Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 8th Dec 09, 5:41 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 8th Dec 09, 5:41 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 5:41 PM
    If they're something that Penelope would wear and that would suit her, why not. Just as long as he isn't kidding himself and just palming them off regardless. Because if that's the case, he should eBay them and buy her something else.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • tsstss7
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:07 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:07 PM
    No. Definately not - a present is as much about the thought as the money. He should ebay the gifts and buy new.
    MSE PARENT CLUB MEMBER.
    ds1 nov 1997
    ds2 nov 2007
    First DD
    First DD born in june.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 8th Dec 09, 6:18 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:18 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:18 PM
    One present is surely enough.

He should give her the mug and punt the rest off on Ebay.

He gets some cash, Penelope gets a present, Ebayers get some bargains, everyone's a winner.

• Pete*G
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:20 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:20 PM
    in the spirit of true money saving, of course he should. although i second the idea of selling some of them on ebay and just giving her half/some of them.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 8th Dec 09, 6:30 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:30 PM
    • 8th Dec 09, 6:30 PM
    i'd do it of course
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • livin' next the cut
    • 9th Dec 09, 3:29 AM
    recycling xmas pressies - why not!?
    • 9th Dec 09, 3:29 AM
    seems to me that it makes good sense to recycle - if they're in perfect condition!

if the new gf is same size and likes same styles etc, seems utterly wasteful to give them away via ebay.

of course, if the previous relationship broke down soon after (early) purchase tom could have tried to return to shop but may have been foiled by 'no returns' policy on sale goods - MSE is this really fair?

whether to give all pressies to new gf depends on (a) how long the relationship, (b) how serious the relationship too; this could dictate overall value of pressies given!

so maybe, after all, it would be best to give some and sell some.......

totally debt free!

enjoying life... and looking for new gf!!! but no pressies to recycle! honestly!!! only buy when i know it's right...
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 9th Dec 09, 6:27 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • 9th Dec 09, 6:27 AM
    • 9th Dec 09, 6:27 AM
    I reckon that he should be a proper tightarse and in real money saving tradition give her one present a year from the ones he's already bought .
    Why mess around with half measures?

Personally, I would never buy clothing for a GF anyway. I just don't have the eye for that sort of thing. I would much rather get something that matches one of her interests.
    Last edited by Paulgonnabedebtfree; 09-12-2009 at 6:31 AM.
  • irrelevant
    • 9th Dec 09, 7:50 AM
    • 9th Dec 09, 7:50 AM
    Well it's not like he'd already given them to his ex..

I'd use at least some of them for presents, as I tend to keep several small things "in stock" myself, and mugs certainly are really just gimmicky things. Maybe not the lot, as other have said, it depends on how long they've been together as to how much he wants to invest in the relationship. But I would also make sure I bought something new with all the thought thrown in, to go with. Just so new gf knows she's special.
  • petabear
    Ebay it and buy her something nice! It's the thought that counts not the actual present, if i was given a pressie that was meant for an ex i'd be really upset about it. just don't spend anymore than you get for it on ebay.
    Petabear loves MSE!
    • yelowee
    • By yelowee 9th Dec 09, 8:00 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    yelowee
    Hey why not she'll never know
    • relaxtwotribes
    • By relaxtwotribes 9th Dec 09, 9:00 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    relaxtwotribes
    He should give Penelope "a few pairs of Levis" this year and save the "best girlfriend in the world" mug for next Christmas
  • millsey1509
    Course he should recycle otherwise he's not saving money and he's already missed frre listing day on ebay so that will cost him and he might not sell anyway. As long as current GF doesn't know where's the harm
  • dawsar
    Of course he should give his new girlfriend the mug and Levi jeans, if she is the same size. He is obviously being careful with money as he bought them in the January sale to save for Xmas. Where is the harm in giving them to the new girlfriend. Who wouldn't want a few pair of brand new Levi jeans?

We are very wasteful in today's society and this is one way of recycling without waste, as long as he can keep his mouth shut and not tell the new girlfriend that the presents were bought for the previous girlfriend!! haha.
  • Pamelamac
    The thought that counts!
    Yes he should give them to her. Although it would be insensitive to mention that he's had them for nearly a year.

One of the risks of buying in the January sales....maybe tempting fate..

Think how much better he'll feel having cared enough to give them to his new GF rather than off load them on ebay....
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 9th Dec 09, 9:27 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    If she didn't know he'd bought them for the other girlfriend I'd be inclined to give them to the new girlfriend. With that sheer dumb luck you'd be mad not to.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • archived user
    I don't think he should palm them off on her; what if they get serious and it comes out years hence? I'd hate it if someone gave me things recycled from an old relationship. However, he could fess up, offer them to her, if she wants them fine - though obviously they don't count as Xmas pressies then and he gets her something else - if she doesn't want them, sell them and spend the proceeds on a meal out - all honest and above board, no skeletons waiting to leap out on you later.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 9th Dec 09, 10:42 AM
    • 20,015 Posts
    • 15,146 Thanks
    Lokolo
    I want to meet this Tom, he gets a gf that quickly!?!?! I need some lessons!

Oh last year..... nm......

(who keeps presents for 11 months??!)
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 9th Dec 09, 11:00 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    Do Scientologists even celebrate Christmas...?

I don't see a problem with giving Penelope the jeans and mug, if Tom thinks she would like them. Strictly speaking, they aren't exactly Nicole's cast-offs. Perhaps He could add a little extra something to the parcel, just for Penelope, but as long as the gifts are given with love I know I wouldn't mind if a boyfriend had originally bought them with someone else in mind.
  • motherhen2234
    If they fit and are her style then give them to the new gf. Although probably only the one pair. I'd ebay the other and use that to buy her something more personal.Although under no circumstances mention where he got them from.

However I would ebay the best girl friend in the world mug. Perhaps thats tempting fate so early in the relationship!
    2013 Free Money - £363.44 Topcashback
    2014 Free Money - £59.84 Topcashback
    2015 Free Money (so far) - £186.33 Topcashback
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,700Posts Today

7,090Users online

Martin's Twitter