Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 25th Dec 09, 10:08 AM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Old Style Christmas Presents
    • 25th Dec 09, 10:08 AM
    Old Style Christmas Presents 25th Dec 09 at 10:08 AM
    I've had:
    • Fabbo nutcrackers from Lakeland
    • 100 knitted and crocheted flowers book (big recommendations from the OS ladies )
    • Rowan yarn to crochet a scarf
    • Wooden handled trowel
    • Jane Grigson's Pork and Charcuterie book (essential reading for when we get our next pig)
    Did you get any Old Style gifts under your

Penny. x
    Last edited by Penelope Penguin; 26-12-2009 at 9:24 AM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 1
  • Hardup Hester
    • 25th Dec 09, 10:21 AM
    • 25th Dec 09, 10:21 AM
    Not exactly OS gifts, but I got a beautiful hamper from DS1 & DDIL to be, it's white wicker & lined, I will re-use this to make someone else a lovely gift, heaven knows how much they spent, but it has chutney & marmalade in real kilner jars, these will also be re-filled & re-used.
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • penguin83
    • By penguin83 25th Dec 09, 10:25 AM
    • 4,787 Posts
    • 13,105 Thanks
    penguin83
    • 25th Dec 09, 10:25 AM
    • 25th Dec 09, 10:25 AM
    The OS related presents that I got were the River Cottage family cookbook, an amazing set of pans (I asked for) and a lovely spice rack. Think it may have been noticed that I now cook! xxxx
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
    • ocemeer
    • By ocemeer 25th Dec 09, 10:44 AM
    • 417 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    ocemeer
    • 25th Dec 09, 10:44 AM
    • 25th Dec 09, 10:44 AM
    A lovely spice collection with recipes that I will get more every month and a 'Thrifty' cookbook and some lavender smelling stones (not sure of purpose).
    Really happy as I love lavender. Now looking for the cards to start the Thankyou letters ready for posting New Years Eve. (joys of having a birthday close to Christmas , only one set of thankyou letters.)
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 25th Dec 09, 3:10 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:10 PM
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:10 PM
    I had some Rowan yarn too Penny- just a few balls from my mum- more blues and greens to add to my blanket.

I hope you enjoy Jane Grigson's Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery Not one I own, but I'm sure it'll be just the thing next time you have a pig to deal with.

I had lots of chocolate and booze I think that counts as OS 'cos I didn't buy it!
    Last edited by thriftlady; 25-12-2009 at 3:12 PM.
  • floyd
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:42 PM
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:42 PM
    It wouldn't be OS if I had bought it becuase I know they are expensive but when I consider the culinary storm I can whip up with my gift from OH then I suppose it is OS. After many years of lusting after it, OH bought me one of these beauties.....

• Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 25th Dec 09, 3:47 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:47 PM
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:47 PM
    It wouldn't be OS if I had bought it becuase I know they are expensive but when I consider the culinary storm I can whip up with my gift from OH then I suppose it is OS. After many years of lusting after it, OH bought me one of these beauties.....

Originally posted by floyd

Soooooooooooooooooooo jealous
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 25th Dec 09, 3:55 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:55 PM
    • 25th Dec 09, 3:55 PM
    I got Jill Holcombe's book How To Feed Your Family a Balanced Diet with Little or no Money .........

A Golden Syrup cook book, a burger cook book, a slow cooker cook book (think there's a theme going on here ) a pale pink fleece blanket, some fluffy slippers and lots of bath things so I'll be able to cook up a storm, keep warm with my blanket & slippers & have a restorative bath with the bath smellies afterwards
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • Molly41
    • By Molly41 25th Dec 09, 4:12 PM
    • 4,461 Posts
    • 37,863 Thanks
    Molly41
    • 25th Dec 09, 4:12 PM
    • 25th Dec 09, 4:12 PM
    I got lots of lovely OS presents - My dairy diary which I have collected since the birth of my eldest son in 1990 and which my mum always buys for me. I also got slippers and very warm PJs which Im looking forward to wearing tonight. xx
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 25th Dec 09, 4:37 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    os wise i got jean cristophe novelli's everyday novelli
    gordon ramsay's great british pub food

un-os wise i got a new handbag, smellies, dvd's games
    and ohhh soo much chocolate!!!!

Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• gingin
    • By gingin 25th Dec 09, 5:04 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    Happy Christmas everyone

I got some fab, thoughtful OS gifts

Jamie's Italy book

Phillips Blender (OH noticed my other one was a Tesco's value one and a bit carp)

Some indoor chilli plants to grow

A sampler http://shop.misofunky.com/products/welcome-to-the-jungle-sampler which I can't wait to finish and put in the hallway. Have requested another for my birthday (some might come across as a little rude on the link - just a warning).

DD got an old style sewing kit and a baking set.

We are seeing family tomorrow and swapping gifts then but know that a few cookbooks await.

Best, funniest gift was a personalised retro sweet jar with a big label saying. "Bun (my pet name from OH). Mummy's sacred sweetie jar. Children keep out!" It's gone straight on the kitchen windowsill.
    Last edited by gingin; 25-12-2009 at 5:13 PM.
  • Hardup Hester
    I love the cross stitch website gingin, what great ideas, I have a pattern that says 'My house was tidy last week, sorry you missed it'
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • Paulie'sGirl
    • By Paulie'sGirl 25th Dec 09, 6:45 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Paulie'sGirl
    Hi all!

I got some very cool OS presents

Big one was my new wonder machine, the Kenwood Prospero

I also received two Marie Claire cookbooks (from a male friend who knows I like to cook. A lovely if slightly misguided gift ) and Ching He Huang's Chinese Food Made Easy.

In a similar vein, OH bought me a lovely Viners cleaver, as I'm in a bit of an Asian cookery thing at the moment.

All in all, a wonderful OS Xmas!

PGxx
  • kunekune
    I got a massive great pestle and mortar. And, in the spirit of keeping warm at minimum cost, new jammies, dressing gown and slippers! Toasty warm.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : 129,600
    Overpayments to date: 3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 25th Dec 09, 11:01 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    Not really an OS one this year, I think I have many of the OS things I want now, I fell in love with Pandora bracelets so got some new charms which are so expensive. I did get some nice aromatherapy stuff (prevention rather than cure) & a lavendar bag, bought DP an electric razor as his blades (darn gillette fusion thingies) ae costing me a fortune!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 26th Dec 09, 7:28 AM
    • 10,483 Posts
    • 38,141 Thanks
    luxor4t
    DH bought me an overlocker I've dropped hints for years

After spotting a useful 'grabbit' post I bought him a bagatelle board: at last a battery-free game we ALL like
    • dizzybuff
    • By dizzybuff 26th Dec 09, 7:34 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 2,302 Thanks
    dizzybuff
    I have one cook book upto now , rivercottage everyday , waiting for my second xmas down to in laws for new year where i hope economy gastronomy is waiting for me. Off to meat market today and veggies for new year . Need to get my mums garden sorted as was also bought seeds for the year .

Non OS got the vicar of dibly box set and money to upgrade my brick of a mobile lol
    ONE HOUSE , DS+ DD Missymoo Living a day at a time and getting through this mess you have created.
    One day life will have no choice but to be nice to me
  • huxley
    I did so well, I got river cottage everyday, preserving self-sufficiency, silicon bakeware, a home made vouch for a trailor load of manure and the labour to dig it in! A wonderful calor gas fire so I can keep warm and not worry about running up a bill and a piggy bank to put the savings in oh and a new trowl and a lovely wicker basket filled with home made and other edible goodies. Truely been spoilt
    • JayneC
    • By JayneC 26th Dec 09, 8:19 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 10,929 Thanks
    JayneC
    I did well too, OH got me John Seymours New Self Sufficient gardener - which I asked for - has tips on preserving and keeping animals as well as gardening. DS1 got me books too - vegetables in a small garden and vegetable growing month by month (there's a theme going on here!). DD 1 got me a wally trolley which I've wanted for a while - can go shopping at local grocers and butchers now and not have to worry about carrying it all!DS2 (who's only 11) got me a second hand book - Alice in Wonderland (bless him! - he also got all his pressies from charity shop or recycled things he had himself - he gave his sister 'the magician's nephew' which is book he got last year!). Also got some other nice pressies and not really any useless cr*p which is the main thing I think! Hope you all have a good rest of the holidays! We're off to parents for a few days so see you all when we get back XX
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 26th Dec 09, 8:29 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 20,252 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    My sister got me a fantastic present - a food hamper. She put away bits of food from the weekly shop each week and wrapped them all up nicely in a big bag. Instead of it being things I'd not likely use (like a trifle mix which I still haven't made from last year ) it was pasta in shapes I couldn't find anywhere, passata, garlic powder, chorizo, risotto rice, etc, all storecupboard pieces but ones which will make the meals I make an awful lot nicer. The dried mixed mushrooms I'm looking forward to using, as with the chocolate I got. Also, I asked for the make up I usually wear as a Christmas present so I wouldn't have to buy it. It lasts me quite a while so that's an outlay I don't have to spend in the New Year.

Kitchenbunny xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,585Posts Today

8,025Users online

Martin's Twitter