Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 15th Jan 10, 12:49 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,560Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?
    • 15th Jan 10, 12:49 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you take an eBay buyer at face value? 15th Jan 10 at 12:49 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

You’ve flogged a computer game on eBay for 20. Six weeks later, you receive an email from the buyer saying he just got back from holiday and the case arrived but had no disc in it – he wants a refund (the 45 day deadline for eBay complaints has gone). You’re pretty sure the disc was in there. Would you give a refund?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 15-01-2010 at 4:48 PM.
Page 1
    • lolarentt
    • By lolarentt 15th Jan 10, 12:54 PM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    lolarentt
    • 15th Jan 10, 12:54 PM
    • 15th Jan 10, 12:54 PM
    I'd know for sure if the disc was in there, always check before sending CDs DVDs etc out!
    In my early days as ebayer managed to cross pack 2 different VHS films so they went to the wrong guys, luckily one of them got in touch and I was able to persuade them to swop with each other, for a small PayPal credit to cover their post costs. Since then I ALWAYS check what's going out!

So...the answer's NO REFUND
    • GregtheHammer
    • By GregtheHammer 15th Jan 10, 1:38 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    GregtheHammer
    • 15th Jan 10, 1:38 PM
    • 15th Jan 10, 1:38 PM
    No refund, it if was a used game then I would have checked first. I would be suspicious of any first contact after 2 months
    • twotimes
    • By twotimes 15th Jan 10, 1:42 PM
    • 6,406 Posts
    • 668,739 Thanks
    twotimes
    • 15th Jan 10, 1:42 PM
    Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

You’ve flogged a computer game on eBay for 20. Two months later, you receive an email from the buyer saying he just got back from holiday and the case arrived but had no disc in it – he wants a refund (the 45 day deadline for eBay complaints has thus gone). You’re pretty sure the disc was in there. Would you give a refund?
    Originally posted by MSE Jenny
    "Pretty sure" - either it was in there or it wasn't!? Why would you ever sell something without checking what you were selling?

If the suggestion is that a Royal Mail worker has opened the parcel, opened the case and taken the disc from the case, why would they not just steal the whole thing? It's an unlikely explanation.

I probably wouldn't give a refund as I would know for certain that the disc was in there. The only reason I might give a refund is because I know that I would get a negative feedback from the buyer if I didn't.
  • milfhunter
    Of course not. As a business or private seller there is no obligation to after that length of time.
    If they can afford a 2month holiday, then they can afford to buy a new game.
  • DirtPoorGuy
    • 15th Jan 10, 1:43 PM
    • 15th Jan 10, 1:43 PM
    It's not really hypothetical given this recent post.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2175071&highlight=dvd
  • milfhunter
    • 15th Jan 10, 1:44 PM
    Also thinking on a bit... 60 days is also the feedback cutoff. I wouldn't even concern myself with the threat of a negative.
    • Bongedone
    • By Bongedone 15th Jan 10, 1:44 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Bongedone
    What about the post on here the other day. The game box was sealed but the disk was not in the box.
  • milfhunter
    • 15th Jan 10, 2:08 PM
    • 15th Jan 10, 2:08 PM
    It's 90 days, so longer than the two months.
    Originally posted by twotimes
    it changed about 18 months ago to a 60 day limit. Same time as negs were stopped for buyers.
    • twotimes
    • By twotimes 15th Jan 10, 2:17 PM
    • 6,406 Posts
    • 668,739 Thanks
    twotimes
    it changed about 18 months ago to a 60 day limit. Same time as negs were stopped for buyers.
    Originally posted by milfhunter
    Sorry, yeah, I did know that, don't know what I was thinking of.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 19th Jan 10, 10:17 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    Yep I would give a refund but I would make it clear that I think they are TAKING THE MICK and I would not deal with them again!!!

I would also report them to ebay as a possible fraudster.
    • jamiex
    • By jamiex 19th Jan 10, 10:19 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    jamiex
    I'd ask the buyer to submit a compensation claim with the Royal Mail, who would want all of the packaging as part of the investigation. I would tell them that I would fully support their claim and send proof of postage if I still had it.

Either they're not telling the truth and won't bother filing the claim, or they are and will but then hopefully the Royal Mail would compensate them.

Jamie
    • sunnysea83
    • By sunnysea83 19th Jan 10, 10:23 PM
    • 1,307 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    sunnysea83
    I would not, on holiday for a 6 week period!!! more like theyve completed the game and now want there money back or theyve realised they cant afford it!!
    • clarab
    • By clarab 19th Jan 10, 10:44 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    clarab
    I;ve stopped selling on ebay because I got three people trying to claim things in a row. (Just unlucky I guess)

One, a brand new with tags Monsoon dress was apparently "torn" but ony after theyd removed the tags (aye, right!) a second because a zip was broken on a brand new pair of boots (again, no way would i sell that) and a third was for a dvd.

I'm helpful by nature and found these run ins with the nastier sides of human nature quite offputing. Ebay has got it soooo wrong with their rules all being in favour of the buyer now.
    • adrienne1945
    • By adrienne1945 19th Jan 10, 11:10 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    adrienne1945
    I was annoyed to receive an email informing me that anything I sell in future I will have to wait 3 weeks for the money to be released by paypal. Yeah right. Nice little interest earner for them. Ive never had negative feedback although I don't sell much, and I've been with them for years. B****y cheek if you ask me But its the principal of it. As you say it's all in the buyers favour especially the sneaky types.
    • Absoluutbeginner
    • By Absoluutbeginner 19th Jan 10, 11:48 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Absoluutbeginner
    O no Adrienne, why are they witholding your money for 3 weeks? Do they say there has been some transgressions on your part? I ask because, like you, I have been with ebay for years, also selling bits and pieces on and off.
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 19th Jan 10, 11:52 PM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 45,572 Thanks
    Dinah93
    No I would not give a refund. Ebay is a joke for sellers lately, I would know the condition of the item I sent out and if it was there, and after such a long amount of time I'd assume they were taking the p.
    Debt January 1st 2018 65,773.65
    Debt November 1st 2018 55,564.51
    10,209.14/15.52% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
    • jeanmd
    • By jeanmd 20th Jan 10, 12:47 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 25,038 Thanks
    jeanmd
    I'd ask the buyer to submit a compensation claim with the Royal Mail, who would want all of the packaging as part of the investigation. I would tell them that I would fully support their claim and send proof of postage if I still had it.

Either they're not telling the truth and won't bother filing the claim, or they are and will but then hopefully the Royal Mail would compensate them.

Jamie
    Originally posted by jamiex
    I'd do the same as Jamie.
    I had this on Amazon, where someone said a book hadn't arrived four weeks after I'd posted it and wanted a refund. As I had the reciept I asked them to contact Royalmail and I would support their claim. I never heard anything after that.
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to mse.

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most" - Unknown Author
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 20th Jan 10, 3:07 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I wouldn't refund. Mind you, this sort of happened to me on eBay and I got banned and Paypal are chasing me through a debt agency as I point blank WILL NOT refund (the person in question actually admitted via email to lying and boasted on an internet forum after Paypal gave them a refund that they got a great item for free). I really hate eBay!!
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 20th Jan 10, 8:15 AM
    • 19,013 Posts
    • 13,960 Thanks
    Hintza
    I very nearly sent an empty box to Italy and the only reason I knew was the weight difference. Would I have believed the buyer?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter