will do us good to have some fun, the kids don't want to go away with us anyway at the moment.

As for the financial impact, I think it will add a month on the term.....
    MFW 21

• smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 24th Jun 17, 6:49 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 30,122 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Woohoo! Exciting.
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 24th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 7,056 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Enjoy the holiday, what a fantastic bargain!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 25th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    newgirly
    Useless effing builders not here again

I've been the creator of my own stressful situation this week by booking a cruise in a few days whilst having a dh missing in action (trying to everything done at work before we can go)

Brother moving house this week- needing help cleaning and unpacking, , I've been there about six hours today

A house that's filthy from building work

A lack of suitable holiday clothes

A pile of ironing about 5ft 7

Nothing for dinner

No cruise parking/insurance etc. Booked and no idea of luggage allowances

Nothing even cleaned or ironed for the kids to take to mums

Flooring not chosen and bought for bedroom

Finances not looked at in a while
    MFW 21

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 25th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 16,586 Posts
    • 109,529 Thanks
    gallygirl

As for the financial impact, I think it will add a month on the term.....
    And it just might add a few years to your lives!!!!! Well done .
    Save
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • A Frayed Knot
    • By A Frayed Knot 25th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 2,363 Posts
    • 10,542 Thanks
    A Frayed Knot
    Useless effing builders not here again

I've been the creator of my own stressful situation this week by booking a cruise in a few days whilst having a dh missing in action (trying to everything done at work before we can go)

Brother moving house this week- needing help cleaning and unpacking, , I've been there about six hours today

A house that's filthy from building work

A lack of suitable holiday clothes

A pile of ironing about 5ft 7

Nothing for dinner

No cruise parking/insurance etc. Booked and no idea of luggage allowances

Nothing even cleaned or ironed for the kids to take to mums

Flooring not chosen and bought for bedroom

Finances not looked at in a while
    Who cares? not you . . . You are going on holiday

Have a lovely time, well deserved, the last minute booked ones are the best

ps Just remembered, I booked a holiday while at work one afternoon, got away 30 mins early that day, got home, packed and was at the airport - all within 1 hour Collapsed on seat in plane, and ordered a drink, little did I know (the little bottle contained a double - and I don't normally drink).
    Not sure if I even brushed my hair until I got on flight
    Last edited by A Frayed Knot; 25-06-2017 at 2:44 PM.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage balance and one day it will all be 0's
    Target 19 months 5/24
    MFMarch 30 Re/M Oct 23 Target -Dec 19
    O/P's 2014/4000, 2015/6294.69, 2016/3186.80, 2017 4068.97

• themadvix
    • By themadvix 26th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 9,595 Thanks
    themadvix
    NG, your kids are old enough to sort their own washing out (and who needs ironing!). Do what you absolutely need to do to get you and DH out of there and the rest can wait! Have a fab time!
    OPs 2017 = 3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = 626
    OPs 2016 = 6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: 132000; balance Dec 2017: 96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 27th Jun 17, 8:20 AM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    newgirly
    Thanks guys, don't think I can get organised in an hour a frayed knot

I'm getting there slowly, unlike my useless invisible builder he's done about 3 hours since last Friday when I had a strong conversation with him , where he promised to work the whole weekend! It's a fine line between him taking the p and him walking off the job and leaving us with no builders until we can get a new one.

Poor Dd and her boyfriend, his car broke down miles away in Luton on the way back from the funeral place yesterday, they have had it towed back to our house. It's awkward as the only car I can borrow from my dad is being fixed too at the moment, so if he needs to borrow ours for he week he will have to take us to Gatwick. Hopefully will find out soon how long his will take to fix.

My to do list is going to take some time today!
    MFW 21

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 28th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    amazing, cruise sounds heavenly .. have a wonderful time x
    MORTGAGE FREE (but homeless) hopefully not homelessfor long
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 28th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 6,264 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    newgirly
    Stress at sky high levels! The funeral has been booked for Tuesday -while we are away, apparently her partner wants it all over with asap, he has also gone for an open casket not really sure how that's an option, plus he wants Dd to film the service, yes that is not a joke.......

Anyway, we are doing the order of service for them at work and I've ordered some flowers. We can't really do much else really.

House a tip, packing not finished, I'm worrying about plane crashes and thinking about that film alive, although I'm pretty sure we don't fly over the Andes to get to Malta

Dh has kindly arranged for us to go for a work do the day after we get back (if Dd is not free) and said yes to a last minute wedding invite the day after that. It's not like we will be busy or anything having been away a week, have a house upside down, kids we have not seen etc.

I've had my hair highlighted again today, its now properly blonde and cut into a much shorter scruffy long bob aka "old lady hair style" according to my youngest , who it should be noted gave himself pink highlights today, so is in no position to judge.
    MFW 21

• CathT
    • By CathT 29th Jun 17, 6:39 AM
    • 5,542 Posts
    • 38,645 Thanks
    CathT
    Sounds like a much needed break for you both, hope you manage to switch off whilst you are away.
    May 2018 -
    part 1 - 77,906
    part 2 - 45,391
    Total - 123,297
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,657Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin