Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 3rd Feb 10, 10:55 PM
    • 2,934Posts
    • 18,576Thanks
    La escocesa
    5 for the weekend
    • 3rd Feb 10, 10:55 PM
    5 for the weekend 3rd Feb 10 at 10:55 PM
    Hi everybody,

I'm currently thinking about the weekend coming up and how much cash I don't want to spend! Thing is, OH is out on Saturday and that is usually my cue to head to the shops with the girls or go out for lunch. This weekend I don't want to do either. I have 5 in my purse and am determined not to get any more cash out until next week.

So...I wondered...what do you wonderful people suggest for Saturday afternoon's free/low spend activities?

So far my best idea has been to have a wardrobe clearout and put my old clothes on ebay but I doubt that'll take all afternoon. Any other ideas about what to do with 5 for the weekend?
Page 1
    • Tixy
    • By Tixy 3rd Feb 10, 11:06 PM
    • 31,062 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    Tixy
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:06 PM
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:06 PM
    To be honest wardrobe clearout and ebay sound like a good plan (this would take me all afternoon and evening I know!). What about having one or more of the girls round for a gossip or a clothes swap. You could even do basic lunch for a fiver (homemade soup and a french stick perhaps?)

If you are in a city what about looking what free museums/galleries are open? Or head to the local library?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give

or "It costs nowt to be nice"
    • tiff
    • By tiff 3rd Feb 10, 11:11 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:11 PM
    I used to love the Central library in our city when we I was younger and had no money. Go for a long walk, borrow someones dog lol
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • whichwhydoIturn
    • By whichwhydoIturn 3rd Feb 10, 11:11 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 1,906 Thanks
    whichwhydoIturn
    what about borrowing a dvd from a friend.bar of chocolate a face pack.a comfy cushion,lovely after a mad hour or two of ebay listing & sorting.x
    • QueenBeruthiel
    • By QueenBeruthiel 3rd Feb 10, 11:13 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    QueenBeruthiel
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:13 PM
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:13 PM
    Nice walk? Bake or some other hobby? Go for a swim? Watch a DVD?
    • Tixy
    • By Tixy 3rd Feb 10, 11:17 PM
    • 31,062 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    Tixy
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:17 PM
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:17 PM
    Actually if I had 5hours to kill, I'd probably do what I normally do - spend (waste) it here on MSE
    (I'd be fine as long as I stay away from the boards that encourage me to spend)
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give

or "It costs nowt to be nice"
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 3rd Feb 10, 11:20 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 18,576 Thanks
    La escocesa
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:20 PM
    • 3rd Feb 10, 11:20 PM
    OK, it's gotta start with ebay! I can imagine it would take me all day if I did it right but I end up getting a bit bored with the whole thing. Last time it was a shoe clear out when I only sold 2 pairs and got so annoyed with the others lying in bags around the house that I just took them to the charity shop. Didn't quite make the riches I'd imagined.

Best get reading the ebay threads!!

(Hmm, trouble with the library is that it's sooo close to the shops!!)

Thanks everyone xx
    • tealady
    • By tealady 4th Feb 10, 5:43 AM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 3,536 Thanks
    tealady
    • 4th Feb 10, 5:43 AM
    • 4th Feb 10, 5:43 AM
    Hi
    How about batch cooking for the freezer
    Doing one of those jobs you hate
    Long soak in the bath, facepack manicure and pedicure
    (If I ever tackled all the ironing that would take me 5 hours!)
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • timmmers
    • By timmmers 4th Feb 10, 6:28 AM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 20,080 Thanks
    timmmers
    • 4th Feb 10, 6:28 AM
    • 4th Feb 10, 6:28 AM
    Come over to the competitions threads and spend ALL DAY entering and trying to win stuff instead of buying it To enter all the comps posted would actually take much more than a day, but it's V day soon so there's some nice treats up for grabs that may take your fancy right now

Word of warning, it's addictive.
    It's free though, ad between us we don't do too shabbily (read the "I won I won" thread top of the section and you'll see that.

t
    If you're not winning. You're not trying hard enough.

Facebook : Tim Bain Twitter: @TimothyBain feel free to add etc,

• linz
    • By linz 4th Feb 10, 6:58 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 4,381 Thanks
    linz
    You could compromise with the desire to shop and see if the charity shops had something you liked with your fiver?
    • savingqueen
    • By savingqueen 12th Feb 10, 4:39 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 22,694 Thanks
    savingqueen
    phone or write to an old friend to catch up on news (rather than emailing,texting etc for a change). buy a bottle of plonk and invite a friend to share it. get a good book from library or take weekend papers and sit for a couple of hours in a coffee shop.
    • DGJsaver
    • By DGJsaver 12th Feb 10, 4:47 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    DGJsaver
    The way i feel at the moment , if i had the chance i would sleep through the entire weekend , wake up monday still 5 up !
    • Souk08
    • By Souk08 12th Feb 10, 5:00 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 18,070 Thanks
    Souk08
    Mmm get a mate round and buy 2 pizzas and some garlic bread and ask her to bring wine. Have a lovely girly lunch in and then GET ON WITH SORTING THE WARDROBE! I did it for my sis on my last day in Oz. I was staying with her and we'd run out of cash so we did this and it was amazing. She had so much carp and she had to keep running to the charity shop with bags. She was left with a smart and a casual wardrobe all neat and tidy, and I gave her homework (bits to buy). It's such a good feeling when it's all sorted. BTW in an ideal world wardrobe clearouts and styling would be my full time job!
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Feb 10, 6:06 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 41,550 Thanks
    determined new ms
    5 a weekend is about my budget at the moment after writing off my car in Dec... Definately endorse all of the ideas above. Often go for a really long country walk at the wkend and then stop at a little pub and have a pint and read the paper. feels very rich!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 12th Feb 10, 6:29 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 18,576 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi guys,

Thanks v much for all your replies and ideas!

So, we're now heading into a new weekend and this weekend I'm aiming for a completely NO SPEND one.

Needless to say, last weekend I didn't get round to the wardrobe clearout, but Souk08's post has inspired me!! I know it'll be great when the place is all nice and tidy and I know exactly what I've got in there!

Happy weekends!
    • savingmummy
    • By savingmummy 12th Feb 10, 7:19 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 3,619 Thanks
    savingmummy
    I don`t go out at weekends as i dont work (SAHM) and never have any money.
    I normal declutter, do any diy jobs around the place, go to the park with the kiddies, feed the ducks, wash the car, visit friends/family, cook.

Tomorrow i`m cleaning windows and doing side curtains whilst listening to my favourite album full blast
    Washing all the bedding and then making fairycakes ready for Sunday

Sunday lie in, then off to parents for dinner
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014

Savings 132/1000.
  • lizzy3001
    Get paid to shop
    Join retaileyes and get paid to shop. The assignments get better the more you do...
  • HTML200
    Unless you're incredibly slapdash about your photos and descriptions, it takes ages to list things on ebay.

And taking your time over it can seriously increase the amount you get - I reckon you get 50% more on an item that has a good quality photo and well-written description.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter