Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Alana
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures
    • 8th Dec 09, 9:33 PM
    Report Bank Charges successes and failures 8th Dec 09 at 9:33 PM

Please report your Bank Charges Reclaiming Successes/failures
    since the Supreme Court decision in Nov 2009 here

REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM

How to report your success/failure:

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • Bank name:
    • Amount Reclaimed:
    • Amount they paid:
    • The story: (Just a few sentences, please include how far you went did you a. just write a letter, b. threaten to go to court or c. actually go to court)
    ***** Want to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV? *****

Hi all. If you've had a refund we need your help

Bank Charges is often in the news and we are frequently asked if we have any MoneySavers that are willing to tell their stories to the press.

If you'd like to help spread the news and encourage others, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your claim for
    * how much did you get back
    * who is your bank
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live

NOTE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
    ABOUT RECLAIMING BANK CHARGES
    PLEASE FIRST READ THE GUIDE:
    Bank Charges Reclaiming
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 10-06-2010 at 3:35 PM.
Page 81
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Feb 19, 7:22 AM
    • 97,959 Posts
    • 66,118 Thanks
    dunstonh
    . Halifax
    . Amount reclaimed £280 + £79.09 interest
    . Amount they paid £100
    . reclaimed using Martins template letter, asking for a satisfactory response or will pursue complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service or small claims court. letter sent 1 Feb 2019 (just seen in my bank account £100 on 12 feb 2019.
    Haven't received their response letter in post as yet but just seen payment of £100 as RP ON MY ONLINE BANK ACCOUNT!
    . Now wondering if should write back saying not happy with this offer and hint court action route etc and ask for £200 ???
    like I saw in a previous user post(thank you)
    NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NOW? GRATEFUL FOR SOMETHING BACK OR IF IS A REASONABLE OFFER?
    THANKS MARTIN, THIS IS THE BEST SITE FOR EVERYTHING
    Originally posted by stuart1973
    The banks won the supreme court case in 2009 which ended all the legal actions against the banks on unfair bank charges. So, on what basis do you think you have found a new avenue that could work?

A £100 goodwill gesture is a "go away" figure. It's cheaper for them to just offer it rather than fight it. If you start fighting it, they can withdraw the offer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Bermonia
    • By Bermonia 13th Feb 19, 7:51 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    Bermonia
    In my experience they can and will withdraw the offer if further action is taken - the reality is that banks are NOT required to refund you any charges, merely consider any ‘current’ financial hardship you may be in and potentially freeze some charges or interest.
    • MICHYMOO
    • By MICHYMOO 22nd Feb 19, 9:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MICHYMOO
    Hi, has a ybody any experience with Consumer Refund Service? Is it safe? Thank you.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Feb 19, 10:15 AM
    • 97,959 Posts
    • 66,118 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi, has a ybody any experience with Consumer Refund Service? Is it safe? Thank you.
    Originally posted by MICHYMOO
    Not a good reputation and if their service is about reclaiming bank charges (this thread topic) then forget. Do not use them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 22nd Feb 19, 10:15 AM
    • 21,673 Posts
    • 23,567 Thanks
    zx81
    Assuming that's a claims company, it's a safe way to lose some of your money.

Invest in a stamp of your own and send off your complaint directly.
    • Sangreal
    • By Sangreal 25th Feb 19, 11:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sangreal
    Successful Lloyds Packaged Account Charges
    Submitted a claim through resolver, Lloyds have upheld the complaint stating that I was never offered or made aware that I could have a free current account and since 2000 was put on a Gold, then Platinum then Premier account. At no point was there any evidence found that a free current account with similar overdraft level was an option.

Total refund figure given to me today to be refunded this week with interest is £6955...I'm actually speechless!

Thanks for making me aware that I could even make a claim for this.

Mike
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 25th Feb 19, 11:25 AM
    • 97,959 Posts
    • 66,118 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Submitted a claim through resolver, Lloyds have upheld the complaint stating that I was never offered or made aware that I could have a free current account and since 2000 was put on a Gold, then Platinum then Premier account. At no point was there any evidence found that a free current account with similar overdraft level was an option.

Total refund figure given to me today to be refunded this week with interest is £6955...I'm actually speechless!

Thanks for making me aware that I could even make a claim for this.

Mike
    Originally posted by Sangreal
    Well done. However, this thread is not about packaged bank accounts.
    • Sangreal
    • By Sangreal 25th Feb 19, 11:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sangreal
    Ah ok apologies. Can a Mod move it to the correct forum if possible? Or just delete it if not relevent...

Mike
    • Loganberry1602
    • By Loganberry1602 8th Apr 19, 11:59 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loganberry1602
    Success 2019!
    Even though there was a ruling in 2009, I still strongly believed I had a good case against RBS for bank charges and packaged bank account charges. With this combined I went to Halifax with my double complaint for a claim of just under £3000 (in October 2018). Halifax replied promptly and offered me £100 and said they were not in the wrong. After taking it to the FOS and waiting a few months further, I received an offer for Just under £2000! I accepted and the cheque arrived today. Thank you so much to Martin and the gang- and all the people who take time to post on here. Through financial struggles a few years ago that have still had an effect on me today- you have helped me so much. Who would have thought after sending a couple of letters that I would be 2K better off. If you are still hesitant to write one but 100% deserve the claim- I strongly advise you do!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Apr 19, 12:11 PM
    • 23,457 Posts
    • 12,851 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Sounds like only the packaged account was refunded.

FOS cannot adjudicate on unfair bank charges.

That being said, well done on your success.
    • Loganberry1602
    • By Loganberry1602 16th Apr 19, 7:04 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loganberry1602
    My Reclaim was 3/4 Bank Charges
    Thanks! Actually, you are wrong. Most of my payment I received (£1500) was refunded bank charges. Only 25% was because of the packaged bank fees. Originally I was offered £100 for the bank charges and £8.50 for the packaged bank account. They were both sent to the ombudsman and they thought I had a better chance if I combined the claims. As a result they offered 2k and the FOS is still looking into it further....
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Apr 19, 8:02 PM
    • 97,959 Posts
    • 66,118 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Thanks! Actually, you are wrong. Most of my payment I received (£1500) was refunded bank charges. Only 25% was because of the packaged bank fees. Originally I was offered £100 for the bank charges and £8.50 for the packaged bank account. They were both sent to the ombudsman and they thought I had a better chance if I combined the claims. As a result they offered 2k and the FOS is still looking into it further....
    Originally posted by Loganberry1602
    You ought to go to the press as there are only 2 known cases of bank charge refunds since the 2009 court case that do not come under current financial hardship criteria.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 16th Apr 19, 9:33 PM
    • 7,174 Posts
    • 4,520 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    This is really in need of some proof not least because the FOS themselves say they don't take on bank charge cases let alone this stuff about combining the cases. Banks do not payout on old charges since the court case, they do not pay out for anything except current financial hardship. The idea you just wrote and got £1500 of old charges back when every other complaint is rejected is so unlikely it demands evidence as that would open the floodgates for new complaints when the bank had no reason at all to payout

Almost certainly you got back the package account charges and with the interest etc it has added up.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    • 23,457 Posts
    • 12,851 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Thanks! Actually, you are wrong.
    Can you share the letter from the Bank upholding your complaint? The whole forum will be astounded if it confirms your statement here.

Enjoy your refund
    • Loganberry1602
    • By Loganberry1602 17th Apr 19, 11:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loganberry1602
    My Letter
    The reason they refunded the charges is due to the packaged bank account fees coming out when I had no money in my account. As a result of this, they charged me around £5 a day for going over my £100 overdraft. As I was only 18 years old with a part time job (which I got paid mind month) I was racking up £85-£145 a month in fees and only earning £300-400. So sometimes half my wages. On top of that was the packaged bank account charge of £15- which was completely miss sold. A few years later when I finally addressed that I shouldnít be paying that much and began taking control of my finances and asked the bank to help. They put a control fee on my account of £10 a month (to prevent me from going over my limit) and downgraded my account. However they continued to charge me £40 in fees even with the control fee added.

When I put this all into my letter, I was refunds packaged bank account fees, some bank charges and some control fees.

The payment out to me was mostly refunded bank charges. I encourage people to still try. After reading this and not realising that people werenít getting paid out for it anymore I still persued and I 2k better off. Every case is different and you will never know if you donít try. Maybe because I had a packaged bank account it helped the case to be looked at by the FOS. IDK but still, Iím happy that I tried. I just wanted to share my story to encourage people still go for it. I may share the letter, Iím not sure as of yet. I donít feel like I should have to prove it to anyone but if it helps others then I may.
    • Loganberry1602
    • By Loganberry1602 17th Apr 19, 11:47 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loganberry1602
    I’m happy if someone from the moneysaving expert want to contact me and I can show them all the evidence.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 17th Apr 19, 12:59 PM
    • 97,959 Posts
    • 66,118 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Thank you for the update.

The reason they refunded the charges is due to the packaged bank account fees coming out when I had no money in my account. As a result of this, they charged me around £5 a day for going over my £100 overdraft.
    These are consequential charges. i.e. if the PBA charge had not been made then some of the over-limit charges would not be made either. So, they take those into account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,374Posts Today

4,215Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin