Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 31st Mar 10, 10:54 PM
    • 4,089Posts
    • 11,491Thanks
    Bronnie
    No Buying Toiletries in April Challenge!
    • 31st Mar 10, 10:54 PM
    No Buying Toiletries in April Challenge! 31st Mar 10 at 10:54 PM
    This fab challenge was set up in January 2010 by katie clampett

Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, pefume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account.

Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months and are making great progress reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Come and join us for the month of April. The more the merrier!!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-04-2010 at 8:44 PM.
Page 1
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 31st Mar 10, 10:56 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    • 31st Mar 10, 10:56 PM
    • 31st Mar 10, 10:56 PM
    Welcome to all the newbies to the Challenge
    Regulars ignore this, but I thought a quick resume might be helpful for newbies;

Why not add the challenge to your sig as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!!

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible ( although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagently to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!)
    • Brand new products ( or opened perfume) sell well on ebay
    • Unsuitable products can be used for other jobs (shower gel/ shampoo as handwash etc)
    • Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt
    • Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts)
    • Unsuitable items can be donated to charity as mentioned earlier.
    It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Bodyshop, the supermarket toiletries aisles, grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there'll always be another deal!

Good luck all for April and remember to keep popping in for inspiration and support.
    Last edited by Bronnie; 01-04-2010 at 12:29 PM.
  • debidoodle
    • 31st Mar 10, 11:13 PM
    • 31st Mar 10, 11:13 PM
    Evening ladies

Thankyou Bronnie

Welcome all the newbies

Well done on the walking SA

Have used up the following

Tube of Balm Balm WIBA I don't think so as it was very greasy when you first applied it.

S & G body butter WIBA yes it was lovely and moisturising.

S & G heel genius WIBA yes smelt lovely & moisturising.

I am now going to finish a half opened tube of Burt's Bees coconut foot cream.

Hubby is using up all the tablets of soap that I have accumulated, only another 10 to go

We will need some mouthwash in the next week or so so will pick some up at the local supermarket, I will not go to Boots and therefore there will be no temptation.

As a little treat I opened my last bottle of Balance me shower gel which I am using sparingly on a shower scrubby.

off to bed now, am freezing & tired it is like winter again.

Bronnie totally agree regarding Ebay, have just withdrawn another 200.00 from my account, also I have made up birthday presents for friends & family from my stash.
    Last edited by debidoodle; 31-03-2010 at 11:17 PM.
  • trudij
    • 31st Mar 10, 11:20 PM
    • 31st Mar 10, 11:20 PM
    Its almost April - so HI newbies, GOOD LUCK everyone, and....

I will be throwing away the dregs of a night cream when I go up to bed in about 3/4 of an hour or so (so it will be April by then!) - so theres my first throw !!!

Cant remember the details,think it was a garnier one, but I wouldnt buy it again,not cos it was bad particually, but because Im completely converted to Benefit stuff !!! Ive had my face wash and moisturiser almost a month now and hardly made a dent into it !!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 1st Apr 10, 12:41 AM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 32,938 Thanks
    InaPickle
    • 1st Apr 10, 12:41 AM
    • 1st Apr 10, 12:41 AM
    *Shuffles in embarassedly carrying a post from the old thread which she just dumped into what she thought was the the new thread, only to be nudged along here by Bronnie*

*Dumps post and exhales loudly (well, it's getting very heavy now, and there has been a lot of lugging from pillar to post)*

Hi ladies, I have a toiletries-related question and you may just be the ones to anwer it for me...

I've been using Sunsilk shampoo and conditioner (mainly the blonde one and sometimes the purple one) for a fair while, but a month or two ago my hair went into a fairly horrible state, turning into a 'rat's nest' at the top with hair breaking near the root. I've never had that before, and summised that the bad weather we were having meant that the shampoo/conditioner I was using weren't suitable for the bad weather conditions. I then converted to Tresemme Deep Cleanse vitamin C shampoo (the one with the dark green stripe), which has been fabulous for the washing, and I have continued using up the conditioner as a) it didn't seem to pose much of a problem after changing the shampoo; b) I don't know what to use instead as it has been so long since I used a different one (and the Tresemme one hates my hair).

So here is the crux of my problem. I need to find a new conditoner as the other one doesn't aggrivate the problem at the roots, but isn't quite perfect, either. In case you need to know I have mousy brown hair which is quite thick, not oily or dry etc, and normally in very good condition. When I was a teenager I used to get an oily slick down part of the left hand side, but I don't any more (I don't think it would return due to an overly-oily product, but who knows?). I know it's a bit of a random question as everyone's hair is different, but I'm just hoping that someone out there reckons that my hair sounds about the same type as their own so I can get a good recommendation without having to buy ten bottle of rubbish conditioner before getting a good one.

FYI Herbal Essences is horribly in my hair, as if Tresemme conditioner (but the shampoo is great). I can't use Paul Mitchell any more as it not leaves my hair unmanageably soft.

Any recommendations, please? x
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 1st Apr 10, 12:44 AM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    • 1st Apr 10, 12:44 AM
    • 1st Apr 10, 12:44 AM
    Yay, Pickle!!!!!
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 1st Apr 10, 12:47 AM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    • 1st Apr 10, 12:47 AM
    • 1st Apr 10, 12:47 AM
    I've got to join this month...... plucks up courage!!!

I had a wack of toilettries for xmas, highly addicted to Boots xmas lines, and Body Shop,

Its that bad, that my stock of supplies - is about 3ft high by 3ft, (boxed and bagged), think there was 20 shower gels.

Over the weekend will count what I've got, but before that take a pic of the junk corner, so will shame me into tidying up and counting + not buying.

I WILL NOT GET DISTRACTED BY BODY SHOP EMAILS.....
    XX
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 1st Apr 10, 1:02 AM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 32,938 Thanks
    InaPickle
    • 1st Apr 10, 1:02 AM
    • 1st Apr 10, 1:02 AM
    Yay, Pickle!!!!!
    Originally posted by Bronnie
    It's only taken three threads and three attempts! *Insert rolly-eyed smiley here*
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P

• Kaz2904
    • By Kaz2904 1st Apr 10, 3:00 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 37,638 Thanks
    Kaz2904
    • 1st Apr 10, 3:00 AM
    • 1st Apr 10, 3:00 AM
    Ooh, nice shiny new thread. Lovely jubbly! Nothing used up yet this month but there will be by tonight
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT 92727.75 49395.47 43332.28 repaid 100.77% of 43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt 52856.59 6316.14 46540.45 repaid 101.17% of 46000 target.

2013 Target: completely clear my 6316.14 0 mortgage debt. 6316.14 100% repaid.
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 1st Apr 10, 8:06 AM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    Pickle have you done the stretch test on your hair to see whether you need moisture or protein from your conditioner?

I learned it from one of the lovely people here, and its almost eradicated bad hair days....

after take hair from the head , wet it, an gently stretch, then release...

if it doesn't shrink back you need protein, if i snaps you nee moisture...
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 1st Apr 10, 8:43 AM
    • 15,476 Posts
    • 197,785 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    morning all

ohh a shiny new thread to play with. hope everyone has a good month with lots of pampering and minimal spends

i will start on a good note and say i have used up
    a bottle of SJP Lovely perfume WIBA yes but i dont need to youngest DD brought me one for others day
    also used up a tub of naturals body lotion, it was really nice sort of a soft cafe au lait colour,that smelt slightly of cinnamon, my skin feels so much nicer since ive joined this thread. I'm treating myself next and have taken a 3/4 used tub of sanctuary mande lular out of my stash to use next.

re the perfume i've only got 2 bottles of 'cheap' perfume left in my stash so im going to try and use those up next (obviously will use the good ones from my stash if im going out or special occasions)

I think my stash just built up because i was basically being lazy, i was winning some wonderful pampering products and buying a few at carboots and when on really special offers but not actually getting round to using them, spotting this thread while making an effort to declutter was a real wake up call for me, after all what is the point in having something if you arent using it. So now im slowly working through my stash, really enjoying finding which products i like and actually pampering myself as well as decluttering. Now what will i do with all that empty cupboard space in about 3 years time when its cleared. The only trouble is now im reading your recomendations there are things i WANT to buy that i would never have thought of trying before LOL
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 01-04-2010 at 9:56 AM. Reason: spelling and added a bit
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far 2,300

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • muchowing
    Morning Everyone.

Well I blew it big time last month so I'm going to set myself a 0 target for this month! I spent nearly 90 - yes 90!!!- on lotions and potions last month! I don't think I have ever spent so much in my life on beauty things!!!!! Some was for Easter pressies - but not much! I blame all you lot on here!!!! You keep recomending things!! Its definitely been a more in than out month for March so I shouldn't need to buy anything this month.

Good luck for April and Happy Easter everyone!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2013 Member No 689 - 120/300
    SPC 2014 target 200
  • WelshWoofer
    Morning all!
    After deciding to join you for April (on the old thread) here I am!
    Last night I made a start and did a little stock check on what I actually have and used up the end of a tube of Clarins face mask stuff - felt quite good to chuck the empty tube out - who'd have thought!

I have enough posh mositurizer to last until at least October maybe even Xmas and Clinique toner, cleanser, face masks etc to last for ages. I also have 5 bottles of body moisturizer of varying brands, face scrubs, Lush bath stuff.... and the list goes on!

I have half bottles of shampoo and conditioner to use in the shower and then new ones ready to open, one bottle of everyday shower gel unopened and three posh ones (Clinique etc) - will have to hide those from OH though as he slaps it all around like it costs 1!

In the next week or two I will have to buy bathroom soap (only cheap ones, less than a 1), cotton wool pads, toothpaste and maybe a hair treatment thing.

I will try to spend less than 10 in April on toiletries - my pledge!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • rosemary54
    yipee a fresh new month,weather looks lovely .....from inside blue sky and sunny BUT blowing a gale from the east so no gradening today I feel

using p&P serum under my day and night creams,it is sinking in very quickly as my skin is v dry,skin feels lovely after I put it on,WIBA, not sure ,it was quite expensive so wouyld only get if on offer and would maybe get the Clarins one instead if that was on offer before I need some.

5 weeks and counting till I go on holiday so using body butter everyday in the morning plus foot cream so skin in good condition for tan

I have Clinique moisture surge spray(mini size) that i take on the plane with me to keep skin hydrated(I top it up from the large bottle)it is also great to spray on if after putting make up on it looks a bit dry(happens to me as have v dry skin)

have a great easter ladies

p.s after not drinking wine at all during lent I can confirm wine has no calories as have not lost any weight.....actually put some on so wine must make you lose weight roll on sunday,never mind chocie,pass me the bottle
  • h007
    Hello April!!

Lostinrates I will try that stretch test too - sounds interesting but how do you know if your shampoo has protein in it?!?!?

I havent used anything up but i do plan to do a stock take over the weekend so there will be a big list on here soon
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 1st Apr 10, 10:24 AM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 32,938 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Pickle have you done the stretch test on your hair to see whether you need moisture or protein from your conditioner?

I learned it from one of the lovely people here, and its almost eradicated bad hair days....

after take hair from the head , wet it, an gently stretch, then release...

if it doesn't shrink back you need protein, if i snaps you nee moisture...
    Originally posted by lostinrates
    Ooh, thanks - I'd never heard of that before.

What do you do if it needs protein? There are enough moisturising shampoos out there for me to choose from, so I'd be alright there.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 1st Apr 10, 10:34 AM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    I think the ones for coloured hair are ''protein ones''. silks, amino acids...that sort of reference. Some of mine actually say ''protein'' on them ( e.g. A Tigi conditioner in pink bottle). They re the ones for repair nd restructuring u sully. wht used to happen is if my hair felt bad I'd use these, then my hair would get worse, I'd keep using, not understanding why my hair ws worse, then I discovered the stretch test, I'm not sure but I think it might have been flipping36 who shred in on the Conditioner only wash thread, and discovered that my hair needed moisture not protein...the result was immediate. I do the test every time I'm washing or c/o washing, and find hat for my hair I usually need moisture not protein, I guess on a week where I C/o wash 3-4 times one will be protein the rest moisture.
    • eklynne
    • By eklynne 1st Apr 10, 10:35 AM
    • 2,357 Posts
    • 4,538 Thanks
    eklynne
    Morning girls!
    I am still in this although I've been totally snowed under with Uni deadlines and not been allowing myself much internet time.
    I am still toiletry spend-free and very pleased to announce that I have made over 250 on ebay in the past 60 days by selling bits and bobs. It's student loan day next week and I still have a fair whack in my current account which NEVER happens to me! I've also started grocery shopping online and think that's helping. No impulse spending!
    Can't believe I'm almost 3 months into this challenge, it's flown by. I'm really obsessive about it now and my bathroom is looking so organised! I can now really really see the benefits, so stick in newbies, it pays off eventually.
    Hope to catch up with all your stories when my final deadline is met on Tuesday, when I plan to spend 48 hours in my jammies, eating chocolate and catching up with all my forums/blogs.
    Hope you're all well ladies!
    Come ride with me, through the veins of history...
    I'll show you how God falls asleep on the job.
    ~Matthew Bellamy.
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 1st Apr 10, 10:37 AM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 32,938 Thanks
    InaPickle
    Morning girls!
    I am still in this although I've been totally snowed under with Uni deadlines and not been allowing myself much internet time.
    I am still toiletry spend-free and very pleased to announce that I have made over 250 on ebay in the past 60 days by selling bits and bobs. It's student loan day next week and I still have a fair whack in my current account which NEVER happens to me! I've also started grocery shopping online and think that's helping. No impulse spending!
    Can't believe I'm almost 3 months into this challenge, it's flown by. I'm really obsessive about it now and my bathroom is looking so organised! I can now really really see the benefits, so stick in newbies, it pays off eventually.
    Hope to catch up with all your stories when my final deadline is met on Tuesday, when I plan to spend 48 hours in my jammies, eating chocolate and catching up with all my forums/blogs.
    Hope you're all well ladies!
    Originally posted by eklynne
    Well done you, that's amazing progress!

Enjoy your slob-out day when it comes.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    P

• roshydoshy
    • By roshydoshy 1st Apr 10, 10:52 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 5,826 Thanks
    roshydoshy
    Hello again posters! hope you are all well on this glorious (to look at, at least ) morning in april - no sign of the showers as yet!

well done on your ebay prowess eklynne! is it easy to sell toiletries on there? i think it could come in beneficial.... lol

i don't know if any one took advantage of the magazine subscriptions you were getting 'paid' to take out via quidco but 3 subscription gifts turned up yesterday...so i have a benefit lipstick, a benefit lipgloss, a mini badgal mascara and a new thrrrob blusher, and a pack of 7 (seven!!!!!!!!) full size andrew collinge hair items to add to my stash ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

and i think I still have some more to come through the post!! it feels that with every little bit of progress one makes, we just get shoved back!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin