Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jwelambert
    • By jwelambert 15th Jul 06, 12:21 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jwelambert
    Turkey Leg recipes
    • 15th Jul 06, 12:21 PM
    Turkey Leg recipes 15th Jul 06 at 12:21 PM
    Hello all,
    I often buy the large cheap turkey legs from asda as they have quite a lot of meat on at a bargain price, I normally just roast it and serve, however can anyone suggest something different to do with it, I have sampled with trying to make marinades for it before but they dont seem to work too well, though thats probably more to do with my cooking ability.

Suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

James
Page 1
  • mgardner
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:13 PM
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:13 PM
    I do mine in the slow cooker with onion, carrots, potatoes etc. Or slow cook and strip off the meat and add to curry sause (tesco value can)
    • jwelambert
    • By jwelambert 15th Jul 06, 1:32 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jwelambert
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:32 PM
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:32 PM
    Thanks, sounds nice, just I havent got a slowcooker, i have boiled one in my covered Wok before, but how long should i look to cook for?

Thanks again

j
  • mgardner
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:40 PM
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:40 PM
    Bring it to the boil and then simmer for about an hour. The meat should be falling off the bone then and its easy to fish it out and remove those horrible white tendons. Best of luck.
    • gwinnie
    • By gwinnie 15th Jul 06, 1:59 PM
    • 9,200 Posts
    • 18,062 Thanks
    gwinnie
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:59 PM
    • 15th Jul 06, 1:59 PM
    Hi James, it's also nice done Chinese style, eg black bean sauce.
  • raeble
    • 15th Jul 06, 2:04 PM
    • 15th Jul 06, 2:04 PM
    My mother and grandmother cut it off the bone and cut it up into chunks, they usually cut up an onion, tomato, paprika and a bit of salt and pepper and cook on the stove. I would say that you can use it in the same way you would cook chicken on the stove top. I'm not sure how long it would take. I will ask and get back to you but I think it is under an hour.
    • twink
    • By twink 15th Jul 06, 2:15 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    • 15th Jul 06, 2:15 PM
    • 15th Jul 06, 2:15 PM
    i sometimes buy a turkey leg to make soup, i put it in a pan with water, a couple of stock cubes, red lentils, carrot, onion and swede turnip and simmer till ready, take out the turkey leg let it cool and strip off the meat, it can then be used with a curry or sweet and sour sauce or whatever you like
    at 97p in asda it makes a cheap couple of meals
    • lofty_cherrytree
    • By lofty_cherrytree 15th Jul 06, 4:50 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    lofty_cherrytree
    • 15th Jul 06, 4:50 PM
    Turkey vindaloo
    • 15th Jul 06, 4:50 PM
    I cut the meat off the bone and for 2lb meat martinade for 3 hours with

6x cardamom pods
    1tsp black peppercorns All ground in coffee grinder
    4 dried chillies (or to taste) or pestle & mortar
    1 tsp cloves
    4 inch piece cinnamon bark
    1tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp coriander
    1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
    4 tbsp clear vinegar (eg white wine)
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Then heat some oil and fry 2 x finely sliced onions til browned
    Add:
    3 garlic cloves crushed
    2 inch piece fresh ginger grated
    3 x chopped tomatoes
    2x green chillies chopped
    1 tsp brown sugar
    Stir then add the turkey and marinade liquid and brown
    add
    1 cup water and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until tender.

Serve with plain rice and naan
  • davesgirl
    • 15th Jul 06, 7:28 PM
    • 15th Jul 06, 7:28 PM
    I do mine in the slow cooker with onion, carrots, potatoes etc. Or slow cook and strip off the meat and add to curry sause (tesco value can)
    by mgardner

thats what i do too, they are so great for making cheaper meat taste a lot better
    debt in june 06:6290:rolleyes:
    july 1st 06 : 5247.70
    july 20th 06 4867
    hope to be debt free by : july 2007at the latest

dfw grocery challenge 20/07-20/08 240
    spent so far - 75.57_____164.43 left
    • mah_jong
    • By mah_jong 3rd Sep 06, 6:47 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    mah_jong
    Turkey Drumstick
    I have one of these and I got it to make soup (going cheap) however there seems to be a meal or two of meat on it and just wondered how you cook yours!
    TIA
    mah
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 3rd Sep 06, 7:48 PM
    • 10,419 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    i had 2 turkey drumsticks...as they were cheap 1.07 i think.... but i thought there would be loads of meat on them.. didnt realise they got a few like a bone type sinue runnig through the meat.... so when i roasted them.... i took as much meat off them as i could and then made a curry... out of them.... but i dont think i would have them again.....
    Work to live= not live to work
    • neets
    • By neets 3rd Sep 06, 8:13 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    neets
    I do my turkey drumsticks in the slow cooker, the meat falls off the bone, I manage to get more meat off them this way rather than roasting.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 3rd Sep 06, 9:37 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    i had 2 turkey drumsticks...as they were cheap 1.07 i think.... but i thought there would be loads of meat on them.. didnt realise they got a few like a bone type sinue runnig through the meat.... so when i roasted them.... i took as much meat off them as i could and then made a curry... out of them.... but i dont think i would have them again.....
    by COOLTRIKERCHICK
    I agree! I bought one and roasted it but didn't like it - the meat was really sinewy. I made a roast dinner with mine but don't think I will be buying one again either.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • sparkles.
    I do my turkey drumsticks in the slow cooker, the meat falls off the bone, I manage to get more meat off them this way rather than roasting.
    by neets
    Can you let me know how you cook them in the SC, please?
    • neets
    • By neets 5th Sep 06, 5:29 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    neets
    Can you let me know how you cook them in the SC, please?
    by sparkles.
    I simply put a bit of water in the base of the pot , about half an inch, and add a chicken stock cube, placing the turkey leg chunky side down. It often only just fits into the pot depending on how long it is. I tend to cook it on low for about 7 hours. It's nice cheap meat for sandwiches.
  • sparkles.
    I simply put a bit of water in the base of the pot , about half an inch, and add a chicken stock cube, placing the turkey leg chunky side down. It often only just fits into the pot depending on how long it is. I tend to cook it on low for about 7 hours. It's nice cheap meat for sandwiches.
    by neets
    Thanks, i think I'll try that. Nice big bone for stock later too
  • filigree
    I'm cooking one tomorrow - I'll put it in the slow cooker with some leftover sauce from a chicken casserole. I'll probably use the bone to make stock with the bendy carrot from the bottom of the fridge
  • coletteflaherty
    Turkey
    I bought a leg of this for 1.49, seemed like a bargain, but now I've heard that it can taste dry and horrible when you cook it.

I've never cooked it before, it's already got herbs on it and the packet just says to roast for 1 hour 20 minutes. Can anyone give me any tips so I don't ruin it?
  • coletteflaherty
    Cheers, thanks for that. No one seemed to like it, so it probably won't get eaten now. Took a while to persuade bf to even try it. Oops. I've give it a go though, don't have a slow cooker, so will have to make do with the plain ole oven.
    • MATH
    • By MATH 6th Sep 06, 4:16 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Those jumbo turkey drumsticks are great value although I wouldn't want to meet the bird it came off in a dark alley on a Saturday night. LOL

I marinade one in lemon juice, garlic and honey and then roast on a rack and serve on a bed of cous cous which I have flavoured with lemon juice and peel and roughly chopped mint tossed through with some chopped fired onion. Really easy mid-week fayre but jazz up the presentation add a green salad and some oven roasted cherry toms and you've got a passable dinner party course.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,407Posts Today

7,217Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin