PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone manage the monthly challenge shopping organic?

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    I manage organic veg, and occasionally meat. I spend about £30 a week, to feed 2 adults and 3 children, inclused cleaning stuff/toiletries.

Would you consider posting an example of a week's meals Sarah ? I'm sure lots of people would appreciate it, I certainly would as I think we probably cook similar kinds of things but I can't get my budget that low.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yep will do, this week it's Indian week, last week it was Italian!
    Yesterday - saag aloo, chicken pilaf (with leftover chicken from sunday) , poppodoms and naan bread
    today - aubergine curry and rice, broccoli
    Wednesday - chicken with spinach and bombay potatoes
    Thursday - day off indian food for dd who only eats the rice and bread :rolleyes: - HM pizza and salad
    Friday - off to a wedding but will probably leave the babysitter something easy to feed the kids - eggy bread or toasted sandwiches and plenty of fruit.
    Havent got as far as the weekend yet LOL But probably someything more adventurous.
    Dessert we have fruit, I have made a banana cake this week, or else nothing because really we don't usually NEED it.
    Breakfast is cereals, porridge or toast or homegrown eggs:)
    Kids have packed lunch at school and they are in a playscheme so packed lunch there too.

HTH

Will post the 'italian week' later if you want;)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    Hi Sarah,

Can you post the recipes for sag aloo and aubergine curry... I have frozen spinach, would that work or would I need fresh? Thanks
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
  • SeeWeed
    SeeWeed Posts: 86 Forumite
    spookycat wrote:
    HOW!? How do you do it? Where and what do you buy?
    We generally do get most things from a local Sainsbury's, but won't buy it unless it was produced in the UK, at a push I can cope with Europe, but won't buy from America's or Asia etc.
    This year we started an allotment (org) and hopefully will have it up and fully running by next years crop.
    We eat meat about 2-3 times a week, but do not buy a whole chicken for instance, which I understand would be more cost effective. What meals do you cook with a whole chicken?
    We tried a box scheme but ended up throwing more food away than made this viable. We do decide what meals to have every week and shop accordingly but the weekly groceries are still between 60-80 quid. I live near Newcastle and have searched for local farms but there are none near that are organic, ultimately the reason for the allotment.
    Do you mind if I ask what you spend your money on?

I buy most of my fruit, veg and meat locally from farm shops or the market. You will find you get much more value for money this way, and the taste is much better in my opinion.
    If the organic version is a lot more money (especially meat) then I won't buy it simply because I can't afford to, but I would look for alternatives so instead of buying a premium cut of beef I will buy brisket and slow cook it instead.
    Box schemes are great if you have no alternative but you need to use everything for it to be cost effective, try planning your meals around the contents of the box to eliminate wastage and if all else fails make soup!
    I posted a menu plan a few days ago (sorry not sure how to do links!) that will show you a typical menu for us.

HTH

SW
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No. 133
    Debt Free Date August 2014 :j
    The £2.00 Coin Savers Club = £22.00
  • wizzkid_3
    wizzkid_3 Posts: 115 Forumite
    I noticed yesterday that Aldi had started to sell organic!

Carrots
    Tomatoes
    Bananas
    Pasta
    Rice
    coffee

Maybe more, this was just what I noticed. I had already bought my veg for the week so I just bought some carrots to show willing. I will be in there next week to stock up.
  • thriftlady_2
    Sarahsaver wrote:

Will post the 'italian week' later if you want;)
    Oh yes please;) Love your plan, thanks:T

Do you make the naan and poppadoms Sarah?
    I like the idea of themed weeks, I might try that. We're having fish curry tonight actually and keema curry later in the week, so maybe I'll go Indian for the whole week.

I like the fact that you don't pander to dislikes too much. I try too hard to cook things I know everyone will eat and that are nutritionally balanced, but they won't become malnourished if they only eat the bread and rice once in a while will they? It's the overall long-term diet that is important.

I've had organic veggie boxes in the past and I've loved them,but Seaweed is right they are not cost effective if you have to chuck stuff. I didn't like the fact that quite a lot of the fruit and some of the veg was from a long way away. I make local a priority and always keep the freezer stocked with peas and sweetcorn;) (yes I know the sweetcorn is from Canada, but I do my best;) )
  • greentomato
    greentomato Posts: 130 Forumite
    I try and buy as much organic as possible but within reason, if it is twice as expensive then I decide its just not worth it. I have a 9 month old baby and she has practically everything organic. I guess that I spend about £70 per week for the 3 of us.

I do get a veg box and find this is a lot cheaper than the supermarket veg, plus I know that it won't have come from halfway across the world like most of the supermarket organic stuff. I use Riverford, they make a point of stating where their produce has come from, preferably from the UK but otherwise from Europe (or we'd be eating turnips and carrots all year!) and definitely nothing further than that. Also their website tells you what you are likely to get in your box each week and you can change it, or order different vegetables. I find it very efficient. Once I've got the box I plan the week's meals around it and then go shopping for everything else I need.

I am thinking of doing a bulk order for dry goods from Infinity Foods. http://www.infinityfoods.co.uk/ (look under Wholesale)
    You have to spend a minimum of £150 or £200 (depending on where you live), but it might work out cheaper doing this once every couple of months than buying it all from a supermarket. I am thinking of getting together with some neighbours and placing an order together, so that I don't have to spend that much.

When I am in Sainsburys I always look out for organic meat reduced and put it in the freezer. I got a massive organic chicken for £3 the other week!
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I make the naan usually, the poppodoms are from the indian shop 40p for a pack of about 20 or so dry ones.
    Sent dd to the shop yesterday though to 'bargain hunt' and she got 3 naans for 99p, so i was v pleased with her :)
    She did try cabbage on sunday and will eat it again now she knows it gives her the smelliest farts :rolleyes:
    I also have some hm pumpkin chutney lurking in the fridge which may put in an appearace later.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • thriftlady_2
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    She did try cabbage on sunday and will eat it again now she knows it gives her the smelliest farts :rolleyes:
    :rotfl: That might be the way to get my lot (inc OH) to eat cabbage:rotfl:
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't know if it's because the veg is organic but it all seems to be more 'potent' I have never had wee that red before just from eating a couple of beetroot. Something to beware of if you are embarking on organic veg!
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts