Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • travellingbum
    • By travellingbum 7th Apr 10, 12:11 PM
    • 20,762 Posts
    • 50,747 Thanks
    travellingbum
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:11 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:11 PM
    With Ryanair nothing surprises me! After initially charging a flat fee for using the toilet, Mr O'Leary will probably carry this idea further:

Having a pee: 1
    Having a poo: 2.
    Having sex: 10 (slightly larger cubicle will be provided for this option).

These are walk-in prices.; people pre-booking online will get a 50% discount.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 7th Apr 10, 12:26 PM
    • 18,965 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    richardw
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:26 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:26 PM
    Merge threads perhaps http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2387355
    • richardw
    • By richardw 7th Apr 10, 12:28 PM
    • 18,965 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    richardw
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:28 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:28 PM
    Since it is about money saving http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=portable+urinal&scoring=p
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 7th Apr 10, 12:30 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:30 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:30 PM
    Daniel Lawrence, MoneySavingExpert consumer products analyst, says: "The extra baggage charge and possible toilet fees are the latest in a long line of Ryanair costs which are not immediately obvious at the booking stage.

Come on then Dan? Which fees aren't obvious before somebody punches their card number into their PC?

It costs to use the toilet at rail stations across the country - where is the critical blog post about Network Rail?
    • westv
    • By westv 7th Apr 10, 12:54 PM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    westv
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:54 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 12:54 PM
    It costs to use the toilet at rail stations across the country - where is the critical blog post about Network Rail?
    Originally posted by whatmichaelsays
    Not everywhere it doesn't and where they do charge there's often an alternative.

Are these extra fees a way for Ryan Air to make more profit or will they mean lower fares?
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 7th Apr 10, 1:28 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    • 7th Apr 10, 1:28 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 1:28 PM
    westv, sadly I suspect the latter.

Originally posted by whatmichaelsays
    Not in all railway stations, but then again some train station loos are so hideous you'd have to pay me to use them...

And besides the most I've ever seen charged for the loo at a train station is 30p (Euston/Charing Cross). What gives Michael O'Leary the right to charge three times as much?
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 7th Apr 10, 2:13 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    • 7th Apr 10, 2:13 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 2:13 PM
    What gives Michael O'Leary the right to charge three times as much?
    Originally posted by minerva_windsong
    That fact that it is his plane?
  • forumfan
    • 7th Apr 10, 3:16 PM
    • 7th Apr 10, 3:16 PM
    I think some people have a very short memory. I can remember the days before the likes of Ryanair where many of us simply couldn't afford to fly to places as close as Ireland because it was so expensive.

They are entitled to charge whatever they want just as you are entitled to travel with whoever you want but in my experience they still tend to be cheaper even with the add ons
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 7th Apr 10, 3:25 PM
    • 13,027 Posts
    • 8,951 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    What? Ryanair offer in-flight toilets? Talk about indulging the punters. In any case, their seats are so cramped that it would not be at all easy to get to the toilet. And guess what: both before and after the short flight, you are in an airport where these facilities are freely available.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 7th Apr 10, 3:29 PM
    • 18,965 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    richardw
    both before and after the short flight, you are in an airport where these facilities are freely available.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Until the airport stops them being free to passengers or increases its charges to ryanair.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 7th Apr 10, 3:36 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 12,472 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Good points forumfan.
    I chose not to fly Ryanair for many reasons, but it is a valid point that consumers do not get to chose the pricing model but they can chose to take their business elsewhere.

Low cost airlines have afforded opportunities to many who would otherwise have been unable to travel.
    I much prefer the services of Easyjet myself who have highly equipped planes and bigger seats, but hey that's a choice and others may not agree.
    • whatmichaelsays
    • By whatmichaelsays 7th Apr 10, 3:52 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 5,255 Thanks
    whatmichaelsays
    I think some people have a very short memory. I can remember the days before the likes of Ryanair where many of us simply couldn't afford to fly to places as close as Ireland because it was so expensive.

They are entitled to charge whatever they want just as you are entitled to travel with whoever you want but in my experience they still tend to be cheaper even with the add ons
    Originally posted by forumfan
    Couldn't agree more.

I'm due to fly to Dublin on business in a few weeks. Only a few years ago, that would involve a journey from Leeds to Manchester, picking up one of two outbound Aer Lingus flights to Dublin that day (most likely an anti-social morning flight), having to take an antisocially late flight back to Manchester before fighting my way back across the M62 to Leeds late in the evening / night. For that privilege I'd paying as near as dammit 300 for a return ticket (or rather, the client would be paying) - that's a hell of a lot of checked bags and toilet breaks.

Thanks to Ryanair, I've got a choice of three flights a day from my local airport, a punctual service and relatively good flight times on one of the most modern aircraft fleets in Europe. As for the fares, they aren't comparable, even if I'm booking late in the day. Our travel costs (and ultimately, the costs that we pass onto the client) have reduced massively thanks in no small part to Ryanair.

On that basis, there really is no faulting them as far as I am concerned.
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 7th Apr 10, 4:20 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    MarkBargain
    Isn't there a law requiring that planes provide free toilets as food and drink is served on board, a bit like cafes and restaurants?

The article states planes will need to reduce from three toilets to one. What happens if a passenger is in the one toilet a long time? All other passengers cannot go?! What about if someone really needs to? I dread to think!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 7th Apr 10, 4:46 PM
    • 24,060 Posts
    • 12,472 Thanks
    lisyloo
    What happens if a passenger is in the one toilet a long time?
    I'm sure they must have the ability to open the door from the outside in an emergency.
    However this is surely no different to being in a cafe with one toilet.
    You don't leave it to the last minute.
    Especially on a plane where the seat belt signs can come on.

In a bad turbulence situation (like a cyclone) they would NOT let you leave your seat.
    If that means you have to wet your pants then so be it.
    Sorry to put it so bluntly but in their view that's better than you hitting the ceiling and breaking your neck.

But in general a little planning is all that is needed so you are not busting when the seat belt signs come on.
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 7th Apr 10, 4:50 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    Isn't there a law requiring that planes provide free toilets as food and drink is served on board, a bit like cafes and restaurants?

The article states planes will need to reduce from three toilets to one. What happens if a passenger is in the one toilet a long time? All other passengers cannot go?! What about if someone really needs to? I dread to think!
    Originally posted by MarkBargain
    Many people take their own sandwiches on board. No doubt the next step will to bring your own bucket. Have a thought for the cabin crew when they come to collect waste before touch down.
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 7th Apr 10, 5:54 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    MarkBargain
    However this is surely no different to being in a cafe with one toilet.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    The difference between a plane and a cafe is that a plane holds about 130 people, who cannot go until the plane has taken off and is cruising without turbulance, many whom will have been drinking at the airport. The Christmas episode of The Royle Family springs to mind.
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 7th Apr 10, 6:37 PM
    • 5,296 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    alanrowell
    Report from the NY Times that Ryanair is to ban checked luggage on some routes - presumably this is weekenders going to Berlin rather than people off for two weeks in Benidorm.

Haven't seen any other reports about it though
    • TBeckett100
    • By TBeckett100 7th Apr 10, 8:54 PM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 3,758 Thanks
    TBeckett100
    the toilet charge is a con. if they want more bums on seats just stop blocking off the first 4 rows on most flights.
  • poet123
    I flew with them yesterday and in the in flight mag it had an article stating that they were considering trialling "unlimited baggage " provided you could carry it to to the steps of the plane where it would then be directly loaded, and then you collected it after the flight in the same way. This would cut handling costs and avoid losses of bags.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,000Posts Today

5,905Users online

Martin's Twitter