Glow worm 30Ci combi boiler problems

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can please help me.

My Glow worm combi boiler has been having a few problems. I'm a new homeowner and have had the place for almost a year now and haven't had the boiler serviced yet although it was checked before I bought my flat.

The boiler is leaking water from the bottom - initially just a drop every week but very recently has been leaking every day. It needs re-pressurising whenever it is turned off or not used regularly. I have also had problems with the water temperature which used to be fine up until a couple of weeks ago but has dropped to a very low temperature when we use the shower.

I realise all this needs to be repaired but I'm worried it may cost a lot of money so I think it would it be better to go for British Gas or Npower's fixed repair price scheme at around £190. What do you think?

This may sound like a stupid question but if they repair the problems will I still need to have the boiler serviced or will they do the things it needs in the repair?

Thanks for your help!

Gina

Comments

• Mazcabs
    Mazcabs Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just seen your post as I was searching for a manual for the Glow worm 30i - and it seems like I have a similar problem.... did you manage to get it fixed in the end?
    Mum to 2 lovely boys who keep me busy.
  • jcorbygas
    jcorbygas Posts: 581
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have had this problem with a couple of Glowworms fitted in the last year or so.
    One customer was within her Glowworm warranty and the Glowworm engineer couldnt find out what was wrong, but the last out of warranty one we found was the flow link pipe which was showing signs of wear and the total cost to the customer was £55 labour and the part was £12.83 including VAT, so the fixed price BG repair would be a lot more than the repair is worth.
    Try a recommended independent engineer who is used to working on Glowworm boilers.
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Diverter valve is also very prone to leaking as well.

If this is the case you'd be better off with a fixed price repair.
  • lagi
    lagi Posts: 590 Forumite
    I have had similar problems, can you see where its coming from?

Or is it left side or right side.

Left side was mine and there is a release valve to let water out, it might just need moving.

Mine doesn't appear to be so hot either when i run a bath. Sometimes its scalding other times its warm, maybe i need some new parts as well. Not good as only had about 3 years.
  • amyst
    amyst Posts: 12 Forumite
    We have the same problem - we kept losing pressure and had to top it up very frequently, then our water inlet valve broke (wouldn't let water in anymore) - the plumber who came out said that our expansion vesel had gone which was why we keep losing pressure.

We have not had expansion vesel fixed yet, and we are still toping up the pressure manually (he fitted a new valve) - but now our shower is no where near as hot as it used to be.

I suspect that if we get the new expansion vesel fitted it will solve everything. We have a Premier account with Lloyds (small monthly payment for a load of benefits) and we have boiler cover with that - so we are going to claim on that shortly.
  • manclass_2
    manclass_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2010 at 11:36PM
    amyst wrote: »
    We have the same problem - we kept losing pressure and had to top it up very frequently, then our water inlet valve broke (wouldn't let water in anymore) - the plumber who came out said that our expansion vesel had gone which was why we keep losing pressure.

We have not had expansion vesel fixed yet, and we are still toping up the pressure manually (he fitted a new valve) - but now our shower is no where near as hot as it used to be.

I suspect that if we get the new expansion vesel fitted it will solve everything. We have a Premier account with Lloyds (small monthly payment for a load of benefits) and we have boiler cover with that - so we are going to claim on that shortly.

we had the same problem and turned out there was sludge in our (less than 3 year old, new build) system clogging everything up. It was all flushed out and an inhibitor put in and pressure has been fine (done before xmas) but ever since we have reduced hot water upstairs and even downstairs when we get hot water the flow of the water drops so it goes cold again - now waiting for a thermister to be fitted and hoping that works

On our new build estate there is a lot of boilers with the same sludge problem according to our boilerman and up until they had realised what it was, had replaced several boilers on the estate

Only thing that worries me is we have started to have the leak again but this time its not clear water but oily dark brown stuff that looks the same as the cleaning fluid they put in, but they said they had defo flushed it back out and are just going to put some washers on it or something - also why put a thermister on now when the hot water prob has only been since the system flush? Surely it is something to do with that perhaps not being flushed through properly? It is as if the system is struggling to do it's job properly, getting sticky - even the heating is taking longer to reach temp ever since the flushing
  • Yup same problem here.

Slow slow drip never really noticed. had to top up water as pressure kept dropping. Costs 50 ounds for someone to look at and they never found it. Eventually it was a valve and could have paid the 250 pounds for GW to come and fix. However part for 50 and another 50 to replace. New system in 2 years 2 months and GW refuse to pay.
    The part failed in an unreasonable time and therefore a good case thru small claims if necessary. Problem is the contract is with the original installer and it means claiming agaimnst him.
  • dstevo
    dstevo Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 September 2010 at 2:39PM
    Glow Worm 30ci plus combi boiler leaking from the rear left hand side. Looked the problem up on the internet with a view to buying the part and getting a plumber to fit. Saw posts in various forums stating this might be a problem with the micro accumulator tank, if so, Glow Worm have acknowledged this problem and carry out a free replacement. Phoned Glow Worm after sales and raised this issue with the young man on the phone. He went away to speak to his manager who confirmed this as the case. Had to pay a fixed repair fee of £250.00 for an engineer to come out to repair the boiler. Engineer came next day, confirmed it was the micro accumulator tank, made a phone call and I got a full refund that day. Another appointment was made as it is a 2 man job to install this part as the boiler has to be removed. A couple of days later, 2 engineers arrived at 9 o'clock and were finished by 10.30. If I hadn't been in, I would have said they hadn't come to do the repair, there was not one bit of mess anywhere, (not even the obligatory dirty hand prints on the outside case of the boiler!!) Well done Glow Worm for acknowledging this problem and providing a fix at your own expense, also for employing tradesmen that actually care about the work they do and having respect for the people's houses they visit:money::j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure