Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    is76
    Ideas to make vegetable more interesting?
    • 24th Mar 10, 9:07 PM
    Ideas to make vegetable more interesting? 24th Mar 10 at 9:07 PM
    I eat loads of vegetables - I really love all kinds. I am looking for some new ideas for them.

I currently do a mix of the following:

mashed turnip with some spinach stirred through them
    frozen green bean sauted in a pan with garlic paste
    frozen green beans sauted and add some tinned chopped tomatoes
    steam cabbage with teaspoon of pesto or thai curry paste
    caramalised onions
    roasted veg with pesto/curry paste/thai paste
    chopped veg with hummus
    stir fried veg with peri peri sauce or hot pepper sauce

Any more ideas?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Deborah; 30-03-2010 at 8:05 PM.
Page 1
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 24th Mar 10, 9:10 PM
    • 25,165 Posts
    • 101,401 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 24th Mar 10, 9:10 PM
    • 24th Mar 10, 9:10 PM
    Put steamed potato, sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, swede, etc, into a potato ricer. Serve this light, fluffy wonder with butter and salt. Very light but delicious!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • CCP
    • By CCP 24th Mar 10, 9:40 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 92,841 Thanks
    CCP
    • 24th Mar 10, 9:40 PM
    I love cabbage (any kind) stirfried with garlic, and bacon as well if you're not vegetarian. Another nice but non-veggie one is broccoli stirfried with anchovies, garlic and chilli - sounds odd but is utterly delicious. I think it's an Italian recipe, traditionally served as a pasta dish, but it's lovely with just about anything. It works with kale, too.

A more vegetarian-friendly favourite is tinned beans or chickpeas with tinned tomatoes or passata, herbs and a pinch of sugar, cooked until really thick - sort of home-made baked beans, I suppose.

I also like my veggies (any kind or combination) in cheese and mustard sauce, either as a meal on its own topped with breadcrumbs or sliced potato, or as a side dish.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 24th Mar 10, 9:40 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I love to sprinkle Honey and sesame seeds over roast carrots,parsnips etc
    maple syrup is another fave as is sweet chilli sauce
  • is76
    • 24th Mar 10, 10:04 PM
    • 24th Mar 10, 10:04 PM
    stirfried brocolli with anchovies etc, I have some of them lurking in cupboard and I was wondering what to do with them - sounds great!

Keep the ideas coming......
  • Peartree
    • 24th Mar 10, 10:14 PM
    • 24th Mar 10, 10:14 PM
    Roasted root veg, particularly parsnips, with wholegrain mustard and maple syrup. Delia also did roasted parsnips with parmesan which is lovely. I also like my asparagus roasted with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Balsamic vinegar is also fantastic over roasted peppers. Have you tried beetroot? The vacuum packs of pre-prepared beetroot are easy (not pickled!) and I found a recipe which did them with some cream and horseradish which went down very well. Which also reminds me of a recipe which someone else might know from Jamie Oliver which, I think, involved doing broad beans in the oven in a greaseproof paper parcel with some cream and parmesan?
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 24th Mar 10, 10:45 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    • 24th Mar 10, 10:45 PM
    • 24th Mar 10, 10:45 PM
    Aubergine bake - I don't much like aubergines, but this is yummy! No measurements here, all done by eye! Cut thick slices (1cm or so) of aubergine, rinsed and dried, then sprinkled liberally with salt and put in a collander/sieve to drain for at least half an hour. Meanwhile, fry up some diced onions till soft and put aside, then get all other ingredients ready. Wash salt off aubergine, and fry slices in a little oil till browned. Don't go nuts with the oil, it WILL soak it all up and really just needs enough to stop it sticking and brown it a little. Layer up onions, aubergine, and tinned and/or fresh tomato with some mixed herbs stirred in. Top with feta (or equivalent 'salad cheese') and bake in a medium oven until nicely browned and very hot right through.

We make up a batch in individual 2 portion foil containers (not very eco friendly, but so useful) and part bake, then freeze. They are fine going straight from freezer to oven with foil over the top to stop it burning. Could be done in larger pyrex type container to serve more people.
  • Whistling Gypsy
    • 25th Mar 10, 12:31 PM
    • 25th Mar 10, 12:31 PM
    Spinach wilted in a bit of butter with salt, pepper and a grating of nutmeg....simple but very tasty!
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 25th Mar 10, 2:39 PM
    • 25th Mar 10, 2:39 PM
    Aubergine bake - I don't much like aubergines, but this is yummy! No measurements here, all done by eye! Cut thick slices (1cm or so) of aubergine, rinsed and dried, then sprinkled liberally with salt and put in a collander/sieve to drain for at least half an hour. Meanwhile, fry up some diced onions till soft and put aside, then get all other ingredients ready. Wash salt off aubergine, and fry slices in a little oil till browned. Don't go nuts with the oil, it WILL soak it all up and really just needs enough to stop it sticking and brown it a little. Layer up onions, aubergine, and tinned and/or fresh tomato with some mixed herbs stirred in. Top with feta (or equivalent 'salad cheese') and bake in a medium oven until nicely browned and very hot right through.
    Originally posted by babyshoes
    I do this recipe topped with mozzarella and grated parmesan then it becomes Melanzana Parmigiana. It's truly delicious.

All vegetables are good with freshly chopped parsley and carrots and peas in parsley sauce as was made by my mother is wonderful.
  • parsonswife8
    Baked butternut sprinked with cinnamon and brown sugar, before cooking.
    Honey baked parsnips.
    Gnocchi, baked with spinach, garlic and cream.
    Colcannon mash(mashed potatoes, cooked cabbage and chopped spring onions).
    Peppers or beef tomatoes stuffed with savoury rice and cheese and baked.
    Green beans cooked with bacon bits and crushed garlic.
    Big flat mushrooms stuffed with garlic, breadcrumbs and crumbled feta cheese, grilled.
    Baby chanternay carrots drizzled with honey.
    Last edited by parsonswife8; 25-03-2010 at 3:49 PM.
  • ubamother
    Cheese gratin over the top of pretty much any vegetable adds a lovely savoury crispness

• mlz1413
    • By mlz1413 25th Mar 10, 4:06 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 3,405 Thanks
    mlz1413
    spicy sweetcorn - great side for a curry

aubergines with a little soy sauce, fish sauce, chilli oil, garlic and lime juice. Salt aubergines as baby shoes describes to remove any bitterness, then fry with first 3 ingredients, allow to rest for 10-20 mins then reheat with the last 2 ingredients - lovely lunch or a good side veg with chinese food

mix any mediterranean vegs with herbs & black pepper then roasted for 30 mins - sweet potatoes also roast quickly as they are softer than ordinary potatoes.

Butternut squash with cream, sage and garlic - don't be on a diet!

mix a dollop of Tahini with yogurt and heat very slowly whilst stirring - use as a dip for any raw veg you like.
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 25th Mar 10, 4:15 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    Woolton Pie!

I made it yesterday (The famous recipe from the WWII Kitchen Front) Basically, a veg pie covered with pastry.
    I used potato, swede, onion, cabbage and carrot. Slice fairly thinly, simmer gently until softened in a little stock (I used organic chicken stock) Drain off the excess liquid and put into a casserole dish or pie dish. Season with pepper and add some herbs if you like. Cover with some shortcrust pastry. (4oz flour, 2oz margarine or butter) Bake till golden brown. Serve with nice thick gravy and garden peas. It really is delicious, and, of course, you can vary the veggies according to what needs using up
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 25th Mar 10, 4:17 PM
    • 21,173 Posts
    • 36,772 Thanks
    SailorSam
    I use loads of onions, you can mix them with all sorts.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • zarazara
    I'm hungry!
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness"
    • babyshoes
    • By babyshoes 25th Mar 10, 8:51 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 3,325 Thanks
    babyshoes
    Leeks are yummy if cooked until soft in the microwave and stirred into creamy mash...
  • Steel
    This evening I made a huge batch of veggies, mixed up with some seasoning and herbs and then wrapped wholemeal pastry around them to make turnovers.
    "carpe that diem"
  • Whistling Gypsy
    Have you tried roasting cauliflower/broccoli instead of/with your normal veg too? Blummin Lush! Good with some EVOO, a squeeze of lemon, garlic and chilli (isn't everything??)
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 30th Mar 10, 10:37 PM
    • 18,263 Posts
    • 9,690 Thanks
    schiff
    Fairly simple:

Boil as normal but in the same pan potatoes, carrots, swede, turnips, parsnips (core removed) – with salt as desired. At the end, drain and mash, adding milled black pepper and any combination of olive oil, butter, milk, cream, crème fraiche, horse radish sauce to add creaminess and taste.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 30th Mar 10, 10:38 PM
    • 18,263 Posts
    • 9,690 Thanks
    schiff
    A bit tasty:

Using any combination of vegetables that you fancy, or which are on offer. Carrots, swede, turnips, parsnips (core removed), leek, celery, cauliflower, courgette, sweet potato, broccoli, any peppers except green. Peel, core and cut into thin or quarter-inch thick pieces. Wash and drain. I use a large plastic bowl with a ventilated cover. Put the vegetables into the bowl, wet from rinsing (I add no or very little extra water). Sprinkle with salt, black pepper, ginger powder, coriander powder and turmeric (this will make your bowl soon become very stained – but colourful). Stir around. Cover and microwave for about 9/10 minutes. I then dump the vegetables into a deep frying pan, sprinkle with olive oil and stir fry for a few minutes.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,151Posts Today

7,568Users online

Martin's Twitter