Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • paulie558
    • 9th Jan 05, 8:32 PM
    Re: megabus discussion
    • 9th Jan 05, 8:32 PM
    Havent tried megabus,but national express seem better.Fares 1 each way(no booking fee),more comfortable seats,and toilet on board .
    www.nationalexpress.com/funfares
  • Quackers
    • 9th Jan 05, 9:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 05, 9:18 PM
    I've never used Megabus but have read a thread on here previously.

From what I remember everyone said they were reliable & good value for money. The only downside was the age of the bus's - not in very good condition on the inside! Mind you I'm not sure I'd be too bothered for the price ;D

Hope that helps a bit :-/
  • Mr_Nick
    • 9th Jan 05, 9:22 PM
    • 9th Jan 05, 9:22 PM
    My friends reguarly use the Megabus to Bristol, and they absolutly hate it. But they continue to use it because it's 12 return for 2 people. So cheap.

They're just old buses, which have had high back seats put in. They're slow, noisly, and not very nice.

Takes about 4.5 hours from London to Bristol.
  • p3gg
    • 10th Jan 05, 12:10 AM
    • 10th Jan 05, 12:10 AM
    My friends reguarly use the Megabus to Bristol, and they absolutly hate it. But they continue to use it because it's 12 return for 2 people. So cheap.

They're just old buses, which have had high back seats put in. They're slow, noisly, and not very nice.

Takes about 4.5 hours from London to Bristol.
    I part agree, part disagree with Centurion.

I've travelled 4 or 5 times previously with megabus and have just booked again. The return leg of the most recent trip was unbelievably bad (temperature inside bus at start of journey about Gas Mark 6, rising steadily throughout journey, thankfully "only" Lon->Leic); the final 61 minutes were also travelled against background music, a high-pitched monotone bleep at approx. 100 strokes per second from the driver's cab (? ignition key / indicator playing up).

Like Centurion's friends, I continue to use megabus because it's cheap. Having said that I'm complaining vigorously to the company about the last experience, torture still being illegal in mainland Britain (Britain, Britain).

It's also worth saying that megabus is, in my experience, not slower than National Express, and in fact seems to be more punctual (presumably because its network isn't a complex one like NX).
    • LilacLillie
    • By LilacLillie 10th Jan 05, 12:34 AM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 10,237 Thanks
    LilacLillie
    • 10th Jan 05, 12:34 AM
    • 10th Jan 05, 12:34 AM
    I used megabus in Dec: London to Cardiff, morning service, no traffic. The bus going out was clean, comfortable, had a nice friendly driver, and certainly fast enough, 3 hrs door to door, with a 15mins coffee stop on route.
    The return journey took 4 hrs, hitting the outskirts of London traffic took about 1 hr 10, for a 15/20 min usual journey. Same driver, different smelly bus and uncomfortably hot for my companion ( not me 8) ). Both buses had a loo on, which I didn't dare venture to use.
    I'd use them again, they were no more uncomfortable than a coach or Nat: Express, and at 10 each, return journey very good value.
    LL
  • Fatboy_NSS
    • 10th Jan 05, 1:34 AM
    • 10th Jan 05, 1:34 AM
    For the price you can't fault megabus. My only tip would be to sit as close to the driver as possible. The bottom deck is normally far too hot due to the engine, while the top deck is normally freezing as the air con is turned up high to compensate. As the air con is controlled by the driver he'll have it set so the temperature is most normal near his seat!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 10th Jan 05, 1:55 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 10th Jan 05, 1:55 AM
    • 10th Jan 05, 1:55 AM
    Good tip from Fatboy, we travelled Bristol to London return and also suffered from the freezing air conditioning on the top deck.

Also, there will be NO room to store luggage so either book an extra seat and get there early so you will have two seats together to stow your luggage. If you have no luggage you will be fine.

We travelled as a family to London for a cheap day out, we went to the Science museum which was free and took our own lunch. I dont care if there are no comforts sometimes you just need to get somewhere as cheaply as you can, especially when there are 4 of you.
    • roberto
    • By roberto 14th Feb 05, 10:48 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    roberto
    • 14th Feb 05, 10:48 AM
    Travelling by night
    • 14th Feb 05, 10:48 AM
    Does anyone have any tips for travelling by night.

I often fly into Stansted around 11pm and by the time I have collected my bags it's often 11:30.

I'd like to get up to Hull on a budget of 30 pounds without having to sleep in a doorway somewhere.

It seems by the time I have made my way to London, trains and coaches Northbound have all stopped for the night.

National express, megabus and all rail services (as far as I can see) seem to be of no use at this time of night and unless you know a chartitable taxi driver I can't see a way round this.

Any help would be much appreciated

Roberto
  • UKJubilee
    Megabus from Bristol
    I use Megabus and Fun fairs on National Express from Britol to London loads...I prefer Megabus but go by cost and how well the times suit my needs.

Megabus are about the same as National Express in comfort...they have both broken own on me and the drivers were pretty cool about it.

The travel time is about the same and Megabus drops you in London at virtually the same place...as to going from Bristol...Megabus works for me best as it does both the City Centre and the Eastville Tesco stop!!!

As to freezing...my experience with faulty AC was it was cooking...my tip on that don't sit on the back seat!
  • lozzybooo
    we used mega bus to from manchester to london it was a bumpy ride and the bus was uncomfortable but for the price who could beat it! comping back people were jumping over my children to get good seats on the bus it was like kids round an ice cream van!!!!!! never seen anything like it!!! but once we was on it it was ok. the bus was clean you either get an old shabby thing or a nice new bus its the look of the drawer really. to get on the bus you have to pay online and they will send you a confirmation email you then take this email and hand it to the driver. would reccomend mega bus to you for a cheap ride to london. we found a cheap guest house 10 mins from buckingham palace too it was lovely very clean and everyone was friendly
    Lozzybooo
  • SooTee
    Travelling by night
    I have the same problem getting to King's Lynn. OK to Cambridge then der "you'll have to wait 'til morning!! Very frustrating, as only other option seems to be to take car and pay for parking and petrol.
  • commuter
    megabus in scotland
    As a regular long distance bus user I have been well placed to observe the dramatic decline in the quality and reliability of service since the megabus 'takeover' of the formerly excellent citylink operations. This has now reached a point where many longstanding commuters are being forced to use their cars instead. Others have simply given up on commuting altogether and have taken less well paid jobs elsewhere.

Megabus now have a virtual monopoly of intercity services north of the border and are already starting to screw every last drop of profit out of the business. this takes two main forms - reducing costs and increasing prices.

On the cost side the megabus fleet seems to be extremely unreliable, with frequent breakdowns and other mechanical problems. Every spare minute has been removed from the timetable, with the result that one service I use every day has never yet run on time in over two months of operation. For comparison, the citylink service service it replaced has been late on two occasions in the previous 4 years. Many other services simply fail to appear and passengers with tickets booked for the missing service are forced to buy wait for the next service then, if there is room, buy another much more expensive ticket.

Driver retention and training is another important area of neglect. Experienced former citylionk drivers have been made redundant or are resigning in disgust. The replacements are then given little in the way of training and support. In one recent incident a new stagecoach driver nearly drove his double decker under a low bridge. On other occasions drivers have simply not known where they were going or how to get there. On every occasion the megabus response has been to blame the driver. However it is clear to everyone involved that the blame really lies with senior management of stagecoach

On the prices side, the adage about getting what you pay for has never been more true. If you cannot afford a 50% chance of significant delays then do not consider using megabus. However, if your time is not valuable then please do take advantage of the cheap fares while you can. The ticket machines on Scottish buses are already being reprogammed with new higher prices. Had I not seen the imcompetence of stagecoach/megabus management at first hand I might believe that they might invest more cash in the service. However, everything they have said or done since the takeover suggests the opposite is the case.

One useful tip is to make sure you use the megabus website if booking tickets online. Despite megabus in scotland now apprently being just a brand of citylink, the same ticket on the same bus may cost over 17 times as much on the citylink website as it does on the megabus site. Feel free to draw your own conclusions on what stagecoach are doing to the citylink brand, .

Final caveat - anyone travelling to or via Perth should check their journey details extremely carefully. Many so called direct buses will drop you at Broxden - a windy car park on the edge of the bypass, several miles from the town centre with little or no information or help available and often no way of getting to Perth except on foot. For anyone changing buses in Perth please also check where each bus stops. Many drivers are unaware of what connections are available from Perth bus station and what ones are available from Broxden. Get it wrong and you will have a long cold wait ahead of you.
  • melancholly
    I don't personally know about megabus, but on my last trip with national express from london to nottingham there were tv screens with plug-in points to put in (the free) headphones with various comdedy/sports shows. We even arrived about 40 mins early! I've never had the tvs before with national express but the service and comfort ranked higher than the last time I flew trans-atlantic! If you can book early enough to get funfares, it's a pretty good service for 1 each way!
  • Copjunk2
    My husband has used the Perth-Glasgow service since last easter and found it to be very reliable and extremely cheap. The buses are usually fairly new. I know that there have been a lot of complaints about the Edinburgh -Perth service since Megabus has amalgamated with Citylink but the local MSP is now involved and Megabus say they will look at sorting out problems. I used the Perth-Edinburgh service a number of times prior to the Citylink amalgamation and always travelled on good quality coaches and arrived on (or before) time.

Could be we get the best coaches in Perth as we all know where Mr Souter lives!

As a Moneysavingexpert we have saved c250\month using Megabus rather than Scotrail.
  • khizman
    used it once,
    got me from a-b and thats all.

if the seats are 1 book 2 each, then you have more room
  • Titfield
    Megabus uses a variety of vehicles:

Some are brand new state of the art neoplan double decker coaches - which cost a great deal of money.

Others are fairly old 10 years plus double decker buses albeit fitted with high backed seats. These buses (Leyland Olympians) tend to be fairly noisy and uncomfortable. There are also some single decker coaches (Volvo B10M) of advancing years - these are more comfortable than the old double decker buses but again are not in the same league as the brand new neoplans.

Im not sure how with any certainty you can tell which vehicles will be use don which route but Bournemouth certainly has the old variety,
  • sainthalo
    COMPLAINT

I noticed some have complained to megabus about terrible journies - did anyone get a response from megabus? They ignored me completely and i posted and emailed it correctly so i know they got it. Im thinking of posting the complaint in this thread - it was really dangerous what happened.
  • smartperson
    Megabus-Citylink old smelly buses
    My recent experience of Megabus in Scotland was so bad that I would strongly recommend NOT using this service. The bus was an old double-decker, uncomfortable and with poor ventilation. The bus shook all the way from Aberdeen to Glasgow and slowed down noticeably on any uphill slope. The luggage facilities were inadequate and also slowed down the journey (as passengers struggled to retrieve bags from the front of the bus). This service has now merged with Citylink in Scotland, so there appears to be no way of choosing between a 'normal' comfortable coach service and an unpleasant one. The argument that 'you get what you pay for' doesn't hold here - it seems to be a lottery which service you get - and there appears to be no choice.
  • fudgem
    We used Megabus in April this year, Leeds to London and back, total 4 for the two of us. Brand new bus both going and coming, no complaints whatsoever, would definitely use it again.

Some you win and some you lose, glad I was on the winning side for once
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter