Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 6th Apr 10, 10:32 PM
    • 7,318Posts
    • 9,158Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Lucifa's (Ac)counting the pennies DFW diary
    • 6th Apr 10, 10:32 PM
    Lucifa's (Ac)counting the pennies DFW diary 6th Apr 10 at 10:32 PM
    Hi there. Me again

So why the new diary? Well after 14months of being unemployed (8 months of which had been planned as maternity leave...) I have, today, been offered a job. Pretty good timing as JSA was about to run out mid May and the redundancy pot is pretty much empty.... Talk about cutting it fine!!!

Anyways, I start work in 12 days time (those who don't already know will soon learn I don't hang about once a decision is taken), which means there is not much time to get done things that need to be got done...

I need to compile a to do list, sort out a budget and get back on the fast track to being debt free.

When I first had a true LBM in early 2008 I owed nearly 8,000 and by Jan 2009 had reduced the debt to 4,482 and was well on track for being all but debt free by now but Fate dealt a blow in the form of redundancy. Between making up small monthly shortfalls and some optimistic/comfort spending my debt has gradually risen again. I haven't got a precise total but I know I owe roughly 7,000. Not quite back to square one, but not great either.

The debt is made up of four balances :

Santander loan : 1,400
    Egg Mastercard : 2,200
    Tesco Mastercard : 2,000
    HBoS o/draft : 1,400

The loan is fixed term and will be paid off in December this year. The most expensive is the overdraft which will be tackled first and foremost. I can't believe a year ago it was all but clear

Personal budget looks something like this:

Income 1,900

Joint account (1,000)
    A&L loan (156)
    Mobile phone (20)
    Tesco card (60)
    Egg card (40)
    Contacts (20)
    Cat insurance (14)
    Overdraft (200)
    Commute (90)
    Spends (100)

BALANCE 327

The surplus will be chucked at debt for the most part and I will put away some for Xmas/holiday and goodies.

So onwards and upwards then I guess
    Last edited by Lucifa73; 07-04-2010 at 9:40 PM.
    Don't give in; Don't you dare quit so easy
    Give all; That you got on the soul
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    Snow Patrol. 'Don't give in'. 21.3.18
Page 8
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 30th Nov 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 7,955 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks

Have just read through yours too
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 54,111 Posts
    • 214,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Fancy seeing you here
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 1st Dec 17, 9:34 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Hi Beanie! I've been snooping around seeing what's what - so many new face! Looking forward to easing back into things!

Hope you are keeping well and DS is taking care of you properly!
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Dec 17, 9:38 PM
    • 54,111 Posts
    • 214,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hi Beanie! I've been snooping around seeing what's what - so many new face! Looking forward to easing back into things!

Hope you are keeping well and DS is taking care of you properly!
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    DS & GF of 5 years are all grown up & living in a flat
    That is scary~~I feel old

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 1st Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    So what do I need to know that wasn't around a few years ago? Actually how long have I been away? Was DS2 with us? I seem to think not and he is now 5

I see there is no longer a Daily Chat so what goes on for entertainment around here? Have to admit, I feel like a bit of a snooper/stalker checking out random diaries
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 2nd Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 6,851 Posts
    • 43,333 Thanks
    Pooky
    Welcome back - hadn!!!8217;t realised you!!!8217;d had another DS so congrats (5 years late but hey!)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 2nd Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 7,955 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning

I've been on forum since April this year so the Daily Chat stuff must have been long gone by then...

Generally, I am on the forum most days, as like others I feel it helps keep me focused and accountable IYKWIM
    Snooping and stalking folks Diaries? Oh no, that's just visiting friends and catching up on the goss on here
    Everyone has their favourites / friends Diaries that we subscribe to for e-mail notification of updates. It's nice to keep up with how everyone is doing.

I don't know what it was like when you were last on but it is a great and friendly community of good folks who look out for each other and provide advice, support, kick up the backside as/when necessary.

So just knock on the diary door as it were, read, comment and re-join the community. You'll soon get back into the swing of it and you're always welcome to visit my diary, I've subscribed to yours
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 54,111 Posts
    • 214,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Daily chat has very long gone.
    Oh they were the days the friends.............
    I certainly knew about DS 2
    Scary that the boys are so grown up.
    But then look at Pooky & i

***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Seems it might take a bit of discipline to get back in the swing of DFW and posting up.

So where am I now? Married, 2 children, lovely new house, wee bit of CC debt, well paid , relatively secure job. The CC debt should be a no-brainer to deal with.

I do have one small issue though... I had a problem where our utility provider set up our dual fuel incorrectly which meant I thought I was paying gas and electric but they were applying the payment to a gas only account. LOTS of calls later (and a threat to put in a meter...) and I have a default on my record which is causing problems getting a new phone. A niggle not a disaster for sure right now, but what happens when its time to re-mortgage???? Given I WAS paying (and in fact they transferred the huge credit I'd built up once they finally set up an electric account) can I ask for the default to be removed?

Things to do:
    -update budget spread sheet (waiting for pay rise confirmation...)
    -set monthly DD based on free cash in budget to pay off Tesco Card
    -set NSD challenge
    -sweep unspent cash against CC until cleared
    -once card cleared set SO for same amount to savings

Any other thoughts would be gratefully received
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 7,955 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hello stranger

I'm guessing at Sco Pow as provider... worst quality and service record for a supplier... allegedly...
    Anyhoo, definite grounds to have the default removed I would think as it is clear that the error was theirs; they did not appropriate the payments which were correctly paid to the correct accounts. Which created a huge credit on one and a deficit in the other. Complain to them until it is removed... threaten em with the ombudsman...

Nice to see you posting again btw
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Apr 18, 4:57 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Hi Uncanny - just been catching up on your diary. Pre-Xmas to now - great stuff!

Hoping to be around more. Things are not dire but need to refocus to blitz a wee bit of CC debt so we can relax and enjoy what we have worked so hard to achieve!
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 54,111 Posts
    • 214,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hi Uncanny - just been catching up on your diary. Pre-Xmas to now - great stuff!

Hoping to be around more. Things are not dire but need to refocus to blitz a wee bit of CC debt so we can relax and enjoy what we have worked so hard to achieve!
    Originally posted by Lucifa73
    Sounds like a plan

***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 19th Apr 18, 1:59 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Actions taken so far:
    • joined 5p savers
    • joined 50p savers
    Baby steps right???

TO DO:
    • Check CC balance and add to signature.
    • Add trackers to journal for 5p and 50p challenges.
    • Update sadly neglected budget spread sheet and take control.
    • Cross fingers for a pay rise higher than inflation...
    Might be back later for a blether/down load...
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 54,111 Posts
    • 214,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps are always good
    Keep plodding!

***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 20th Apr 18, 9:16 AM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Finally a really bright and beautiful spring day. Think it is the first day I've not had to wear boots, jeans and jumper in about 6 months!!!! Certainly feels like it anyway.

Today's tasks are to update the budget tracker, which has been neglected for a couple of months, and create a cash book. I often draw cash to cover things like cups of tea and kids lunches at school but fritter it away and I seem to burn through 20 at an alarming rate! I want to keep a good old fashioned cash book for a month or two so I can get to grips with where the cash is disappearing to and take control.

Feeling pretty good about life at the moment. Reckon it is a combination of the sun, a decent night's sleep and starting to reap the benefit of doing a round of Insanity.
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 54,111 Posts
    • 214,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Insanity Lies in a darkened room

***Keep plodding***
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 21st Apr 18, 7:06 AM
    • 6,851 Posts
    • 43,333 Thanks
    Pooky
    Insanity is the right name for it! Nice to see you back Luc!

It was still 20 degrees here at 9pm last night, spring had obviously hit puberty early....along we are set to be back to 10/11 degrees next week so my boots are still staying near the front.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 23rd Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Morning all! Had a mostly great weekend. The boys had a blast (literally) at a laser tag party with their friends, the sun shone, laundry was done and the Hubbles even managed a game of golf. I kept up with my exercise and diet goals and have started hoarding 5ps and 50ps like some kind of lunatic.

I have investigated the budget. We are spending DOUBLE our grocery and eating out allowance need to get back to meal planning pronto. It benefits my waistline as well as our bank balance...

Thanks for dropping by Beanie and Pooky - yes it is aptly named but somehow I love it (what does that tell you about me ...?) and 5am starts are no problem at all. Hubbles wanted to know where his wife has gone after I woke him on Sunday with brekkie on a tray - perfectly poached eggs and bacon on toast, having already completed a workout, fed the kids, done the dishwasher and laundry AND hoovered.
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 54,111 Posts
    • 214,637 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a good weekend

***Keep plodding***
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 25th Apr 18, 3:47 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Another baby step taken today - finally remembered to bring teabags in to the office. I have AT LEAST 3 mugs of tea a day. By using my own teabags I will be saving 10 a week, - its the little frittering things that catch me out every time...

Feeling quite tired today so looking forward to Friday. I recently condensed my working hours to work a fortnight's hours in 9 days, meaning I get every second Friday off without losing any pay. Also, as I was working back a bit to get a quieter train home I'm not actually in the office any longer than before so I feel like I am getting a day off at no cost. This Friday is my first free day. I keep coming up with ideas of what I want to do - looking at my list I need about 40 hours in a day...
    Don't say
    That you want it forever
    I know, I know
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,358Posts Today

6,065Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin