Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gatser
    • By Gatser 14th Dec 09, 1:44 PM
    • 578Posts
    • 213Thanks
    Gatser
    Pensions Planning: The NUMBER
    • 14th Dec 09, 1:44 PM
    Pensions Planning: The NUMBER 14th Dec 09 at 1:44 PM
    The NUMBER is how much income you need to "live comfortably"
    So What's your number?
    Very important for pensions planning, to know what you are aiming for.

My Number? (for a couple)
    I calculated: 22,000
    based on
    Food 5,000
    Car/transport 5,000
    Bills/Utilities 4,500
    Holidays/Leisure 4,500
    Clothing/Cash/Xmas/Other 2,000
    Repairs/replacements 1,000
Page 62
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 9,385 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    Linton
    Like Gadget, I also have a strategy of running down the SIPPs as quickly as possible, keeping just within our current tax bands. This will give extra tax space in later years when we take our deferred SPs.

One important side effect of this strategy is that it affects where one holds one's assets. It makes most sense to hold safe assets (eg bond and Wealth Preservation funds) in the SIPPs, and higher risk/return and income generating assets in S&S ISAs. One doesnt want to go to all the effort of maximising one's drawdown only to discover that the SIPP has actually increased in size over the year thanks to good investment returns. Also there is the problem of being out of the market for around 2 weeks during the transfer - Bestinvest wants the cash to be available for transfer about 2 weeks before the payment date. If one holds safe investments in the SIPP this should not present any great risk.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 10,785 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Bestinvest wants the cash to be available for transfer about 2 weeks before the payment date.
    Originally posted by Linton
    Sorry, which transfer is this? PCLS?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 9,385 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    Linton
    Sorry, which transfer is this? PCLS?
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    A taxed withdrawal. Everything must be in place to go through the PAYE monthly run to be drawn down at the start of the month.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 10th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 10,785 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    OK, thanks. I'm running main SIPP at 4% cash currently so that will cover 8 months of drawdown, and dividends will replenish enough to keep things ticking.

I'm going to enter drawdown in April (once LTA gets a boost) and it's all rather new and a bit scary!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • Aegaeon
    • By Aegaeon 25th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aegaeon
    Skoll post - Spam? Really?

It's a good question and I'd like to know the answer.... what tools are there to make long term planning easier (possible even?).
    • westv
    • By westv 25th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    westv
    4 posts. 4 suggestions to visit the same website. Likely SPAM. Reported as such.
    Originally posted by ex-pat scot
    Yes, spam but why did you quote it?
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 25th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Skoll post - Spam? Really?

It's a good question and I'd like to know the answer.... what tools are there to make long term planning easier (possible even?).
    Originally posted by Aegaeon
    I know it's long but have you read this thread from the beginning? Lots of tips in here!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

7,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin