Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frugalsar
    • By frugalsar 17th Dec 09, 10:27 PM
    • 593Posts
    • 402Thanks
    frugalsar
    Fancy Dress Party Ideas??
    • 17th Dec 09, 10:27 PM
    Fancy Dress Party Ideas?? 17th Dec 09 at 10:27 PM
    I've left it really late and have a fancy dress party on boxing day! arrghh! Please help! I have very little money (I've been looking on ebay and even second hand outfit go for 15 or so!) Can anyone give me any ideas for outfits using things I would have already or would find cheap? I can sew a straight line just about and dont mind hard work but i'm totally blank for ideas! (also my best mate has bought a really expensive, fabulous size 8 gangster outfit and I dont want to look like the poor crummy attempt!) Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 08-03-2016 at 5:06 PM.
    Best Threads -
    greenfingered - oldstyle - grabbit
Page 1
    • lisawood78
    • By lisawood78 17th Dec 09, 10:47 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    lisawood78
    • 17th Dec 09, 10:47 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 10:47 PM
    Oooooo is there a theme?
    Costumes I have done in recent years (not neccesarily cheaply)
    Mystique (X-men), Corpse Bride, Bunny Girl, Devil, Lara Croft, Trinity (Matrix), Pit Girl, Simpsons (Marge or Lisa) Tiger, 'Wench' , Avril Lavigne.
    Oooh, Elizabeth Swan also
    I'll come back if I think of more
    Last edited by lisawood78; 17-12-2009 at 10:51 PM.
    2 angels in heaven
    • lisawood78
    • By lisawood78 17th Dec 09, 10:48 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    lisawood78
    • 17th Dec 09, 10:48 PM
    • 17th Dec 09, 10:48 PM
    Also try here, I use this site for a lot of ideas
    http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/
    2 angels in heaven
    • toffee'n'tom
    • By toffee'n'tom 18th Dec 09, 12:26 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    toffee'n'tom
    • 18th Dec 09, 12:26 AM
    • 18th Dec 09, 12:26 AM
    I made a clown outfit a few years ago at very little cost and I'm probably the worst seamstress in the world. Search out the cheapest colourful material and draw out the shape of a clown's trousers (really really wide at the waist and narrowing to the knees. cut out, sew up and thread a stiff wire through the waist. make straps to go over your shoulders and sew oversized (the cheapest again or ones you have hanging around) buttons where they meet the trousers. sew on different coloured patches, wear a bright coloured t shirt and voila. team up with a foil wig and make up.

At the same time my sister in law and hubby made a fabulous outfit out of old plastic plant pots and went as bill and ben (cut holes out of large plastic pots and joined them together to cover their arms and legs). (or look out for m & s sales - I bought about 5 different costumes last year for a fiver each!!)
    • jexygirl
    • By jexygirl 18th Dec 09, 12:44 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    jexygirl
    • 18th Dec 09, 12:44 AM
    • 18th Dec 09, 12:44 AM
    REALLY easy one - the morning after the night before!. Get some jamas - fold them inside themselves to fit say your left hand side - so the arm goes inside the arm and the leg inside the leg (hope you get what I mean) Then pick your best black dress, half it in the same way - just folded inside itself, not cut - either tape (or ideally tack sew so that they can be used again as usual) the two different outfits together where they meet.
    makeup - half your face with perfect evening makeup, obviously on the same side as your little black dress, one stocking and high heel (or whatever you choose as the night before) and the "morning after " side, smudge teh makeup, give yourself a dark circle under the eye etc ! go as far as you want with it, and its fun! Also easy to use the clothes you have with not alot of "techinical skill" needed
    above all Enjoy!

You could also do even simpler - ask all your male / female friends or relatives for all their ties. Use whatever base outfit you want, make a crown, tie all the "ties" all over your arms / legs / body, and go as the queen of "tie land"
    Jex
    • Pitlanepiglet
    • By Pitlanepiglet 18th Dec 09, 7:30 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 11,267 Thanks
    Pitlanepiglet
    • 18th Dec 09, 7:30 AM
    • 18th Dec 09, 7:30 AM
    My friend went to a party as a snowman a few years ago. He works in a garage and he got a set of the white paper overalls that people use as protective clothing (for paint spraying - think Silent Witness as well!) and he drew bit black buttons on the front. It was very effective and very cheap!
    Piglet
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th Dec 09, 10:36 AM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,445 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 18th Dec 09, 10:36 AM
    • 18th Dec 09, 10:36 AM
    Well don't go as a bunch of grapes! Someone I used to know years ago once tied red balloons all over himself, wore a green hat and went to a party as a bunch of grapes. Only everyone took great delight in popping all his balloons with cocktail sticks so he spent the rest of the evening in a teeshirt and tights!!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 18th Dec 09, 10:46 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 18th Dec 09, 10:46 AM
    • 18th Dec 09, 10:46 AM
    Saw this in an old Jane Asher book - The Last Straw - just pop a drinking straw in your top pocket, or pin it on your top somewhere.
    • gaily
    • By gaily 23rd Dec 09, 8:53 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    gaily
    • 23rd Dec 09, 8:53 AM
    • 23rd Dec 09, 8:53 AM
    http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I've used it for Kids stuff before now. I had to do nativity for my 3 year olds, and one insisted on being a crocodile (don't ask me why, 3 year old logic!!) - you can't create a good crocodile for very little money, and a sever lack of time!!

Under 30 for 2 outfits - had to get the other twin something too!! They arrived the next day, with free delivery.

You can get outfits for about 10-20 for most of them - adults selction for about 10 not quite such a large selection. They deliver next day (OK, not too sure about Christmas delivery) and until the new year, it's free delivery.

Ok, it's a spend, when you're looking as cheap as you can, but this was the cheapest outfits I could find that weren't home made (wish I had the time and creativity to do homemade)
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are
    • jenando999
    • By jenando999 23rd Dec 09, 6:15 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    jenando999
    Living Doll?
    How about if you have an nice flowery summer dress, team it up with a colourful cardie, put your hair in bunchies and do lovely bright aunt sally style make up to look like a living doll. You can even cut out a key shape from cardboard, spray it gold/silver and try to figure out a way to attach it to your back so you're like a wind up doll.

Oh I also just thought, try asking on freecycle (freegle) I got a pair of long white platform boots for going to see Abba Mania a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by jenando999; 23-12-2009 at 6:18 PM. Reason: another idea
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 23rd Dec 09, 7:07 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Christmas tea / picnic tea;

Glue paper plates, paper cups & plastic cutlery in place settings onto a disposable rectangular table cloth. Cut a hole for your head & wear it like a poncho. You can add plates of 'food' (pictures or toy) down the middle. Use a wicker basket (picnic) or gift bag (christmas) as a handbag.
  • shaz22
    One of the stand-out costumes I remember from my schooldays - one kid wrapped himself up in a white Duvet and became the Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. I guess that could be adapted to make a snowman or the Michelin Man with a little accessorising.
  • sugarkane81
    Go as a TV, get a big box cut out head an arm hols cover in silver foil add a pic on front couple of buttons an all done, let us know what you choose
    • JesaRose
    • By JesaRose 23rd Dec 09, 10:13 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 8,608 Thanks
    JesaRose
    My favourite easy make costume is a spider.

Cover a cushion in black fabric (or a black cushion) cut into singles & attach two pairs of stuffed old black tights and cut up another pair to cover your arms. Attach the other legs with some thread to your wrists so when you move your arms the other two pairs move with them. On your legs - black trousers/leggings or tights make an eight legged spider.

A black hat with half ping-pong balls stuck on it can make some scary eyes too if you want to go all the way. Paint for effect

wish I was going
    Not been here in years! Hi everyone. Make 10 a day challenge = 78.45/155
  • knithryn
    Glue smarties to an old pair of trousers and go as SmartiePAnts.
  • pie-eater
    One my sister did, sew, tie or stick sweets to a pair of PJ's and go as "Sweet Dreams". (you get to eat the sweets too)
  • water2
    Originally posted by lisawood78
    Nice site to get some good ideas.
  • Gem21
    Flapper Girl
    A really easy one is flapper girl. Wear a plain black dress with a pair of fishnet tights. A pair of black gloves and a cigarette holder, you should be able to pick up these cheaply in a fancy dress shop. Then from your local sewing shop buy a small piece of sequined ribbon (elasticated) and a tall feather. And use as a head piece.
    Use mascara to add a beauty spot and some red lippy. Glam and easy.
    • momtothree
    • By momtothree 13th Oct 12, 8:34 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    momtothree
    http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/
    Originally posted by lisawood78
    Awesome website, thanks for sharing
    • cryptic curls
    • By cryptic curls 30th Oct 15, 6:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cryptic curls
    50 shades...
    I heard a fab one the other day for a man. Pin a load of paint swatch cards onto a grey suit and go as Christian Grey from 50 Shades of Grey!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,619Posts Today

5,449Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin