Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Pinky15
    You know you're a money saver when.....
    • 5th Jan 10, 4:17 PM
    You know you're a money saver when..... 5th Jan 10 at 4:17 PM
    I saw a similar thread a while back and thought it would be fun to start a new one for 2010!

You know your a money saver when....
    - You get excited about 20p you found on the path.
    - Your sister gives you a bag, of half empty bubble bath, and shampoos and it makes your week (was very excited last week lol)
    - The first thing you ask mum when she orders somethibg online was ... ".. did you go through Quidco" and when she replies no have a mild heart attack!
    - Your family think BOGOF is a brand!
    - Money Saver Expert is your homepage - x

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 12-01-2010 at 1:27 PM.

Nov 2012 - Loan 1200, CC1 1450
    CC2 1300, CC3 100
    Next 200

I will get rid!!!!
Page 1
  • nodwah
    • 5th Jan 10, 4:22 PM
    • 5th Jan 10, 4:22 PM
    What about picking up pennies in the street!?!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • rachbc
    • 5th Jan 10, 4:31 PM
    you consider risking life and limb to go to the supermarket because you reckon there will be a load of whoopsies because no other idiots will go shopping in a blizzard!
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 5th Jan 10, 4:31 PM
    • 2,557 Posts
    • 32,305 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    When you think ....'Mmmm what can I make with this?' rather than throw something out Not food as we all know about the merits of bottom of the fridge soup.

When you refuse to put the new toothpaste out until the old tube has been cut open & every bit of toothpaste has been used

When the children ask you eagerly how much you're under budget on the current months Grocery Challenge!

When you don't have any more debts piling up because you've seen the light and realise that it's not worth it all
    • budgeteer
    • By budgeteer 5th Jan 10, 4:39 PM
    • 682 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    budgeteer
    • 5th Jan 10, 4:39 PM
    • 5th Jan 10, 4:39 PM
    When you only visit the charity shop on a Saturday because you know the men's-wear will be half-price.
    • Mrs Boo Boo
    • By Mrs Boo Boo 5th Jan 10, 5:01 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    Mrs Boo Boo
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:01 PM
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:01 PM
    Oh my I can identify with all the above posts. My friend lent me a book called 'The Secret' which is basically about positive affirmations. One of my affirmations for 2010 is 'I am rich' but no only in the financial sense.
    Well have found 26p already including 5p in the launderette!
    Found 10 in the receipts for shredding box.
    Have enough toiletries as Christmas presents to last a long time.
    Am still using shampoo left by a friend when she stayed in the summer.
    The lady in LIDL gave me a smoked bacon loin with a sell-by date of today,yesterday.Now in freezer.
    Have made soup for luches all this week using up red lentils in store cupboard.
    Enjoyed beautiful sunsets over Christmas.
    Went for a lovely walk yesterday, with a friend.
    Cut up all my old Christmas and birthday cards for competition postcards.
    Life is sweet
    • jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 5th Jan 10, 5:12 PM
    • 1,112 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    jammy dodger
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:12 PM
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:12 PM
    the family say my motto when i see something in the shops is ...."Don't buy it i'll see if i can make it ...."

i usually do and it usually tastes a whole lot better and i know what all t he ingredients are
    • MyRubyRed
    • By MyRubyRed 5th Jan 10, 5:21 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    MyRubyRed
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:21 PM
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:21 PM
    I am VERY depressed. I'm addicted to this site but I am a really crap cook and my attempts to cook good cheap wholesome food is ending up costing me more as I'm throwing away more than we eat.
    I can feed my family on beans on toast or egg and chips ...and save money but I want to be able to put things in the oven or slow cooker or whatever that turn out nice. The only thing I have mastered is broth and nice as it is there is only so much you can eat. Is any one in the same situation??
  • Reverbe
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:23 PM
    • 5th Jan 10, 5:23 PM
    What about picking up pennies in the street!?!
    Originally posted by nodwah
    That will be me. I found a penny today and got excited
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • tigerlily
    I saw a similar thread a while back and thought it would be fun to start a new one for 2010!

You know your a money saver when....

- Money Saver Expert is your homepage - x
    Originally posted by Pinky15

Erm.......MSE is actually my homepage!!! LOL I guess I am converted to the church of Moneysaving!!
    Debt free = December 2010...as of March 2006 it is now January 2010..... as of December 2008 it is now December 2009 hopefully sooner!!
    DEBT FREE January 2012, took longer but I got there, all by myself, through sheer hard work and pride!
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 5th Jan 10, 5:44 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,872 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    When everyones rushing to the shops to get milk bread etc. and you buy flour, suet, lard, dried milk etc

When you keep a pot with about 10 leftover peas in it in the fridge to go in tomorrows dinner hehehe

When the idea of buying a special 'bathroom cleaner' is anathema to you!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
    • jamanda
    • By jamanda 5th Jan 10, 5:57 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 7,953 Thanks
    jamanda
    When you get to the back door with a couple of stale crusts to throw out for the birds, then change your mind and make some stuffing.

(Poor birds)
  • Queen of NO MATTER WHAT

When you keep a pot with about 10 leftover peas in it in the fridge to go in tomorrows dinner hehehe
    Originally posted by beautiful_ravens
    I do this it's rare than food gets wasted in our house

I also love finding money on the floor, even if it's just a penny

I cut my tubes of body butter up so I can get every last scrap out of them
    *wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*

No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!

NSD Jan 2/15
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 5th Jan 10, 6:20 PM
    • 26,335 Posts
    • 107,644 Thanks
    candygirl
    When I find myself squashing loo rolls to make em last longer, watering my shampoos and shower gel down, and using up all my left overs to make new dishesI also have the Quidco fits when peeps don't use it
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • delain
    • By delain 5th Jan 10, 6:25 PM
    • 7,494 Posts
    • 16,773 Thanks
    delain
    You head straight for the reduced aisle of the shop

Mum of several with a twisted sense of humour and a laundry obsession
  • knithryn
    I am VERY depressed. I'm addicted to this site but I am a really crap cook and my attempts to cook good cheap wholesome food is ending up costing me more as I'm throwing away more than we eat.
    I can feed my family on beans on toast or egg and chips ...and save money but I want to be able to put things in the oven or slow cooker or whatever that turn out nice. The only thing I have mastered is broth and nice as it is there is only so much you can eat. Is any one in the same situation??
    Originally posted by MyRubyRed
    Aw MyRubyRed.... I feel for you. But hey, you've GOT a slowcooker, and you aren't afraid to use it...
    Buy some cheap leg/thigh joints, put them in the slowcooker with a jar of bought sauce. Add a few veg into the sauce, eg curry sauce and add onions and tomatoes, or a tomato sauce and add slices of pepper. (You can always buy a cheap jar of sauce). I know it's a bit of a cheat, but it might give you confidence.
    anyway. I do it. So it's OK.
    That will get you started. Then you can start inventing your own sauces, like a tin of tomatoes, and stuff.
  • Pinky15
    Erm.......MSE is actually my homepage!!! LOL I guess I am converted to the church of Moneysaving!!
    Originally posted by tigerlily
    Yep -your def in the gang then tigerlily lol x

CC2 1300, CC3 100
    Next 200

I will get rid!!!!
  • Pinky15
    Originally posted by MyRubyRed
    Yep I am with your there rubyred! I am a really carp cook - I really struggle! I am planning on roping MIL into some cooking lessons. i really admire some of the people here who make some delicious sounding dishes - hhhmm maybe one day lol x

CC2 1300, CC3 100
    Next 200

I will get rid!!!!
  • yummyhoney
    You head straight for the reduced aisle of the shop
    Originally posted by delain
    i do that too..at the stage now where no one believes i've bought something at full price!!!
    Dont cry because it's over,
    Smile because it happened.

sealed pot challenge 3 #865
    Jan NSD 10/10 Jan groc. challenge 169.18/400
    Dec NSD ??/10 Dec.grocery challenge 230/400:rolleyes:
    • mummyroysof3
    • By mummyroysof3 5th Jan 10, 6:59 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 25,275 Thanks
    mummyroysof3
    how do i make MSE my home page?

charlotte x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,303Users online

Martin's Twitter