Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th Jan 05, 12:37 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.
    • 24th Jan 05, 12:37 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt. 24th Jan 05 at 12:37 PM
    You walk into the supermarket and see four levels of brands. But are M&S Jaffa cakes really made by McVities? Is there a difference between Tesco and Kellogs Bran Flakes? (see the Downshift Challenge section of the Money Diet for more info on this)

Using MoneySavers Collective Knowledge

I want to use the insider information of all MoneySavers to try and compile a list. Do you work in/or at a factory producing such goods. If you do - what's the difference or are they just the same things in disguise.

This could be both food and electrical or other goods.

What to do

Please put

A. What the main and sub-product are
    B. How you know
    C. Are there any differences

To submit your info, just click reply

Martin

PS thanks to sumosaver for the idea for this.

A Quick Warning

It's worth remembering there is no way to check the info below, so take it all with a little pinch of salt (own brand?) but still probably worth trying the cheaper one

Martin

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-10-2015 at 12:36 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 109
    • soldierboy001
    • By soldierboy001 4th Apr 18, 9:17 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    soldierboy001
    Oh no they don't , oh yes the do.
    I have worked for all the supermarkets as a delivery/collector drive through agency work and I can tell you that yes certain products from a manufacturer can be made for different supermarkets but they are mostly to different recipes. For instance pizza for M&S and Sainsbury are made in the same factory but the M&S ones are far superior as we are allowed to purchase from the factory shop and were not identical. And take a tin of beans from Tesco Basics range and remove the sauce fewer beans and the Basics are much paler. Apples that may come from the same farm are more than likely the ace of the crop for Waitrose but downgraded for another supermarket.
    The statement I know it is true a sales person told me is tosh, a sales person will tell you what you want to hear to get a sale.
    Yes TV companies, and other electricals, do put other manufacturers product parts in their products but it doesn't mean that a Panasonic is made by Hitachi because it has an Hitachi component in it. Certain components are always outsourced as in car manufacture, and only a few manufacturers make panels/screens and of certain sizes, so Sharp may use their own Panels/screens in some sets but LG in others.
    • Fairygirl1510
    • By Fairygirl1510 8th Aug 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fairygirl1510
    Sun valley
    Hi does anyone know what days and times the sun valley factory shop is open i know its named something else now
    • compmad1
    • By compmad1 30th Sep 18, 3:26 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    compmad1
    Hi, does anyone know of any supermarket own brand baked beans which are actually Branstons? Thanks.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 30th Sep 18, 4:01 PM
    • 12,558 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Does anyone have an up to date comparison with condiments (such as Ketchup, Brown Sauce...etc) I used to be able to opt for Asda's main line but recently tried this and ended up throwing away what I bought because it was so bad. Their discounted version was not much better.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 30th Sep 18, 4:26 PM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 19,690 Thanks
    Doc N
    Does anyone have an up to date comparison with condiments (such as Ketchup, Brown Sauce...etc) I used to be able to opt for Asda's main line but recently tried this and ended up throwing away what I bought because it was so bad. Their discounted version was not much better.
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    Ketchupís a bit of a personal thing, isnít it, but Iíve switched quite happily from Heinz to Aldi or Lidl and have no desire to go back.

Higher tomato content too.

And on a vaguely related matter the % of cod in the Aldi fish fingers is considerably higher than the % in brand leader Birdseye.
    • Ego_Shredder
    • By Ego_Shredder 23rd Oct 18, 3:33 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Ego_Shredder
    And on a vaguely related matter the % of cod in the Aldi fish fingers is considerably higher than the % in brand leader Birdseye.
    Originally posted by Doc N

I'm a keen Aldi shopper but their frozen fish products leave a bit to be desired. You may get more fish inside but it is of much lower quality, often with a poor taste. The products kept on the refridgerated shelves

fare much better for quality and taste.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Ego_Shredder
    • By Ego_Shredder 23rd Oct 18, 3:38 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Ego_Shredder
    I used to love the Sainsbury's own-brand Weetabix but the new round ones are absolutely vile and nowhere near as nice as the old ones. Bah.
    Originally posted by Scritti

It's the same with Sainsbury's own brand Corn Flakes, which used to be delicious and far superior to Kellogg's. However a few years ago they changed the recipe or where they source it, and now it is thin as razor blades and can actually cut your mouth if not careful; the taste is not as good either. So I just forced myself to buy Aldi's version and get used to that instead. If the old Sainsbury's product was 10/10, I would give Aldi's about 7/10. The current Sainsbury's I would now give 2/10 and Kellogg's 1/10.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 24th Oct 18, 7:43 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Bacman
    I don't know the answer to the question however what I can say is we used to buy Branson baked beans as wasn't so keen on Heinz ones, or some cheaper brands however we then tried Asda's own ones, the red ones in a pack of 4 for 98p and I must say we can't taste any difference between the two. The price is far better at a fair bit under half the price, so good value. A switch worth making!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 24th Oct 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6,730 Posts
    • 11,667 Thanks
    Farway
    I don't know the answer to the question however what I can say is we used to buy Branson baked beans as wasn't so keen on Heinz ones, or some cheaper brands however we then tried Asda's own ones, the red ones in a pack of 4 for 98p and I must say we can't taste any difference between the two. The price is far better at a fair bit under half the price, so good value. A switch worth making!
    Originally posted by Bacman
    A second for the Asda 4 pack beans
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,544Posts Today

6,628Users online

Martin's Twitter