Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • josie
    • By josie 22nd Mar 10, 5:14 PM
    • 3,052Posts
    • 17,934Thanks
    josie
    Vote Counting at Elections?
    • 22nd Mar 10, 5:14 PM
    Vote Counting at Elections? 22nd Mar 10 at 5:14 PM
    Someone told me that you can get paid for counting votes at the election - does anyone know how to apply or if it's true?
Page 1
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 22nd Mar 10, 5:24 PM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    busiscoming2
    • 22nd Mar 10, 5:24 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 5:24 PM
    Yes you can although I have never done it. I emailed the electoral services dept at my local council and they have sent me the application forms for this coming election. HTH's.
    • hairy_g
    • By hairy_g 22nd Mar 10, 7:40 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    hairy_g
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:40 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:40 PM
    For example, in Leeds:
    http://www.leeds.gov.uk/page.aspx?pageidentifier=999b2f4c-c33b-438a-8617-efa499dd6477
    • Starrystarrynight
    • By Starrystarrynight 22nd Mar 10, 7:42 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:42 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:42 PM
    I was asked to work at the counts a few times when I worked in a bank. It wasn't much money, about 20, but that was a few years ago now.
    • meandmaboy
    • By meandmaboy 22nd Mar 10, 7:50 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    meandmaboy
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:50 PM
    Vote Counting @ Election
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:50 PM
    Someone told me that you can get paid for counting votes at the election - does anyone know how to apply or if it's true?
    Originally posted by josie
    I've done this a few times I went onto the Council Website & filled out the application forms for all the different jobs available.
    I got selected to count the 'votes' twice & @ the last 'General Election' I was lucky enough to get a job in the Polling Stations.
    Our Council keep your name on file & send out the paperwork to ask if you are still interested when the 'elections' are due.
    The pay is okay for any of the jobs.

hth
  • no fat chicks
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:53 PM
    • 22nd Mar 10, 7:53 PM
    You can earn quite good money if you are bent. Particularly if you live in a marginal constituancy.
    • josie
    • By josie 20th Apr 10, 8:40 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 17,934 Thanks
    josie
    • 20th Apr 10, 8:40 PM
    • 20th Apr 10, 8:40 PM
    Someone else on here saying it's >100 for the night. I emailed my council to ask on 20/3 - no response!
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 20th Apr 10, 10:44 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 20th Apr 10, 10:44 PM
    • 20th Apr 10, 10:44 PM
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for 235. Polling clerks get 152. Of course this is for a shift lasting from 6.30 AM to 10 PM. I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.
    No idea what the pay is for the counting centre but it could be a long night if there were recounts.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Apr 10, 6:29 AM
    • 62,715 Posts
    • 45,135 Thanks
    soolin
    • 21st Apr 10, 6:29 AM
    • 21st Apr 10, 6:29 AM
    I was offered the chance to count votes (had to decline though as already booked for work until quite late that day) 125, start at 9.55 pm and work until finished. My son is doing it this time and we both registered for work about 4/6 weeks ago.

Tax will be deducted unless you fill out the usual HMRC form to state that you have allowances to cover.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 21st Apr 10, 9:18 AM
    • 10,120 Posts
    • 12,758 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for 235. .... I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    No, it's not.

But there's an extra 50 for the training session

Less tax, of course
    • glent
    • By glent 21st Apr 10, 4:43 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    glent
    I have Emailed my council twice in the last few weeks to no avail.

I live in a small town and the people who did it last time have thier feet under the table sort it speak. Seems like a decent wager though
  • samhuzz
    I work at the Council and have done it twice. They tend to ask within the Council at mine or they have a list of people they ask. I think you would be more likely to get a Presiding Officer job or the one underneath them as less people seem to want to do this, at my Council anyway. I think the count this time is 70 odd. It is from 10pm until it finishes though.
  • BeautyandtheBeast
    i just emailed my council and got the stuff through but i wont be ab;e to do it now due to current work load!
    O/S Debt: PL 15207.34 9884.55; HSBC 4060.99; Tesco1430.15; M&S 5990.17; Virgin 5158.69 4210.14; Egg 4619.00; O/S = 30,292.42 AIM - To Be Debt Free 56 months
  • Fiver29
    I emailed my council and they're fully staffed already, but they've put my name on the reserve list in case anyone drops out.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao
    • Curveygirl
    • By Curveygirl 22nd Apr 10, 6:02 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 319 Thanks
    Curveygirl
    I emailed my council and applied to work at the polling centres. I got a letter today offering me a job as a Presiding Officer at a polling station for 235. Polling clerks get 152. Of course this is for a shift lasting from 6.30 AM to 10 PM. I assume the rate is the same throughout the UK.
    No idea what the pay is for the counting centre but it could be a long night if there were recounts.
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    I think you'll find it s a longer day than that Scotsbob. 6:30 start is probably early enough to get your polling station open for 7am, but you won't close till 10. Even if you cheat and start packing up and do ALL the official paperwork early, there is ALWAYS 1 old gadgey who wants to vote at 10pm (he's the brother of the one impatiently waiting for you to open at 7am), then, as Presiding Officer, you are responsible for getting your ballot box to, either the count, or the van which is going to take it to the count.

I have never managed to get it down to less than 06:30-22:45. And yes, for less money than you have been quoted.

Whoever it was said about people having their feet under the table is sort of right, but it does go both ways. I tried to get out of it once (it is an extremely boring day during which you forget about the good pay and start thinking of all the things you could be doing instead), but they rang me up and begged tearfully. Getting good reliable people can be trickey I think, and once you're on the list, YOU CAN'T GET OFF IT.
  • donnaessex
    I usually do it - more money for a GE but I cant this time (2 kids under 2!)

I am a presiding officer and usually get around 300+ for a GE and 220+ for a local.

Its a long old day and you do have to put up with several fruitloops during your allotted hours but I like doing it.

ETA - on a GE there are usually several recounts so it could be that you are dismissed at 4am and told to come back at 7.30am. Its happened to me once.
    Trying to become debt free but this site makes me spend a fortune!!!
    • David43
    • By David43 22nd Apr 10, 8:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    David43
    Will Tax automatically be deducted when they pay you? Or you have to declare it?
    • bundance
    • By bundance 22nd Apr 10, 10:47 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    bundance
    Will the DWP allow you to do this if you are on incapacity benefit, and are wanting to do useful things for society as it is only one shift?
    • mollymunchkin
    • By mollymunchkin 22nd Apr 10, 10:54 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 2,679 Thanks
    mollymunchkin
    Will Tax automatically be deducted when they pay you? Or you have to declare it?
    Originally posted by David43
    We get a tax form given to us to fill in at the training session and then the tax is deducted off the cheque payment.

I'm going to be a poll clerk and then straight off to the count. I better book the day off afterwards because I think I'll need a lie in!
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
    • bundance
    • By bundance 23rd Apr 10, 8:04 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    bundance
    bump please
    Will the DWP allow you to do this if you are on incapacity benefit, and are wanting to do useful things for society as it is only one shift?
    Originally posted by bundance
    bump please
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

7,144Users online

Martin's Twitter