Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    d.o.o.g
    Smelly Bunny - Help Please
    • 22nd Jun 06, 1:15 PM
    Smelly Bunny - Help Please 22nd Jun 06 at 1:15 PM
    Hello,

we have a lovely white lop-eared dwarf rabbit called Cairo. He shares our house with us and has his own litter tray. The problem is, his tray gets very smelly very quickly and the only litter we've found that counteracts this is made from woodchips and is very expensive. He won't sit on a lot of odour remover cat-litters either, and sometimes he eats the litter, so we have to watch the chemicals.

We would like to use something cheaper and more environmentally friendly, like shredded newspaper, but it doesn't mask/remove the smell.

Anyone got any good tips?

Last edited by MSE Martin; 27-06-2006 at 7:07 PM.
Page 1
  • Hazel2000
    • 22nd Jun 06, 2:15 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 2:15 PM
    Hi there I have a dwarf rabbit that stays in the house too! I have the same prob Bugs (original eh!) uses a litter tray also, what i do is put down a couple of sheets of newspaper then a really thin layer of chippings then a couple of layers of newspaper again. I empty each day and give tray a rinse out when needed. As for the smell i find cleaning each day is the best. Does Cairo eat at your wallpaper and carpet?

Hazel x
  • d.o.o.g
    • 22nd Jun 06, 2:21 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 2:21 PM
    I've not seen him eat wallpaper, but he loves our antique chairs and my shoes .

Look at that, I gave you your first thank you
    Last edited by d.o.o.g; 22-06-2006 at 2:23 PM.
  • Lucie
    • 22nd Jun 06, 4:36 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 4:36 PM
    Awwwww, you're making me want a new bunny, my poor Millie died last October (but she was nearly 6). She was a wire/cable chewer & we had to devise many ingenious ways of stopping her getting around the back of the TV!
    I've had male & female bunnies & the female didn't smell as much as the male, so maybe it's a gender thing. Regular changing of the sawdust in the litter tray was the only thing to get rid of the smell. If you line it with newspaper it makes it easier to keep clean.
    I always used to compost the used straw/sawdust from her litter tray & hutch too.
    • tru
    • By tru 22nd Jun 06, 4:59 PM
    • 8,720 Posts
    • 45,920 Thanks
    tru
    • 22nd Jun 06, 4:59 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 4:59 PM
    Males are definitely smellier than females

We buy wood based cat litter for our bunnies (actually it's bunny, the male died a couple of months ago ), it's the best thing IMO.

I can't use newspaper - it gets chewed up in minutes :rolleyes:

We've got chewed carpets, wallpaper and wires lol.
    Bulletproof
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 22nd Jun 06, 5:00 PM
    • 5,666 Posts
    • 8,762 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    • 22nd Jun 06, 5:00 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 5:00 PM
    Is it the wood pellet ones that you use? I think that pets at home do big bags quite reasonably. Have you tried World's best Cat litter - the extra strength. It is expensive, but is clump forming, so you just remove solid bits - might be a problem if rabbit poos a lot - one of ours always has lots of poos and the other doesn't!
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 22nd Jun 06, 5:13 PM
    • 3,938 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 22nd Jun 06, 5:13 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 5:13 PM
    How about sawdust? We used to get some lovely smelling sawdust for the kids gerbilariums . The pet shops do that in very big bags.
  • bulchy
    • 22nd Jun 06, 5:18 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 5:18 PM
    I dont know anything about bunnies, but was wondering if they are like cats, you know how they say an entire cats wee smells stronger than a castrated one? Would this be the same for bunnies? Maybe it would be worth investigating, sorry if I'm wrong, was just a thought.
    Sue
    • alec eiffel
    • By alec eiffel 22nd Jun 06, 6:17 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    alec eiffel
    • 22nd Jun 06, 6:17 PM
    • 22nd Jun 06, 6:17 PM
    We have a free range lagomorph (standard rex) - she doesn't have a cage or any of that malarky. In her litter tray we put a thin layer of bicarb of soda followed by sawdust which is pretty cheap especially if you can get a huge sack of it. Emptied everyday keeps the smell down.

We tried a layer of newspaper in the tray too but she just kept pulling at it so she could chew it - rather messy!

Yes we have chewed everything - carpets, chairs, clothing, wires etc. Bless.
    • bootman
    • By bootman 22nd Jun 06, 8:04 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    bootman
    Have you trie Auboise?

Its made from hemp core if I remember correctly. I buy a huge bale from a local farm shop. It's real use I think is for horses stables. It costs me £6.95 and lasts forever.

I have found that it eliminates the smell really well.
  • d.o.o.g
    Thanks for all the replies.

Cario is neutered so that's not the problem It'll prolongs his life by up to six months though apparently.

Newspaper seems a good plan, but I suspect he'd pull it out of the tray.

I like the idea of sawdust and bicarb though, that could be a lot cheaper. I'll look at the Auboise too.
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 23rd Jun 06, 1:42 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    mehefin
    Bootman's right it is hemp based and is very soft - used to use it in the stables until i found a cheaper source of hemp. It rots down beautifully on the muckheap to a soft brown (odourless) fibre. The local gardeners can't get enough of the stuff! Switched to shavings at the mo - cheaper still but not such a good garden product. Should work well with rabbits - a littel goes a long way with this stuff. You may have to damp it a bit - it sort of mats up a little and is very absorbent - about 5 to 6 times shavings from memory
    • rubix_76
    • By rubix_76 28th Jun 06, 10:37 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    rubix_76
    I like the idea of sawdust and bicarb though, that could be a lot cheaper.
    by d.o.o.g
    Having never had a rabbit, I can't coment on that, but we have cats, and our little madam liked to wee where she wanted to (including our soft bedroom carpet), and we found soaking up the majority of the "wet" patch with tissue, and then sprinkling a generous amount of bicarb to soak up the rest, and there is no smell now.

She is banished from upstairs, but we now know if she has a lilttle "accident" we can at least prevent our house from smelling of wee.

And a tub of bicarb is sooooo much cheaper than all the products that claim to either get rid of the smell, or prevent them going back there.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • antikewl
    Bio-Catolet
    We have a pair of semi-free range house mini lops who have a tray of Bio-Catolet to go in. It's made of recycled newspaper and doesn't smell too bad. It's changed either every day or every other day if it's not messy.

The 12kg bag is £4.50 in Sainsbury's, so it isn't cheap. But they like it, it's biodegradable and comes in a paper bag (that I can recycle!).

Anyone know where I can get it cheaper? -- even better if they deliver!
    Last edited by antikewl; 28-06-2006 at 4:13 PM.
  • JR19
    Hi there

I have several rabbits (including two house bunnies) and I'm now using a product called 'Megazorb' (used for horses, cattle and small animals) which behaves in a similar way to cat litter. I purchase mine from a local farm & also a supplier of 'cattle/horse feeds'. Since using this product (also use it to line their cages as well as litter trays), I haven't noticed any unpleasant odours. Price is about 6.00 per large sack (lasts for about a month - daily litter trays for 8 rabbits and major weekly clean for house-bunnies).
  • catmango
    No rabbits here, but 3 cats. We use layers pellets (chicken food pellets) which we buy from pets at home for about 7 for a 15 kilo bag.

We had them recommended to us by a cat breeder, and we've never looked back since we changed to them.
  • antikewl
    They might be ideal for a cat but I wouldn't suggest using Layers pellets for rabbits. They will eat them (if they're like mine, they'll eat anything!) and, as they're high in protein and not high in fibre, probably not very good for them.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    At first I thought you were talking about dead raw rabbit and it smelt
    Oooppps

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
  • Lucianne
    Dangerous wood shavings.
    Hi all,
    Just to let rabbit owners know; wood shavings/sawdust from pine and cedar contain compounds which are toxic to rabbits - it's really not a good idea to use them if you can find an alternative. Also, clumping cat litters aren't too good if your bun likes to eat the litter substrate (many do).

I use bio-catolet too, the recycled newspaper one. It's not cheap though.

Thanks for the bicarb tip - will definitely try that to get rid of the urine odour on my sofa (grrrrr!).

Lucy
  • d.o.o.g
    Lucy, you should train your OH to get up from the sofa when a loo break is needed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,776Posts Today

7,226Users online

Martin's Twitter