Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 16th Dec 09, 10:12 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:12 AM
    For wonderfully bright skin
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:12 AM
    First, a CAVEAT! I do not believe this tip should be used by anyone who is advised not to take aspirin.

However, it works for me.

Crush six plain asppirin tablets with a mortar and pestle. Make a paste with a small amount of water. Apply to face, leave on ten minutes. Rinse off, pat dry.

An excellent face mask to brighten skin for less than 30 pence.

Tada!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 18-12-2009 at 5:40 PM.
    • mightymolly
    • By mightymolly 16th Dec 09, 10:13 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    mightymolly
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:13 AM
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:13 AM
    I do the same thing but mix it in with a little honey too!
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 16th Dec 09, 10:31 AM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:31 AM
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:31 AM
    Wondering why MSE Penelope has posted this here and not on the Health Beauty and Fashion Board :confused:

ETA I posted the above when this thread first appeared on the Oldstyle board. It has now been moved without a "Moved" explanatory post............just to explain in case anyone thinks I've totally lost the plot!!
    Last edited by Bronnie; 16-12-2009 at 1:00 PM.
    • lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 16th Dec 09, 10:35 AM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,036 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:35 AM
    • 16th Dec 09, 10:35 AM
    Originally posted by mightymolly

Really works, doesn't it? I shall try adding some honey, good idea!
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 16th Dec 09, 12:15 PM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    • 16th Dec 09, 12:15 PM
    • 16th Dec 09, 12:15 PM
    First, a CAVEAT! I do not believe this tip should be used by anyone who is advised not to take aspirin.

However, it works for me.

Crush six plain asppirin tablets with a mortar and pestle. Make a paste with a small amount of water. Apply to face, leave on ten minutes. Rinse off, pat dry.

An excellent face mask to brighten skin for less than 30 pence.

Tada!
    Originally posted by lisa110rry
    What skin type is this useful for? Presumably not for sensitive skin - salicylic acid is used in corn plasters so I can imagine it could be a bit harsh :confused:

• edie1978
    • 16th Dec 09, 1:26 PM
    • 16th Dec 09, 1:26 PM
    my top tip is neat shea butter, which you can buy really cheaply (note: not products with shea butter in, just the 100% shea butter stuff - i get it from Pure Nuff Stuff, you can get 100g for £3.50 and it lasts for ages and ages, you only use a tiny bit - just put a tiny bit on at night and by morning your skin looks radiant. i'm a long-term acne sufferer in my thirties, and whilst it feels a bit greasy to put on it's quickly absorbed and really improves skin texture more than any fancy expensive potion you can buy does.
  • edie1978
    • 16th Dec 09, 1:34 PM
    • 16th Dec 09, 1:34 PM
    another top skincare recipe tip: i make my own toner from a bottle of witch hazel (you can buy this for about £1 from the pharmacy bit of any supermarket) and a few drops of whichever essential oils happen to take my fancy at the time. i sometimes add rosewater too (which you can buy cheaply from the cookery section in the supermarket) and shake it all up - super cheap, smells fantastic, and my skin loves it.
  • MonkeyBear
    • 16th Dec 09, 1:39 PM
    • 16th Dec 09, 1:39 PM
    If you get a spot breakout wash your face in some tepid chamomile tea, you can also dab the teabag on the affected area.

To make body lotion more intensive during the cold weather try mixing it with some sweet almond oil (used for massage etc, available from health food shops - lasts ages).

You can make a body scrub from oatmeal and olive oil. A book called 'The Thrift Book' by India Knight has lots of hints and tricks for natural, cheap beauty products you can make yourself.
    • Lily-Lu
    • By Lily-Lu 16th Dec 09, 2:02 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    Lily-Lu
    When we girls were in our teens back in the 70s, my mum told us that if we wanted a shine to our hair, use some vinegar in the rinsing water
  • Miltb
    When we girls were in our teens back in the 70s, my mum told us that if we wanted a shine to our hair, use some vinegar in the rinsing water
    Originally posted by Lily-Lu

I used to do this too. Blondes should use lemon juice instead of vinegar.
    • LittleMissAspie
    • By LittleMissAspie 16th Dec 09, 2:28 PM
    • 2,091 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    LittleMissAspie
    Put some salt in a pot (dead sea salt is best) and add your normal shower gel until it becomes the right consistency for a scrub.

You can also make a moisturising scrub by using sugar and oil but personally I haven't managed to get the right consistency yet.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 18-12-2009 at 5:43 PM.
    • lostinrates
    • By lostinrates 16th Dec 09, 2:34 PM
    • 53,931 Posts
    • 342,642 Thanks
    lostinrates
    Originally posted by mightymolly

Just clear hney also makes a very good facemask, helping calm down spotty or sore skin. egg white also makes a slightly tightening facemask, and can also be mixed with honey.
    Last edited by lostinrates; 16-12-2009 at 2:39 PM.
  • mollflanders
    Place cucumber slices on eyelids to help with puffiness. Cut slices of cucumber and rub them over face and neck for instant tightness.
  • mollflanders
    If you put your hairbrush inside an old tight or nylon and then brush your hair with it, it will make your hair shinier.
  • rosepink
    I love pawpaw and once I have eaten them with a spoon, I turn the skin inside out and rub it over my face.Leave it for a while to dry and then rinse off with lukewarm water. A wonderful skin brightener!!
    Blonde hair can be rinsed with cold chamomile tea/infusion - it restores the golden lights!
    I add a little foundation to a blob of moisturiser to make a good tinted moisturiser.Mix on back of hand and apply all over face as needed.
    My grandmother always washed her hair in rainwater, collected in a rain butt. Gives lovely shiny hair!!
  • zara*elise
    Use 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup of salt, mix together and use as a moisturising body exfoliator. It's perfect for dry and normal skin and gives skin a refresh!
    Foreign politicians often zing stereotypical tunes, mayday, mayday, Venezuela, neck
  • Sarah.Cc
    leave oil in hair overnight for an excellent intensive treatment!! takes a good scrubbing to get it out tho but worth it!!

vaseline on lashes and brows helps them grow!

use bicarb of soda one a week to brush ur teeth and it whitens them!! dont use it more than once a week tho as not entirely good 4 them so my dentist ssays

if like me after a few days of having fake tan on it goes a little blothchy instead of scrubbing your skin raw apply baby oil all over leave it 4 a while and then use an exfoiliating mit/scrub in a hot bath to remove it!! so soft skin!

also i use baby oil when my skin is really dry i apply it to my wet skin and leave it to soak in....really works!
    • clairibel
    • By clairibel 16th Dec 09, 3:57 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 7,147 Thanks
    clairibel
    Olive oil with few drops of essential oil lavender or tea tree depending on how my skin is on my face overnight gives me really baby soft skin....hopefully less lined too
    • giantmutantbroccoli
    • By giantmutantbroccoli 16th Dec 09, 4:00 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 1,349 Thanks
    giantmutantbroccoli
    For acne-prone skin - 1part lemon juice, 2 parts honey + enough oats to make it dry enough to scrub your face with = antibacterial anti-spot scrub.
    For lots of dead/dry skin - honey + cornmeal with remove dead/dry skin on face, hands and feet, but it's a bit harsh.
    For nasty fungal-type things on your feet - scrub feet with cornmeal scrub, dry thoroughly then paint affected areas with rosemary oil. Or just add the oil to the scrub - it's a fungicide.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 18-12-2009 at 5:41 PM.
    Coffee +3 Dexterity +3 Willpower -1 Ability to Sleep

Playing too many computer games may be bad for your attention span but it Critical Hit!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,107Posts Today

7,593Users online

Martin's Twitter