Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tara747
    • By tara747 1st Feb 10, 2:34 PM
    • 10,235Posts
    • 26,908Thanks
    tara747
    No buying toiletries in February challenge!
    • 1st Feb 10, 2:34 PM
    No buying toiletries in February challenge! 1st Feb 10 at 2:34 PM
    The original thread is now over 130 pages and I am scared that someone is going to delete it at some stage if it gets too big! Should we have a monthly thread, then they will all be preserved forever?

Tell me what you think! I will ask for this thread to be deleted if you all prefer to stick with the original one.

p.s. as some of you already know, I have FAILED the challenge already today and it's only the 1st of Feb!
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save 132,000 by 31 Dec 2018! 2011: 54,342 * 2012: 62,200 * 2013: 74,127 * 2014: 84,839 * 2015: 95,207 * 2016: 109,122 * 2017: 121,733 * 2018: 136,565
    eBay sales - 4,559.89 Cashback - 2,309.73
Page 1
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 1st Feb 10, 3:26 PM
    • 7,749 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    • 1st Feb 10, 3:26 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 3:26 PM
    OK I have GOT to join this having just posted on the thread for embarassing buys and realised that my habit has got way out of hand. Spent 20 in Superdrug and 20 in Lush at the weekend (although the latter one did include a birthday present) and also 10 on Avon (skin so soft body moisturiser was on offer and it's great after the pool). Anyway this is my budget for the month used up and I DO NOT NEED ANYTHING MORE. Which is not to say I won't buy anything more

Keep me in check please!!

• freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 1st Feb 10, 5:12 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,915 Thanks
    freyasmum
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:12 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:12 PM
    I think it's a great idea having a thread each month. The first thread is already very, very long and it may put newbies off starting to read it and subsequently joining in?

Aim for Feb - 0 I don't need anything.
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 1st Feb 10, 5:34 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:34 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:34 PM
    Great idea!

Aim for Feb...well, I have run out/running out of a couple of things. I plan to buy Night repair serum, and the super dooper new concentrated one too. I'm going to get them in duty free though...and have delayed the purchased to be sensible. (presuming they have them in duty free...they often don't have/run out of what I want!). I also think I'm going o need deodorant soon. Dh uses LOADS of it, and was grumbling about lack of choice this morning: you can imagine my reply I have three different bottles on the go....no HE has open two bottles before finishing the first (he used mine at weekends, and a proper boys one during the week at his other address). I'm also running very low on vit E oil, so may well buy more of that, and while over their get more of the oils I use for OCM..its not a short drive, and waiting till I've run out would be silly for fuel for the car.
    It sounds a lot, but if I stick to that I'll be pleased. we really are getting through a back supply of stuff, and interestingly I've found I'm less ''panicky'' about packing everything under the sun for nipping away...a huge change if I stick to it. I think not bringing loads of junk back might be different though!
    • trudij
    • By trudij 1st Feb 10, 5:42 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 12,295 Thanks
    trudij
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:42 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 5:42 PM
    I think its a good plan too - we dont half chat when we get distracted !!!

This month (is my birthday on the 18th - yay!!!) Im going to need moisturiser, im about 3/4 through a Johnsons one at the moment, but figure Id quite like to try something different - though I do have a soap and glory tinted one somewhere - but it doesnt like my skin,so when I find it Im planning on using that on my feet !!
    other than that though,I dont think i need anything,so just need to find a nice face moisturiser - all help with that would be fab !!!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 1st Feb 10, 6:04 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    • 1st Feb 10, 6:04 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 6:04 PM
    ^LOL... you'll end up with really tanned feet.
    Originally posted by CompletelyLost
    She best find it and use it now, while we are all still wearing thick tights and socks. I think its a great idea....I'm already having t fiht the urge to see if I have developed the ability to apply gradual tan moisturiser or fake tan over winter. I don't understand where the urge comes from to streak oneself, and yet suffer from it. I am the world's worst applicator of this stuff, and I like pale skin, so why oh why do I even think about trying???
    Last edited by lostinrates; 01-02-2010 at 6:35 PM.
    • trudij
    • By trudij 1st Feb 10, 6:23 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 12,295 Thanks
    trudij
    • 1st Feb 10, 6:23 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 6:23 PM
    I know - but Im never going to use it up if I dont - there arent many s&g things im not a fan of, but thats one of them !!!!

Im hoping that I dont go anywhere Im likely to have to strip off while ive got it on.....
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 1st Feb 10, 7:12 PM
    • 7,749 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    • 1st Feb 10, 7:12 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 7:12 PM
    Okay so I braved "the cupboard" and this is what I found:

7 skin so soft bath oils (500mls) - bought on offer with Avon
    1 skin so soft spray (which is what I just ordered online )
    3 body moisturisers including one tinted )
    7 bars soap
    6 shampoos (including a couple of 1 litre bottles)
    7 conditioners
    6 shower gels
    40 razors (bought more yesterday cos I thought I was out )
    Big bag of lush stuff
    Assorted eyeshadows, eyeliners, lipsticks etc
    3 lipscreens (I don't use them!)
    This doesn't even take me into the stuff I was bought for Christmas or the stuff I bought yesterday or the c**p in my gym bag and swimming bag. So you can see why I need a moritorium.

Less in the way of facial moisturisers than I expected, I've obviously been working my way through them. But deffo enough to take me through the month!

On a related topic do you think you can use out of date daily disposable contact lenses (2008 )

• chickywiggle
    • By chickywiggle 1st Feb 10, 7:33 PM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 26,910 Thanks
    chickywiggle
    • 1st Feb 10, 7:33 PM
    • 1st Feb 10, 7:33 PM
    hello, i agree new threads are great.......... tho am just gonna nip over and post the linky - to help peeps find it.
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 1st Feb 10, 7:34 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    No idea on the contact lenses- but welcome anyway!

Great to have a new thread Lovely to see so many made it

As I said in old thread my Feb goal is 5.00 for Feb, that will include one shampoo, mouthwash, and if OH needs a deoderant.

Good luck for Feb gals- and just remember DO YOU WANT IT- or NEED it
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
  • Jacjacjac
    I love the fact that this is a new thread and I am struggling to keep up with all the new posts already!
    I'm buying No More Toiletries, I'm Deluttering and I'm Losing Weight for 2010!
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 1st Feb 10, 7:36 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    p.s. as some of you already know, I have FAILED the challenge already today and it's only the 1st of Feb!
    Tara- although you keep a track of what you save- are you also keeping a track of what you spend?
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • Queen of NO MATTER WHAT
    I'll post my post from the other thread on here then...yay new thread to make massive, I wonder how many pages we'll get up to this time

just about to have a shower, am still washing with the boots shower gel given to me as part of a skin care study which I'm being paid 50 to complete, got to use it fr another week while they do certain tests on my arms. Once it's over I'll use it up as bubble bath and get back to my beloved s&g clean girls. Will use daily smooth all over after (except forearms), still using the tube I cut up the other day but I've prob only got a couple of days worth left.

and I'm going to have to take off the nail varnish I put on yesterday because it has chipped so bad even though I did a base coat and 2 coats, maybe I should have put a top coat on I'd have thought that no7 would have lasted a bit longer to be honest. I never pay full price for them, have only ever bought with a voucher but even so!

Hair wash in the morning, still workingmy way through frizz ease shampoo and conditioner from boots hair care voucher back in Nov/Dec.

Confession time...I did go into boots today an picked up a S&G body scrub, I walked round with it while having a good look at other stuff then eventually put it back because I was wondering what else I could buy to make it up to a fiver so I could get an olay voucher, then I thought to myself what am I doing, just put it down and get out...so I did. I wanted a distraction because I'm writing a crappy land law essay this week and I hate it.

I did end up breaking my no clothes challenge though by buying some diesel jeans in the charity shop for 3.99 (and some vintage style shoes for 2.99 and a next grey suit jacket for 2.99 )
    *wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*

No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!

NSD Jan 2/15
    NEED it
    Originally posted by lynzpower
    I don't think I'll honestly be able to say this for a long time

I'm hoping it will be less painful soon, I'm still finding it quite hard, I miss shopping for toiletries. I've got loads so I'm not depriving myself of anything, it just feels like I am

NSD Jan 2/15
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 1st Feb 10, 7:41 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    Confession time...I did go into boots today an picked up a S&G body scrub, I walked round with it while having a good look at other stuff then eventually put it back because I was wondering what else I could buy to make it up to a fiver so I could get an olay voucher, then I thought to myself what am I doing, just put it down and get out...so I did. I wanted a distraction because I'm writing a crappy land law essay this week and I hate it.
    GO YOU!!

OOh land law, it does sound interesting, what is the essay about ( know a little
    This Ive come to know...
  • mineallmine
    Hia,

Posting here now - good idea for a new thread.

Hia,

Just popping in quickly to say Hia! I used up over the last few days/week:

- Clarins red cream - this is the pricey one. It came as part of a gift set. Really nice. Really brightening but not that moisturising. Nice as a treat (probably at their bonus time in eg Debenhams when you get a sample size).

- Crabtree & Evelyn Goatmilk body cream. Nice smell. Dont think it did a lot to my skin though.

- Aveda damage repair shampoo - sample. Quite nice for a chemical free (ie no sodium laureth sulphate foaming agent). Mmm price may put me off. It brightened the colour in my hair though! In a good way!

- Colgate gel total - yuk! Hate this flavour and I keep finding the little buggars everywhere inthe house.

- Nivea cashmere moments shower gel. Ok. Probably not buy again. The Nivea shower gels have a strange consistency for me.

- M&S inspire perfume + body cream. I guiltily gave these to sis. Plus a Pecksniffs sample. I had got too much perfume at the moment and shes even more generous than me with perfume. Plus this will make room for Liz Earles one which is my not a surpise valentines present.... I also remember the other day that I remembered that I embarrassingly really like the Stunning Perfume by Katie Price. Its really nice and lasts really well. So I think it will be this and the Liz Earle (depending how that goes with wear) from now on.

I was tempted to get meeself to Sainsburys to get a Champneys mint shower gel. Then I found a half used mint shower gel by another make in the house! My stash keeps turning up in unexpected places. At least it fixed that buzz for stuff.

I had the buzz again today but luckily was not within reach of Boots/ Savers/ Superdrug. All I need to do is go upstairs and a small branch of Boots is available there!

A quick stock-take:
    Cleansers x 4
    Eye make up remover x 1 (in use!)
    Toners x 2
    Moisturisers x 3 (plus a Superdrug facial oil)
    Face masks x 3 (2 moisturising and 1 Mud one)
    Body lotion x 5
    Hand cream x 1
    Shampoo x 2 (err both in use and nearly used up!)
    Conditioner x 2 (one in use and nearly run out!)
    Serums x 2

So I will need to buy:
    eye make up remover
    hand cream
    shampoo
    conditioner

Of course depending on that face that I dont find any more STASH!
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 1st Feb 10, 7:46 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    I don't think I'll honestly be able to say this for a long time

I'm hoping it will be less painful soon, I'm still finding it quite hard, I miss shopping for toiletries. I've got loads so I'm not depriving myself of anything, it just feels like I am
    Originally posted by Queen of NO MATTER WHAT
    Honey, v interesting.

What is it that you specifically miss, what emotion is it that you are craving?

I have thought about mine and I think I am missing the "PROVIDING" ie making sure I & OH have what we need in and never run out. I clearly have got this from my mother ( see jans posts about my mother- as I have a frugal year, It will all come out ) and need to challenge my thinking.

I have tried to search out activities that give me that same sense of "providing" so I have been baking more and planning out a vegetable patch as I hope to be able to grow some more veg this year. THIS IS DEFINITELY HELPING

Unlike so many of you I have no internal monitor to tell me I "cant go out like that" I have a filthy job, so I need to be practical and clean. I shower at least twice a day and wash my hands a lot, use wipes etc.

Looking groomed isnt really my motivation but im definately feeling better for wearing more makeup and my skin is better to.o.
    This Ive come to know...
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 1st Feb 10, 7:48 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,915 Thanks
    freyasmum
    On a related topic do you think you can use out of date daily disposable contact lenses (2008 )
    Originally posted by belfastgirl23
    I wouldn't like to say, best check with someone who knows

Welcome to the challege - it's quite addictive
    GO YOU!!

OOh land law, it does sound interesting, what is the essay about ( know a little
    Originally posted by lynzpower
    Grandaughter buys house from grandmother in a rush purchase (unreg title), she does no surveys checks ect, when she turns up at house there are a number of pieces of correspondence from grandmother and other people, one person claiming to have constructive trust, one making claim to equitable easement, a legal lease of the garage for 10 years, a number of items of personal property, then disagreement about a fitted kitchen whether it is a fixture or chattle, something about grandfathers car which a local club believe he has donated but grandmother claims to have left to grandaughter (personal property?), also a loan between grandmother and friend which has been passed with property (also personal prop I think, unless there is an attainment?) I think that's everything, very boring, so need to address land charges, doctrine of notice, degree & purpose of annexation *yawn* I'm putting myself to sleep just thinking about it.

As you can see I love my law degree...NOT!

NSD Jan 2/15
    • chickywiggle
    • By chickywiggle 1st Feb 10, 7:52 PM
    • 5,139 Posts
    • 26,910 Thanks
    chickywiggle
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRR typical.

Like a good MSE'er I avoided the temptation by Mr B to use my 5 No7 voucher. TODAY (the day AFTER it ran out) I get out my nail varnishes for PYNM and............ 6 have gone funny!!!!!!!!! I know have 2 pinks, a red and about 6 clear basecoats (which have prob also gone funny thinking about it) left.

Am gonna be good tho and not buy another colour unless I am actually going out and NEED it.
    loves how my "I've been censored" signature has been censored. LOL. Happy Christmas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

7,565Users online

Martin's Twitter