Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 6th Apr 10, 10:32 PM
    • 7,366Posts
    • 9,354Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Lucifa's (Ac)counting the pennies DFW diary
    • 6th Apr 10, 10:32 PM
    Lucifa's (Ac)counting the pennies DFW diary 6th Apr 10 at 10:32 PM
    Hi there. Me again

So why the new diary? Well after 14months of being unemployed (8 months of which had been planned as maternity leave...) I have, today, been offered a job. Pretty good timing as JSA was about to run out mid May and the redundancy pot is pretty much empty.... Talk about cutting it fine!!!

Anyways, I start work in 12 days time (those who don't already know will soon learn I don't hang about once a decision is taken), which means there is not much time to get done things that need to be got done...

I need to compile a to do list, sort out a budget and get back on the fast track to being debt free.

When I first had a true LBM in early 2008 I owed nearly 8,000 and by Jan 2009 had reduced the debt to 4,482 and was well on track for being all but debt free by now but Fate dealt a blow in the form of redundancy. Between making up small monthly shortfalls and some optimistic/comfort spending my debt has gradually risen again. I haven't got a precise total but I know I owe roughly 7,000. Not quite back to square one, but not great either.

The debt is made up of four balances :

Santander loan : 1,400
    Egg Mastercard : 2,200
    Tesco Mastercard : 2,000
    HBoS o/draft : 1,400

The loan is fixed term and will be paid off in December this year. The most expensive is the overdraft which will be tackled first and foremost. I can't believe a year ago it was all but clear

Personal budget looks something like this:

Income 1,900

Joint account (1,000)
    A&L loan (156)
    Mobile phone (20)
    Tesco card (60)
    Egg card (40)
    Contacts (20)
    Cat insurance (14)
    Overdraft (200)
    Commute (90)
    Spends (100)

BALANCE 327

The surplus will be chucked at debt for the most part and I will put away some for Xmas/holiday and goodies.

So onwards and upwards then I guess
    Last edited by Lucifa73; 07-04-2010 at 9:40 PM.
    Tesco CC 020718: 3502.86/030718: 3348.02 0.14%
    Surveys cashed 4.84/cleared 24.17/pending 4.87... (plus 500 YouGov points...)
    Don't give in; Don't you dare quit so easy
    Give all; That you got on the soul
    Snow Patrol. 'Don't give in'. 21.3.18
Page 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 55,520 Posts
    • 222,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Friday
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 25th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Thanks Beanie lol. Hope you are keeping well x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 25th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 55,520 Posts
    • 222,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am plodding on thanks x

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 2nd May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Oh man - that was truly a weekend of 2 halves. Friday and Saturday were GREAT. Loved having my free day on Friday. I got a tonne of niggly household jobs done in the morning. The afternoon was pure 'me' time. I had a wee snooze and then made my Mum's birthday present - a hand bound notebook. She loves all things stationery almost as much as I do. So that, a fountain pen and a pot of ink are this year's gifts

Saturday was an expensive day. My brother's wedding is looming large on the horizon so we took N & C to get measured for kilts... Let's just say I am glad Hubbles has his own or we'd be looking at around 300 quid! We're cutting the wedding spends back by travelling up North the morning of rather than the night before as originally planned and I will be making do with some old rags from the back of my wardrobe...

Then to the other half of the weekend. Felt kind of dodgy on Sunday and was hit with the mother of all migraines when I woke on Monday morning (having suffered the usual pre-migraine nightmares). Two days off work which I can ill afford (in terms of workload - no financial impact thankfully) and today I merely have a stonking headache. Pretty sure staring at a screen all day is not helpful but the job needs doing as the govt are quite strict about things like filing deadlines...

On the plus side, that is 2 total NSDs, plus I lost a kilo. Missed a couple of Insanity sessions but will pick up and continue - just coming up to the halfway mark and I feel so much better for the exercise

Anyways, enough of my waffle. Time to get back to the day job.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 2nd May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    An extra day off is lovely! That's good you have managed to keep the same hours as well. I went part time at the beginning of the year and am loving the 3 days off a week, but I wish I could do longer shifts to make up for it.

Sorry about the migraine, it sounds truly horrible Glad you're looking on the positives though! A kilo and 2 NSD's sounds pretty good!
    Total Debt: 625 / 7266.93
    Outstanding Debt: Virgin CC 625
    Weight Loss:16.9kg/ 45kg
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 3rd May 18, 5:17 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Pay day tomorrow and a day off (switched from Monday to cover school being closed for inset, Hubbles is doing childcare on Monday - roll on 28th May when we get a day off TOGETHER (and with no kids...)).

Have failed so far on the cash book front but I shall get it sorted this weekend. Shall also food plan for the month (roughly) so we can buy the non-perishable stuff in one trip and only need perishables each week. I will regain control of the food bill.

Have a fabulous holiday weekend if I don't see you in the meantime xxx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 55,520 Posts
    • 222,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy pay day.
    Enjoy your weekend

***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 8th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    How am I supposed to save money with my 2 boys sprouting like weeds??? C is currently a bottomless pit and at 5 years old is filling out age 6-7 school shorts whilst N just keeps getting taller. I tried to persuade him into shorts but he wants long trousers and his current ones flash more ankle than they should. Hopefully any new ones will get him through to the October holidays but I shan't be holding my breathe!

Other than that spending is v. controlled. (Other than forgetting my smart card yesterday and having to pay for the train to work. I also left my purse at home - Apple Pay to the rescue!

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Have all that I need to make lunches for the week - healthy and frugal. Just wish OH would occasionally take turn at doing the prep so I don't have to stand and do it after work. I could rant bit it changes nothing so I shall just keep plodding.

In terms of the Insanity agenda, I've hit the 'recovery' week ahead of going 'max' from Saturday. Its kill or cure time!
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th May 18, 8:39 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I've just looked into Insanity and I'm sweating just watching videos of people Maybe one day I'll be fit enough to give it a go!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 55,520 Posts
    • 222,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    The joys of growing boys and their clothes

***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th May 18, 1:59 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Obviously need to work on the keeping a diary habit...

Not much to report at the moment. Been enjoying the sun (who else loves putting laundry on the line.. no.. just me then.... )

Payday next week is also bonus pay - looking to get a hefty pay packet (though not as good as last year thanks to a couple of average business metrics ) so savings will get topped up and CC will get a sizeable chunk taken out of it.

In other news. I have a job interview tomorrow - sorry - an 'informal introductory meeting over coffee'. This could be huge so please send positive thoughts out to the universe between 8 and 10 tomorrow morning...

Laters! L
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 8,442 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Right I have Ale, mead and a sacrificial goat at the ready (virgins are scare these days, ye know).

Off to the stones to make offering for ya...

Seriously though, will be thinking of you and will indeed have a word on your behalf
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th May 18, 3:13 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    I can well imagine a goat is easier to find these days. and totally appreciate the effort.

Anyone got any thoughts on appropriate attire for these 'informal introductory meeting over coffee' type things? I know I have got what the role takes and I interview well (so I've been told) but the etiquette is just too stressful
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 8,442 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    As someone who hires, I do like to see someone who can present themselves well and to be able to see the "real person" IYKWIM
    I would suggest smart / casual as for an informal stylee interview.

I recently hired a great young fella who came to his interview wearing a RATM tour t-shirt and jeans
    OK, anyone else in my organisation would have thought WTF???
    However, his CV was great, as were his references (which I checked out) and he interviewed really well. Been with us over a week now and he is doing brilliantly.
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 17th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Not much to report at the moment. Been enjoying the sun (who else loves putting laundry on the line.. no.. just me then.... )
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    Nope - me too! I love pegging up some laundry I get quite bad hayfever and was reading about how to prevent it and apparently drying things on the line can exacerbate it (makes sense really I suppose ). I don't think it will deter me too much though, will just need to pop more antihistamines!

Will be sending positive vibes tomorrow! Was out looking for a sacrificial goat but seems Uncanny nabbed the last one

Keep us posted on how it goes!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • 55,520 Posts
    • 222,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Will send positive vibes your way.
    Smart trousers & & a nice blouse?

***Keep plodding***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 19th May 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 8,442 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hope all went well with your interview / meeting over a coffee
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 24th May 18, 5:12 PM
    • 7,366 Posts
    • 9,354 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Thanks for the well wished and ritual offerings. They must have worked as I have progressed to the formal stage next week, day yet to be confirmed.

I work in a more 'traditional' industry and I fear I would bring on an attack of the vapours if I turned up in my civvies

On a money front, bonus and 'pay rise' have been confirmed. The bonus is a hefty chunk which is nice but the pay rise is in fact a pay cut when you factor in inflation and the hike in income tax rates in Scotland. Not impressed, particularly when I consider the hours and effort put in, including working on after hearing of the passing of a grandparent..

The bonus will
    • top up savings
    • pay 50% of the family holiday in the sun this summer
    • buy a gadget-type treat
    • pay off a chunk of credit card
    The cash increase in monthly pay will go straight to the credit card. Should have it cleared by early 2019 if nothing else changes, earlier if the job change pans out.

Sad today - my grandparents' ashes were committed this morning and it still hurts to have los them

Think that is all for now.

P.S.
    There's a heat wave predicted AND I have my Friday off tomorrow AND a Bank Holiday Monday. When I return I shall hopefully be a little less pallid and a LOT more rested.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 55,520 Posts
    • 222,898 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the next stage
    Enjoy your long weekend.

***Keep plodding***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 30th May 18, 11:06 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 8,442 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Great news on the progression to next stage
    Guessing your "civvies" are kinda alternative

Keep us posted on how things go (let me know if you need another goat )

I have had similar result on salary this year - got a raise and then the changes in taxation and then Pension contribution increases wiped it out and my take home is now less (ok, it's like 20p, but still, it is less...)

Hope you enjoyed the bank holiday weekend, weather is fantastic isn't it? I'm going to be going away into the wilds again this weekend
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,809Posts Today

7,016Users online

Martin's Twitter