Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Jan 10, 6:12 PM
    • 1,220Posts
    • 3,555Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Cheap gyms deals discussion
    • 12th Jan 10, 6:12 PM
    Cheap gyms deals discussion 12th Jan 10 at 6:12 PM

Hi all, we've written a Cheap Gyms guide to help slim down health club costs.

If you've tried the techniques mentioned in the guide, were you successful? Do you have any feedback on no frills gyms? Is there anything you'd add, or if you work for a gym, have you any insider tips?

Thanks
    for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 10-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Page 16
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 10th Jan 15, 4:23 AM
    • 12,394 Posts
    • 11,623 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I recently celebrated a major achievement: finally sticking to a steady regime of workouts three times a week, over two whole months. The great thing is I exercised at home and it didn't cost me a penny.

Sadly it has taken me 8 years to get round to this.

I used to exercise every lunchtime at a proper gym when I worked just 2 minutes away. After I left that job I was never able to get the motivation to exercise at home. Sometimes paying for a gym makes it easier to force yourself to go there often.

It has taken me 8 years of guilt and annoyance to finally get back into the habit. The secret seems to be watching violent action films (in 30 minute chunks) whilst exercising. Distraction helps immensely, and the high-octane nature of the film seems to work well too.

Anyone else had any breakthroughs with home-gym motivation?
    Originally posted by MerlinMags

Sounds like my idea of hell!

I found a few things that work for me:
    Attending classes regularly and making friends with those who attend the class with you. If you have more than a gruelling challenging gym class to go to (to see friends or just to not go through it alone) it makes it feel more bearable and eventually you don't mind the gruelling side if your friends are the reason you turn up. But you need to persevere before you really build a decent friendship worthy of turning up for.

Find the classes with all the charismatic gym instructors, if the group is a bit anti-social the instructor can often make the difference.

Get one of those fit-bit type things. I used to have a heart rate monitor by Polar (the wearable technology before it was in-vogue) but be careful not to let it rule your life, there is more to life than burning calories.

Reward yourself....with really decent gym gear- so you want to go back to the gym and test it out.
    Similarly treat the gym as a place to experiment with your sports-chic clothing. Feeling a million pounds/dollars/whatever will impact on your workout and you'll see an improvement. If you feel like your doing something productive you'll want to go back.

Get a gym-floor buddy. Many gyms operate a system where you can meet people like this, otherwise befriend someone else at the gym and see how things go in terms with prompting, tracking and spotting each other (gym terms).

Try to become more interested in how your body works. This worked best for me, there are so many ways to understand exercise, how amazing the human body is and how what you are doing is changing it. It gives you a sense of pride and raises your self esteem so you'll feel better about yourself and more likely to return.
    • alisont
    • By alisont 16th Jan 15, 11:26 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    alisont
    I'm looking to return to the gym afternoon hardly going for 20 years

There's a new Pump gym opening in Stourbridge and the opening offer is no joining fee and £9.99 a month which seems so good. It doesn't open for a month but you can pay your £9.99 now then a other one after the first month.

By work I've got Pure gym and Xercise 4 less gym but I'd rather get nearer home as the Pump gyms half way between work and home.
  • ElizaF1
    Free Puregym 2 day pass.
    Puregym in London gave me a free two day pass with the password THANXMUM.

Go to the website and order a normal one day pass and enter the promo code in the box indicated. The process goes wrong at the end ans they tell you that you have to ring them but they do mail a valid PIN to you email address for entry to the gym which is good for two days.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 6th Jan 16, 8:13 AM
    • 7,302 Posts
    • 10,721 Thanks
    surfsister
    payasugym is a good option for me I pay £7 to go to a spa/gym with a pool which costs £55 a day otherwise. also sign up a mate and u get £10 they get either a fiver or a half price pass depending on when you sign up.
    • Maggie Bob
    • By Maggie Bob 10th Aug 16, 11:03 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,070 Thanks
    Maggie Bob
    If you have a branch of Lululemon near you they usually run free Yoga (and sometimes running?) classes. The one in Edinburgh does yoga every Sunday morning with a different local instructor.
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
    • MattGb
    • By MattGb 18th Aug 16, 1:42 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    MattGb
    Like - Part of the question is what do you do at the gym? If you like use the gym for only classes joinflex.tv or classpass may be great alternatives. I think most of Flex's classes are free anyway
    • Berkshire_Yorkie
    • By Berkshire_Yorkie 28th Nov 16, 12:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Berkshire_Yorkie
    Parkwood Leisure
    First time poster here so I'll begin by asking forgiveness if I've posted in the wrong thread, and if if I have in some way unintentionally offended thread etiquette, my apologies.

I've been using my local sports centre to swim for over 20 years. They had a variety of memberships but usually I took out 1 or 3 month memberships. These suited me as during my working career I was sometimes away for several months at a time and since taking early retirement 18 months ago I've spent a lot of time travelling.

Recently however our sports centres have been taken over by Parkwood / Legacy Leisure - it's not very clear to me what the relationship is between these 2 bodies.

It's another of those wonderful contracts where a private Service Provider has negotiated a 20 year deal in secret, whose existence wasn't even announced until it was a done deal, and we tax-payers who fund it are not allowed to know what's in the deal - the usual story of "commercial confidentiality", as ever the first refuge of any SP wanting to hide a deal that's to their advantage at the expense of the tax-payer.

Anyway my particular beef is that they have now cancelled the previous options for one and three month memberships. I'm going away on Boxing Day and won't be back until mid-April. Clearly I don't want to continue a monthly direct debit to pay for facilities that I won't be using. I've been told that because I was an existing member before Parkwood took over I can cancel at a month's notice and without penalty. Accordingly I have given notice to cancel my membership w.e.f 1st Dec.

However I have also been informed that when I return and want to take up membership so that I resume swimming, I will have to commit to a 12-month contract. This leaves me with a problem. I've done a bit of internet research and the consensus seems to be that anything over a 12 month period would be unenforceable. A more cynical person might observe that Parkwood's 12 month limit exists because it's the most they can now get away with.

One way round this is simply to sign the contract, but just give notice anyway and cancel the Direct Debit when I travel, but would this lead to problems when I came back home from my next but one trip and want to resume swimming again??

I'd appreciate any views on this please, together with other's people's experience of Parkwood / Legacy Leisure after they have taken over publicly-funded leisure centres.

Thank you
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 29th Nov 16, 1:08 AM
    • 12,394 Posts
    • 11,623 Thanks
    jenniewb
    One way round this is simply to sign the contract, but just give notice anyway and cancel the Direct Debit when I travel, but would this lead to problems when I came back home from my next but one trip and want to resume swimming again??

Thank you
    Originally posted by Berkshire_Yorkie
    Troubles returning to the gym would be the least of your concern, they'd chase you for the "debt" could even sell the debt on to debt collectors who would add fees and interest and it could also affect your credit rating.

I'd say your options are to find a different gym where a pay as you go membership is possible, or pay the contract for the gym you are at but assume there will be 25% of the year you wont be able to use the gym for and factor it in to your costs. Sorry but if they now own the gym, they now make the rules.
    • kobracai
    • By kobracai 12th Dec 16, 11:46 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    kobracai
    anyone know a London gym that offers a cheap 2 weeks or 4 weeks pass over Christmas? my gym will have reduced hours and with work I won't be able to go to it... thanks

Fitness first has a one month pass for £105 !!!!!!! no way
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 13th Dec 16, 2:19 AM
    • 12,394 Posts
    • 11,623 Thanks
    jenniewb
    anyone know a London gym that offers a cheap 2 weeks or 4 weeks pass over Christmas? my gym will have reduced hours and with work I won't be able to go to it... thanks

Fitness first has a one month pass for £105 !!!!!!! no way
    Originally posted by kobracai
    Many of the no-frills 24 hour types offer a rolling monthly fee of around £25 a month, depends how close you are and what you need it for as to how viable it is for you, you'd get 4 weeks rather than 2 though.
    • webbexpress44
    • By webbexpress44 31st Dec 16, 1:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    webbexpress44
    Payasugym
    Be careful with payasgym. They changed the gyms available to me without notifying me, my nearest option went from 5min to an hour!

Obviously they kept charging me and I noticed late due to being ill and hence not going to the gym.
    • SelenaLouise
    • By SelenaLouise 11th Jan 17, 9:31 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    SelenaLouise
    Village Gym
    I am so very pleased with myself.

I got a free day pass from the Village Hotels Gym website and I went to there to try it out. Afterwards the Membership Advisor emailed me to see if I wanted to take up an ongoing membership with them and said it was £45 for a 12 month contact. I haggled with him and he eventually offered me £35 per month on a rolling month by month contract (normal price is £55!) and about £300 worth of vouchers. They are giving out £250 of vouchers to everyone who joins in January, but I still feel like I got a really good deal.

Saving of £240 per year.
    • lancscat
    • By lancscat 26th May 17, 11:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lancscat
    Cancelling Gym for Poor Service
    I just signed up to my local gym (hotel gym as no others close by where I live) and am having a similar issue. I signed up because I wanted to train after work each day (I'm a professional athlete with a strict regime), but whenever I go the place is full, and changing rooms are disgusting - always dirty, only one member of staff, so no gym machines available and pool full to capacity. It isn't a big gym in the first place. I had hoped to work with a personal trainer but the guy who did the induction for the gym (also the personal trainer) knew nothing, didn't even show me how the machines worked, and had no knowledge of medical or fitness needs, not even basic things. I tried to cancel membership within 31 days of signing up, but Harlands who deal with the direct debit are not letting me and say I have to continue paying for the next twelve months. I don't want to pay out for a gym I can't actually use.

Feel like the direct debit has taken away my rights to get a reply from the gym, or any kind of response or resolution to my initial concerns. Fed up of arriving to train, only to then have to go home without training because the place was full. They haven't replied to any correspondence during that 31 day period, or since. It was only when I cancelled the direct debit through my bank that I finally got a letter from Harlands, who have now emailed the gym and replied this morning to say the gym think it's not overly busy and therefore won't let me cancel membership.

anyone had any similar issues, how did you resolve them? Have written one last time and prepared to go to court with evidence if it comes to it, as I strongly feel that there are issues of health and safety. And it isn't right for them to keep signing up new members if they then turn them away because it is too busy.
    • anewman
    • By anewman 6th Aug 17, 10:03 PM
    • 8,782 Posts
    • 6,257 Thanks
    anewman
    I am looking at Xercise4Less and have a question about off-peak hours. It says off-peak hours are 10am to 4pm. Does this mean so long as I can get past the barrier just before 4pm I am ok? Or would I get turfed out when it turns 4pm?
    • lesshaste
    • By lesshaste 26th Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lesshaste
    Swim only deals at Banatyne?
    I really would like to have off peak swimming at our local Banatyne health club. Unfortunately it starts at 500 quid for the year. Are there any clever tricks to drive the price down?

I donít need any of the other facilities and am happy to wait if there is a time of year when special offers normally appears
    • MariaSanchez
    • By MariaSanchez 29th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MariaSanchez
    I workout home.

How can I post my workout program?
    • Smouthy
    • By Smouthy 11th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Smouthy
    I just wanted to say thankyou so much money savings expert I very nearly tied myself up in knots with gym memberships before I realised no contract monthly passes were a thing. I used your payasugym free day pass (thanks for that!) To try my local gym out. I just need to train for one month for a work related fitness test so don't need all these glorious contracts. Just a running machine basically! Following on from my day pass I bought a standard month pass that included a gym near my home and work. No probs, came and went as I pleased no pressure from any gym to sign up for more. Spent £22.... Nearly spent £92 some outlandish gym quote had I not found your site!! £70 up !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin