Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    vangirl
    Can someone help me with a Mac problem please
    • 12th Apr 10, 10:30 PM
    Can someone help me with a Mac problem please 12th Apr 10 at 10:30 PM
    A friend of mine has a problem with her Mac OS, model number A1181 , if anyone could help that would be great thanks.

She was just working on her assignments and it went off. When she turned it back on all that came up was a ? .. Tried that a few times and now when we start it up it is just a blank screen. We dont have the original disc that came with it but am sure her work is still on the HD.

Is there any way to get the HD to boot without the disc?

She really needs the work by Monday so any advice would be great thanks.
    Last edited by vangirl; 12-04-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Page 1
  • Marty J
    • 12th Apr 10, 10:47 PM
    • 12th Apr 10, 10:47 PM
    Try holding down the X key while starting up.
    • Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 12th Apr 10, 10:50 PM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    • 12th Apr 10, 10:50 PM
    • 12th Apr 10, 10:50 PM
    Originally posted by Marty J
    Trying that now but nothing is happening. There is just a blank screen
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints - the sinners are much more fun

• Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 13th Apr 10, 6:32 AM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    • 13th Apr 10, 6:32 AM
    • 13th Apr 10, 6:32 AM
    If anybody could help with this you would be a life saver. Daughter has 3 assignments on there that have to be in by Monday.
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints - the sinners are much more fun

• jack spratt
    • 13th Apr 10, 6:49 AM
    • 13th Apr 10, 6:49 AM
    You could try http://www.macuser.co.uk/forum/ if you do not get a response from here or try http://forum.macformat.co.uk/
    • Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 13th Apr 10, 6:57 AM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    • 13th Apr 10, 6:57 AM
    • 13th Apr 10, 6:57 AM
    Thanks for that Jack . Getting towards desperate measures now. If I had the installation disc would be so much easier!!

• Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 13th Apr 10, 1:09 PM
    • 25,148 Posts
    • 29,391 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    • 13th Apr 10, 1:09 PM
    • 13th Apr 10, 1:09 PM
    Bit off topic but ... get your daughter to contact her tutors ASAP, these things do happen and the later you inform your tutors the worse it looks. If you sort it by Monday she can hand in as normal, if not with evidence she should be able to get an extension on the work.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Marty J
    • 13th Apr 10, 1:16 PM
    • 13th Apr 10, 1:16 PM
    Hold T while starting up. This puts the Mac in Target Disk Mode, essentially making it a really expensive external harddrive.

Then, connect it to another computer with a FireWire cable. If the computer you're connecting it to is a Mac, you can just plug it in, and the hard drive in it will pop up on the desktop. If it's a PC, you'll need to install a trial of MacDrive to be able to access the data. Once you've got everything off the sickly Mac's hard drive, buy yourself a copy of Snow Leopard (20 on Amazon) and reinstall everything
    • Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 13th Apr 10, 2:00 PM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    • 13th Apr 10, 2:00 PM
    • 13th Apr 10, 2:00 PM
    Bit off topic but ... get your daughter to contact her tutors ASAP, these things do happen and the later you inform your tutors the worse it looks. If you sort it by Monday she can hand in as normal, if not with evidence she should be able to get an extension on the work.
    Originally posted by Fire Fox
    This did cross my mind tbh but on speaking with my daughter this morning she has said that only one of them has to be in by Monday, one by Wednesday and the other by April 30th but, as she had completed them, wanted to hand them all in together. She is spending all day today redoing the one that has to be in by Monday and hopefully can get the files off the HD this evening for the others.

Hold T while starting up. This puts the Mac in Target Disk Mode, essentially making it a really expensive external harddrive.

Then, connect it to another computer with a FireWire cable. If the computer you're connecting it to is a Mac, you can just plug it in, and the hard drive in it will pop up on the desktop. If it's a PC, you'll need to install a trial of MacDrive to be able to access the data. Once you've got everything off the sickly Mac's hard drive, buy yourself a copy of Snow Leopard (20 on Amazon) and reinstall everything
    I have taken the HD out of the Mac and attached it to my laptop with USB to SATA/IDE cable - is this essentially the same as above? Have downloaded MacDrive and the HD is showing up on my laptop but don't seem able to extract the files. Could it be that the HD is failing? Have read that I may have to install software called GetDataBack to help with this - Does this sound right to you?
    Thanks for your help

• Scrilla
    • By Scrilla 13th Apr 10, 6:00 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Scrilla
    Trying that now but nothing is happening. There is just a blank screen
    Originally posted by Poppytime
    This may not work since you've tried the "X" option, but try holding down Shift while starting up. This will take longer to boot (if it boots at all).

I have taken the HD out of the Mac and attached it to my laptop with USB to SATA/IDE cable - is this essentially the same as above? Have downloaded MacDrive and the HD is showing up on my laptop but don't seem able to extract the files. Could it be that the HD is failing? Have read that I may have to install software called GetDataBack to help with this - Does this sound right to you?
    Thanks for your help
    Yes, the procedure is similar in effect. I have no experience with MacDrive, so I will leave Marty J to help you with that.
    Last edited by Scrilla; 13-04-2010 at 6:03 PM. Reason: Addition
  • gaming_guy
    Last edited by gaming_guy; 12-06-2012 at 10:02 AM.
  • jack spratt
    Just an idea if have you a apple store in your area !! you can book an appointment with them free of charge and I am sure they would give you advice and point you in the right direction !!
    I think they would be sympathetic to your situation
  • Marty J
    Thanks for your help
    Yes, its pretty much the same thing. Mac Drive allows Windows to mount the HFS+ file system the Mac uses.

What happens when you try to copy a file?
    • Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 14th Apr 10, 6:41 AM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions but nothing is making it work

The two recovery programmes I have used are not recognising any files and
    Marty - when I try to find HD with Macdrive it is just not recognising it as being there at all.

• Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 16th Apr 10, 7:39 AM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    Just to update you .... Took the HD to the Apple IT department but they were unable to recover the files as the HD had failed. They have, however, fitted a new HD under Apples 'Extended Repair Programme'. Thanks to all for suggestions that were given

• jack spratt
    'Extended Repair Programme"

Could you explain what this is??

Is it an extended warranty you have taken out or is it a goodwill action from apple

Thanks
    • Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 16th Apr 10, 9:23 AM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    'Extended Repair Programme"

Could you explain what this is??

Is it an extended warranty you have taken out or is it a goodwill action from apple

Thanks
    Originally posted by jack spratt
    From what I can gather there is a known fault with DD's model which wasn't exactly 'said' but intimated and a goodwill action from Apple. I have to say I cannot fault their service but am a bit peeved that they did not return the old HD

• Leopard

From what I can gather there is a known fault with DD's model which wasn't exactly 'said' but intimated and a goodwill action from Apple. I have to say I cannot fault their service but am a bit peeved that they did not return the old HD
    I've only just come across this thread (have been abroad) but – for the benefit of anyone else who experiences this problem – these symptoms on a Mac are usually indicative of a faulty hard drive.

When a Mac displays a question-mark symbol, it's saying that it can't find a working version of Mac OS from which to boot.

If its internal hard drive dies, you get the blank screen.

Apple type number A1181 is a general one for all MacBooks prior to the 2009 Unibody versions.

There's a known problem with the hard drives of those produced from its inception, in May 2006, until November 2007, which Apple has acknowledged publicly and for which it operates a free replacement scheme. See here.

I'd imagine that Apple did not return the faulty drive because an innocent-looking but defective hard drive is an unwise thing to leave lying around, because the data on it could not be retrieved and because it could not imagine anyone would be stupid enough not to back up safely the data on their laptop.
    • Poppytime
    • By Poppytime 16th Apr 10, 11:52 AM
    • 8,348 Posts
    • 29,208 Thanks
    Poppytime
    I'd imagine that Apple did not return the faulty drive because an innocent-looking but defective hard drive is an unwise thing to leave lying around, because the data on it could not be retrieved and because it could not imagine anyone would be stupid enough not to back up safely the data on their laptop.
    Originally posted by Leopard
    A defective hard drive may be an unwise thing to leave lying around but contrary to what you say there are ways and means for the data to be retrieved and I would prefer the item to be in my possession where I would deem it to be safest.

As to your comment as to anybody being stupid enough not to back up their data .... hey ho, what it must be like to be perfect eh?

• terryf
    • By terryf 15th Jun 10, 10:27 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    terryf
    You should seriously consider getting a suitable external drive and use the Apple Time Machine program to get an hourly backup of your work while-ever you have your machine on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

787Posts Today

6,485Users online

Martin's Twitter