Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    chrisoftoday
    Any experience with barclays phone insurance?
    • 5th Jan 10, 4:59 PM
    Any experience with barclays phone insurance? 5th Jan 10 at 4:59 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our fully researched Mobile Phone Insurance guide may help.

Back to the original post...

I am looking into getting an iPhone and am looking at switching to Barclays Current Account Plus to get the phone insured for the £5 a month charge for the account, rather than having to pay £12 a month for insurance from Vodafone.

Was just wondering if anyone has had problems making a claim through Barclays and if anyone can tell me that an iPhone would definitely be covered? I have read their policy and it says that all "phones" are covered but have also read that some insurers are slightly picky over what actually classifies as a phone.

Thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 05-02-2014 at 5:22 PM.
Page 4
    • secretmachines
    • By secretmachines 22nd Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    secretmachines
    made a claim via Lifestyle Group / Barclays over a month ago and have had no contact from them!

shocking service, currently in the process of trying to get some compensation from Barclays as i've paid for a service which i've not received. though they seem keen to point the blame at Lifestyle, even though i've got the Tech Pack through Barclays. a sorry mess.

i've since got the phone sorted elsewhere.

any tips?
    • Ben1963
    • By Ben1963 9th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ben1963
    Avoid Avoid at any cost
    DO NOT GET INTO A NIGHTMARE BY TAKING BARCLAYS TECH PACK INSURANCE, OR ANY OTHER THAT IS BY LIFESTYLE GROUP.
    I like many others paid £9.50 per month for Barclays Tech Pack, I believe other banks like nation wide also deal with the same company Lifestyle Group. They are very polite on the phone... there is a sinister reason for that...
    My car was broken into and my hidden phone stolen, the police were on the scene before me, the car was locked as I left to use a toilet, this all took place in less than 5 minutes.
    Barclays...or Lifestyle Group sent a claim form which I filled and posted together with original O2 contract and invoice that detailed the phones spec.
    However I was contacted again to send more proof of the phone and ownership which I did by taking a picture of the phone box. They rejected my claim by saying that it was my rucksack that attracted the thieves, I argued that if that was the case why the thieves did not take my rucksack which had my iPad and laptop in there. They said they would go back and review the case. They rejected it again after an hour, this time the reason was totally different, apparently THE PHONE HAD TO BE SAFELY LOCKED AWAY INSIDE THE CAR “IF POSSIBLE”... I had already informed Lifestyle Group details of my car, my car does not have a lockable compartment inside.
    Would Barclays help?? Not at all since any complaints will have to be made to Lifestyle Group .
    I am now without a mobile phone and £800 out of pocket. Do your research first, this company will do anything in its power to not payout.
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    DO NOT GET INTO A NIGHTMARE BY TAKING BARCLAYS TECH PACK INSURANCE, OR ANY OTHER THAT IS BY LIFESTYLE GROUP.

I like many others paid £9.50 per month for Barclays Tech Pack, I believe other banks like nation wide also deal with the same company Lifestyle Group. They are very polite on the phone... there is a sinister reason for that...

My car was broken into and my hidden phone stolen, the police were on the scene before me, the car was locked as I left to use a toilet, this all took place in less than 5 minutes.

Barclays...or Lifestyle Group sent a claim form which I filled and posted together with original O2 contract and invoice that detailed the phones spec.

However I was contacted again to send more proof of the phone and ownership which I did by taking a picture of the phone box. They rejected my claim by saying that it was my rucksack that attracted the thieves, I argued that if that was the case why the thieves did not take my rucksack which had my iPad and laptop in there.

They said they would go back and review the case. They rejected it again after an hour, this time the reason was totally different, apparently THE PHONE HAD TO BE SAFELY LOCKED AWAY INSIDE THE CAR !!!8220;IF POSSIBLE!!!8221;... I had already informed Lifestyle Group details of my car, my car does not have a lockable compartment inside.

Would Barclays help?? Not at all since any complaints will have to be made to Lifestyle Group .

I am now without a mobile phone and £800 out of pocket. Do your research first, this company will do anything in its power to not payout.
    Originally posted by Ben1963
    So exactly where did you leave the phone?
    Last edited by d123; 09-01-2018 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Edited quote into paragraphs to make quote easier to read
    ====
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 9th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    gycraig
    Actually quite a common term in most phone insurances is that it won’t be covered for being left in a car unless in the boot or glove box.

Why would you leave so many valuables in a car :S
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    It probably raised suspicions if the phone was !!!8220;hidden!!!8221; and still stolen while a backpack in the open with an iPad in it wasn!!!8217;t taken...
    ====
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 9th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2,500 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    flashg67
    I've made several phone claims (teenagers eh!) via Lifestyle for lost /stolen/damaged phones but you are expected to take 'reasonable' care of them. Where was the phone 'hidden' - if in a glove box etc, that's the first place a thief would look - perhaps they consider it being unlocked in an 'obvious; place as not taking reasonable care?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,012Posts Today

8,411Users online

Martin's Twitter