Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spinningsheep
    • By spinningsheep 3rd Dec 09, 7:38 PM
    • 969Posts
    • 749Thanks
    spinningsheep
    Home baked pressies?
    • 3rd Dec 09, 7:38 PM
    Home baked pressies? 3rd Dec 09 at 7:38 PM
    Hi people. I am seriously unable to afford to splash out at all this xmas, so, I thought maybe I might bake instead. Some nice xmas biscuits, rum truffles, flapjacks etc and package them up nice in small boxes or cellophane and make like a little hamper, then that way its alot cheaper than buying things and its alot more personal, just wonder what others think? Dont want to offend anyone buy not buying anything, but I can't see I have much option!
Page 1
  • willa
    • 3rd Dec 09, 7:43 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 7:43 PM
    That sounds lovely! Very thoughtful and will be obvious it took time, care and effort.
    Have you got odd bits lying around house that you can decorate them with? You can get ribbon dead cheap sometimes from markets, sometimes bags of lengths of different ribbons. Also empty jars for preserves if you were going to go down that road?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

' Beam me up NOW Scotty!'

• angelavdavis
    • By angelavdavis 3rd Dec 09, 8:21 PM
    • 4,705 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    angelavdavis
    • 3rd Dec 09, 8:21 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 8:21 PM
    I think Homemade pressies are a lovely idea! I saw some lovely recipes in the Christmas magazines in the GPs today and thought I wished my MiL wasn't such a snob about presents.

Might be worth you checking out the Xmas Moneysaving forum, lots of ideas on there!
    Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!
  • willa
    • 3rd Dec 09, 8:25 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 8:25 PM
    Or cannabalise your Christmas cards off other people and stick nice pics from them on the hampers to decorate cost-free?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

' Beam me up NOW Scotty!'

• nic_santorini
    • By nic_santorini 3rd Dec 09, 8:57 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    nic_santorini
    • 3rd Dec 09, 8:57 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 8:57 PM
    i would be happy to receive such gifts. I bought little trays from hobbycraft last year and bought retro sweets from wilkos and made an 80's retro sweet box and decorated it with printed banner from the computer and ribbon, everyone loved them, then saw similar things for 10-15!! cost me 3!! each and they were great. Go for it.
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 3rd Dec 09, 9:05 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    rosekitten
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:05 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:05 PM
    those mini sweet/cake cases 44p in asda
    bake mini muffins in them or get a
    bar of chocolate27p in Asda,make
    mini rice crispy cakes.Really popular
    with the kids and the adults too who
    always fancy these things and seem to
    prefer the neat size.
  • MrsE
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:09 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:09 PM
    I would love to recieve prezzies like that.
    Have you thought of Chutneys & maybe jams and shortbread
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 3rd Dec 09, 9:16 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:16 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:16 PM
    I am making 6 gingerbread houses this year for young un's plus old fashioned coconut ice, truffles and peanut brittle for the oldies
  • jennihen
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:23 PM
    • 3rd Dec 09, 9:23 PM
    I made biscotti last year for my more 'cosmopolitan' friends - ok the snobbier ones!!!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 3rd Dec 09, 9:29 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    A tin of shortbread only needs flour butter and sugar. Don't be tempted to use marge, it just isn't the same!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 3rd Dec 09, 9:30 PM
    • 3,431 Posts
    • 20,884 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I made biscotti last year for my more 'cosmopolitan' friends - ok the snobbier ones!!!
    Originally posted by jennihen
    Do you have a recipe? THat is such a good idea!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • lisa26
    • By lisa26 3rd Dec 09, 9:33 PM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 7,667 Thanks
    lisa26
    I'm making biscotti for presents, I got the recipe from either the BBC good food or delicous magazine website, if you search 'christmas biscotti' in their recipe search you'll find it. I'm also making chocolates.....glace cherries soaked in the brandy leftover from making the xmas puds then coated in chocolate yummmmmmm!
  • jennihen
    Will search it out tomorrow for you - it was out of Good Housekeeping so might be on their website. Easy and reliable and a few different varieties!!
    Catch up tomoz
    JH
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 3rd Dec 09, 9:37 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    I'd love to recieve a home made hamper.

Without being cheeky, its a post I made on xmas thread, has some easy reciepies

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=27049685&highlight=#post27049685

theres a few ideas as well on the thread for xmas hampers and tricks to make gifts look more expensive.

xx
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    I have bought presents, but everyone is getting and extra one, a jar of homemade jam. They were going to get chutney too but it was too good and we have eaten most of it.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Oscar Wilde
  • katholicos
    A home made gift is a perfectly acceptable present to offer. It shows thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit, particularly at Christmas. There are so many things that can be made without a great deal of expenditure but that look and taste sumptuous and classy. You still have time to make jam and chutney. I made Delia's Christmas Chutney a few weeks ago but it only needs a few weeks to mature (and in fact i ate some with bread and cheese after i made it and it was delish!).

If i were to give you a tip it would be to 'dress' your home made gifts. Make or print off home made labels,tags etc and maybe do what i did which was purchase a 15 metre roll (you can get a 5 metre roll) of cellophane from ebay...it cost me about 6 and it will last me years hopefully.

I bought some cheap ribbon.....you know that stuff you tie around presents, that thin ribbon that comes in gold, silver, red and green...well at home bargains they had it for 18p for a roll of it and it also came with one matching bow so i have fancied up the home made gifts and they look as good (IMHO) as some of the 'so called home made' preserves on sale in the garden centre.
    • Nottoobadyet
    • By Nottoobadyet 3rd Dec 09, 11:02 PM
    • 1,745 Posts
    • 5,826 Thanks
    Nottoobadyet
    Sorry if this has already been covered on the Xmas thread, but does anyone have tips on good places to get hampers? I'd like to make baked presents and give them in something worth keeping, but not if it costs more than a store bought present would!
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 3rd Dec 09, 11:56 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    rosekitten
    I think the price of hapers in the shops
    are quite high this year,there is no way a
    shop bought one could end up costing
    less than a home made one,whether your
    filling it with hiomemade or shop bought
    goodies
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 4th Dec 09, 12:35 AM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    Just a thought instead of going for an actual hamper, try baskets, a lot of people use Wilkinsons, or old shoe boxes, wrapped in xmas paper, and inside use some spare xmas paper, put it through the shredder, instance base.
    At the end of the day, the hamper would just be collecting dust, or chucked away xx
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • jexygirl
    • By jexygirl 4th Dec 09, 12:57 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    jexygirl
    Im new here so many things i say may be already posted but here is a couple of things, tho may not be alot of help but here goes!
    *EDIT IT WONT LET ME POST LINK!!! IM TOO NEW*
    go to vistaprint.co.uk

I have been using them for years for buisness and pleasure, and atm, they have alot of free offers, such as free calenders, tee shirts, bags, and pens etc. you just pay postage. You can upload pics (for extra cost ofc) and it may take you a little time to personalise as you want to, but they have some fab free offers, I just got a lot of "freebies" for a quiz Im holding as PR prizes - also a good tip for cheap party invites (use the free buisness cards) and all sorts. Some natty ideas that are more personal and dont break the bank.
    Also alot of companies I note are offering free samples atm, baileys springs to mind with their coffee version, mine arrived within a few days - could be a nice addition to a hamper, but also a nice free touch to a baileys chocolate mousse i made! Add it into your cookies / cakes recipes for that added bit of luxury and most free offers you can register for online.
    My polish waitress makes a huge batch of gingerbread as presents for people, she spends the day cooking, and makes a hellish mess in my kitchen,(which she always helps me clean up lol :P) she makes stars and shapes and names and painstakingly decorates them in elaborate patterns, but to watch her have so much fun (all to the sound of xmas music and her dancing!) and to recieve a beautifully decorated name or decoration that I know gave her pleasure and me too, is the most wonderful present ever!
    GL
    Jex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

858Posts Today

6,364Users online

Martin's Twitter