Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Nine_Lives
    Royal Fail postal service opening my mail !! What to do?
    • 2nd Jan 10, 12:23 PM
    Royal Fail postal service opening my mail !! What to do? 2nd Jan 10 at 12:23 PM
    First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section, i wasn't sure where it should go.

I'm sick of Royal Fail opening my post. No the post hasn't been accidentally damaged by the sorting machines or any of that, it has been deliberately opened & hasn't been the first time. I suspect the thieving sorting people are looking for cash/cheques in envelopes.

Has happened once again & this time it's with my car insurance renewal documents. WHAT insurance company sends money with these documents? There's a big whopping picture of the Admiral man on the back for Christ's sake!! Nobody sends money with these documents.

The damage: some scrote has taken either a knife or a letter opener to the side of the envelope. The bit at the top you seal & fold is still intact, but there's a perfect slit down the side running the entire length so they could get documents out & have a look.
    There is also a slit up 2-thirds of the other side.

I doubt it's going to do any good now, but what can i do about this? What line can i go down to complain about this as it's not the first time & i'm getting sick of it.
Page 1
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 2nd Jan 10, 1:20 PM
    • 13,806 Posts
    • 19,180 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 2nd Jan 10, 1:20 PM
    • 2nd Jan 10, 1:20 PM
    I'd try contacting the Royal Mail customer services department first, there's a section about mail being damaged when received here that may help.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
  • Nine_Lives
    • 2nd Jan 10, 4:10 PM
    • 2nd Jan 10, 4:10 PM
    Looked in there. It's difficult to find what avenue to pick.

A lot of it seems to be about claims & compensation. I doubt i'd be eligible for any.

Also, questions asked as a minimum include where was it posted from. How on earth would i know? Cardiff is where Admiral seem to be based, but Cardiff is hardly a little village.
    • TakeittotheLimit.
    • By TakeittotheLimit. 3rd Jan 10, 3:46 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    TakeittotheLimit.
    • 3rd Jan 10, 3:46 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 3:46 PM
    If you actually think that somebody is tampering with your mail,your first port of call should be to ring up your local delivery office/sorting office and complain,if you get no joy there ring the crappy customer care line up and don`t let them fob you off with the `it must have come undone in a machine routine`tell them it is happening on a regular basis.

Usually in these situations the Post Office with your permission will do a sting operation with their Investigation Branch where they will post some money to you in an envolope,if the perp is indeed opening your mail in a Royal Fails office they will be caught and videoed for evidence,if it`s your actually postie doing it then he could be opening it anywhere,in his car, at home then delivering it the next day after having a good shifty to see if it`s money or useful infromation and would be harder to catch,but eventually will be.
    "Life is short even in its longest days".
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Jan 10, 4:23 PM
    • 35,237 Posts
    • 29,921 Thanks
    custardy
    • 3rd Jan 10, 4:23 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 4:23 PM
    First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section, i wasn't sure where it should go.

I'm sick of Royal Fail opening my post. No the post hasn't been accidentally damaged by the sorting machines or any of that, it has been deliberately opened & hasn't been the first time. I suspect the thieving sorting people are looking for cash/cheques in envelopes.

Has happened once again & this time it's with my car insurance renewal documents. WHAT insurance company sends money with these documents? There's a big whopping picture of the Admiral man on the back for Christ's sake!! Nobody sends money with these documents.

The damage: some scrote has taken either a knife or a letter opener to the side of the envelope. The bit at the top you seal & fold is still intact, but there's a perfect slit down the side running the entire length so they could get documents out & have a look.
    There is also a slit up 2-thirds of the other side.

I doubt it's going to do any good now, but what can i do about this? What line can i go down to complain about this as it's not the first time & i'm getting sick of it.
    Originally posted by K_P83
    you realise this is exactly what can happen in the sorting machines?
    a very clean slice right along the edge
    often seen with envelopes that are i bit chuncky through documents inside

another example where the letter is open at the glued part is machine sealed envelopes where 2 envelopes get stuck together at the top
    seperate them and one or both letters have been 'opened'
  • cheapscate
    • 3rd Jan 10, 5:20 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 5:20 PM
    I have had my mail tampered with for the last couple of years - I try to make sure that nothing of any value gets sent in an envelope to me. I have complained to my local RM depot and to the actual postman. The RM customer services are a complete waste of time and as for the form that they send out - well that is a nightmare and not appropriate (also they want the sender to complete the form not the recepient)

In April of last year I posted the following on a different thread;
    "I had post being taken and even had envelopes opened and things taken out and then the empty envelope delivered! I was a part of the Royal Mail Surveys but after I reported that their envelopes had been tampered with (and even their rewards being taken out of envelopes, badly resealed and then shoved through the door!) they removed me from their panel as it all depends upon no one knowing you are a part of it. Reporting stolen items to the RM was a nightmare - the form is long, complicated and does not appear to be designed for reporting theft. I also complained to the sorting office and my own postman ...still things are tampered with and go missing."

Nothing has changed since I posted this - Royal Mail could not care less about their customers.

Custardy puts up a good defence for his employers - I hope they appreciate his loyalty.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Jan 10, 5:30 PM
    • 35,237 Posts
    • 29,921 Thanks
    custardy
    • 3rd Jan 10, 5:30 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 5:30 PM
    I have had my mail tampered with for the last couple of years - I try to make sure that nothing of any value gets sent in an envelope to me. I have complained to my local RM depot and to the actual postman. The RM customer services are a complete waste of time and as for the form that they send out - well that is a nightmare and not appropriate (also they want the sender to complete the form not the recepient)

In April of last year I posted the following on a different thread;
    "I had post being taken and even had envelopes opened and things taken out and then the empty envelope delivered! I was a part of the Royal Mail Surveys but after I reported that their envelopes had been tampered with (and even their rewards being taken out of envelopes, badly resealed and then shoved through the door!) they removed me from their panel as it all depends upon no one knowing you are a part of it. Reporting stolen items to the RM was a nightmare - the form is long, complicated and does not appear to be designed for reporting theft. I also complained to the sorting office and my own postman ...still things are tampered with and go missing."

Nothing has changed since I posted this - Royal Mail could not care less about their customers.

Custardy puts up a good defence for his employers - I hope they appreciate his loyalty.
    Originally posted by cheapscate

interestingly i can probably answer this.a whole raft of managers were suspended in RM (ive yet to hear of any being sacked or prosecuted :rolleyes: ) for interfering with mail,delaying mail & collections or making extra deliveries/collections for the mail survey
    these managers receive bonuses for meeting the QOS targets met through the survey results :rolleyes:

as for defending RM,in general i dont defend RM
    i mainly explain how and why things happen or should happen
    as for loyalty,i am on the cusp of being sacked the the sickness procedure so i would say no
    Last edited by custardy; 03-01-2010 at 5:47 PM.
    • Kayteehee
    • By Kayteehee 3rd Jan 10, 5:45 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Kayteehee
    • 3rd Jan 10, 5:45 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 5:45 PM
    My Mum sent some wedding cake through the post to her friend who couldn't make it. She recieved the package, which had a half eaten jacobs cracker in it and a note saying 'that was delicious, thank you' and a smiley face. Though slightly amusing, what kinda ridiculous service is that?!?!!?!

She also has had a memory card stolen from her envelope, they still sent it on, luckely ebayer replaced it with whatever business insurance he had.

My best friend who I don't see very often sent me a christmas gift a month ago, just from Yorkshire to the North East, and it hasn't arrived!
    Professional Photographer with a love of bargain hunting.. Been a moneysavingexpert since 2006 :-D

Roadkill Rebel -Started 6/2/16 - 0.05 Remember you're a womble #6 - 18.17 SPC Number 124 - Hoping to save 1500
  • Nine_Lives
    • 3rd Jan 10, 8:37 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 8:37 PM
    Legit machine doings, or dodgy knife slicing? You decide:

One side.....

And then the other side....
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 3rd Jan 10, 8:42 PM
    • 20,777 Posts
    • 12,867 Thanks
    dacouch
    Could me looking for identity details as car insurers often send proposal forms with your details including date of birth and also a direct debit with all of your bank details...
  • Kit603
    Strangely enough... I got my renewal through from Admiral this morning (same style envelope) and I had slits in exactly the same places and was convinced that it was posty going through my mail as I also had some parcels go missing over christmas. But, with yours being the same... maybe it really is the machines????
    Success' of 2012:
    -
    Debts:
    Student Loans: 28,758

• Nine_Lives
    Personally, i doubt it. I'm in agreement with dacouch.

Well as i don't find the RoyalFail website very helpful, i'm going to have to go into my local Post Office on Tuesday when i get some time off work & ask them what they advise as i'm still not happy about this.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Jan 10, 9:31 PM
    • 35,237 Posts
    • 29,921 Thanks
    custardy
    whats ther postage on the envelope?
  • Nine_Lives
    It says "Advanced Mail Second Class"
    • edgex
    • By edgex 4th Jan 10, 8:13 AM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 4,842 Thanks
    edgex
    K_P83:
    that looks like its the envelope thats come apart somewhere in the entire mail system. the edges of the envelope are actually weaker, as when paper is folded & creased, it breaks the fibres along that line, weakening it.

youll need to give them all the information on the envelope, as not all post is sorted by RM, business post can be collected & sorted by private firms, then put into the RM system.

MuckyDucky:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=15500181&mediaId=15500191

yes, they can & will open items being sent through the postal system
    • davidlizard
    • By davidlizard 4th Jan 10, 11:35 AM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,607 Thanks
    davidlizard
    We have exactly this problem - just about anything of interest arrives opened. Same with the neighbours post.

I have contacted the police who told me it was a royal mail issue and we should approach them. We contact the royal mail and get a fob off with "only a tiny proportion of the post is affected" and "anything of value should be sent registered post".

I recommend:

1. Switch as many accounts (banks, insurance) to a paperless/online service.
    2. Let all friends know that you have a serious theft problem and they should not send anything of value.
    3. Tell banks/credit card companies that you have a serious theft problem and request updated cards be collected from your branch.
  • cheapscate
    I recommend:

1. Switch as many accounts (banks, insurance) to a paperless/online service.
    2. Let all friends know that you have a serious theft problem and they should not send anything of value.
    3. Tell banks/credit card companies that you have a serious theft problem and request updated cards be collected from your branch.
    Originally posted by davidlizard

good advice! I also ask people to send obvious birthday cards (often coloured envelopes) inside a plain envelope to disguise what it is - even if there is nothing included with the cards I dont want them opened by Royal Mail to check.

Another idea is to have things sent to addresses that don't have their mail tampered with - perhaps a relative or work address.
  • moneysaver100
    Our mail is being opened too !
    Hi

I am really glad I found this thread - I am getting a little frustrated with Royal Mail opening my letters too !

Last year I noticed that some of my parcels were being opened, usually the ones delivered to the house directly were OK, but often when I had to go pick them up form the sorting office I would find they were partially opened.

So I started looking more closely at stuff I collected and noticed that parcels were often opened "just enough" to reveal the contents. So for example I bought a metal detector and the packaging was ripped just enough to reveal the name of the item on the box. This happened a few times, always the parcel was opened just enough to reveal its contents, obviously intentionally, and usually when it had sat in my local sorting office a few days !

Then in December stuff started going missing, 2 cards one containing a cheque and the other cash (yes I know I know !) both disappeared off the face of the earth. I rang and put in a formal complaint, and Royal Mail put a watch on my Mail.

Then this morning I got a letter that’s been intentionally opened and read (there was a card sent folded up inside the letter, the card is now separate). Its definitely been torn open, far too precise for an accident, the contents have been removed, shuffled through and put back.

I rang Royal Mail again, quoted the reference from my last complaint and asked them if "the Watch" they put on had spotted anything.

Guess what, they had no record of a watch being in place, even though they did have a record of them promising to do that for me in December.

Scary stuff, I don’t like the thought of someone (perhaps someone who knows me by name ?) going through my mail and stealing whatever he likes. And Royal Mail seem powerless to stop them !!!

Finally in this rant, I did once get a parcel that had been damaged/opened by a machine fault, Royal Mail had repackaged it in plastic and had put a covering letter with it apologising and offering to pay for any damage (there was none). Which I thought was pretty straight of them.

Its EASY to spot when a letter or parcel has been partially or fully opened during the delivery process, a good postie or sorting office will follow procedure and repackage the item with a covering letter. A bad postie or sorting office will have been the ones who actually OPENED it in the first place and will thus try and pretend it never happened.

There is no doubt at all in our minds that someone, probably at our local sorting office, is opening our mail and stealing anything valuable (our bills are never opened/stolen sadly), and we will do everything in our power to catch them and prosecute them to the full extent of the law.
    Last edited by moneysaver100; 04-01-2010 at 1:36 PM. Reason: spelling !
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jan 10, 2:08 PM
    • 35,237 Posts
    • 29,921 Thanks
    custardy
    [FONT=Verdana]Its EASY to spot when a letter or parcel has been partially or fully opened during the delivery process, a good postie or sorting office will follow procedure and repackage the item with a covering letter. A bad postie or sorting office will have been the ones who actually OPENED it in the first place and will thus try and pretend it never happened.[/FONT]

There is no doubt at all in our minds that someone, probably at our local sorting office, is opening our mail and stealing anything valuable (our bills are never opened/stolen sadly), and we will do everything in our power to catch them and prosecute them to the full extent of the law.
    Originally posted by moneysaver100
    great in theory but as is often the case we have no damage bags or bags of the right size
    also what if the package splits/tears in your bag on delivery? no damage bags on the street
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jan 10, 2:10 PM
    • 35,237 Posts
    • 29,921 Thanks
    custardy
    It says "Advanced Mail Second Class"
    Originally posted by K_P83
    so not handled its whole journey via royal mail then
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

6,886Users online

Martin's Twitter