Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ragz
    • By ragz 24th Dec 09, 9:18 AM
    • 3,153Posts
    • 27,335Thanks
    ragz
    Christmas eve - What are you cooking today?
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:18 AM
    Christmas eve - What are you cooking today? 24th Dec 09 at 9:18 AM
    I'm sure I'm not the only one spending the day in the kitchen today so I can have more time tomorrow with the kids etc, despite the temptation to stay in my PJs and watch rubbish on TV!

So far today I have a duck in the oven and a gammon joint boiling in Cola on the hob (though I AM still in my PJs lol)

Still to do -
    Make Duck Gravy
    Glaze Gammon
    Make Baileys Tiramisu (go round friend's house and steal a dish first!)
    Put beef in SC overnight with Red Wine
    Make carrot and onion dish for tomorrow
    Add stuff to my homemade mincemeat because I tried it yesterday and it's a bit bland.

Also need to take Cheesy Leeks out of freezer today to defrost ready for reheating tomorrow - everything else can be cooked from frozen.
    Need a few things from the shops too, may wait until closing time and see if there are any bargains!

So, what's everyone else doing? Or am I crazy?!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
Page 1
  • Olliebeak
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:23 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:23 AM
    Was going to be Pea and Ham Soup, but couldn't find my bag of dried peas last night. Think they've got shoved right to the back of the bottom cupboard when I pushed the potatoes in there. Will have to persuade OH to crawl into the cupboard to reach for them .

Might have to freeze the Ham Stock in containers, as there'll be so much cooking going on in the next few days.

Have got a container of Oxtail Soup that can come out of the freezer - that will make way for the Ham Stock then - playing musical freezer space now .
  • kelk72
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:33 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:33 AM
    Hi ragz NO youre not crazy youre organised LOL..... Ive got the gammon cooking on the hob in cola I'll pop it into the oven to glaze when finished...... the turkey crowns in the oven, ...... the leg of pork is all prepared waiting to go in after the turkeys been cooked,...... made my pince pies yesterday 3 dozen!......, husbands going to prepare all the veg and leave it in pans of cold water ready for putting on tomoz ...... then all Ive got to do tonight is lay the dining table ...... he's making the gravy stuffing etc tomoz as well as the prawn cocktails starter's ........so tonight Ill be sitting down with a large glass of vino watching tv with my feet up!
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 24th Dec 09, 9:34 AM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 8,396 Thanks
    Sagz
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:34 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:34 AM
    "Christmas eve - What are you cooking today? "

As little as possible!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
    • ragz
    • By ragz 24th Dec 09, 9:38 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:38 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:38 AM
    "Christmas eve - What are you cooking today? "

As little as possible!
    Originally posted by Norbertsmum
    Good for you lol, I only do it cos I love it really and would be doing tomorrow anyway
    Love your Signature BTW
    Ragz is busy studying
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 24th Dec 09, 9:41 AM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:41 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:41 AM
    I am going to bake up a storm in the kitchen today!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • jc2703
    • By jc2703 24th Dec 09, 9:43 AM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 12,926 Thanks
    jc2703
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:43 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:43 AM
    I have a shoulder of pork in the slow cooker and Im just going to go and put the gammon in coke on and some leek & potato soup in the smaller slow cooker.

Veg will get prepped later and turkey will go in SC overnight. stuffing balls and little sausages will get cooked tonight to be warmed through tomorrow and then we should be some where near!

J x
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
    • ragz
    • By ragz 24th Dec 09, 9:48 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:48 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:48 AM
    just checked on my gammon and it's coming apart! I don't have any string that isn't green so can't tie it up. Just have to hope it doesn;t get worse...
    Ragz is busy studying
  • Whistling Gypsy
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:56 AM
    • 24th Dec 09, 9:56 AM
    I have just sliced the beef that cooked in the slow cooker yesterday....tis v tasty and V tender!! Made mashed turnips and mashed cauliflower (I know - strange but true...) ready to reheat tomorrow. Par boiled sprouts to cook in bacon....steamed green beans to be quickly sauteed in garlic butter...Roast pots and parsnips for OH made last week will defrost tonight... carrots, spinach and broccoli prepared and in the fridge......Later will make gravy from the beef juices/red wine and then I think we're good to go!!

Have been to the PO (6.30am) for a parcel and popped into Asda on the way back.....wrapped a couple of presents when I got home.....can't believe it's not 11.00am yet and I'm just about done!!!

What can I do now??

(Sadly am v jealous of people with big families or loads of visitors...just me and OH. I'm in my element organising and preparing!!! :smile: Love it....no stress at all!!)
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
    • dronid
    • By dronid 24th Dec 09, 10:01 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    dronid
    Chorizo and Bean soup. Quick and simple and allows me to go to the shops 3 times. I haven't bought Christmas Dinner yet and am hoping to be able to pick up some cheap meat from the nearby supermarkets! Should freeze well, hopefully!

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

Current debt 7000 - loan. And a 4000 pound overdraft. That didn't work, did it?
  • LilacPixie
    Going to my parents for lunch tomorrow but I am expected to 'contribute' ready that as do loads. I still have to:

Prep the veg for roasting tomorrow
    make kilted sausages
    make stuffing and form into balls
    do leek and potato soup
    Make mince pies
    Make gingerbread men

Isn't it great that I have christmas off this year :rolleyes:
    MF aim 10th December 2020
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000
    • casperlarue
    • By casperlarue 24th Dec 09, 10:39 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    casperlarue
    I have just sliced the beef that cooked in the slow cooker yesterday....tis v tasty and V tender!!
    Originally posted by Whistling Gypsy
    Oh please please ......(i'm grovelling here!!) ... please how did you cook your beef in your slow cooker? I'm a complete beginner cooking beef, mine usually comes out in a small hard lump.....not very appetising!

Husband has gone to collect a rib of beef, his request for Xmas lunch, and I do not want to muck this one up. Mum has a slow cooker I can borrow, any hints or tips gratefully received!

Thanks Casper x
    "Put the kettle on Turkish, lets have a nice cup of tea.....no sugars for me.....I'm sweet enough"
    • mollythewestie
    • By mollythewestie 24th Dec 09, 10:56 AM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 10,645 Thanks
    mollythewestie
    I am cooking ham in coke too, I will roast it later and may have some in sandwiches for tea (I suspect we may be eating it for weeks as I went a little mad and bought a 4Kg gammon on the bone joint )

I have iced and decorated my Christmas cake this morning and taken all the bits out of the freezer for tomorrow.

I still have to:
    Make sausage rolls
    Prep vegetables
    Make stuffing

The rest is either done already or I will do tomorrow!
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: 8374 // 2019: 124
    Debt free thanks to MSE Weight loss 2019: 6lbs
    • ragz
    • By ragz 24th Dec 09, 10:56 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    I'm doing my beef overnight in SC. Just slinging it in with some red wine and cooking on low all night.

Oh please please ......(i'm grovelling here!!) ... please how did you cook your beef in your slow cooker? I'm a complete beginner cooking beef, mine usually comes out in a small hard lump.....not very appetising!
    Last edited by ragz; 24-12-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Ragz is busy studying
  • charliee
    well yesterday i did mince pies and decorated the cake, today i have just made cranberry sauce and the beef is in the oven. ham is ready cooked one this year (tesco finest half price on the bone- bargain!) so dont have to worry about that...
    going to make some sausage rolls later. stuffing is bought, bread sauce is from a packet so dont need to worry about them. i might make the cauliflower/ brocolli cheese if there is room in the fridge so that one less thing to do. also need to wrap my chipolatas in bacon so they can rest.. try and stop them coming apart!

oh yeah.. and im going to make my giblet stock today i think.. it really steams the kitchen up.. though i could make it in the pressure cooker... wonder how long i'd need to do it for? the i get the cooks treat of the giblets! mmmm

those of you pre doing your potatoes/ parsnips, how do you stop them going brown?
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 24th Dec 09, 11:08 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    We're having our christmas dinner today, so the turkey is coming along nicely in the oven, everything else is prepared - apart from the parsnips, which I will be doing shortly.

Can't wait
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Whistling Gypsy
    I'm doing my beef overnight in SC. Just slinging it in with some red wine and cooking on low all night.
    Originally posted by ragz
    Casparlarue...yep - pretty much how i did it too!! Mine was one of the 'roasting joints' (Topside, i think) from Asda with very little fat on it. Did it during the day to get the benefit of a) the heat from the SC (tis freezing in my house) and the smell....mmmmm. Chucked in a quartered onion, a bay leaf, some thyme and a couple of ends of celery and leek I keep in my stock box in the freezer, along with enough red wine to come about 1/2 of the way up the pot (Maybe half a bottle?).

Cooked for an hour on high, then about 6 hours on low. It shrank more than I thought but sliced beautifully this morning and takes very little chewing! I'll reheat it in the now thickened gravy for tomorrow but there's a danger it will fall apart!!

Easy peasy - good luck!
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
    • casperlarue
    • By casperlarue 24th Dec 09, 11:33 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 756 Thanks
    casperlarue
    Ah thank you so much Whistling Gypsy, sounds lovely! I have all those ingredients at home so should be able to create a yummy Xmas dinner, cheers!

And reading through the posts above you lot are all domestic godesses compared to me...icing cakes, making sauces, mince pies...oh I'm way out of my depth here!

Have a lovely Christmas everyone....don't forget to remind guests that the cook doesn't wash up on Xmas day!
    Last edited by casperlarue; 24-12-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    "Put the kettle on Turkish, lets have a nice cup of tea.....no sugars for me.....I'm sweet enough"
    • Triker
    • By Triker 24th Dec 09, 11:35 AM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 82,161 Thanks
    Triker
    I'm doing buffet food for tonight,

sausage rolls I made these

everything else M and S bought with vouchers so even though I'm cheating Old style it is money saving

mini kievs

mini pies

mini cheese and bacon bites

blinis with salmon

Going to prep my veg later (I've said this daily for about 3 days)

I'll make the stuffing as well.

I've also bought tin foil trays to sit inside my metal trays and these will be discarded afterwards straight in the bin, very bad I know but I'm confessing my sins....it saves on washing up, is my defence M'lud.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 24th Dec 09, 11:56 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Just remembered about the swede mash! I HATE peeling/chopping swede so definitely doing that one today - anyone got any tips? They are just so big and tough it takes me about an hour to cube one up (knew I should have bought it preprepped, but that stuff always tastes yukky!). I have my new best friend (potato ricer) to mash it up this year though!

Also, I have a pan that OH burned his chili on to the other day - I have tried everything, stardrops, cola,nothing is shifting the thick black yuck! Any ideas?
    Ragz is busy studying
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

3,210Users online

Martin's Twitter