Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bella79
    • By Bella79 15th Dec 09, 7:32 PM
    • 1,163Posts
    • 2,090Thanks
    Bella79
    christmas eve dinner/tea
    • 15th Dec 09, 7:32 PM
    christmas eve dinner/tea 15th Dec 09 at 7:32 PM
    Hello all

Ive got my mum,nan,dad coming chrsitmas eve and im going to be making our main meal, im just not sure what to do ?

Dont really want anything "dinner" like cos of xmas day but want something a bit more than sandwiches any ideas ?

Thankyou
    x
Page 1
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 15th Dec 09, 8:23 PM
    • 6,388 Posts
    • 20,437 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:23 PM
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:23 PM
    Quiche, new potatoes and salad?
  • valk_scot
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:31 PM
    • 15th Dec 09, 8:31 PM
    Thick meaty one pot soup and garlic bread?
    Val.
    • gizmo111
    • By gizmo111 15th Dec 09, 9:19 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    gizmo111
    • 15th Dec 09, 9:19 PM
    • 15th Dec 09, 9:19 PM
    We're having gammom, new pots and salad, and for the vegies a creamy quorn pie
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Peartree
    • 15th Dec 09, 9:25 PM
    • 15th Dec 09, 9:25 PM
    Help yourself salads, cold meats, cheeses, pate and posh bread - home-made or bought in? That can be quite hearty if you do a warm potato salad, for example, Add to the Xmas lunch leftovers the next day for another buffet tea so nothing gets wasted. The supermarkets have lots of their 'buffet' items like mini quiches and the like on offer at the moment too.
  • Olliebeak
    • 15th Dec 09, 9:55 PM
    • 15th Dec 09, 9:55 PM
    Being from Liverpool, I'd do lovely, hot, filling scouse with herby dumplings (cooked in the Slow Cooker) served with pickled red cabbage and beetroot .
  • BitterAndTwisted
    • 15th Dec 09, 10:02 PM
    Crikey, I'm off to Olliebeak's for my Christmas Eve dinner. Lovely stuff!
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 15th Dec 09, 10:02 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    We always have steak, salad, mushrooms and chips
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 16th Dec 09, 6:14 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 16th Dec 09, 6:14 AM
    • 16th Dec 09, 6:14 AM
    Hello all

Ive got my mum,nan,dad coming chrsitmas eve and im going to be making our main meal, im just not sure what to do ?

Dont really want anything "dinner" like cos of xmas day but want something a bit more than sandwiches any ideas ?

Thankyou
    x
    Originally posted by owens3116
    We usually throw a party on Christmas Eve, but if it's just the family, I cook salmon. Tesco have whole salmon on offer atm, so that would be impressive

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • wendyphant
    • By wendyphant 16th Dec 09, 6:40 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    wendyphant
    We went to lidl and they had a fish terrine which was layered potatoe salmon haddock and cod looks lush so we are having that and some part baked rolls warm when we get in from church at 6 nice and warm but light too.

BTW was only 5 and looks more than big enough for the 5 of us x x
    YUMMY MUMMY TO HENRY BEAR AGED 10

slimming world need to get back to target 25lb to go
    Disney World here we come May 2018
    • twinkle_star
    • By twinkle_star 16th Dec 09, 7:49 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    twinkle_star
    Before I went veggie I always did a veggie dish on Christmas eve to allow for meaty feast on Christmas day. Obviously it's Christmas so it has to be a bit luxurious and special so we usually had an amazing mushroom pie made with fancy mushrooms, leeks, sherry, creme fraiche and chestnuts accompanied by nutty stuffed red onions. Yum!

This year I'll probably do a similar mushroom pie but minus the cream and maybe with some nice ale.
    • CCP
    • By CCP 16th Dec 09, 8:01 AM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 93,309 Thanks
    CCP
    The tradition in my family has always been to have a sort of buffet meal - a cold ham joint, cheese, hm bread, chutney and some 'nibbly things' from the supermarket (mini spring rolls, onion bhajis etc). It can be as light or as filling as each person wants, and any leftovers reappear for Boxing Day so there's no waste.

It's quite a sensible tradition, now I come to think of it!
    • hotcookie101
    • By hotcookie101 16th Dec 09, 8:05 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,947 Thanks
    hotcookie101
    My family always have a ham, and mash and veg on Christmas eve, then we have the ham already ready for the big meal yum yum
  • ubamother
    in our house, this is the meal that is always up for debate - got to be simple, as fridge/kitchen full of nice things for Christmas Day onwards, got to be quickly prepared as at the crib service before supper, and has to be completely different to a 'proper meal' or a buffet. This year we're doing fondue. Other years we've done: soup and french bread sandwiches; pate and salads; quiche and coleslaw; hoi sin duck. Our only tradition is that its completely different each year.

• motherhen2234
    I'm in the tradition of having a buffet xmas eve.

If you family are pretty adventurous with their food how about a big pot of curry or chilli with rice naan / garlic bread or nachos? A bit of spice before the big feast.
    2013 Free Money - 363.44 Topcashback
    2014 Free Money - 59.84 Topcashback
    2015 Free Money (so far) - 186.33 Topcashback
    • Kandipandi
    • By Kandipandi 16th Dec 09, 11:56 AM
    • 1,723 Posts
    • 5,805 Thanks
    Kandipandi
    Its a tradition in our house to have Gammon and home cooked chips with mushy peas, peas pudding, and pineapple. Dont know why but this is a family tradition.

I once offered a builder a ham and peas pudding sandwich and he was bewildered as he had never heard of peas pudding, he went to the shop on the way home and took about 4 worth home for his mum!
    You can stand there and agonize........
    Till your agony's your heaviest load. (Emily Saliers)
  • charliee
    homemade pizza... with salad and coleslaw... totally different to the feast food the next day!
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 16th Dec 09, 12:32 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 3,914 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    We always have jacket potaotes and what my youngest calls 'bits and pieces' a variety of things like quiche, pork pie, coleslaw etc. and of course Garlic bread - yummmmmmm
    Fibro-Warrior
  • puddy
    ive decided im doing a hot buffet christmas eve and then a cold buffet boxing day, so christmas eve is potato wedges, scampi, fish goujons, sausages, a pasta dish, lamb bites i will make with minced lamb with loads of pickles, chicken drumsticks

then boxing day, cheeses, cold meats, bit of salad, coleslaw, pork pie, hard boiled eggs, breads, smoked salmon and prawns.

i have just had to make a list of what im having when, and where its going, fridge or freezer. im going to have to use a cool bag that is also a fridge. dont think it gets as cold as a fridge as its for picnics.
    • hellokitty08
    • By hellokitty08 16th Dec 09, 12:59 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    hellokitty08
    There was a thread like this a little while ago,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2025227&highlight=christmas+eve+ dinner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,233Posts Today

7,760Users online

Martin's Twitter