Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • KimmieJ
    • 4th Dec 09, 9:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 09, 9:02 PM
    Note - Registration required to actually view recipes.
  • rosered100
    • 5th Dec 09, 8:35 AM
    • 5th Dec 09, 8:35 AM
    I've used this website for a couple of years (no registration required) for some different ideas.
    http://christmas.organizedhome.com/gifts-crafts-gift-tags/gifts-in-a-jar

and this one for some lovely homemade chocolates
    http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Processing_Food/Home-made_chocolates/
    • Kimitatsu
    • By Kimitatsu 5th Dec 09, 8:44 AM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 7,834 Thanks
    Kimitatsu
    • 5th Dec 09, 8:44 AM
    • 5th Dec 09, 8:44 AM
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martinís asked me to post this in these circumstances: Iíve asked Board Guides to move threads if theyíll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • inamar
    • 5th Dec 09, 10:20 AM
    • 5th Dec 09, 10:20 AM
    Thank you I was wondering actually if that`s the right place.Now I know.
    Happy savings!!!
  • vl2588
    • 11th Nov 11, 6:53 PM
    Homemade Christmas Gifts (lemon)
    • 11th Nov 11, 6:53 PM
    Hi all, sorry to create another thread, have followed Sqeaky's advice and still cannot find what I am looking for. I feel sure that a thread with recipes for this sort of thing exists but I cannot find it!

I have quite a few lemons to use up and had the idea of using them to make HM Christmas gifts. Please could anyone suggest anything?

So far I have thought of:

Lemon curd
    Limoncello (bit expensive!)
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
  • seajaxx
    • 11th Nov 11, 7:06 PM
    • 11th Nov 11, 7:06 PM
    Lemon marmalade (yum) here I've made this and it's lovely!
    Moroccan preserved lemons (very cheap and easy and unusual) here good in Moroccan food. I made some for some foodie friends and they were delighted.
    Limoncello is gorgeous! (even if it is a wee bit pricey)
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 11th Nov 11, 7:15 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 11th Nov 11, 7:15 PM
    • 11th Nov 11, 7:15 PM
    The complete jam, chutney and other preserves thread. Click Here
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 11th Nov 11, 7:47 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 11th Nov 11, 7:47 PM
    • 11th Nov 11, 7:47 PM
    And all sorts of threads on lemons: lemon threads here on Old Style MoneySaving
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 11th Nov 11, 7:56 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    Lemon Curd! I absolutely love it! would be thrilled if someone made me a jar (large please)!
    I am also partial to candied lemon slices. (hint).
    failing that - you could also send me Lemon Meringue Pie - Its my favourite dessert! (I am not sweet toothed and love something both tart and sweet to finish a meal (I mean if I absolutely have to do a dessert!) and if someone else makes it so much the better.
    Aldi do a Lemon cheesecake - thats delish too - perhaps there is a recipe out there in tinterland?
    • Emmala
    • By Emmala 11th Nov 11, 8:23 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 2,307 Thanks
    Emmala
    Lemon curd would be a lovely gift!!
  • mi jardin
    Could you stud them with cloves like you would an orange? I've never tried it, but I guess you could.

• vl2588
    Thanks all for the suggestions, most tempted by lemon marmalade but I must not use my own tastes to guide my choice of gift for others!
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 13th Nov 11, 6:33 PM
    • 23,092 Posts
    • 60,819 Thanks
    meritaten
    Wellllll - No Lemon Curd? ok - Lemon Marmalade sounds delish! I usually prefer the tangier Lime marmalade - must make some Lemon Marmalade, see if its just as nice! Thanks for the idea!
  • vl2588
    Can't make lemon curd due to the fridge requirement! Everyone has far to travel at Christmas including me, so it won't survive
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Nov 11, 10:36 AM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    ive merged this with our homemade food gifts thread

This question was asked before about lemon curd - and someone suggested lemon cheese?

Is lemon drizzle cake any use?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• vl2588
    Very nice but only uses one lemon (plus another for zest I think). I will be making some form of cake, just not for using up lemons purposes

Thanks all
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Nov 11, 8:00 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Two years ago i made decorations with orange slices. I studded them with cloves, dried them on the radiator on kitchen roll. Then i thread them with ummmm giftwrap string or ribbon. I glittered and decorated some and everyone wanted one. Everyone thought they were gorgeous

They look very blue peter but the pics didn't do them justice at all

Pics - here,
    here
    here
    here

they would work with lemon if you're crafty and have time on your hands.

I think im going to make some this year, everyone went mad for them. I really wish the pics did them justice Mum thought i had lost the plot

Last edited by zippychick; 17-11-2011 at 8:18 PM.

• vl2588
    I love that idea!
    Mortgage wanabee fund:
    £
    /£15,000 107%

Whoop whoop!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Nov 11, 9:20 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Thanks! they were a labour of love but very therapeutic. Do let me know if you make them - i need pics!!!! Oranges are going on my list soon

If you look in the pound shops you can get the present confetti in all shapes and sizes, you can decorate with all sorts of things. Keep scraps of ribbon too and bag yourself some cheap glitter. Happy days.

The more i did, i learnt you need to anchor the bow/ribbon to ensure it doesnt turn to one side. SO you knot it so it hangs centrally if that makes sense.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,728Users online

Martin's Twitter