Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Seye
    Shopping Tip
    • 14th Mar 10, 6:04 PM
    Shopping Tip 14th Mar 10 at 6:04 PM
    Hi folks,

Probably alot of you do this but I thought I would post anyway incase it helps at least one person.

When shopping I could not believe how little I was getting for my money, I was 50 for apsolutely nothing. What I started doing was using my phone calculator when doing a shopping and was amazed at how I am consitently sticking to my shopping budget and how much food I am getting for my money. No more surpirises at the checkout now
Page 1
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 14th Mar 10, 6:22 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 12,982 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 14th Mar 10, 6:22 PM
    • 14th Mar 10, 6:22 PM
    Good advice.

Have to admit, I take a calculator shopping with me - sad I know, but it does help.
    Debt 30k in 2008. Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
    Mortgage free since 2014
  • Wow
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:00 PM
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:00 PM
    When I see people in supermarkets with calculators I always feel sorry for them.
  • pollywoggle
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:08 PM
    It would make no difference to me if I took a calculator in to the shop, I would still find some thing extra to buy that wasn't on my list lol lol

only way I can stick to a budget, is to do a menu plan and check my cupboards then sit and do a shopping list on line, cant find free delivery so I have it delivered on a wednesday when its cheapest.

I admit I'm a flamin liability in a supermarket !!!!!

: rotfl:
    • bluebag
    • By bluebag 14th Mar 10, 7:13 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 23,311 Thanks
    bluebag
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:13 PM
    I do find it much cheaper to leave the kids and OH at home.
    bb
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 14th Mar 10, 7:25 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 12,982 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:25 PM
    • 14th Mar 10, 7:25 PM
    And don't shop when you are hungry either!
    Debt 30k in 2008. Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
    Mortgage free since 2014
  • Seye
    • 18th Mar 10, 2:25 PM
    • 18th Mar 10, 2:25 PM
    When I see people in supermarkets with calculators I always feel sorry for them.
    Originally posted by Wow
    Why?

I have a choice to get more for my money or to land at the check out with an almost certain unpleasant surprise. It may not work for you but it works for me so don't feel sorry.
    • Petlamb
    • By Petlamb 18th Mar 10, 2:30 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 2,876 Thanks
    Petlamb
    • 18th Mar 10, 2:30 PM
    • 18th Mar 10, 2:30 PM
    Like others, I've been known to use my phone calculator when I need to stick to a budget - one less thing to think of and means you can focus on the task at hand of getting the best value for your money!
    On the up
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
    • DGJsaver
    • By DGJsaver 18th Mar 10, 3:00 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    DGJsaver
    • 18th Mar 10, 3:00 PM
    • 18th Mar 10, 3:00 PM
    Large Aero bars are 0.50 at the moment in Tesco , calculator or not , they are a cert for the basket..
    • beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 24th Mar 10, 10:57 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    We always used to shop with a calculator when the kids were small (a very long time ago!) as we literally couldn't afford to have a nasty surprise at the checkout. Not sure we had creditcards to use then - I am talking nearly forty years ago - and I used to pay cash.
    I recent years I've always tried to use a list. I have an A4 sheet on my computer which has all our basics listed, plus a small space in which to write anything not listed. The idea is to go through the week's planned meals and check cleaning cupboards etc before going shopping and highlight everything I'll need for the coming week. Then I have no excuse to purchase extras! Doing this helped to cut our bills just as using the calculator used to.
    Sadly, since retiring I'm tempted to shop more often - and I find I'm buying more again.
    So - well done you Seye for using the calculator! I'm going back to my list. I guess we all need something to check the impulse to spend more than we need.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
    • savingmummy
    • By savingmummy 24th Mar 10, 11:01 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    savingmummy
    I used to just go in with my trolley and pick any ole thing off the shelves and so on. Most was stuff we didnt need or even want.

NOW i go in with a shopping list of what we NEED every week, it is cheaper and also cuts down the shopping time. Im in and out in 15mins normally.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014

Savings 132/1000.
    • savingmummy
    • By savingmummy 24th Mar 10, 11:02 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    savingmummy
    Originally posted by Wow
    LOL i get those looks and just smile
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014

Savings 132/1000.
  • CaroLondon
    The good thing about using your calculator on your phone is you just look like you're texting!

Caro :-)
    • mrstinchcombe
    • By mrstinchcombe 24th Mar 10, 11:52 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    mrstinchcombe
    Originally posted by Wow
    ... because they are too stupid to add up?
  • looktothefuture
    I use the scanners in Tesco now! I draw the cash and leave my card at home! I can't spend anything more than what I have on me!

I also go armed with a list and stick to it each time!

I've saved so much money by using the scanners!
  • Britwife
    ... because they are too stupid to add up?
    Originally posted by mrstinchcombe
    I don't use a calculator but I think that's a bit rude. It's obvious that calcs help these people stick to a budget therefore saving them money and being able to pay back debts. Also, some may just be distracted with their children to try and keep track and use the calc to help them.

One day you may need a calc for whatever reason, would it be ok to call you stupid?
  • magical28
    I don't use a calulator but I do walk around adding things up in my head as i go along so I know approximatley when I have reached my limit.

The only problem is when you bump into someone you know and start chatting and then forget where your up to!!
    • minicooper272
    • By minicooper272 24th Mar 10, 1:02 PM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 16,678 Thanks
    minicooper272
    I tend to keep a mental tally, round things to the nearest or 50p when you stick them in the basket. If something is 1.59 then that's 1.50 and if it's 1.80, that's 2. It generally balances out by the time you get to the tills and at worst you will be a pound over... but usually you ge a pleasant suprise. The only thing that really throws it is unpackaged fruit and veg. I think it probably only works because I don't tend to spend more than about 12 on my weeks shopping... for more than that, you could write the price next to the item on your shopping list as a way of ticking it off. Add it all up while walking to the till and you will just look like you are making sure you have everything.
    • defairmans
    • By defairmans 24th Mar 10, 1:18 PM
    • 877 Posts
    • 14,542 Thanks
    defairmans
    People shouldn't be ashamed of using a calculator or list--they should be proud! A very British attitude to discretely go over your sums on the way to the till. I think even if I had two calculators I would still mess up. I get too frazzled in the supermarket to keep track.

I almost always use a list, though, by planning a weekly menu and going through the cupboards. And to add a extra miserly twist, I always write the list on a piece of scrap paper or envelope from the daily post.

My two best tricks are to go over the receipt carefully to make sure that the prices are right. So often we have had to go back in store to get a refund on something we were overcharged on. This also helps memorise guide prices for items across supermarkets, obviously. Secondly, any overspend this week will be made up by cutting back next week so that the budget always balances out at the end of the month.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 24th Mar 10, 1:26 PM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 11,395 Thanks
    Hermia
    I now do the majority of my shopping online as I find I spend less than when I am overwhelmed by shelves and shelves of stuff. I try to do most of my shopping from the special offers section of the website. I do meal plan, but I will be prepared to change things around if there is a great offer on something. I have my bookcase of recipe books next to my desk. If I had a couple of chicken meals on my meal plan, but then saw there is a great offer on fish I'd be frantically flicking through my recipe books whilst shopping so that I can take advantage of the offer!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,074Posts Today

9,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin