Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amiga
    • By Amiga 10th Dec 09, 12:16 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 437Thanks
    Amiga
    Is it wrong to be looking forward to a BR Christmas?
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:16 PM
    Is it wrong to be looking forward to a BR Christmas? 10th Dec 09 at 12:16 PM
    Hello all,

I was cycling home from work this morning and saw all the peoples decorations and nice trees and all that. Just struck me for the first time in a few years I am not dreading Christmas. It's not christmas itself, it's the horrible feeling in January when the bills come rolling in. It did affect my christmas when I was spending, what I now see, as stupid sums on presents, food, drink etc.

Now I don't have kids so I know it is different for me, but this year for the first time in years I have manged to get the few presents I do get for family really cheaply by actually thinking it through, shopping around etc etc. See BR really has taught me a lesson!

Was just wondering what Christmas is like for the Bankrupts out there? Whatever you end up doing I hope its a magical time for you and yours
Page 1
  • scot88
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:22 PM
    I know just what you mean ! After worrying for the last4 years was made BR just a few days ago and even the thought of answering the door and the phone again has made my Christmas so much easier. My family know I wont be buying presents this year, but spending time together is much more important.

Amiga all the best to you and yours.
  • fatou256
    hi amiga like you i am not dreading anymore christmas because what I spend is what I can afford and i dont worry anymore about Credit card bill, overdraft who need to be repaid etc... . i think once you are Br you realize that christmas well it is not about the gift but to see your family and have a nice time and a few drinks along the way lol

BSC number 183
  • Bethankim
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:30 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:30 PM
    Nope not wrong at all, i have a set amount - annoyingly cant buy anything for my DS til the 23rd when i next get my benefit..shame i had to use my christmas stash for a council tax and rent bill..grrr however whoop i had the 180 saved up so all is not lost just means i have no money for extras.

my fmaily are all getting little bits and pieces and my DS knows my limit is 80 and thats it. the relief of knowing i have no big nasty bills to face and i dont owe a bean is marvelous.

I am going to start a little savings account with my local credit union in jan so next year i have it all saved up.

I dont have much, and despite all of my lifes difficulties this year..im blessed.

I hope you have a lovely christmas this year
    BR 2nd April 2009
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

• dojoman
    • By dojoman 10th Dec 09, 12:45 PM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 17,194 Thanks
    dojoman
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:45 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:45 PM
    With only just going BR, Christmas has not really entered my head, but like everyone says, it will be nice not having to worry about paying the bills after it is over. Hope everyone has a great Christmas and hopefully a great new year..
    B&SC No. 298
    Life`s Tragedy is that we get OLD too soon
    and WISE too late!
  • philnicandamy
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:54 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 12:54 PM
    Hiya amiga glad to hear your good!

is it wrong? most definatley NOT i'm on my 3rd bankrupt christmas soon & they get better every year...I never thought i'd be saving something every week away just for the nice feeling you get paying cash!

be looking forward to the next one as well seeing as it'll be our 1st childs 1st chrimbo in 2010!
  • Bethankim
    • 10th Dec 09, 1:05 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 1:05 PM
    [QUOTE=philnicandamy;27729647 be looking forward to the next one as well seeing as it'll be our 1st childs 1st chrimbo in 2010![/QUOTE]

now that will be a fabulous christmas..my DS is a grumpy grinch these days lol but he is 16
    BR 2nd April 2009

• philnicandamy
    • 10th Dec 09, 1:08 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 1:08 PM
    Ahh....16 hmm said to my OH hopefully he'll be leaving then! if not i'll advertise him on Ebay
    • Amiga
    • By Amiga 10th Dec 09, 1:30 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    Amiga
    • 10th Dec 09, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Dec 09, 1:30 PM
    Don't reckon the demand is there for 16 year old teenage boys Phil :P

You will need a LOW reserve me thinks

Wow this post looks slighty odd if taken in the wrong context
    • Dan_1976
    • By Dan_1976 10th Dec 09, 1:37 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    Dan_1976
    LEts get this back on track lol!

I went BR Dec last year, and yesterday I was automatically discharged! Whhoooopp!

Feels great and I am really looking forward to christmas. Last year was good all things considered!

This year will be great. We have not gone ott, we have no credit cards, its been tight but no debt to worry about! Next year will be better as I am going to start saving in Feb!

Merry xmas!
    "Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies." Thomas Jefferson
    "How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" Woody Allen

Debt Apr 2010 0
  • Bethankim
    it does, but it is nice to have a giggle too, in between the practical support the odd giggle does us the world of good too.

Apparently according to him, im allowed to get christmasy again when i become a granny..lordy im not even 40 yet..
    BR 2nd April 2009

• confused76
    • By confused76 10th Dec 09, 1:56 PM
    • 12,576 Posts
    • 26,552 Thanks
    confused76
    hi Amiga i'm glad you're looking forward to Christmas!
    i've dreaded Christmas for the last few years...yesterday i saw some nice decorations and heard a couple of tunes....i actually thought to myself hmmm i might actually be looking forward to this! i never do decorations...i think i might get a few bits to brighten the place up this year x

• In a Mess
    I know what you mean Amiga!

I went out this morning with my parents and picked up a few bits, and it was lovely to pay by cash and know that was that, I don't need to worry about a bill coming through the door in January.

Here to a fantastic BR christmas for us all.
  • mummytotwo
    Hi all, even though i dont go br until 25/1 im still looking forward to christmas this year, as i cant use any of my c/cards overdraft etc!!!!!! But i do know that any letters i get in the new year from creditors, i can for all intents and purposes ignore as i will be br by end of the month.
    I had got to the point whereby i dreaded the phone ringing and the mail in the mornings, all im worrying about is bringing my mortgage uptodate 3OO arrears by time of br as we want to buy our bi back, as we are in negative equity. Im doing this next week when i get paid.

Everyone knows they are getting 25.00 cash in their cards this year, as thats all we can afford. As my two kids are 21 mths and 9 mths, as long as they have a couple of presents each to open then im not worried as they are too young to understand and the grandparents i know have gone overboard anyway.

So all in all, even though we are not br this side of christmas, im looking forward to it, as it will mean a fresh start new years day. In face im looking forward to new years eve too, as we have decided not to go out this year and stay in and enjoy a takeaway together and look forward to our new start.

Sorry for the long post.
    • sizzler
    • By sizzler 10th Dec 09, 3:46 PM
    • 5,031 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    sizzler
    Hello all,

I was cycling home from work this morning and saw all the peoples decorations and nice trees and all that. Just struck me for the first time in a few years I am not dreading Christmas. It's not christmas itself, it's the horrible feeling in January when the bills come rolling in. It did affect my christmas when I was spending, what I now see, as stupid sums on presents, food, drink etc.

Now I don't have kids so I know it is different for me, but this year for the first time in years I have manged to get the few presents I do get for family really cheaply by actually thinking it through, shopping around etc etc. See BR really has taught me a lesson!

Was just wondering what Christmas is like for the Bankrupts out there? Whatever you end up doing I hope its a magical time for you and yours
    Originally posted by Amiga
    Really like post, My first Br christmas as well as many of my new friends on here. I am looking forward to it as I know many others are.

it just shows it not about materialistic things in life. But love familly and good friends.

Thanks all the best sizzler
  • philnicandamy
    Don't reckon the demand is there for 16 year old teenage boys Phil :P

You will need a LOW reserve me thinks

Wow this post looks slighty odd if taken in the wrong context
    Originally posted by Amiga

I think....we'll leave it there amiga
  • thegoodlife
    Great thread,This is our first christmas since being BR , I am really looking forward to it for the first time in years ,my heart feels light,and I am so focused on having a lovely family time, cant afford any expensive presents,have 3 young ones and been very selective in the gifts! Becoming bankrupt really has change my outlook onlife for the better despite the distress. Wishing you all a lovely Christmas x
  • nervousmother
    Same here first crimbo as a discharged BR, no expensive presents but some good bargains! bought some kind of christmas treat everyweek with my shopping since september.. having a feast this year and just got to buy Veg.. even turkey sorted! so no massive christmas shop!
    Think i will enjoy it more as its all paid for in advance and no scary bills in january!!
  • antiLorna
    Im waiting for news of my BR being released and i cant wait. I had debt problems for over 10 years. But even without the shadow of debt, i still feel a bit of dread at christmas. Ive never been a big fan of christmas and it may be because of my BR but i really am a miserable witch with money now. I cant bear to part with a penny. My dad was paid off last month, so my family all agreed to a 'homemade secret santa (max 10)', ive made a hamper of homemade goodies. We bought for his family but theres only 3 presents to buy there and they were all sourced online for the best deal - bout 100 in total. Ive been making cookie/soup/hot chocolate jars and chutneys and burning cds of music, films and audio books. We made up a hamper for granny with all her favorites, cod roe, primula cheese, merlot, scratch cards etc. Ive been buying up ingredients and things for a few months now just in with the weekly shopping. Ive spent about 60 on the jars and ingredients but ive made about 40 gifts, so plenty for all my friends, not so close relations, unexpected visitors and extra openers. Grannies hamper cost about 30 and I spent about the same on him, jars of jalepenos, nuts and sweets and a couple of books (all the things he'd squander his money on through the year)!! My daughter has only turned 2 so we can get away with fairly lame pressies (it was her birthday in october and really, there is nothing that the girl needs), i got her a kidorable rain set, coat, wellies and rucksack for 15 on ebay (rrp about 50 in a shop) and i got her jammies and some things for her stocking from the pound shop. I mustve spent about 250 in total (*gulp* that sounds like such a lot). I do have a fairly large family though.

But i suppose the good thing is that we still have a wage to come in before christmas and all our pressies are sorted. Thats the first time that has ever happened. No need for xmas eve impulse/guilt buying.

Anyway, congrats on the debt free xmas, it does feel good. All the best for 2010. Lx
    Never leave anywhere empty handed
  • rog2
    This is my fourth Christmas since my bankruptcy.

The first Christmas was, if anything, very similar to previous Christmases as we had still got a decent stock of 'wine and spirits' and had already purchased most of our presents before my actual Bankruptcy hearing.

My second Christmas, by which time I had already been discharged for over six months, was more 'realistic' in that we had very limited 'funds' for shopping. Our grown-up children contributed and, although the 'labels' on the wine may not have read 'Denominazione Origine Controlato' or 'Apelation Controlee', we had a great time.

This year will be the first Christmas for our grandson, and will, therefore, be our best Christmas ever. We have, bit by bit, been putting things away all year, so all we really need to do is a 'normal' food shop. I still haven't bought my 'presents' as I am waiting till payday (Friday) and will spend a maximum of 5 on each of six presents that I need to buy.

As with everything, post bankruptcy, we are now much more 'focused'. This year we are 'focused' on having a great time.

So a Happy Christmas to all of you.

Last edited by rog2; 16-12-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,262Posts Today

7,713Users online

Martin's Twitter