Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Triker
    • By Triker 29th Jun 06, 9:47 AM
    • 7,071Posts
    • 82,151Thanks
    Triker
    Selling empty house should I 'dress' it or leave it empty?
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:47 AM
    Selling empty house should I 'dress' it or leave it empty? 29th Jun 06 at 9:47 AM
    Hi all, I'm going to put my house on the market soon but it isn't where I live so it is currently standing completely empty? Obviously I would like the best price for it so wondered should I do a bit of dresing up or should I just leave it empty so buyers can use their own imagination. I have very limited funds so would only be able to put in a few bits of furniture that i will have to transport back to the house. Cheers.
Page 1
  • scoobiesnacks
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:54 AM
    • 29th Jun 06, 9:54 AM
    Most people don't/can't use their imagination! I've always 'dressed' properties I've sold because people see a lifestyle they can relate to or want to aspire to. It works everytime! You only have to do the minimum. A vase of white lillies always helps

Having said that the market where I am in SE London is so strong at the moment, I don't think it matters a lot. I guess it depends on your market and the amount of demand.
  • Astaroth
    • 29th Jun 06, 10:11 AM
    • 29th Jun 06, 10:11 AM
    There are some people who prefer to see a property empty but I believe the majority would prefer to see a bed in a bedroom to see how much space there will actually be.... I know some people talk about measuring your furnature and then "laying it out" in an empty room but personally I would fee a bit off laying out my complete living room furnature in a room with the estate agent watching me. Plus whilst this shows the floor space issue sometimes you need the "volume" consideration not just floor space.
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
    • clairehi
    • By clairehi 29th Jun 06, 11:07 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    clairehi
    • 29th Jun 06, 11:07 AM
    • 29th Jun 06, 11:07 AM
    Tricky one isnt it.

As a viewer, if done well, it does make the house look a lot better to see it furnished with the basiss

the problem is can you justify the spend/hassle/time to do a good job? if you have access to a van and can pick up v cheap furniture eg from auction that can be disguised with throws, it might be doable.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 29th Jun 06, 1:52 PM
    • 11,466 Posts
    • 30,905 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 29th Jun 06, 1:52 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 1:52 PM
    You can hire furniture to dress a house - might be worth looking into if you get no interest from viewing it empty. From what ive seen you can hire as little or as much as you need for as short or as long as you need. Might be worth putting beds in bedrooms and a table and chairs in the dining room etc - no need to "over dress"
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 29th Jun 06, 2:49 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Gambler
    • 29th Jun 06, 2:49 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 2:49 PM
    I am currently contemplating going to view a house that is on the market but empty. I've seen it on rightmove a few months back then it sold, so the sale must have fallen through.

£285K is the asking price and no chain, can you get a better deal on an empty house as it must be costing the vendors if they have already moved (i.e. 2 mortgages).
  • Ems*Honie
    • 29th Jun 06, 2:57 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 2:57 PM
    I am currently contemplating going to view a house that is on the market but empty. I've seen it on rightmove a few months back then it sold, so the sale must have fallen through.

285K is the asking price and no chain, can you get a better deal on an empty house as it must be costing the vendors if they have already moved (i.e. 2 mortgages).
    by Gambler

It may be they have moved in with someone, or that the person who owned the house has passed on, so it wouldn't signal a discount to me.

I prefer empty houses, but we are viewing with the intention of extending so its easier to see potential. Would be an idea to ensure it was clean through out, ie fresh paint and not musty.
    • clairehi
    • By clairehi 29th Jun 06, 3:26 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    clairehi
    • 29th Jun 06, 3:26 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 3:26 PM
    we moved out of our house before selling due to a relocation. rent on the new place was paid for by my employer so dont assume vendors will be desperate to sell if they have moved out - although they may be...
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 29th Jun 06, 4:17 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Gambler
    • 29th Jun 06, 4:17 PM
    • 29th Jun 06, 4:17 PM
    It may be they have moved in with someone, or that the person who owned the house has passed on, so it wouldn't signal a discount to me
    by Ems*Honie
    It's a new property, I'd guess less than 5 years old. Large 4 bed detached individually built.

The previous time it was on rightmove was with a different estatge agent and it was still furnished then.

Good point about relocation due to work though.
    Last edited by Gambler; 29-06-2006 at 4:19 PM.
    • jockettuk
    • By jockettuk 29th Jun 06, 4:28 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,843 Thanks
    jockettuk
    im going to be in this position in 5 weeks if my house doesnt sell in the meantime.. i spoke to my estate agent abt how i should leave the house.. I'm moving in with the oh and i wont be taking our beds, planned to skip them and wont be taking the dinning room table and chairs, the estate agent said if i wasnt leaving anything in the living room then best not to leave just a bed in the master room and a childs room the other bedroom will be empty..

I cant afford to dress the house so im going to leave a blank canvas for people to see, if a buyer likes the house they will love it with or without furniture in..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 29th Jun 06, 4:55 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Gambler
    I cant afford to dress the house so im going to leave a blank canvas for people to see, if a buyer likes the house they will love it with or without furniture in..
    by jockettuk
    I don't think it makes much difference. When we moved 2 years ago the house we bought was furnished. We didn't like the decor etc and have totally changed it.

It's unrecognisable from when the last people had it. Every room re-decorated in neutral colours. Every carpet replaced with neutral colours.

Carpet in bathroom and ensuite (uughh) replaced with cushionfloor.

All fitted wardrobes ripped out and replaced with stand alone.

Blimey this is making me think how much we have spent on it in 2 years and are unlikely to sell it for more than we paid.
  • GardenMillie
    I would always dress a house when selling it, you only need to watch House Doctor to see how little imagination people have. If a bedroom is advertised as a double it's better to see it with a double bed in etc.

Flowers always help and as much natural daylight as possible, make sure all the windows are sparkling.

Good luck.
  • aurora borealis
    I bought an empty house but I think that the space is deceiving. Empty houses look a lot smaller, I think.
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar
    • jockettuk
    • By jockettuk 29th Jun 06, 7:34 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 7,843 Thanks
    jockettuk
    its ok having fresh flowers but if your not visiting your empty house on a regular basis those flowers aint gonna be fresh for long.. dressing a house is great if you can afford it, my oh bought his house and we split the suite as it is so he got one and i got another, so my house half empty as it is as the spare bed went down for my daughter.

I enquired abt renting furniture and was quoted anything from 250 and 500 per month this is way above my budget.. im in no hurry to sell the house but would be nice to get it sold and finalised but in the meantime its somewere to put my weary head when visiting camp bed in hand lol
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
    • Triker
    • By Triker 29th Jun 06, 10:14 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 82,151 Thanks
    Triker
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I will have to see what the practicalities of taking stuff back to my house are. Admittedly though I'd love to put in a few key pieces of furniture, I'll only have to remove them again if and when it sells. So I'm a bit stuck.....will keep you posted.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 29th Jun 06, 10:29 PM
    • 26,124 Posts
    • 70,544 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It's only worth dressing if you can go the whole hog and make it look like a home. A few pieces of furniture dotted around make it look like either an ex-rental or a 'lick of paint and bit of furniture' property developer.

What is most important when selling an empty house is that the paintwork is good, holes are filled and everything is clean for people to easily see themselves plonking their own furniture down and moving right in.

PS. I'd definately see what the initial feedback is like before you even consider humping stuff around.
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 29th Jun 06, 10:33 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    I accept that an empty house doen't necessarily signal that the vendor is desperate, but it does indicate that someone is likely to be paying a mortgage without getting any benefit - and so in these instances it seems worth a buyer putting in a lower bid than the asking price, on the off-chance.

That is what I did when I bought my home. I viewed it - it looked a mess, unloved and unlived in and so I reduced the price I was willing to pay - and they accepted because clearly no-one else was willing to pay the full asking price either.

So, if I were you I would take no chances and dress the house (as cheaply as possible).

You might want to try your local freecycle group for free secondhand furniture, and your local charity shop for curtains, bedding etc. These days people give away really, really good quality stuff!

Of course, you can then give it all away again once your house is sold!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 29th Jun 06, 10:38 PM
    • 26,124 Posts
    • 70,544 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Cheap or clearly second-hand, mismatched furniture is not going to do anything for the saleability of your house at all!

It's easy enough to scale down what you currently live with and move it back to the house you're selling, but it's still virtualy impossible to make it look like a home without it actually being one or having a budget to rival the big housebuilders!
    • Triker
    • By Triker 29th Jun 06, 10:48 PM
    • 7,071 Posts
    • 82,151 Thanks
    Triker
    Ummm it's a sticky one, I now happen to live about 250 miles away from the house and I do wish to sell but I'm not desperate, if that makes sense. I could look at renting but need to be extra careful re capital gains. I may just go with the empty and clean option. It may be a 'try it and see what happens' scene.
    • Rakesh.Chauhan
    • By Rakesh.Chauhan 29th Jun 06, 10:51 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Rakesh.Chauhan
    Argos 14 day guarentee
    Why not just buy furniture from Argos, let people view the flat and just before the 14day period of buying the stuff from Argos is over, return it and get your money back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

709Posts Today

5,084Users online

Martin's Twitter