Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Genuisscuffy
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:27 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:27 PM
    Used to work in Butchers in Tesco and swear by rib of beef - you do get some fat in it but thats what makes it taste lovely. We dont like turkey either and we are having rib of beef and my younger son sausages!!! (whats the point cooking turkey if you just end up chucking it away!!) If you have just one rib cook - in pan over normal heat to seal all around then put in oven for about 1hr-1 1/2 depending how you like it.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd Dec 09, 3:45 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:45 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:45 PM
    Hi Hotlegs,

I second Genuisscuffy's suggestion of rib of beef. It's pricey, but well worth it.

Dust the joint with mustard powder and black pepper.

Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees, and blast it for 20 minutes before turning the oven down to 190 and cook for 15 minutes per pound for rare. Add an extra 15 minutes for medium rare and leave it in for a further 15-20 minutes if you like it more well done.

The most important bit if you want it to be tender is to allow it to rest in a warm place for at least 20 minutes.

There's an earlier thread with more recipes that may help:

Best Way To Cook A Joint Of Beef?

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 22nd Dec 09, 3:47 PM
    • 12,646 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:47 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:47 PM
    im having lamb fresh from butchers mmm

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 22nd Dec 09, 3:53 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:53 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 3:53 PM
    I would go for rib of beef as well. Had it last year and it was absolutely delicious and didn't shrink. Back to turkey this year.
  • picklepick
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:10 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:10 PM
    I dont know anything about cuts of beef but i was really hoping that when i clicked on your post it would just say...

"We love it!"
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • Olliebeak
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:18 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:18 PM
    I'm for the Rib of Beef too - got one last year for Christmas Day and then decided to have it on New Year's Day instead - very delish. Have got another for New Year this time around too .

If you like a bit of 'heat with your meat', treat yourself to a small jar of Horseradish .
  • HotLegs
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:29 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:29 PM
    Thanks so much to everyone for your replies, rib of beef sounds delicious. I get my meat from a free range butchers so how would I ask for enough for 4 people? would it be by weight or ribs? sorry for sounding like a dimwit
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd Dec 09, 4:38 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:38 PM
    • 22nd Dec 09, 4:38 PM
    Hi HotLegs,

It's probably best to ask your butchers advice but I would usually go for a three rib roast for four adults. This link has lots of advice:

Perfect Prime Rib

Pink
  • HotLegs
    Thank you so much Pink, that's a brilliant link you gave, I feel so much more organised now Merry Xmas everyone
    • hex2
    • By hex2 22nd Dec 09, 6:13 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Hotlegs, another vote for rib of beef, but rather than fret ask your butcher for enough to roast for 4 people then you will get the right amount and the right bit of the ribs. I get our butcher to show me the ribs first and then I decide how many we want - I usually go for a medium size double rib for c8 people - round about 20/25.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • sazzy6
    We have rib of beef every year and it is yum! Turkey - no thanks!
  • craftynutters
    mr T had rib of beef on offer on the butchers counter today
    • kimmee
    • By kimmee 22nd Dec 09, 7:14 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    kimmee
    I would also give rib of beef the thumbs up - a while ago I cooked a rib of beef (not for xmas) and before I roasted it I marinated it in red wine for 24 hours in the fridge. It was a large joint so I put it in a pot, poured in the wine to about half way and occasionally doused the top half, then halfway I turned it over. It was absolutley fantastic
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Dec 09, 9:10 PM
    • 16,925 Posts
    • 144,923 Thanks
    JackieO
    Without a doubt rib of beef is delicious and cooked properly it will melt in your mouth, mmm I could just go a cold beef sandwich with mustard mayo right now
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
  • Fivenations
    Rib is great but it is also important to get the right breed ( I like Aberdeen Angus or Hereford) but more so that it has been properly matured. Make sure it's been well hung for at least 3 weeks, preferably more. (I prefer a good topside, cooked with care, to a mediocre rib.)

I'm not a fan of turkey either so we're having Capon - big juicy male chicken!
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 22nd Dec 09, 9:59 PM
    • 1,981 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    richardc1983
    We dont have turkey either, ever since I was a kid we have had silverside beef, it is cooked and just breaks apart in your mouth... lovely...
    • Kimitatsu
    • By Kimitatsu 23rd Dec 09, 7:20 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 7,834 Thanks
    Kimitatsu
    Can I just say its nice to see people with a sensible view here I always go for rib of beef because the bones and the fat add flavour to it, IMO far nicer than a rolled joint.

But the amount of people who have looked at me as if I am odd becuase I have turned down a rolled joint in favour of something with a bone in it is unbelievable!! So rib of beef gets my vote - then you can use the meat juices to make yorkshires too
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • HotLegs
    Rib is great but it is also important to get the right breed ( I like Aberdeen Angus or Hereford) but more so that it has been properly matured. Make sure it's been well hung for at least 3 weeks, preferably more. (I prefer a good topside, cooked with care, to a mediocre rib.)

I'm not a fan of turkey either so we're having Capon - big juicy male chicken!
    Originally posted by Fivenations
    I've just come back from my butchers with a lovely looking rib of beef my butcher told me it was MacDuff Aberdeen Angus, apparentely the queen eats it too He recommended 2 ribs for 4 people and it cost 25 quid so it better be good or I'll be coming back to you lot for a refund Merry Xmas everyone

• mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 23rd Dec 09, 11:34 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    You will love it fore-rib is about the best it gets...... enjoy!
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Accessible EF #152 1000/1000

Vets EF 2000/2000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,075Posts Today

7,210Users online

Martin's Twitter