Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 8th Mar 10, 5:49 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Theo tell the boss about Wayne and Jermaine?
    • 8th Mar 10, 5:49 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Theo tell the boss about Wayne and Jermaine? 8th Mar 10 at 5:49 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Theo tell the boss about Wayne and Jermaine?

Theo works at a call centre where all staff get overtime at time-and-a-third. Yet one night at the pub, his colleagues Wayne and Jermaine reveal a computer glitch means they get paid overtime at double time. They've raked in 100s in extra cash over several months. Theo is vexed that they are getting extra, but if he tells they could be sacked. Should Theo tell his boss about Wayne and Jermaine? Based on a true story.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 9th Mar 10, 11:05 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 9th Mar 10, 11:05 AM
    • 9th Mar 10, 11:05 AM
    The boss would be grateful for his honesty, and may promote him or offer him overtime.

The colleagues would see it as sour grapes, possibly ostracise him and make his life hard, but also could get themselves sacked, and would also argue that they deserve the extra money as they make so much for the company.

Personally, I'd say nothing although I'd try and get some overtime too.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 9th Mar 10, 4:59 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 9th Mar 10, 4:59 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 4:59 PM
    If they were two MPs, this would be headlines for a week and we would all be screaming for them to be sacked AND pay back the money.

Yes, Theo should inform the company and they should have to pay back the money.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Mar 10, 7:09 PM
    • 5,470 Posts
    • 9,061 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 9th Mar 10, 7:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 7:09 PM
    Could they actually get in trouble for this? Surely it's the company responsibility to ensure they are paying their staff correctly and they could just plead ignorance. I couldn't tell you if I was being overpaid at work. I'd imagine they'd have to pay it back though.

If I was in Theo's position, I wouldn't say anything, only because I know they'd get found out at some point and also because I wouldn't want to be the office grass, no one likes that person and frankly if everyone dislikes you at work it's going to make your working day very miserable indeed.

They really shouldn't be going round discussing their pay though, never a good idea.
  • Phyre Faerie
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:31 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:31 PM
    Just because they've found a loophole doesn't make it right. Most companys now have a confidential line employees can call if something is not right somewhere. He should do something anonymously so it can be investigated properly and his collegues faced with hard evidence of their misdeeds. They are knowingly taking advantage and know exactly what they should be getting paid so this is clear cut fraud. If this was a shopworker with their fingers in the till there wouldn't be any discussion. If people were honest at work maybe we'd all get paid a bit more....
    Got Married 1st may '10!
    Our Money Saving wedding was the best day of our lives!!

• collingbone614
    • By collingbone614 9th Mar 10, 10:32 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    collingbone614
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:32 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:32 PM
    If they were two MPs, this would be headlines for a week and we would all be screaming for them to be sacked AND pay back the money.

Yes, Theo should inform the company and they should have to pay back the money.
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    And the MPs would appeal, rock all would happen, and once the headlines had died down everyone would have forgotten about it again.

I say take all the money, Wayne and Jermaine, and spend it on a Deed Poll.
    • enbrennan
    • By enbrennan 9th Mar 10, 10:37 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    enbrennan
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:37 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:37 PM
    Only if they refuse to pay the blackmail!
    • PoorPennilessMe
    • By PoorPennilessMe 9th Mar 10, 10:51 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    PoorPennilessMe
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:51 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 10:51 PM
    I would tell the boss. Lost profits mean smaller (if any!) pay rises for everyone else, so in effect they are stealing from their colleagues.

I think I would be as discreet as possible about it though to avoid any backlash...

In reality, the company would be very hard pushed to justify any disciplinary action, or to claim the money back - the legal aspect is that it's the firm's fault (unless Wayne and Jermaine have done something to cause the glitch), but at least they could prevent it happening again.
    Last edited by PoorPennilessMe; 09-03-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 9th Mar 10, 11:20 PM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    • 9th Mar 10, 11:20 PM
    • 9th Mar 10, 11:20 PM
    Why would they be sacked? There are lots of good reasons the staff could come up with on why they didn't notice the over payment so the most they could get would be a warning and even then they could argue it's unfair.

Also if the management are too incompetent to notice that some of there staff are being over paid then it's their own fault.

BTW I worked at a call centre years ago and my job was spotting things like this.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • JOLLYJO
    In an ideal world yes he should tell his boss because it is not right that they are getting paid more than they should without the company knowing about it plus its not right they are getting paid more then other people doing the same job. However if he tells they will know he told and if they do not get sacked they will more than likely make his life a misery. However the more I think about this, they are probably not that nice anyway as they should have told their boss themselves plus they have now included some one else into their deception. May be an anonymous email might be the answer and the ability to deny all knowledge when his colleagues confront him.
    • Stryder
    • By Stryder 10th Mar 10, 4:39 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    Stryder
    option 1)
    Blackmail, although just as morally wrong as theft, could get him a 25% cut of each friend for doing no work. Also, easily deniable. Schimples.

option 2)
    Why not let it be known to his friends that the company are aware of the scam and are monitoring it. a faked "called into the office and was asked if i know anything about this" kinda of thing should be easy enough. Company do not find out, work mates scared off the scam

option 3)
    Join them

option 4)
    register the information of MSE so more people can do it

option 5)
    Use a go between to sell the information of the flaw to the company as part of a software engineering review

option 6)
    combine grassing up your colleagues with asking for extra training/holiday/pay/promotion.

option 7)
    Tell a secretary - who is guaranteed to tell everyone in the company.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 10th Mar 10, 6:33 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    Surely Theo can inform the boss of the glitch as if it was something he had just spotteed (anonymously) and not draw attention to the fact that he is aware it has been exploited?
    • crowlands
    • By crowlands 10th Mar 10, 7:38 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    crowlands
    Yes I would 'shop them' - they are getting money that is not due to them - and more importantly they are not being paid fairly against their colleagues who are working with them.
  • glasgowsoundman
    Should Theo tell the boss about Wayne and Jermaine?
    Yes, of course he should.
  • Liz1957
    Theo should do some overtime, notice that he has been paid too much and tell the boss, this way he lets them know and stops it without loosing his friends.
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 10th Mar 10, 9:41 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    Just because they've found a loophole doesn't make it right. Most companys now have a confidential line employees can call if something is not right somewhere. He should do something anonymously so it can be investigated properly and his collegues faced with hard evidence of their misdeeds. They are knowingly taking advantage and know exactly what they should be getting paid so this is clear cut fraud. If this was a shopworker with their fingers in the till there wouldn't be any discussion. If people were honest at work maybe we'd all get paid a bit more....
    Originally posted by Phyre Faerie
    That. If it was me I'd tell my boss, but only if I knew I wouldn't get found out, as I've been in similar situations before where it hasn't ended well.

Or I'd use Stryder's option 2 trick.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 10th Mar 10, 9:48 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    Tell the boss. The company cannot sack them for paying them too much. If it tried, it would cost them much, much more in tribunals.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 10th Mar 10, 10:15 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    i think its best to keep stum to avoid alienating yuour collegeagues and everyone else
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • UrbanFox
    • By UrbanFox 10th Mar 10, 11:39 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    UrbanFox
    Only if they refuse to pay the blackmail!
    Originally posted by enbrennan
    I like your thinking enbrennan

Seriously though, I don't think I'd shop them - as others have said, they're not exactly being discrete about it, so they're bound to get caught out sooner rather than later.

Theo should just sit tight... their uppance will come!
  • Willowcat
    Should Theo tell his boss about Wayne & Jermaine?
    If Theo doesn't tell he will only continue to be vexed by Wayne & Jermaine's actions. However, W&J are likely to want to know who told on them. Somethings are better left unsaid, but as W&J were stupid enough to blurt out their scam, then you could say they only have themselves to blame if it all goes pear shaped. If Theo is a strong individual who wants to climb the corporate ladder then tell. If he just wants to do the job, get paid and go no further in his career, then probably best to let sleeping dogs lie, after all it won't be too long before someone else gets wind of their deceit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

218Posts Today

2,232Users online

Martin's Twitter